PDA

View Full Version : Other Expats can be so anal

carpenter
01-07-2012, 13:13
Myself and my wife were visiting someone for the first time yesterday let me describe where it was.
Just in case the people I'm talking about are in any doubt it's them.

It was in a small neighboring village near San Miguel. The house was off the main road and then onto an even quieter lane so not exactly prime Fanabe real estate.

I parked at the end of the lane on a piece of wasteland, next to the house that we were visiting. After two hours we returned to our car to see someone had parked across it blocking us in despite there being loads of other space to park in. I sounded the horn and I expected someone to come out apologising saying they just left their car there to quickly get something from the house or something similar to this.

Eventually a couple in their senior years came out of their house and towards the car that was blocking us in.

I asked if it was their car and they replied "yes!"
They came right up to me and said "you know you can't park there don't you?"
"No" I said
"That's our parking space and if we had friends come over they wouldn't be able to park there"
"Well" I said "if you had a sign up telling me not to park there I wouldn't have parked there"
"that's not the point, we shouldn't have to, we blocked you in to teach you a lesson"
My response was "Well I'm very sorry about that but seeing as my wife is 81/2 months pregnant it's a good job we didn't need to leave in a rush then it wouldn't be so funny would it?"

Soooo Anal, get a life.

Angusjim
01-07-2012, 13:33
Tourists have known this for years :cheeky::whistle:

candy2411
01-07-2012, 13:39
It's not just Expats, the world is full of them!

that is, awkward, egotistical people full of their own importance, I know cos I think I've met most of them, none on here I assure you :whistle:

well maybe the odd one or two , but they've already been mentioned on an other thread:raspberry:

Malteser Monkey
01-07-2012, 13:41
pathetic and you are right put up a sign if it's that important eh -

Peanuts
01-07-2012, 14:14
A few moons ago, I used to have an old banger .. best car I ever had. It's my philosophy on driving that you need to own a 'Rolls Royce' or an old banger. People respect both for different reasons. The Rolly for obvious reasons, the old banger? .. because they know you won't give a **** so they tend to respect these too. Anyway my story is similar to yours .. empty car park .. blocked in .. sounded horn, only difference when my old codger came out and told me I couldn't park there he buggered off back into his house grinning and left me sat there. Not a problem for a seasoned old banger driver though .. just drove my car at his till it swung out of the way .. put a lovely long dent and scratch marks along the side of his car .. brilliant .. and it hardly damaged my old banger .. bad mix that - private property and an old banger driver = no insurance claim :laugh:

carpenter
01-07-2012, 14:22
I must admit Peanuts I was sizing up the window and a nearby rock.

chifleta
01-07-2012, 16:06
I agree, it's not just ex-pats... there is a local family that lives on the corner of my street, and the son (who's in his late 30s) used to come out screaming at people that parked in front of his garage. Now this man and his parents own the building on the corner (ground floor garage, 1st and 2nd floor apartment and roof terrace) PLUS a 6 apartment building in Guargacho, PLUS they did have their own bar which they've traspasoed.... so not exactly SKINT ENOUGH TO NOT PAY FOR A VADO (Ayto. official placard/licence to stop people parking in front.... depending where the garage/private parking is, approx, 50euros per annum? (this has probably gone up over the years, so i'm sure someone will correct me, as it's been over 5 years since I organised one for anyone)).... anyhoos, if you actually own the land/parking/garage doors, fine, but you have to pay for a licence which gives you the RIGHT to warm someone that they can't park in front, and also gives you the right to call the grua to remove offending vehicle.... so more than anal, i'd say tightwad....

BRAVO peanuts, and I bet we all would have loved to be a fly on the wall seeing that miserable old codgers face when he saw what you did hehehehe :devil:

marbro8
01-07-2012, 18:43
i think i posted this on another tread a few months ago, but it happened to me a few years ago, a dog warden van parked down the middle of a 2 sided car park so that at least 6 cars could not get out, so i gave it about 20 mins just in case they where on an emergency call, then smashed the driver window got in and let off the handbrake, moved the van down far enough for me to get out then moved it back,sorry but if you are going to act like a nob then you deserve to be treated like one:nono:

Tom & Sharon
01-07-2012, 19:10
I rent a top floor apartment in Warrington when in England.
The car parking to the rear is unmarked,but there are plenty of spaces for the amount of apartments.
Recently someone moved in a three storey house on the estate who has TWO parking spaces,we all know because on the first day in his new house he pinned two notices telling everyone about his TWO parking spaces on his back fence.
They very quickly fell off his fence and blew over into his back garden :whistle:

I parked in one of his places one morning (which I had used for the previous 18 months before he moved in)and some days later had a scribbled note on my windscreen!!

