PDA

View Full Version : Other Our van was broken into last night - Golf del Sur - expensive items stolen

Apollo
05-07-2012, 12:12
At some point last night our van was broken into on the Las Adelfas 2 complex of Golf del Sur. Some very expensive tools were stolen which were inside ready for a very early start this morning.
Also my grooming kit was taken which now means I have to pay a fortune replacing everything, hopefully in the next few days if I can borrow enough money!!

Among the things taken were a Bosch Blue Professional Jigsaw and a Bosch Blue Professional drill. Also numerous Bosch spare batteries. The jigsaw has P.LONG etched into it.

My Moser Max dog clippers were my most expensive item as well as every other grooming tool I have including furminator, hairdryer, various stripping combs, pink roo scissors (none of which will probably mean anything to anyone who isnt in this profession but nonetheless).
They were all in a silver metalic case minus a handle (thank you Chafiras for your crap quality wears).

The above are the most distinguished and expensive items of the stuff that was taken.

The burglers went in through the top of the rear doors on our Peugeot Partner - crow bar or something I would assume.

Seems that everyone is vulnerable.....this was just not necessary on top of the huge vet bill forked out for our dog 2 weeks ago and the baby being due in 2 weeks.

Gutted :(

Suej
05-07-2012, 12:24
At some point last night our van was broken into on the Las Adelfas 2 complex of Golf del Sur. Some very expensive tools were stolen which were inside ready for a very early start this morning.
Also my grooming kit was taken which now means I have to pay a fortune replacing everything, hopefully in the next few days if I can borrow enough money!!

Among the things taken were a Bosch Blue Professional Jigsaw and a Bosch Blue Professional drill. Also numerous Bosch spare batteries. The jigsaw has P.LONG etched into it.

My Moser Max dog clippers were my most expensive item as well as every other grooming tool I have including furminator, hairdryer, various stripping combs, pink roo scissors (none of which will probably mean anything to anyone who isnt in this profession but nonetheless).
They were all in a silver metalic case minus a handle (thank you Chafiras for your crap quality wears).

The above are the most distinguished and expensive items of the stuff that was taken.

The burglers went in through the top of the rear doors on our Peugeot Partner - crow bar or something I would assume.

Seems that everyone is vulnerable.....this was just not necessary on top of the huge vet bill forked out for our dog 2 weeks ago and the baby being due in 2 weeks.

Gutted :(

Oh No! that's really bad news Apollo! Any chance you can claim off insurance? Someone must have known what goodies were in the van and had probably been watching! I am so sorry!:(

Malteser Monkey
05-07-2012, 12:37
Oh no - hope the b's are caught and you get all your stuff back soon

candy2411
05-07-2012, 12:50
Sorry to hear that, really hope you can claim on van or house insurance .

Thankfully no-one was hurt, but I suppose the police were not very interested because of that.

Apollo
05-07-2012, 13:08
Thanks. We are going to pay a visit to guaza car boot on Sunday to see if our stuff is there on sale - if it is then they better pray to god we don't find them!. We have a police report nonetheless and will also be taking that so if we find anything we will call them immediately.
We rang 112 first thing (still dark it was!) this morning and were told to go to the Guardia in Granadilla but to be careful not to touch too much as they were going to check for prints...HA. Nope.
They did take a pretty detailed report for all the good it will do and it was only when we were half way home we decided to check out what was causing such a strong smell of diesel to be coming into the van. Turned out that they had cracked open the back doors and the exhaust was leaking back in as we were driving :(

Oh, and the best bit is the van insurance wont cover it. In sppite of the fact when it was taken out we had to say what the van was used for and what got put in it they dont want to know. Because we have not long moved in we hadnt got round to sorting out home insurance :( Well and truly stitched up!

Please please be on your guard, especially if you live in this area it would seem. There have been LOADS of break ins over recent months! We arent far from Augusta Park where the other break ins were happening which are posted up on here.

Suej
05-07-2012, 13:20
Thanks. We are going to pay a visit to guaza car boot on Sunday to see if our stuff is there on sale - if it is then they better pray to god we don't find them!. We have a police report nonetheless and will also be taking that so if we find anything we will call them immediately.
We rang 112 first thing (still dark it was!) this morning and were told to go to the Guardia in Granadilla but to be careful not to touch too much as they were going to check for prints...HA. Nope.
They did take a pretty detailed report for all the good it will do and it was only when we were half way home we decided to check out what was causing such a strong smell of diesel to be coming into the van. Turned out that they had cracked open the back doors and the exhaust was leaking back in as we were driving :(

Oh, and the best bit is the van insurance wont cover it. In sppite of the fact when it was taken out we had to say what the van was used for and what got put in it they dont want to know. Because we have not long moved in we hadnt got round to sorting out home insurance :( Well and truly stitched up!

