PDA

View Full Version : Why do estate agents in Tenerife advertise properties that have already been sold?

Cat Woman
25-06-2012, 23:16
A large percentage of Estate Agent sites have lovely property advertised, but when I enquire they have gone! Some even advertise property too cheap to be real, of course these have all ''gone'' when I enquire.
After making various enquiries I found out this is'nt uncommon.
I phoned up about a rental property today and it had been sold 2 years ago!!:confused:
One lady had her Villa on a site advertised for half of what she was asking for on another site, her details had been taken off one site and put on to another without her permission. Whats the point?:confused:
Are there any estate agents who only advertise what is actually available and up date their web site regular?
We are looking for a 2 or 3 bed Villa, House or Finca with 2 bathrooms and with some land or a biggish garden, plus a garage and/or store room.
Could someone reccommend a good estate agent who may be able to help us? Or does anyone know of any such properties in the South?
Thank you.:)

Foz
26-06-2012, 09:53
Frustrating isn't it? Another reason why agents should be better regulated out here!

CIM
26-06-2012, 10:59
I only know of one agent who advertised fake prices. They always had the lowest price and nothing was ever available for viewing and they "hinted" that they were a "clever way of hooking people in" but they have now gone out of business. I donīt know of any others doing this though.

Owners may very well find their properties listed with other agents as agents share listings quite frequently - in fact it may be wise to steer clear of agents who donīt do this if you are looking to sell. I let people know I am doing this and have never had any complaints.

I keep my own site as up to date as I can, but Iīll sometimes spot an old property showing up which I have missed - this is quickly rectified. Sold properties are left on the site but marked as sold - I have good reasons for doing this and the search option allows you to only search properties currently for sale. A lot of websites are no longer "live" - agents have simply stopped updating them, gone out of business etc and left their website to fade so you will find a lot of this. Plus if you consider some agents list over 1,000 properties on their websites (something I personally find ridiculous - 1,000 unhappy owners to deal with each month?) then obviously they are going to have major issues keeping that lot up to date.

I have a load of properties which would fit your criteria but it depends very much on your budget and I only deal with sales - not rentals.

Cat Woman
26-06-2012, 18:20
We don't want to buy anywhere, we are looking to rent long term.
Its just happened again this morning, enquired about a property to be told it was rented out over a year ago! We will find somewhere suitable eventually.

YOUNG GOLFER
26-06-2012, 18:44
Why don't you send a email to every agent telling them what you are looking for.......you only have to type it once then copy and paste it.
Think this would be your best option in finding something that suits you.
Better still start here on the forum start a new thread.....i am sure you will get more positive feedback.

delderek
26-06-2012, 19:17
You can also go on many sites and find a "sold notice", look a little further, and probably sold a year ago (just check the euro/pound conversion shown on many of them). Until these agents really form a proper marketing group, i,e check out property in Florida, clever integrated and professional. or even "Right Move" in UK. Some agents giving total size inc terrace some giving size plus terrace, photographs taken with little thought to final product, 90% in Florida have 360 views, which has got to be the way to market You Tenerife guys have a long way to go.

Cat Woman
26-06-2012, 22:52
Why don't you send a email to every agent telling them what you are looking for.......you only have to type it once then copy and paste it.
Think this would be your best option in finding something that suits you.
Better still start here on the forum start a new thread.....i am sure you will get more positive feedback.
I have already sent an email to every rental estate agent.
I also started a post on 20th June asking theres any Villas, Houses or Fincas to rent long term, over 100 views but no replies.

YOUNG GOLFER
26-06-2012, 23:01
I also started a post on 20th June asking theres any Villas, Houses or Fincas to rent long term, over 100 views but no replies.

Ok well done i never knew that.....maybe you could change the title of this thread to Rental Estate Agents then we know where your coming from.

CIM
26-06-2012, 23:20
You can also go on many sites and find a "sold notice", look a little further, and probably sold a year ago (just check the euro/pound conversion shown on many of them). Until these agents really form a proper marketing group, i,e check out property in Florida, clever integrated and professional. or even "Right Move" in UK. Some agents giving total size inc terrace some giving size plus terrace, photographs taken with little thought to final product, 90% in Florida have 360 views, which has got to be the way to market You Tenerife guys have a long way to go.

