PDA

View Full Version : Other Living in a "fly free" zone...

Pets@Home
07-07-2012, 10:25
"Want to share, valuble information with you"

We live in Piedra Hincada, and run a very busy Pet Boarding Service there, for Dogs and Cats.
Its fine and wonderful and works well, but there is one thing that gets us down,
"FLIES".
Its nothing to do with having animals, we are surrounded by Banana Plantations and we get thousands, and so does everyone here. Its ok if u want to spend lots of money on flie spray, but it works for an hour, then, back they come.
Worse this month, they sprayed something else on the bananas, and yet more flies, it was getting me down. Then yesterday I saw that "little feet" were having the same problem so I though must share this information.

I was talking to the owners of Bar San Juan, in the square, next to the church, by the way must go fantastic tapas there, and they were having the same problem at home and in their bar.

So the solution to having a "fly free" life.

GO to your local Ferrateria, and ask for 'FENDONA".
It will cost u 48 euros for 500ml bottle,.

25ml does 100 sq metres.

What we do, we bought a 2000ml automatic spray gun, and put 10ml in there
with cold water.

We spray all the walls, the ground, dogs beddingg, cat litter trays, everything where
the buggers are, and now we likve happily in a "FLY FREE" ZONE. I spray daily, and lucky if I get to see 5 in one day.
Also kills those horrid gnat things, and "COCKROCHES".

Safe for both cats and dogs, not for fish though.

Its the best thing I have ever bought and 2000ml of the solution will last at least
5 days .......... so cheaper than all those sprays, in the long run. It has a measuring cap, just unscrews and press to the level u want to use, also can be put into mop buckets.

Hope this helps you all, has us ........... comments pls

will a
07-07-2012, 15:56
sounds wonderful thanks for letting us know

KirstyJay
07-07-2012, 20:11
Try filling up plastic water bottles with water and hanging them near doors. Apparently the way the light and reflections are displaced really confuses the flies and they can't get past it.

A lot cheaper than buying solution every five days too... or maybe it will make your solution go that little bit further if you have to use it less :)

Pets@Home
07-07-2012, 23:56
No thats not it. I use the spray now every other day, and use around 500 ml a time, diluted of course.
The solution is diluted 10ml solution to 2000 ml water.
So that means if the solution is 500 ml to begin with, its gonna last ages and ages and ages..

Sorry forgot to say, spray at night and leave for 12 hours, when pets are indoors, its very powerful
and also kills mosquitos too ...........

timmylish
08-07-2012, 01:17
15 tears or so ago I used to go to the wee bar between Paque de la Reina and the car racing circuit the Spanish family in there always hung out polythene bags full of water near to bright lights. These people maintained it stopped mossies etc. Totally disbelieving I also went to a similar bar in Los Menores who did the same. Why, because they said that when the mossies etc fly past the bags they acted as mirrors reflecting the insect and enlarging the image so much so the mossies were scared off by the gigantic insects they saw so flew out of the area. Now that is the truth (what I was told) and did it work. Have to say yes, to a certain extent cause when the lights went out, the mossies duly returned! But better than nowt when people were visiting because of the large no, of dead water bins, in Menores, creating large swarms of mossies.

slodgedad
08-07-2012, 01:24
15 tears or so ago I used to go to the wee bar between Paque de la Reina and the car racing circuit the Spanish family in there always hung out polythene bags full of water near to bright lights. These people maintained it stopped mossies etc. Totally disbelieving I also went to a similar bar in Los Menores who did the same. Why, because they said that when the mossies etc fly past the bags they acted as mirrors reflecting the insect and enlarging the image so much so the mossies were scared off by the gigantic insects they saw so flew out of the area. Now that is the truth (what I was told) and did it work. Have to say yes, to a certain extent cause when the lights went out, the mossies duly returned! But better than nowt when people were visiting because of the large no, of dead water bins, in Menores, creating large swarms of mossies.

It works...But the OP's suggestion would get the clever sods who had been fooled before..

In The Sun
09-07-2012, 15:36
No thats not it. I use the spray now every other day, and use around 500 ml a time, diluted of course.
The solution is diluted 10ml solution to 2000 ml water.
So that means if the solution is 500 ml to begin with, its gonna last ages and ages and ages..

Sorry forgot to say, spray at night and leave for 12 hours, when pets are indoors, its very powerful
and also kills mosquitos too ...........

Could you let me know do you have to spray daily for the first few weeks then only spray every other day after that ?

Pets@Home
09-07-2012, 23:29
Hi I did the first 3 days and now I am leaving it until they come back.
Will report how long it lasts until have to treat again.
ALSO KILLS MOZZIES

kitty
10-07-2012, 16:42
If I were you, I'd be very careful in using this product, as it could very toxic to pets and mainly to cats as it contains cypermethrin.
Read here. (http://www.ehow.com/info_8604557_happens-cat-exposed-tetramethrin-cypermethrin.html)

In The Sun
10-07-2012, 20:21
Hi I did the first 3 days and now I am leaving it until they come back.
Will report how long it lasts until have to treat again.
ALSO KILLS MOZZIES

Hi, sorry to bother you but I have tried Fortunadas and Chafiras but they have never hear of it. Could you let me know where you bought yours ? By the way we have no cats in our property

Pets@Home
10-07-2012, 23:22
Hi got mine from Playa de San Juan, big Ferrateria by the first bus stop as u go into Playa from
Los Gigantes, or last bus stop if u are coming from Los Cristianos and going to Los Gigantes.

Also comment about animals and cats.
Downloaded the leaflet about product.

It says to treat and leave for 12 hours, where there are no animals and then let them out.
I do mine at night, so have the 12 hours for the treatment, animal free zone, in these cases
one has to be sensible, but, nevertheless, thank you for pointing this out, the product if used
correctly is safe.

This is the address for download, its in spanish but clearly states the 12 hours security time frame.

For those of you with animals the documents for this talk about a security time of 12 hours which means you shouldn't let the animal in the area treated for 12 hours http://www.agro.basf.es/agroportal/es/media/migrated/es/productfiles/3_folletos/Fendona_1.pdf