PDA

View Full Version : Other Flies everywhere. How can I get rid of them?

FKB
04-07-2012, 17:34
Hi

Currently inundated with flies in the apartment.
Whats your best way of getting rid of them

warbey
04-07-2012, 20:07
Firstly I would want to discover the source of the Flies.

Drains, Cess Pit, Something Dead,
etc etc

Then, close all windows Doors as airtight as Possible and spray a good lot of Fly Killer in, leaving for at least Half an Hour.

Then Vacuum or Brush them up. But only after treating the Source..

Best of Luck.

timmylish
05-07-2012, 01:51
And then put up the very cheap ant-Mossie netting from Lidl. Its very cheap and works.

tfs1
17-11-2012, 19:53
we seem to be affected by flies everywhere we go in and around Los Cristianos for the past few days - anyone else noticed an unusual increase in them and the reason why.

karinagal
17-11-2012, 20:04
We were plagued with them this last week... I thought it was just our area, being next to the golf courses so I'm rather relieved that it wasn't just us!

honda
17-11-2012, 20:30
We have emptied the apartment trying to find a reason for these damn flies. Glad it's not just us. Driving me mad :spin:

TOTO 99
17-11-2012, 20:35
Just got back from Los Cris last night.

The flies were everywhere for the last few days. Eating outside was a waste of time. No idea what's brought it on but it's a real nuisance. Hope it clears soon for everyone.

No such problems for me now though...brrr

primrose
17-11-2012, 20:52
Just got back from Los Cris last night.

The flies were everywhere for the last few days. Eating outside was a waste of time. No idea what's brought it on but it's a real nuisance. Hope it clears soon for everyone.

No such problems for me now though...brrr

I am definitely not eating out again while these flies are about, had dinner out today and it was impossible to eat it the flies everywhere.

macdonald5
17-11-2012, 20:57
Hi

Must be the season not just in Tenerife, a young friend went to Cape Verde on honeymoon last week and was horrified and hardly ate as the 5 star hotel was inundated by flies in dining rooms,bedrooms etc.
Being new Cape Verde did not seem to know what to to with problem

penelope pitstop
17-11-2012, 21:06
Sounds awful. I hope it's not like it in Las Am next week when we will be over.

KirstyJay
17-11-2012, 21:20
Yep... loads here too! We thought something might have gone off, but they're everywhere. It must be the recent rains... Get yourself a can of Oro Verde spray. :)

junglejim
17-11-2012, 21:35
Puerto Colon, San Eugenio been inundated last couple of weeks - record sales of swatters at pool side - good market for the Chinese !

tfs1
17-11-2012, 21:48
......... not being an expert but i wondered if it was related to the heavy rains we had a couple of weeks ago.

We get them really badly in Spain when the farmer sprays the orange groves - unlikely to be that reason here !

TFS1

cainaries
17-11-2012, 22:19
This thread has really cheered me up ... in a back-to-front sort of way. We thought it was just us and have been spraying everywhere and this evening when I went into the kitchen to cook I backed out again. Just terrible. I can reassure OH now that it isn't 'just us'. Thanks.

imablue
17-11-2012, 22:44
It has been horrendous for everybody it seems .. being at home or anywhere we have noticed a massive increase in flies... i have personally this last week been in places such as Los Gigantes to the west and to Golf Del Sur on the coast to the South East.. the last 6-7 days and the feeling is what a glut of flies there has been.. maybe the wet weather recently has given the larvae of the flies to hatch out at a time when we would expect them to dissapate .. buy a fly swatter and carry that with you seems to be the answer in the short term.. apart from that the little creatures only last about 14-17 days ... before the next lot come along ..

KirstyJay
17-11-2012, 22:49
TheBloke says it's to do with the rains, then the banana harvest, so the flies have nowhere to go.

cainaries
17-11-2012, 22:59
TheBloke says it's to do with the rains, then the banana harvest, so the flies have nowhere to go.