He came over to me one morning (whilst getting into my car to go to work) to remonstrate for having the temerity to park in one of his spaces,not 'Hello my name is whatever' and just introduce himself!! No no no he insisted on telling me the TWO spaces belonged to him and that they were registered on the 'Land registery'

Unfortunately for him the conversation at this point went very quickly westwards and resulted in me telling him to go away in rapid jerky movements.

He shuffled off mumbling about the land registery knowing it was his land!!

The upshot of all this is that he only has ONE car and now parks across the white line to take up both of his spaces.

Its so much fun parking in one of his spaces on the rare occasions he goes out in his car.

Tom :tiphat:

cainaries
01-07-2012, 20:27
Some friends of ours here pulled off the road on to the verge but slightly across the driveway to a house in order to sit in their car and eat a quick sandwich (they were house-hunting). Suddenly there is a huge banging on the window and an incensed expat (most expats here are German ....) ranting and raving about them parking on his land. They jumped out of the car and apologised and explained they were just eating a quick sandwich between appointments viewing properties whereupon he asked them in to look at his house because he wanted to sell it! So from a very nasty guy to a very nice guy in the twinkle of an eye. And, no, they didn't buy it. Like quite a few houses here, couples who want to split up can't so they separate the house into two living quarters. Very odd but we've seen a few of them now.

caroll72
01-07-2012, 20:50
We met plenty of 'anal ex-pats' when we were caretakers of a certain complex in san eugenio.
Full of themselves & sod everyone else!
One thing i DON'T miss about the island. rolleyes2:

warbey
01-07-2012, 20:52
Some Years ago I used to go t Catalonia.

I was delighted to see poorly parked Cars towed away.

It should happen Universally.....

DeedeeTipperary
01-07-2012, 23:23
We met plenty of 'anal ex-pats' when we were caretakers of a certain complex in san eugenio.
Full of themselves & sod everyone else!
One thing i DON'T miss about the island. rolleyes2:

I know this is off topic , but at the private let we stayed at in San Eugenio last summer , at the pool we had the use of an ex-pat patrolled the area every day . On our first day at the pool she told us the sunbeds were belonged to the apartments not the house we were renting . So my husband and I carried up the four sunbeds from our house a small distance away and up the 20 steps to the pool area every time we wanted to use the pool . The Lady watched us like hawks every time we were there telling my two dont jump or dive in the pool , dont be loud ( genuinely my two are not loud they were only laughing and having fun ) . When my son was swimming lengths of the pool she told him he was splashing too much , she really made it very uncomfortable for us . We noticed with other visitors renting the apartments she couldnt be nicer to them , giving them spare sunbeds that were lined up against the wall and never gave out to other children diving in or messing .
In the end we felt she either didnt like us because we were Irish ( we were the only Irish there ) or because she didnt like the person whose house we rented . So we gave up going up to the pool and hit the beach every day where we met lovely people who gave no-one any grief :) Sorry for hi-jacking your thread rant over :)

carpdaught1
02-07-2012, 00:54
I know this is off topic , but at the private let we stayed at in San Eugenio last summer , at the pool we had the use of an ex-pat patrolled the area every day . On our first day at the pool she told us the sunbeds were belonged to the apartments not the house we were renting . So my husband and I carried up the four sunbeds from our house a small distance away and up the 20 steps to the pool area every time we wanted to use the pool . The Lady watched us like hawks every time we were there telling my two dont jump or dive in the pool , dont be loud ( genuinely my two are not loud they were only laughing and having fun ) . When my son was swimming lengths of the pool she told him he was splashing too much , she really made it very uncomfortable for us . We noticed with other visitors renting the apartments she couldnt be nicer to them , giving them spare sunbeds that were lined up against the wall and never gave out to other children diving in or messing .
In the end we felt she either didnt like us because we were Irish ( we were the only Irish there ) or because she didnt like the person whose house we rented . So we gave up going up to the pool and hit the beach every day where we met lovely people who gave no-one any grief :) Sorry for hi-jacking your thread rant over :)
we had same treatment when we lived in torviscas on a complex had it for 3yrs in the end moved to a village in the mountains couldnt wish for better neighbours

Andy0210
02-07-2012, 01:07
Myself and my wife were visiting someone for the first time yesterday let me describe where it was.
Just in case the people I'm talking about are in any doubt it's them.

It was in a small neighboring village near San Miguel. The house was off the main road and then onto an even quieter lane so not exactly prime Fanabe real estate.

