PDA

View Full Version : Television New view box

Suzanne
06-07-2012, 15:59
Hi, does anyone know if the new box that Lord Sugar has launched in the Uk, will it work over here? It might be the answer to all BBC box owners that are unsure if they will lose the signal at the end of the year. Any imput will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BobMac
06-07-2012, 16:03
Hi, does anyone know if the new box that Lord Sugar has launched in the Uk, will it work over here? It might be the answer to all BBC box owners that are unsure if they will lose the signal at the end of the year. Any imput will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What you are talking about is a new system called YouView

You need to have an aerial and an active broadband connection for it to work

See HERE (http://www.youview.com/how-it-works/) for details

Suej
06-07-2012, 16:36
What you are talking about is a new system called YouView

You need to have an aerial and an active broadband connection for it to work

See HERE (http://www.youview.com/how-it-works/) for details

I just tried giving details but their database does not recognise my postcode here!:dontknow:

BobMac
06-07-2012, 17:10
I just tried giving details but their database does not recognise my postcode here!:dontknow:

As far as I can see, this box is just a very over-priced Freeview box (£299) which can be plugged into your network to allow it to use the catch-up TV services

It doesn't seem to do anything that most new TV's can't already do - most new TV's already have this capability built-in to them.

At the time it was first supposed to be released, it would have been worth considering but it's been overtaken by the TV manufacturers advances in what they build in to their new sets and at £299 it's almost the same price as some of the new TV sets which have the same capability built-in.

In Tenerife, it would only give you the catch-up services - BBC Iplayer, 4OD, ITV Player, etc. You would need an active UK TV signal through an aerial for the rest of the stations just like you would in the UK which is probably why your post code isn't accepted.

Suej
06-07-2012, 17:47
As far as I can see, this box is just a very over-priced Freeview box (£299) which can be plugged into your network to allow it to use the catch-up TV services

It doesn't seem to do anything that most new TV's can't already do - most new TV's already have this capability built-in to them.

At the time it was first supposed to be released, it would have been worth considering but it's been overtaken by the TV manufacturers advances in what they build in to their new sets and at £299 it's almost the same price as some of the new TV sets which have the same capability built-in.

In Tenerife, it would only give you the catch-up services - BBC Iplayer, 4OD, ITV Player, etc. You would need an active UK TV signal through an aerial for the rest of the stations just like you would in the UK which is probably why your post code isn't accepted.

Thanks Bob! I'll just stick with my Filmon for now and my box from Miller rental!:)