Seems as though they have everywhere to go, KJ, every Forum member's home and where they go out to eat! Good business for the fly spray manufacturers, though. Silver linings, etc. etc.

christa
17-11-2012, 23:10
Been having a major fly swatting session in Gran Canaria too! Bit short on bananas here so must be to do with the rains.

blueeyes
17-11-2012, 23:11
hello! we are the same, we live in san isdro and i killed about 7 flies in succession by swatting them with a rolled up newspaper. i am thinking of getting a fly zapper to electrocute the little blighters... in el medano we went to the english pub there on the seafront and the amount of flies was unbelievable so much so we had to move our table and chairs. i felt sorry for the people who had something to eat.. even as i type this i have a pesky fly dive bombing me at the computer but that wont be for long.... :angry:

sunspot
17-11-2012, 23:42
These pesky flies are driving me mad,i thought they were after my chocolate but there after my pizza and every flipping thing i have on my plate,im spraying tonight because theres no way im shareing my bacon sandwich with the little cretters at breakfast

timmylish
18-11-2012, 01:56
Well we stay in San Isidro and a lot of people having been complaining but as I said earlier in this thread you need to put up mosquito neeting on all of your windows. Its so very cheap and works, works works. I have had one fly , yesterday. Came in thru' our front door and I missed it! Honestly, for the money involved its really well worth while.

LUCKY
18-11-2012, 08:52
:feret:Why not try what i did when we were out in Kenya, A 1.5 ltr plactic bottle cut a third of the way down all around the bottle, put some stinky rotting meat in the bottom, invert the top bit in after taking the cap off tape round the bottle and watch the flies enter, and not return back out.:flatcap::feret::feret:

junglejim
18-11-2012, 12:54
Or just tie the wife up, smother her in honey and lie her on the terrace? - works for me !
( only kidding ;-) )

carolethatch
19-11-2012, 20:34
......... not being an expert but i wondered if it was related to the heavy rains we had a couple of weeks ago.

We get them really badly in Spain when the farmer sprays the orange groves - unlikely to be that reason here !

TFS1
Heard today, the banana plantations have been sprayed, so like the orange groves, they move on.

cainaries
19-11-2012, 20:38
Heard today, the banana plantations have been sprayed, so like the orange groves, they move on.

But surely they spray every year whereas the flies of 2012 are another matter altogether!

seanocelt
20-11-2012, 02:56
Thought it would get better by now, but seems to be worse.

junglejim
20-11-2012, 12:36
They must have migrated to your end Sean - there seemed to be less yesterday in our part of San Eugenio , Puerto Colon - Christine cooked her Square Sausage today and only one fly appeared!
(I wouldn´t risk it either to be honest ! )

seanocelt
20-11-2012, 13:08
I will be sending them back if i can. We are the elite through here, we do not want your San Eugenio flies. Keep them out of Los Cristianos please. They are here illegally!

junglejim
20-11-2012, 14:24
I will be sending them back if i can. We are the elite through here, we do not want your San Eugenio flies. Keep them out of Los Cristianos please. They are here illegally!
Spoke too soon ,cooked some mussels at lunchtime and within a minute had a swarm getting in-unbelievable , the 2 for €1.75 Chinese flyswatters were working overtime ! All dead and gone now !

chifleta
20-11-2012, 15:43
I just have one thing to say, thank GAWD for the fly curtain I bought from LIDL a couple or three months ago... although we have to put new double sided sticky tape on every few weeks (we stuck it outside, too ugly to stick inside LOL so the sun melts it off) it's been fanbl**dytastic purchase... we actually bought 3, so we have spares stored away for a rain.. ummm fly-y day :D

canarybird
20-11-2012, 15:52
Guess we're lucky up here in the north .... :rolleyes: as I haven't seen any flies around at all, except for the miniature fruit flies that go to my kitchen compost bowl when I toss in some overripe fruit or peelings, then they swarm until I take it out and dump it in the compost bin in the garden. Today I sat out on my patio and had some BBQ chicken and nary an intruder other than the cat under the table begging for a piece. :D

chifleta
20-11-2012, 15:57
Guess we're lucky up here in the north .... :rolleyes: as I haven't seen any flies around at all, except for the miniature fruit flies that go to my kitchen compost bowl when I toss in some overripe fruit or peelings, then they swarm until I take it out and dump it in the compost bin in the garden. Today I sat out on my patio and had some BBQ chicken and nary an intruder other than the cat under the table begging for a piece. :D

I reckon it's because you get a more regular rainfall... I still think there are SOOOOO many flies because of the two on and off days of rain we had the other week, all the flies/maggots were like "ohhhh everything is yucky and juicy wet, let's breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed" LOL ... I don't think it has anything to do with the banana plantations, they spray them every year, various times...