Please please be on your guard, especially if you live in this area it would seem. There have been LOADS of break ins over recent months! We arent far from Augusta Park where the other break ins were happening which are posted up on here.

I wish you luck at the Car boot Apollo! Can do without all this eh!

curlytop
05-07-2012, 14:08
I really hope you manage to get some, if not all of your stuff back. I heard that an entire villa was cleaned out on Las Adelphas 2 over the weekend - all the furniture, tv, kettle, toaster and even mugs! There is blood everywhere from where they broke a window, along with footprints and fingerprints. The police still haven't visited to collect any evidence! I wonder if it's the same culprits. I really hope they catch these people.

Mia
05-07-2012, 14:26
Sorry to hear this. I hope you can at least get some of your stuff back.

Apollo
05-07-2012, 16:50
Could DEFINATELY do without this at the mo!

I will keep you updated as to whether we retrieve anything. Thankfully due to very kind and upset parents I have managed to re-order the majority of my own stuff with a loan so at least I will be ok in a few days but Tonys stuff is into the thousands :(

I hadnt heard about anything as serious as a villa ransacked and blood everywhere but talking with the guy who runs reception there was was one last week which had someone walk in, grab a camera and laptop and then walk out again. He was actually at the guardia civi the same time as us as he was following it up from last Saturday. Could be a case of chinese, sorry, Tenerife whispers, you know how it is, but there have definately been a fair few robberies of late and it's not good :(
Thanks a million and it sucks to have to write such a miserable post.

polia
05-07-2012, 17:17
I am very, very sorry to hear this! I had the impression that the crime rate in Tenerife is really low. Maybe you can concider a security system on your car. I think it is a must for working vans where expensive tools are kept. A good quality alarm system will cost you about 100 Euro installed in the car and can save you a lot of money and problems.

FKB
05-07-2012, 18:28
Sorry to hea
I know of a number of break ins on the Golf that have occurred during the last couple of months and being a dog walker I am always looking out for any suspicious characters roaming about.
General feedback points to young spanish or morocan males being seen as the perpetraters.
I know a woman had her handbag snatched from her last week near the supermarket opposite Green Park.

Rickiebear
05-07-2012, 18:39
Hi, like others I am very sad to read your post. I know what it is like to be a victim of a theft, (UK home). Is there CCTV close by. Some cameras can identify number plates a mile away.

polia
05-07-2012, 18:57
Hi again. I have just told your story to my husband and for the bad time of your live that it had happened and he told me to tell you that he will install a new alarm system in your car for free. So if you want this extra protection contact me by PM so I can give you a phone number for contacts. I hope this makes you feel a little better.

Rickiebear
05-07-2012, 20:42
Hi Polia's husband.

That is a really lovely thing to offer.

What can the rest of us do?

karinagal
05-07-2012, 21:06
Hi Polia's husband.

Agreed, what a lovely thing to do!

The undisputed queen of de-nial

polia
05-07-2012, 21:50
No need to thank us. Everyone needs a little hand in stormy days. This is what we can do to help. It is so nice that others are ready to help too.

Apollo
05-07-2012, 22:37
Oh my goodness Polia, what an unbelievably generous offer, thank you so so much. Will drop you a PM. :hug:

Thank you to the rest of you as well. The pain felt this morning is easing slightly. Iv jad a day of stewing and re-ordering stuff, I feel absolutely shattered. The police station seems like days ago!
Sadly no cctv cameras are about and we have spoken to several people who live on the complex (one of whom is also a builder and also had his stuff in the back of his car so he removed it all immediately. Hopefully that's one less person to suffer what we did) but no one saw anything. The only thing left to show for all of this is the damage to the van which we will need to fix.

What a wonderful bunch of people on here, your support is so appreciated by both me and Tony.

Thank you so much

curlytop
05-07-2012, 22:49
Hi Polia's husband.

:agree: there are some very genuine people here.

That's such a generous gesture.

carpenter
05-07-2012, 23:12
Thanks to everyone especially Polia that is a very kind and generous offer .
Karinagal I've just been told that you've PM'd Steph and all I can say is thank you so much.

