PDA

View Full Version : Can I book Monarch flights in sterling on their website?

Leam_Lin
02-07-2012, 11:17
I am in England but trying to book a flight with Monarch from Tenerife to Birmingham.

The price shown is in euros, is there any way I can pay in sterling. Thanks.

Suej
02-07-2012, 12:17
I am in England but trying to book a flight with Monarch from Tenerife to Birmingham.

The price shown is in euros, is there any way I can pay in sterling. Thanks.

Are you looking on the Monarch website LL?

Leam_Lin
02-07-2012, 12:19
Are you looking on the Monarch website LL?

Yes Sue......

Suej
02-07-2012, 12:31
Yes Sue......

I just had a look and it doesn't seem to give you an option to pay in sterling! if you pay by card surely it would be converted into sterling from your account? Give them a call if no one has an answer LL!

ribuck
02-07-2012, 13:41
I usually fly with Monarch, and book from the UK. If I book a single or return journey starting in the UK, I get charged in pounds. if I book a single or return journey starting in Tenerife, I get charged in Euros. I don't know of any way to change this, but it isn't really a problem when paying by card.

obs
02-07-2012, 13:56
I booked with Monarch a couple of weeks ago, to fly from Tenerife to UK, and at the final stage of the payment process, it told me their exchange rate of euro to sterling, and an option of which currency I wanted to be charged in.
I chose sterling, and it went through with no problem. :) Hope this helps.

ribuck
02-07-2012, 16:11
Obs: if I understand you correctly, this final stage is asking whether Monarch should bill your credit card in Euros (in which case your credit card company will convert the charge into pounds), or whether Monarch should do its own conversion at its own rate and bill your card in pounds.

It's generally the case that one's own credit card company will give a better rate than the merchant, who is seeking additional profit at that stage. So if the prices are advertised in Euros, I always choose to pay in Euros.

barbaraB
02-07-2012, 19:40
hi I fly with Monarch often and pay with my English Debit Card so I am sure there is not a problem.

penelope pitstop
02-07-2012, 20:53
Obs: if I understand you correctly, this final stage is asking whether Monarch should bill your credit card in Euros (in which case your credit card company will convert the charge into pounds), or whether Monarch should do its own conversion at its own rate and bill your card in pounds.

It's generally the case that one's own credit card company will give a better rate than the merchant, who is seeking additional profit at that stage. So if the prices are advertised in Euros, I always choose to pay in Euros.

I agree with this. I receive e mails every week from Martin Lewis the financial wizz kid. He also advises to let your credit card company do the transfer from euros to £'s, so pay in euros. I did this in May when on holiday in Tenerife & the exchange rate from my UK credit card company (that makes no charges when used abroad)was better than the cash exchange rate we were getting for the £'s we changed.
It usually works this way when abroad, always opt to pay in euros when using a credit as you get a better deal.

obs
03-07-2012, 15:44

Correct ribuck. I agree, my bank offers a much better exchange rate than Monarch. :)

Leam_Lin
03-07-2012, 15:47

penelope pitstop
10-07-2012, 12:13
I usually fly with Monarch,and publication from the UK.If a publication just one or come back trip beginning in the UK, I get billed in the weight.

Sorry, but what does it mean you pay by weight?

ribuck
10-07-2012, 21:33
Sorry, but what does it mean you pay by weight?

Lol, I think jamesfly may have used Google Translate, and "pounds" got translated as weight instead of money :)