LUCKY
20-11-2012, 23:09
:feret:no probs over here at callao must be the Kenyian fly trap working its magic over here, :feret::feret::feret:

timmylish
20-11-2012, 23:40
I just have one thing to say, thank GAWD for the fly curtain I bought from LIDL a couple or three months ago... although we have to put new double sided sticky tape on every few weeks (we stuck it outside, too ugly to stick inside LOL so the sun melts it off) it's been fanbl**dytastic purchase... we actually bought 3, so we have spares stored away for a rain.. ummm fly-y day :D

Exactly the measure I have repeated promoted on here for ages. Good old Lidl!

chifleta
21-11-2012, 00:12
Exactly the measure I have repeated promoted on here for ages. Good old Lidl!

only cost 7 euros each curtain, and to stop it flapping around when it's a bit windy, i just slot the first strip weighted bit in the runner of my patio door and shut the door to hold it in place........ perfectoooooo :)

jmcd
21-11-2012, 00:22
And then put up the very cheap ant-Mossie netting from Lidl. Its very cheap and works.

Do they still have the mossie netting in Lidl? If so is it in Chafiras or Adeje?

ruffus
21-11-2012, 00:27
We got ours from Chafiras, but I have not seen any in there last time I went in. We have them at the door, and there are a few flies getting through, but not many. I enjoy swatting them with the little bat from the Chinese shops !!

chifleta
21-11-2012, 00:50
Do they still have the mossie netting in Lidl? If so is it in Chafiras or Adeje?

I saw "one" lonely box of the 4 strip curtain one the other day in Chafiras LIDL... plus someone was selling one on FB Tenerife flogg it the other day too...

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We got ours from Chafiras, but I have not seen any in there last time I went in. We have them at the door, and there are a few flies getting through, but not many. I enjoy swatting them with the little bat from the Chinese shops !!

Yes, you definately have to position the curtain right, i've got two of the strips clipped together.... but it works :D

Margaretta
21-11-2012, 18:00
We were told that due to the many calimas in the Summer it was too hot for the flies to breed!?? Then when the really heavy rains came they......increased their number passionately! Only once in that last month have we eaten on the balcony and whenever we ate out it was a case of stamping and waving madly...so irritating.
Fly/mosquito screens seemed a big expense at the time but we've had them installed for about four years now and the difference is fantastic. We think they were well worth the investment and we have no trouble at all indoors.

Madre
21-11-2012, 21:58
We have mosquito screens on all our windows but the cat has scratched most of them and made holes so the little gits are still getting in lol

Graceylacey
22-11-2012, 13:35
I bought Kollant Killer Liquid from the feretteria and its worked a miracle. NO FLIES! You mix it with water and spray it on your terrace and walls outside. It was safe with the animals but I did it in the evening and kept them in as it stank like paint stripper!!! Been able to sit outside again and no flies in the house

mj030106
22-11-2012, 13:38
Its everywhere im afraid, they have sprayed plantations up north causing them to move. Nothing helps invest in a fly swat and take it everywhere with you.

Suej
22-11-2012, 14:55
I bought Kollant Killer Liquid from the feretteria and its worked a miracle. NO FLIES! You mix it with water and spray it on your terrace and walls outside. It was safe with the animals but I did it in the evening and kept them in as it stank like paint stripper!!! Been able to sit outside again and no flies in the house

Hi Graceylacey!

I am sure you wouldn't use anything that was Toxic to pets but I am so afraid to use anything like this especially when if it smells so strong. Does it actually say on the packaging that it is not harmful to pets? We are totally pee'd off with the flies! all different sizes can't believe there are so many species of the buggers! Luckily we are not getting them in the house!eek2:

blondie
22-11-2012, 15:34
Just got back yesterday and could not believe the amount of flies everywhere, its so unusual to see that. Eating outside was a nightmare and had to give up and eat indoors which we hate as we dont get the chance to eat outdoors at home in bonnie Scotland. We ventured to San Isidro and El Medano and it was actually worse there.Spoketo one of our fishermen friends in Los Crist. who reckoned it was duetothe amount of rotting, discarded tomatoes which had been dumped due to the bad weather previously, who knows? Having said this I would love to back to the warmth, blue skies and the flies as at this moment it is pouring with rain and nearly dark, as they say in Scotland, dreich!!