Now this is irony, here was I giving advice to the victims of Augusta park and then we get robbed (admittedly no where near as personal as a house break in)

It never rains they say it always pours, well I just feel like a walking book of excuses at the moment.

Waiting for months to get some work and I finally get some and then all my tools get nicked. What do you do? What can you say?

My baby's ok, my wife's ok my dog survived her op so I'm happy

Most people that read my post here know I don't hold back, but on this occasion I really am speechless.
Again thanks to everyone for their kind words and offers

karinagal
06-07-2012, 00:23
No Tony, it would have been ironic if you had been doing security patrols at Augusta Park when it happened!! :D

As you say though as hard, as costly and as inconvenient as it is, you have your family safe and well..

Karina
xxxxx

The undisputed queen of de-nial

princessmonika
06-07-2012, 10:01
I am really upset they broke my door and patio window. Next door disturbed them. Yes it is getting worse. So my hart goes out to you CCTV is a good idea the cost to monitor it cost about e 40 per month. Installation I don't know

Hopefully the police find some of the stolen stuff. Bring it inside

davidj
06-07-2012, 10:44
Hi,
You say you had an attempted breakin,door and window damage, were you in Tenerife at the time or was the apt unoccupied ?Where are you on Amarilla Golf as I also own there and had an attempted break in two years ago. These things seemed to have gone away but it now seems worse than ever.
I am over in a month and am getting worried already as it is a major problem and the Police seem useless, to say the least.

polia
06-07-2012, 11:18
This thread really worries me. I had the impression that crime was close to zero in Tenerife! Or maybe this is just in the south where the main tourist places are? Because we were told that the crime rate in Puerto de la cruz is really low.
Anyway, I have shared your concerns with my husband and he said that he can take a few car and home security systems wheh he travels to Tenerife next week as this systems are really cheap here and of a very good quality according to his experience. We will not charge you anything extra for the alarm or for the delivery. He can also help you with the instalation for a small fee. If anyone wants one, PM me and I will check with him and give you the price for the security system you need.
I hope I was of some help!

P.S. He just mentioned that he can make the alarm call your mobile in case of activation if you want that.

princessmonika
06-07-2012, 11:36
Hi davidj. I am in Augusta park. Only went for my usual walk with my friends, when 2 people Spanish. Where disturbed by next door it was 7.30 pm. The police where very helpfully. They got one culprit. Look out for a small dark blue metallic car. 2 people in it Spanish. Don't no a lot more , but Garda. Civil promised to increase the police and what I say. , they did, but they cannot be everywhere.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I posted a thread. Robberies in Augusta park. You must have missed it. It is still under general. One lady identified him. But not the second guy. He is a knowing druggie

Also I think it is a good idea to photograph all the thing one has. And keep it on a cd with the insurance people in your special folder. Let them keep a copy on there file

Polia. Times are bad everywhere. So always in history. Robbery rats go up. Not just in tenerife. 25% unemployment. And after the money you payed in if any. When that runs out you get nothing. Not like ireland and. UK

Deb
06-07-2012, 21:07
Very worring thread! So sorry that this has happened to you! But so lovley that people on here care so much and that actions speak louder than words......you all bring a tear to my eye with your kindness xxx

I will stress and worry that my apartment on GDS is safe everyday now......its awful when in the UK so far away!

Best of luck with all those involves xxx

carpenter
06-07-2012, 21:20
Very worring thread! So sorry that this has happened to you! But so lovley that people on here care so much and that actions speak louder than words......you all bring a tear to my eye with your kindness xxx

I will stress and worry that my apartment on GDS is safe everyday now......its awful when in the UK so far away!

I wouldn't worry too much Deb, I think that the culprits (not just one team) are pocket thieves. Only after items that would be easy to carry and easy to sell and ditch: Phones, cameras, laptops, money, bags. Basically holidaymaker items

TV's, microwave's air-con units all too big and too conspicuous so I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.
My tools were quick and easy to take as were my wife's grooming equipment.

I think most of the robberies have been quick in and out jobs whilst the property has been occupied.

candy2411
06-07-2012, 21:36

wouldn't stress over it Deb, hopefully you have insurance and although a break in would be very upsetting at least you would be reimbursed for material possessions. Not making light of this I assure you, but people are more important and as long as everyone is safe, everything else can be replaced.