I agree, some of the websites here are appalling. Iīd like to think both Young Golfers website http://PropertiesAreUs.com and my own http://TenerifeEstateAgents.net are better than average. We go to great lengths to obtain full information about properties and get good photos (not going out during calimas and on cloudy days to do take ons etc)

We are part of the largest inter agency marketing group in Spain and inter agency collaboration is something we do a lot of. But the system is a back end admin programme so is not visible to the public. One issue I do have when collaborating is some of the photos am I sent, I hate bad photos - really hate putting them on my site!

We are well aware of the shortcomings of estate agents and the websites they use here and put a lot of time, money and effort into pushing the standards in Tenerife when it comes to marketing. The 360 is something I have already looked into. The problem is in the US everything is done on a sole agency basis so you can spend a lot more time, money and effort safe in the knowledge that if your extensive marketing efforts lead to a sale, you will get paid. Not so in Tenerife. Here owners just hand out properties willy nilly to all and sundry, without a care in the world as to how much effort you put in.

A lot of owners dont seem to care who has done the first viewing, if a different agent turns up with a client for the second viewing or another agent tries stealing the sale half way through. I have had owners trying to slip their details to buyers on viewings, leaving phone numbers pinned up in their properties for the potential buyer to contact them direct. Or just cutting a deal after the buyer goes back and knocks on the door to stitch the agent up.
So whilst the agents and the marketing is not the same as the US neither are the ethics of a lot of the buyers and sellers on the island.

YOUNG GOLFER
26-06-2012, 23:31

You say you have already sent email to every Agent....yet in your 1st post you ask for members to reccommend one....and i have got to say i see you 2 or 3 times a week and you never asked me?

slodgedad
27-06-2012, 00:28

Your OP was regarding properties for sale, not rent.

Cat Woman
27-06-2012, 11:40
I thought you just do sales, sorry if Ive got that wrong.
I asked for recommendations as I may have missed an agent, I dont think Ive covered all the Spanish agents, plus if someone knows of someone who wants to rent their property out private without an agent.

sunseeker
27-06-2012, 12:29
Your OP was regarding properties for sale, not rent.

it does say rent if u look closely but its not obvious.

Cat Woman
27-06-2012, 15:11
You say you have already sent email to every Agent....yet in your 1st post you ask for members to reccommend one....and i have got to say i see you 2 or 3 times a week and you never asked me?
Ive just looked on your website and I cant find any rentals.

YOUNG GOLFER
27-06-2012, 15:25
Ive just looked on your website and I cant find any rentals.

This is our new site and at the moment we are busy listing new properties for sale which is taking up a lot of time....
However I do have something along the lines of what your looking for but the owner won't take tenants with lots of pets.

Cat Woman
27-06-2012, 15:45
This is our new site and at the moment we are busy listing new properties for sale which is taking up a lot of time....
However I do have something along the lines of what your looking for but the owner won't take tenants with lots of pets.
Cat :hellokitty: Woman :hellokitty: comes :hellokitty: with :hellokitty: Cats! :hellokitty:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Cat :hellokitty: Woman :hellokitty: comes :hellokitty: with :hellokitty: Cats!

Suej
27-06-2012, 16:06
I was also wondering about your predicament having so many of our little furry friends! you would be looking for something with sheltered space outside too I would imagine. I don't think it will be easy Sharon but I'm sure you will find something suitable! Good luck!

andy pandy
27-06-2012, 23:25
We have been having the same problem for quite sometime. Every time we have contacted agents and we have contacted quite a few we are told the property is rented. If anyone knows of a village house or finca for long term rental then please contact us. We are in the UK at present. We have references. We are retired and we have 2 small well behaved 7 years old dogs. Thanks.:devil2:

Balcony
28-06-2012, 10:05
Just on the subject of the original post, I concur. I have contacted agents - I hasten to add, not those who posted on this thread - about seemingly 'amazing' properties only to find the sold sign came up. That has happened both on line and at street level in Los Cristianos. It happens in the UK too...as was said just a hook to catch a passing fish!