PDA

View Full Version : Tablet Memory Usage

timmylish
04-07-2012, 02:21
In my never ending desire to pick the correct (for me) tablet I am seeking the assistance of members here and several other Forums I contribute to so if Tablet users on here can help me I,d be grateful.
As the title suggest its more of a referendum to give me factual information. I want to find out the amount of memory you use from the allocated gbs you purchased. ie. If you own the Xoom 32 gb and the maximum amount of space you have ever used is 22 gb I will use that amount as a rule of thumb and by getting say 40 responses I will have a very good idea of the amount of space I ideally would ever want or need when looking at which machine and size I should actually look more closely at. Might sound daft but when you consider that all the drooling in the press about Google,s first entry into Tablets is very positive but the maximum space available (maximum 'cause there is no expansion) is 16 gbs and my survey showed, on its basis, I would need nearer 20 gb then it would be a waste of hard got by money to buy the lovely all bells and whistles machine which had too little memory.
For those, if any, who respond I am extremely grateful.
ps. This information being asked for on here may be of help to others.

karinagal
04-07-2012, 11:20
Funny you should ask - my iPad has 64g memory and when I checked a few minutes ago I only had 1.7g free!! I've done some judicious pruning and I now have 10g available. HD movies and tv programmes downloaded from iTunes were/are the biggest culprits..

Before I went down the iPad route, expandable memory was going to be a big factor in choosing a tablet. However, there are many external drives that can hold superfluous material in back up, ready to be added again when the need arises. The Galaxy tab that I previously bought for hubby, had expandable memory which we thought was a must have. However, carrying micro sd cards with a view to swapping between them carries it's own risk - I seemed to manage to lose one every few weeks.. Ironic that now we all have iPads and the galaxy tab has been passed on, these missing sd cards keep turning up!!

:D :p :D

The undisputed queen of de-nial

chifleta
05-07-2012, 00:11
ignore me, i'm in "twitchy curtain" mode, as the thread subject interests me (thanks timmylishious) as i'm also playing the waiting game for when I can eventually treat myself to one of these lickle gadgets that i'm itching to have hopefully for under 150€ LOL

timmylish
05-07-2012, 01:26
K. As ever, many thanks for your comments and its really surprising to me that you have used so much space on your iPad!
C. As I had said I thought this info would have been of more interest to members on here. I,m really, really disappointed with the lack of responses on here. My other Forums, who members would have to be said of a general lower IQ than on here, have delighted me with their responses. When I,m finished I,ll contact you chifleta to advise on my findings. As to your desire to buy one at less than 150euros well you can get them but frankly if you are likely to use them say daily then don,t bother. A waste of time and money. Clearly the Google offering is in your bracket but leaves you short on memory unless of course you store next to nothing on this gadget and keep your movies and photos on your principal computer.
If members on here can see their way to involve yourselves then thank you very much.

TOTO 99
05-07-2012, 05:14
I'm considering getting a tablet at the minute and yes, it is a minefield. I have decided to go for android mainly because I don't have any other Apple products so no point in being tied to Apple.

I don't really download a lot of stuff so it would be more for work and browsing.
I've just checked and my main pc which gets the heaviest use carries all my business stuff and music, films etc. is only at 53gb used space.

Whilst I don't think I'd need the 64gb version I have friends who say once you get a tablet/ipad you'll never touch your old pc.
My new phone is due today which has 32gb so in reality, anything I want to store could sit on there with room to spare. My phone never leaves my side so it's not like I'd be making a special effort to drag it along with the tablet.
I shall let you know when I take the plunge.

Skeggy
05-07-2012, 07:20
I have recently bought two Galaxy Tablets and can not contribute to the discussion on how much gb i will use, the purchase of tablets is indeed a minefield with models becoming outdated every week and new technology introduced. The first one I bought was a 7" and although it is fine and does everything that I want it too the screen seemed just a bit small for films so my wife now has that and I have an 8.9" model with a bigger Honey comb 3.2 system which appears faster. Both are wfi only and that doesnt appear to be a problem but I use TalkTalk webmail and I can recieve emails but can not send them and have to use gmail and this Google promoted Android may be a downer for me and my well established email address. From this post you will realise that I don't have a clue and if anyone has any ideas on my email woes I would be very grateful as no other member of Tablet based forums has given me an answer.

karinagal
05-07-2012, 09:15
Like I said, the big drain on my memory usage is definitely videos - over 25g at the moment. The biggest single film is Avatar at 5g - the 'new' iPad is hd quality and hd films use up a lot of memory.. I also downloaded from iTunes, the first series of Merlin.....