I have an apartment in Silencio and sometimes feel as you do , then remind myself everyone I really care about is in the UK, everything else is covered by insurance.

marbro8
06-07-2012, 23:18
it's hard enough to make a living in tenerife without having a set back like you have both suffered (apollo/carpenter) i hope you can both pull through this bad patch and things will get better for you, like you have said in a previous post you still have a lot to be grateful for, good luck and god bless you both:wink2:

carpenter
06-07-2012, 23:33
it's hard enough to make a living in tenerife without having a set back like you have both suffered (apollo/carpenter) i hope you can both pull through this bad patch and things will get better for you, like you have said in a previous post you still have a lot to be grateful for, good luck and god bless you both:wink2:

Very kind words thank you very much

Angusjim
07-07-2012, 08:51
Really sorry to hear about this especially at a time when times are so hard for you, but I have to say I cannot believe that a tradesman would leave what is basically his lively hood in the back of van overnight, I have been at in the industry for 40 years and it has always been a big no no. But in saying that here's hoping you catch the theiving scum that did this.

carpenter
07-07-2012, 14:40
Really sorry to hear about this especially at a time when times are so hard for you, but I have to say I cannot believe that a tradesman would leave what is basically his lively hood in the back of van overnight, I have been at in the industry for 40 years and it has always been a big no no. But in saying that here's hoping you catch the theiving scum that did this.

I was starting work at 6am so I put my tools in my van the evening before as I didn't want to be up at 4.30 to load my van.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious, that really doesn't make me feel any better :crying2:

But thanks for your words of support :)

Margaretta
08-07-2012, 01:10
Hi Apollo and family. So sorry to read this. Just a little thought. I know that you are going to the Boot Fair to see whether you can see your gear being offered for sale. You may have done the following but if not, why not visit or phone all the local pet shops to see whether any equipment is being offered cheaply? I am thinking of the one in Las Chafiras, one in Los Cristianos near the Princesa Dacil and I think one in San Isidro. I'm sure that members can suggest many more. Here's hoping the situation improves for you very soon.

princessmonika
08-07-2012, 09:22
Next door to me. They did take TV.42 DCD player playstatio. So they do take large items

golf birdie
08-07-2012, 10:07
Next door to me. They did take TV.42 DCD player playstatio. So they do take large items

I would be looking at apartments close by as its very rare they carry large items away.

Apollo
08-07-2012, 13:21
Hi Apollo and family. So sorry to read this. Just a little thought. I know that you are going to the Boot Fair to see whether you can see your gear being offered for sale. You may have done the following but if not, why not visit or phone all the local pet shops to see whether any equipment is being offered cheaply? I am thinking of the one in Las Chafiras, one in Los Cristianos near the Princesa Dacil and I think one in San Isidro. I'm sure that members can suggest many more. Here's hoping the situation improves for you very soon.

Thanks for that, hadn't actually thought of doing that so it is a very good idea and I shall do it.

And finally an update for you all.
We were up at 5am this morning and set off to Guaza (with large dog in tow!) along with police report, torch, camera etc.
We did a lap studying everything meticulously by torchlight, then when we got to the end we went back round and did the same again....and again. By this time I was absolutely shattered as was Tony - in fact the only one not shattered was Diablo!)! We did one more lap round but by this point we had been at it over 2 hours and it looked to be fruitless :(
We decided in the end that unfortunately we had not been fortunate and the stuff was probably long gone. Tony wonders if there is even a big network where thieves buy/sell/exchange stuff with other thieves from South to North of the island and our stuff coule be on a flea market somewhere in Santa Cruz or something.

Ah well. It was probably a long shot although I must admit to being quite positive when we set off this morning *sigh*

Thankfully I have re-ordered all my stuff so will be able to work again from mid week hopefully, although very frustrating to have lost out on a weeks work as I was hoping to earn as much money as I could before baby arrives (which could be only a week away as he has to be c-sectioned now :( ) and spend as much time with him as I could before resuming work afterwards. So if nothing else I would like for the thieves to suffer because of what they have taken away from me in that respect! Grrr.
Tony's stuff isn't so easily replaced, but we'll get there. As has been said, and is very true, we still have each other, our baby and our pets and so ultimately they tried but did not succeed to get us down.

I honestly hope that something gets done about all these robberies. It is very upsetting to have been a victim and I hope that no one else has to go through what we have.

Suej
08-07-2012, 13:29
Awww! I was really hoping your post might have been better news! You will get back on top Apollo and I know you both feel violated! As you say you have each other and a new baby due soon! Focus on that now! I think you are right the stuff will be long gone! the Bar steward scum bags would rather give it away for peanuts than be caught with it! Good luck!!!! XX

Apollo
09-07-2012, 11:39
Thanks Sue.
It is gutting but we have to look forward now and hope that our run of bad luck has ended!!
Heres to a new week! :)

viv
09-07-2012, 12:13
So sorry to hear what's happened. I take it you are a dog groomer... My sister is a groomer, has salon in the Uk so I know how expensive the tools are to buy.. you have to really look after them...

