PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone do any research before they hit Tenerife?

Balcony
04-07-2012, 12:10
I was re-reading a thread about competent/incompetent estate agents, to which I subscribed a long time ago, which is now closed, but one reader made a comment "..... many potential buyers with no experience in the Canary property market simply do not understand the implications of the difference between a "residential" and a "touristic" property, even if these words are mentioned in the ads." To me, the broad difference between a residential and tourist site is quite an easy concept to understand. The actual workings sometimes leave something to be desired! Whether a residential, or tourist site each type has it's own advantages (and downsides).

I can't say just how widespread this phenonema is within the British community, but it never ceases to amaze me how little research, it would seem, some people do before they decide to buy a property (or business), whether as a resident, or non-resident. This must be the true 'sangria' effect!

I did laugh when talking with someone who said that their site was 'sort of in-between' (residential and tourist), which I can't say I've heard of....but who knows?!

Before they come to Tenerife, I would have thought, most people would (or should!) do some research on-line (dare I say on a forum?), or through some excellent books on the subject? You don't have to be so detailed as to arrive qualified to be a lawyer (though it helps and pays well), but once here there are people to ask - there are people on the sites you're looking at, maybe a pool bar. There may be a Reception area: great place to ask and a little clue that the site may well be 'touristic'.

If you're being shown around by an estate agent don't always move around at his speed, or agenda - break off and go speak to people. Or go back to the site later.

If you use an estate agent, then ask them. They should know and be able to explain the difference very easily. If they are vague, or diversionary then forget the agent! You use a lawyer when you buy...yes? Ask the lawyer and get him to check it out if he has no details of the status of a site.

The original post I quote omits that famous phrase "buyer beware". It beggars belive that people would spend weeks looking around for the best available satnav, or TV yet make a major purchase in (knowingly exaggerated!!) minutes! It's research, research, research.

warbey
04-07-2012, 21:02
Maybe not the answer You want, but answering the Question, I too wonder.

Many times I have read how do You etc etc, We arrive in three Weeks, TO LIVE.

No Accommodation and believing They can find work when others cant. Often with a Family to support.
You will have seen it too.

All I can say of them All is, God help them.

slodgedad
04-07-2012, 21:25
I agree with the thrust of the thread.

I'm often gobsmacked at the amount of people that just arrive, having burnt their bridges, with not a clue where they are going to work or live...

10 years ago it was possible, but not now...

christa
04-07-2012, 21:57
I agree with all of the above comments......... it's a beautiful island, it's an emotional sale for hopes and dream seekers. Like everything in life, some will succeed, sadly others not.

However, do we really know anythng about the people, or their lifestyle they are leaving behind/ running from, even???

Sounds harsh I know, but if you really have nothing to lose, who can blame them?

Its when kids feature into the equation, that to me has to be really well thought out.

No malice intended against anyone, just an observation!

Rickiebear
05-07-2012, 07:26
Hi, we spent 2 years researching a purchase, and had visited Puerto many times, and at different times of the year. By the time we arrived with a view to buy, we had all the paperwork in place.

polia
05-07-2012, 07:53
You can't blame people for bein emotional and following their dream of a better life, right? Don't forget you have started your life in Tenerife the same way. Times are harder now, but that is almost everywhere. Not just on the islands. So think about it differently - being jobless in Tenerife is better than being jobless in the UK for example. At least you enjoy the weather :-)))
Research? Yes, that is very important, but it cannot be done 100% over the net. You MUST get to Tenerife and stay for a while to get the right answers. So don't be so hard to newbies /like me/:-))) This is just the natural cycle of life.

candy2411
05-07-2012, 10:20
Everyone's personal circumstances are unique to themselves.

If there are no children or pets involved, I wouldn't blame anyone for trying for a better life if they're not happy with the one they've got, what's to lose?

You only get one life , its not a rehearsal, better to live it the way you want and not be miserable and full of regret later in life.

If it does go wrong though, just be big enough and brave enough to admit it and change direction.

polia
05-07-2012, 15:44
You say if children are NOT involved. I say especially if children ARE involved. Because we can make sertain compromises with our own lives, but we always want the best for our kids. Our children are the main reason we are moving. You are right that with children it is mich more complicated, but on the other hand the resposibility itself makes you stronger, more organised, more careful and more willing to withstand all difficulties.

mike in chayofa
05-07-2012, 19:21
....... Our children are the main reason we are moving.

I am not contradicting you, but I find this an amazing statement to make.

Could you list these reasons for us please?

polia
05-07-2012, 19:42
However, do we really know anythng about the people, or their lifestyle they are leaving behind/ running from, even???

I will allow myself to answer you with a part of christa's post. The reasons for us are many and I don't think this is the best way and place to share them. It may seem strange to you or someone else because everyone has a different life, different background, different origin.

warbey
05-07-2012, 21:11
The point being made is that People go to Tenerife with very little knowledge or information

of conditions or way of life.

I cannot agree being out of work in the U.K. ON BENEFITS is worse

than unemployed in Tenerife with no or little help is better. Sunshine or not.

Anyone who survives and flourishes, I salute, there wont be many.

mike in chayofa
05-07-2012, 21:29
I will allow myself to answer you with a part of christa's post. The reasons for us are many and I don't think this is the best way and place to share them. It may seem strange to you or someone else because everyone has a different life, different background, different origin.

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

I had assumed that you were moving from the UK to Tenerife - in which case there would be plenty of good reasons not to uproot children and bring them here.

On a worlwide basis, the Spanish education system can be slightly limiting. However, it is far stronger than the education system elsewhere in the world

polia
05-07-2012, 21:36
Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

I had assumed that you were moving from the UK to Tenerife - in which case there would be plenty of good reasons not to uproot children and bring them here.

On a worlwide basis, the Spanish education system can be slightly limiting. However, it is far stronger than the education system elsewhere in the world

No hard feelings. I understand that different people have different point of view. Cheers!

P.S. By the way thank you all for the useful information you all share here in this forum. It is priceless for gringos like us.

TF1
07-07-2012, 18:12
Research is essential before relocating anywhere in the World, I´m amazed by the number of Brits who move abroad with no knowledge or language skills, and then blame that country´s faults when they return to the UK with no money and battered egos. Moving abroad requires research, financial stability and patience; without them there is little hope of success.