When I was copying DVD's for use on the iPhone, iTouch or galaxy, then it was the norm to compress these into smaller file sizes which looked just as good but used a fraction of the space. These films do not look good on the new iPad.... :(

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Vortex Wake
05-07-2012, 09:20
I have recently bought two Galaxy Tablets and can not contribute to the discussion on how much gb i will use, the purchase of tablets is indeed a minefield with models becoming outdated every week and new technology introduced. The first one I bought was a 7" and although it is fine and does everything that I want it too the screen seemed just a bit small for films so my wife now has that and I have an 8.9" model with a bigger Honey comb 3.2 system which appears faster. Both are wfi only and that doesnt appear to be a problem but I use TalkTalk webmail and I can recieve emails but can not send them and have to use gmail and this Google promoted Android may be a downer for me and my well established email address. From this post you will realise that I don't have a clue and if anyone has any ideas on my email woes I would be very grateful as no other member of Tablet based forums has given me an answer.

Setting up email from another account i.e. Talktalk.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/video/33948/technology/Set-up-email-on-an-Android-phone/#33948

btw, if you own a domain name e.g. vortexwake.com , with an email i.e. weirdo@@vortexwake.com (or whatever), you can setup Gmail to act as email provider BUT retain BOTH weirdo@@vortexwake.com for receive and sending - your customer or whoever, will not see the Gmail email address, just you own domain address .

Skeggy
05-07-2012, 12:53
Thank you very much Vortex, I am pleased to report Success. I think that where I was going wrong was that the tablet prempted the POP3 and SMTP settings including several words not required, by using TalkTalks additional settings included in their help section I have set up the talktalk email. I am sorry for going off topic. But did appreciate Vortex's help

chifleta
05-07-2012, 16:27
K. As ever, many thanks for your comments and its really surprising to me that you have used so much space on your iPad!
C. As I had said I thought this info would have been of more interest to members on here. I,m really, really disappointed with the lack of responses on here. My other Forums, who members would have to be said of a general lower IQ than on here, have delighted me with their responses. When I,m finished I,ll contact you chifleta to advise on my findings. As to your desire to buy one at less than 150euros well you can get them but frankly if you are likely to use them say daily then don,t bother. A waste of time and money. Clearly the Google offering is in your bracket but leaves you short on memory unless of course you store next to nothing on this gadget and keep your movies and photos on your principal computer.
If members on here can see their way to involve yourselves then thank you very much.

I just basically want one as a toy with wi-fi (and with a larger screen than a snazzy modern mobile phone as the old eyes are getting worse) so that I don't have to turn on main PC if I just want to search something, check emails, FB, Forum... and also for when i'm in UK and want to watch anything online (youtube, dailymotion, putlocker etc) so it'll need flash.... so not too worried about memory capacity, unless I need it to watch said programmes online! i'm easy to please... i've got a terrabyte? external hardrive for my photies etc.

ps just so you know how dense I am on this subject... question: I take it you can actually reply to emails on these things? right?

Skeggy
05-07-2012, 18:12
From one to another you can reply to emails...............good luck!!!

chifleta
05-07-2012, 18:46
From one to another you can reply to emails...............good luck!!!

thankyouverymuchly :) LOL

bonitatime
10-07-2012, 09:04
Chifleta have you looked at the Galaxy note
I have this instead of a tablet

chifleta
10-07-2012, 11:40
Chifleta have you looked at the Galaxy note
I have this instead of a tablet

:scared: just looked at the prices eeeeeeeeeek, i can't afford the cheap tablets at the moment, let alone a Galaxy hahaha... but thanks for the suggestion... I prefer a bigger screen :)

bonitatime
12-07-2012, 16:11
I got mine from Movistar I paid 200€ and have a second chip for 3€ extra a month so run it as a tablet

timmylish
13-07-2012, 01:25
I got mine from Movistar I paid 200€ and have a second chip for 3€ extra a month so run it as a tablet

Cannot find your reference to Movistar?

karinagal
13-07-2012, 07:13
Cannot find your reference to Movistar?

I think that's a reference to the Galaxy Note.. A phone that also doubles as a compact tablet?

Rickiebear
13-07-2012, 07:18
Hi, I originally bought a iPod, to hold music, and to watch films whilst I was traveling on low cost airlines to and from the UK. My first music player. On my first flight after buying it I sat next to a lady with an iPod, she watched her film on a bigger screen, and then sat and read a book. I want one of those I said to myself.
So I did, I bought a top of the range 64gb. I later replaced this with the new iPad3, due to a fault on my original iPad. Like others I have soon used more than half my memory. I hold photographs, films, and work documents. I am very happy with it, and would not be without it.