PDA

View Full Version : Tax Help needed with organising minimum social security payments for low hours per week

Apollo
09-07-2012, 09:42
I wonder if I can pick peoples brains.

I am trying to find out if there is a minimum social security payment for people not doing many hours work each week.
€250 is going to be waaaay too much for me soon as I will be having a baby and intend to literally carry on for something like 5 -10 hours a week, just to make ends meet as unfortunately Tony's work is dead as a dodo.

Now, I need to be covered health wise which should be standard when paying contributions? But there must be some way of paying less than €250 per month? That is basically a couple of weeks work - more than actually when you factor in travel expenses and the fact that not every job is going to be €25.
I just can't afford that.

I know that Paul James (whether it is "proper and above board" (wink wink) is irrelevant) does a really low payment thing where you pay something like €140 per month for the bare bare minimum and this would be just about affordable. Not that Im saying I want t necessarily use him but the point Im getting at is it must be possible to pay a lower amount if he is offering it AND presumably making a bit on top???

I wanted to have this all sorted a month or so ago but the day I was going to call and meet to do it everything went pear shaped, dog's op, the robbery etc ....so money is basically at an absolute low and therefore paying someone to do all of this was just not possible.
Thanks in advance for any advice or info on this.

chifleta
09-07-2012, 14:44
I think it's actually at 268€ nowadays, and I don't think there is a lower amount.... I went to a seminar a couple of years ago, I think i've got paperwork on it if you want me to email it to you (in Spanish though). I actually asked them if you had a part-time job if the self employed social payment would be any less, but the seminar people couldn't answer me and told me to ask at the seg.soc. office ughh... typical ...... anyway, I did't go in the end as changed my mind about going self employed (same situation, not worth paying out that sort of money if the work I wanted to do paid not much more than that), so don't know any more than that i'm afraid ...

Apollo
09-07-2012, 14:54
I think it's actually at 268€ nowadays, and I don't think there is a lower amount.... I went to a seminar a couple of years ago, I think i've got paperwork on it if you want me to email it to you (in Spanish though). I actually asked them if you had a part-time job if the self employed social payment would be any less, but the seminar people couldn't answer me and told me to ask at the seg.soc. office ughh... typical ...... anyway, I did't go in the end as changed my mind about going self employed (same situation, not worth paying out that sort of money if the work I wanted to do paid not much more than that), so don't know any more than that i'm afraid ...

Thanks for that. I was hoping to drop down to a lesser payment by cutting my hours :(
Seems that Spain does not actually want to encourage people to work legally really and it is any wonder that so many people work in the black. It is absolutely stupid money. My husbands is even more, he's well over €300 because of his profession. How can they expect a couple fo fork out nearly €600 per month before taxes, rent, bills etc. Its just stupid.
Hmmm, Looks like I will have to go back to the drawing board, there's no way I can afford that with only doing a few hours a week :(

golf birdie
09-07-2012, 15:05
Thanks for that. I was hoping to drop down to a lesser payment by cutting my hours :(
Seems that Spain does not actually want to encourage people to work legally really and it is any wonder that so many people work in the black. It is absolutely stupid money. My husbands is even more, he's well over €300 because of his profession. How can they expect a couple fo fork out nearly €600 per month before taxes, rent, bills etc. Its just stupid.
Hmmm, Looks like I will have to go back to the drawing board, there's no way I can afford that with only doing a few hours a week :(

maybe you could be employed by your husband ? 10 hours a week is something like 100€ a month.

Apollo
09-07-2012, 16:38
Thanks, that is worth looking into. I dont know if it would cover me for what I do as it is different to what he does but it is definately worth persuing.

cgs
09-07-2012, 18:33
I went to the social office and as Im married and my husband pays his social I am now covered by his social would this be an option for you? Also what is you just paid into a private healthcare roughly 50/60 euros per month? Hope this helps x

Goldenmaniac
09-07-2012, 18:39
maybe you could be employed by your husband ? 10 hours a week is something like 100€ a month.

Unfortunately they have thought of that one! If you employ a family member (wife, son, daughter) then you have to pay a full equivalent self employed contribution for them you can not employ family members on part time contracts, what is an advantage however is that the family member is not taxed separately, although the main worker's tax will go up if they are paying modulo tax (estimaciσn objectiva)

chifleta
09-07-2012, 22:45

if you are married, one cannot employ the other i'm afraid, unless they've changed that rule in the last year or so :( you have to both become self employed.....

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

agree.... and feeling your frustration....

just read the other answers, so maybe things have changed over the last few years....

slodgedad
09-07-2012, 22:46
Why not try the Entertainers' route.

Go to Paul James and he'll employ you as anything for a monthly fee.

Completely covered.

KirstyJay
09-07-2012, 22:47
My autonomo payments are 254€/month. I agree, the system is no conducive to becoming legal. It seems that everything possible is put in your way. :(

Apollo
10-07-2012, 08:11
Thanks for the replies.
Paul James is an option then if it will keep me legal as a dog groomer and not just an entertainer, thanks!

Very true Kirsty, it seems a road block is put up at every turn! :doh:

bonitatime
12-07-2012, 16:31
If I was you I Think I would try Paul James. There was someone else doing this but I cant remember a name. At least this way you are covered. As to the rights or wrongs of it at least you are paying something into the system.