PDA

View Full Version : Can a non resident own a Car in Tenerife?

Len77
14-06-2011, 16:53
Can anybody help ?

My question is can a non resident own and operate a car in Tenerife?

Any information on car insurance for non resents.

Thanks in anticipation...............

Jackie
14-06-2011, 16:54
As long as they have an NIE number yes...

Suej
14-06-2011, 16:59
Can anybody help ?

My question is can a non resident own and operate a car in Tenerife?

Any information on car insurance for non resents.

Thanks in anticipation...............

When we bought a new car here (as non-residents) we were asked for a current "Certificado de Empadriamento" we bought the car cash so didnīt really understand that! :confused:

Pooh
14-06-2011, 17:08
The "Certificado de Empadriamento" is needed for the registration of the car. (To know where the tax is to be paid.)
But you don't need to be resident to get that.
I bought my car before becoming resident. (In fact, I'm not officially resident, yet.)

Suej
14-06-2011, 17:29
The "Certificado de Empadriamento" is needed for the registration of the car. (To know where the tax is to be paid.)
I bought my car before becoming resident. (In fact, I'm not officially resident, yet.)

Thanks Pooh I couldnīt remember the reason we needed it, we had an expired one and just got it renewed at the time...they are only valid for 6 months.

bonitatime
15-06-2011, 07:17
The reason you have to be living here ie have a certificado de Empadronamiento is to do with the amount of tax on a new car. The tax on the mainland is much higher and without the certificate mainlanders could come over buy a new car and take it home.

dede
15-06-2011, 07:40
I know loads of swallows that only live here for a few months at a time that own cars, so it is possible.

doreen
15-06-2011, 08:00

To get this Certificate, you will need a rental contract or the title deeds to a property - bring those along to your local Town Hall (Cultural Centre for Arona, Town Hall building in Adeje etc) ... state it is to buy a car as it is a different formula to the normal Empadriamento.

You should have no problems about car insurance - have proof of any No Claims Bonus from home and it will be applied to the insurance here.

... and be sure to charge the battery :)