PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of ads on my computer?

balcon
08-07-2012, 20:37
Hi

Does anyone know how to stop those annoying little ads that keep popping up, in the bottom right hand corner of my screen please.

Harmonicaman
08-07-2012, 20:52
If you are using Firefox then get an add-on called adblock plus.

Suej
08-07-2012, 21:01
Some sites tell you you need to disable Adblock in order to view! TV or Sports sites in particular.

willo-the-wisp
08-07-2012, 21:06
Balcon like Harmonicaman says if your default browser is Mozilla Firefox, click Tools (above) then Add-ons you should be able to search for Adblock + pop-up blocker there. If your internet browser is Internet Explorer then again Tools then pop-up blocker, make sure it is on.

balcon
08-07-2012, 21:14
thank you very much, I'll now give it a go

willo-the-wisp
09-07-2012, 08:21
thank you very much, I'll now give it a go

Is your problem fixed yet Balcon?

balcon
09-07-2012, 12:58
No I'm sorry to say, they are still appearing.

I never used to have this problem, and I´ve always blocked pop ups, but these are ads that keep appearing at the bottom right hand corner of the screen

Suej
09-07-2012, 13:20
Post a link on here to a site where you are getting these ads and we could try and see what is happening! There are a few good techy members but not seen them for a while! I'm sure they will have an answer!:)

BobMac
09-07-2012, 13:23
Hi

Does anyone know how to stop those annoying little ads that keep popping up, in the bottom right hand corner of my screen please.

Which browser are you using ??

balcon
09-07-2012, 15:27
I use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Fire Fox and I get the same thing happening on both ..... I will try to post a link, but I´m not 100% sure how to do it :whistle:

BobMac
09-07-2012, 16:24
I use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Fire Fox and I get the same thing happening on both ..... I will try to post a link, but I´m not 100% sure how to do it :whistle:

Suggest you run this - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html or
this - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

I've used both and they are very good at getting rid of unwanted things on your PC

balcon
09-07-2012, 21:24
I've heard of malwarebytes so will give it a try

tnx for your help

penelope pitstop
09-07-2012, 21:54
I have been using Malwarebytes for years & still get the ads. I've been told it's impossible to get rid of them, sorry.

joshll
19-08-2012, 15:35
Google MalwareBytes and get CCleaner too, both help.

Harmonicaman
19-08-2012, 16:24
Neither of these will stop Ads.You will have to download an Adblock plugin.

penelope pitstop
19-08-2012, 17:07
Thanks, will try Adblock, but before I do will it affect anything else?

Ecky Thump
19-08-2012, 19:05
Thanks, will try Adblock, but before I do will it affect anything else?

Nope!:nono:

timmylish
19-08-2012, 23:29
Yes it will affect your ability to view certain web sites particularly those which require the advertising revenue just to exist. This has been mentioned already!
One possible way around this is to go full screen when on such a site and this clears away the advert!

tenerental
27-08-2012, 16:01
Hi

I did a reply to this a few weeks ago but no sign of it ... maybe I misclicked the post button. Is misclicked a real word?

Anyway, firstly you need to think about it. How do the ads decide to pop up on your computer? They don't pop up on mine. Possibly, the source of the ads is to do with software that you have running. Maybe with software you are allowing to start up when booting. How many icons have you got on the taskbar by the clock?
Open CCleaner (you can use other cleaners but I find this simplest), click on Tools, then Startup. You'll discover exactly what you have starting up automatically with the most common problem being a 'slow' startup. I don't know what you have, so cannot answer specifically. However, in general terms, anything in c:\windows, leave it alone. Anything in c:\programs is optional, stop it if you don't need it. For example, do you really want google toolbar updating? msn messenger (when you are using skype anyway). Do any of these startups indicate a link to the ads you are seeing?
If this doesn't resolve the problem (and it will be a good housekeeping exercise anyway) then you have to figure they are coming from cookies you are storing. Spend time on the Internet? You've got cookies. Find out how to stop them with your web browser. And use a cleaner to get rid. GL

deepdivejunkie
29-08-2012, 21:18
I have DNT+ on my pc. Stops ads tracking you. It is configurable to allow ads on certain sites if you wish.
It is free.
The link is http://http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php