Graceylacey
22-11-2012, 16:20
Hi Graceylacey!

I am sure you wouldn't use anything that was Toxic to pets but I am so afraid to use anything like this especially when if it smells so strong. Does it actually say on the packaging that it is not harmful to pets? We are totally pee'd off with the flies! all different sizes can't believe there are so many species of the buggers! Luckily we are not getting them in the house!eek2:

There was a big long conversation about it on Facebook, and the Fendena that people were talking about some said it was harmful others said it wasnt, so I asked at the Fereteria for something that I could use with my animals and this is what he gave me. He said he has used it many times and he has a dog.

I used it last night just to be on the safe side and kept mine in, but was merely being over protective. I still dont have a single fly on my terrace or in the house and I live in Medano and they have been RIFE here!

timmylish
23-11-2012, 00:54
There was a big long conversation about it on Facebook, and the Fendena that people were talking about some said it was harmful others said it wasnt, so I asked at the Fereteria for something that I could use with my animals and this is what he gave me. He said he has used it many times and he has a dog.

I used it last night just to be on the safe side and kept mine in, but was merely being over protective. I still dont have a single fly on my terrace or in the house and I live in Medano and they have been RIFE here!

Please, please believe that I want to believe that you have solved your problem (we don,t have one as reported earlier!) but how do the flies know, whilst flying around, that you have a protective wall all around your terrace etc. What I,m thinking about is half way across your terrace wall, furthest away from your outside walls a few flies are buzzing around but not actually entering your "airspace"!

blueeyes
28-11-2012, 00:41
they are vile, my husband and me were lying on beach in los cris, and the whole time we were slapping each other trying to swat the flies, it must have looked as if we were trying to beat the s**t out of each other, lol:twak:

tomotpp
29-11-2012, 18:09
have all the flies flew off what was all that about.

Fivepence
29-11-2012, 18:28
have all the flies flew off what was all that about.

Unique introduction to the forum Tomo...............:welcome:

doingok
29-11-2012, 19:13
Saw them spray the bins in san isidro worked a treat

blueeyes
03-12-2012, 14:01
are you sure they sprayed the bins... i have a really close friend that said they don't do that over here??? its just the flies time to die they came in loads and they have probably died in loads........:flatcap:

9PLUS
03-12-2012, 14:42
Hi

Get yourself a bath

x

Malteser Monkey
03-12-2012, 14:51
Get yourself a bath

x

It's gonna take a while to catch 'em and drown 'em:cheeky:

cainaries
03-12-2012, 15:59
No let up here. Just endless arguments about when to spray. I would sooner have flies than choke to death and OH would sooner choke to death than have the flies. We will be out tomorrow morning so may be we can solve the problem at last.

timmylish
03-12-2012, 23:35
I would think that the very real drop intemperatures over the last few days will have killed off most or at least put them into hiding which has the same conclusion with such a short life-span.

cainaries
04-12-2012, 15:06
Our flies are cold-and-heat resistant and probably waterproof as well.

stuartbroad
22-12-2012, 11:04
As per my opinion, we seem to be affected by flies everywhere we go in and around Los Cristianos for the past few days - anyone else noticed an unusual increase in them and the reason why.

primrose
22-12-2012, 11:52
As per my opinion, we seem to be affected by flies everywhere we go in and around Los Cristianos for the past few days - anyone else noticed an unusual increase in them and the reason why.

Yep they are back as bad as ever, thought they would have been long gone by now.

Bay1987
28-12-2012, 00:46
You could use European Fly Screens 649 270964 !!!!!

edtbonep
02-01-2013, 08:39
During our stay in December I have used plastic bags filled with water.
It really helped a lot, only a few flies came in our apartment.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/8305905689_6b1e76f11b_b.jpg