PDA

View Full Version : Soft fruit bush plants in South Tenerife

tmfkahs
08-07-2012, 11:19
I am interested in growing Blackberries, Blackcurrants et al, but have never taken any notice about their sale before in the local Garden Centres.

Can anyone tell me which GC, if any, they have seen bushes for sale, or alternatively, if anyone has bushes, will they perhaps take a rooted shoot and sell it to me.

KirstyJay
08-07-2012, 19:53
Strawberries and blackberries et al tend to thrive more in more cloudy climates. You sometimes get them in the north of the island, but you don't tend to come across them much.

I too would be interested in knowing if any garden centres have the plants though, as I've never seen any.

cgs
09-07-2012, 18:40
Ive seen blackberries and rasberries in the north but 6euros for a tiny box!!! Would be great if we could get them in south for a bit cheaper though.

Rickiebear
09-07-2012, 19:39
Hi, I don't think they would grow in the dry hot south, perhaps in the higher regions of the north where it is cooler and wetter. Even if you could give them enough water, I think they would grow too quickly, and therefore too much soft growth. Which is why I have never seen them in Garden Centres.
You could try strawberries, try them in a hanging basket or tub. You can grow them from seed. If you want some I can post them from the UK to you.

primrose
09-07-2012, 20:12
Hi, I don't think they would grow in the dry hot south, perhaps in the higher regions of the north where it is cooler and wetter. Even if you could give them enough water, I think they would grow too quickly, and therefore too much soft growth. Which is why I have never seen them in Garden Centres.
You could try strawberries, try them in a hanging basket or tub. You can grow them from seed. If you want some I can post them from the UK to you.

You can get strawberry plants in all the Garden Centers in the South and they grow quite well.

AL JAY
09-07-2012, 20:48
A mate of mine had a garden full of lovely Strawberries years ago in Palm Mar,you could pick enough to fill a bucket in 10 minutes!

KirstyJay
10-07-2012, 00:24
Right... I want some strawberry plants now!!! :D

AL JAY
10-07-2012, 00:49
Right... I want some strawberry plants now!!! :D

Here's a link for growing in Spain! You could even start by growing them in containers in multi purpose compost! Good luck!

http://www.spain-info.co.uk/gardening/strawberries.htm

These type of planters are ideal!

http://www.selections.com/GF2831/pop-up-strawberry-planter-from-gardman/?utm_source=googleadwords&adId=22908520196&keyword=strawberry%20growing&matchtype=b&of_uid=52ee17ce-48d4-4f8e-b723-10217cfd1aa4&gclid=CIGOtf_njbECFVMTfAodAXXqNw