We also live on the Golf and am sad to say. yes there has been of robbery gong on. We live on a gated complex and one of the apartments was broken into when the lady went to work!!! I also know people especially holiday makers are being targeted at the bus stops out side of the Pharmacia and the Golf Plaza hotel. A friend of our had his wallet stolen in one of the china shops in January (1000 euro) he had it as they were off the buy a new sofa only to find the shop closed so thought they would call in the China shop next to Mercadona to pick up other bits & pieces they needed, then go back to the furniture shop!!! to late gone!! The Police/ Guardia seem to think the robbers were Romanian!!

Hope you find you stuff... And yes everybody be very careful.. hopefully they will be caught soon!!

tracy hampshire
09-07-2012, 12:16
sorry to hear your bad news, if you know anyone in santa cruz, you could ask them to take a look in cash converters, they sell lots of second hand tools in there, i will ask a guy i know who i know who does the rastro in puerto de la cruz, he lives in the south but does many of the markets on the island, many people aproach him with stuff for sale at the markets, so will ask him to keep a lookout, all the best. tracey .

Apollo
09-07-2012, 14:07
Thanks so much for both of your posts. Shocking to hear so many other robberies happening in the area. What on earth is going on?? I guess this is the recession for you :(
That would be fantastic, thanks Tracy. You never know...

I hope the police start acting on this a bit. Im not sure entirely what they could do but it would have been helpful to have come down and checked our van for fingerprints for a start. It may have shown nothing up, but what it would have shown was a willingness to take it seriously.

Suej
09-07-2012, 14:13
I wondered why so many people seem to have house alarms! there's very few owners on our complex that don't have one! may be it's a case where there are not so many break ins but when there is the Police aren't interested in investigating them!:dontknow:

Margaretta
10-07-2012, 00:00
Another thought: Isn't there a Canarian Ebay in Spanish as well as the English language one? It may be worth checking there too. The thieves may be canny enough to hold on to stuff for a couple of weeks before passing on the goods. The stuff may be stored somewhere. I do hope things will get better for you very soon!

Roadkingrider
10-07-2012, 04:07
No alarm fitted??

Apollo
10-07-2012, 08:05
Evidently not, although this has been made clear in previous posts

princessmonika
10-07-2012, 09:11
I think CCTV. And alarm is good

carpenter
10-07-2012, 10:47
Another thought: Isn't there a Canarian Ebay in Spanish as well as the English language one? It may be worth checking there too. The thieves may be canny enough to hold on to stuff for a couple of weeks before passing on the goods. The stuff may be stored somewhere. I do hope things will get better for you very soon!

It's very unlikely that the thieves will sell stolen items on these sites, you become too easily traceable. But I will be looking none the less, to cover all bases.

Professional tools are the easiest thing to sell.
Simply walk into a bar near to a building site, ask if anyone wants to buy some cheap tools for a tenth of the price that their worth, ask no question I'll tell you no lies.

The buyer will have a good idea that they are stolen/fallen off the back of a lorry so won't care, he/she just knows that they've got a great deal.
These tools are made in their thousands so unless you have a satellite tracking device on them they're gone forever.

200-300 Euros for about 20 mins work, pretty good money. That's the way it's done.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

roofer34uk
11-07-2012, 20:38
it is bad when that happens to anyone hope they catch the gits and string them up by the he haws,
hope you get them back or if someone is offered them to call the cops.

Jenny10
11-07-2012, 21:25
Sorry to hear about your break-in, Apollo. We have had a similar experience recently (house break-in) as well as having my purse snatched last October near La Pinta beach. We got the purse back - the Rumanian woman who took it was spotted immediately and didn't have time to disappear or pass it over to her male partner. We informed the police about the break-in, and when the thieves came back for a second go a fortnight later, we told the police we could give them a good description of the Canarian lads. They didn't seem interested. I think it would help if the police tried a little harder to find the culprits - there are so many incidents of robbery and seemingly very few arrests.
We had a problem claiming from our insurance company too - we didn't have receipts for many of the items stolen (some had been bought in the UK, some were gifts) so we couldn't prove how much they had cost, or that we had actually owned them. I would recommend keeping all purchase receipts and taking photos to prove ownership.