I parked at the end of the lane on a piece of wasteland, next to the house that we were visiting. After two hours we returned to our car to see someone had parked across it blocking us in despite there being loads of other space to park in. I sounded the horn and I expected someone to come out apologising saying they just left their car there to quickly get something from the house or something similar to this.

Eventually a couple in their senior years came out of their house and towards the car that was blocking us in.

I asked if it was their car and they replied "yes!"
They came right up to me and said "you know you can't park there don't you?"
"No" I said
"That's our parking space and if we had friends come over they wouldn't be able to park there"
"Well" I said "if you had a sign up telling me not to park there I wouldn't have parked there"
"that's not the point, we shouldn't have to, we blocked you in to teach you a lesson"
My response was "Well I'm very sorry about that but seeing as my wife is 81/2 months pregnant it's a good job we didn't need to leave in a rush then it wouldn't be so funny would it?"

Soooo Anal, get a life.

Are you sure it wasn´t a complex somewhere and he was the President ???

Whats all that about, move abroad, get in there early, been bullied at school so get yourself made president and you can make everyone live and abide to your rules ???

seanocelt
02-07-2012, 02:01

Two things. YES, great thread title, expats CAN BE anal........................and Deedee, YES rascism is very much alive and well here, could give you LOADS of examples. But dont let it put you off, please.

Apollo
02-07-2012, 09:26

Marita17
04-07-2012, 11:48
What stupid people - but hardly fair to say 'expats can be so anal' - the fact that they were expats is surely irrelevant - they would be anal anywhere lol

carpenter
04-07-2012, 12:33
What stupid people - but hardly fair to say 'expats can be so anal' - the fact that they were expats is surely irrelevant - they would be anal anywhere lol

To be fair most of the anally retentive people I've met on this island have indeed been Expats so not irrelevant at all in my book :D

A friend of mine who works on Bournemouth beach posted a photo on his Facebook site a couple of days ago of the beach promonade and surrounding area.
The first thing you notice are signs, signs and more blooming signs. Don't cycle, don't skate, no ball games, no dogs, BBQ's, drinking, smoking. Fine for this fine for that. That was in one very small photo.

This has turned the once stiff-upper-lip Brit into a complaining old git. "You can't do that sonny, look there's a sign"

I realise that sometimes signs are necessary but only to give polite information to people that would otherwise not know.
Here in Tenerife it is a much more liberal place and this anal attitude has to be left behind in the UK or wherever these prats come from.
If the locals want to be anal then let them, it's unlikely that these people have ever left their own village before let alone the island so they're laughable really.

marbro8
04-07-2012, 19:34
you get it in small communities, it's like oap designated bungalows they have nothing to do all day and their lives are so devoid of anything worth mentioning so they have to get involved with what other people are doing, my mom and dad moved onto a small residential park home site a few years ago and loved it for about 2 months, it was in the middle of the countryside loads of pubs near by, but you could not go for a pee without someone knew about it, in the end they sold it at a loss just to get off there:(

warbey
04-07-2012, 19:55
Just My sense of Humour really but;

It's possible the aggrieved Ex Pat may be moaning of YOU.

Bloody Holidaymakers parking in My spot.. and I tried to get away from them all.etc..etc..etc...

carpenter
04-07-2012, 20:50
Just My sense of Humour really but;

It's possible the aggrieved Ex Pat may be moaning of YOU.

Bloody Holidaymakers parking in My spot.. and I tried to get away from them all.etc..etc..etc...

Definitely moaning at me without question. As I drove off they probably hid there car out of site and waited for the next poor sod to park there.
Also couldn't mistake me for a holiday maker. Nice place to live but I'd never holiday here :wink2:

RETEPYELKNIRB
27-10-2012, 19:26
Nil liligitmi carborundam[would you like the translation?]

cheery
27-10-2012, 19:45
Nil liligitmi carborundam[would you like the translation?]

Don't let the ba$tards get you down!

ramm_43
02-11-2012, 21:24
they would be anal anywhere lol

YOUNG GOLFER
03-11-2012, 00:06
Definitely moaning at me without question. As I drove off they probably hid there car out of site and waited for the next poor sod to park there.
Also couldn't mistake me for a holiday maker. Nice place to live but I'd never holiday here :wink2:

Well I am just glad others do want to holiday here.............or we will all be out of business carpenter.

carpenter
03-11-2012, 00:36
Well I am just glad others do want to holiday here.............or we will all be out of business carpenter.

With the illegal letting clampdown I pretty much am YG :( that was my bread and butter

davship
12-11-2012, 16:20
there are some sad people around who have got nothing better to do!