PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Strange bird in night sky

davship
10-07-2012, 09:08
Please help!
over the past couple of years when we stay in Callao Salvaje of a night we hear very strange bird calls as they are flying over. When we look up the underside of the birds are bright yellow(although that might just be the ambient street lighting) when we asked somebody local they told us that they are commonly known as "Wacka-Wacka" birds after their call but i would love to identify the real name of these birds.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Angusjim
10-07-2012, 09:22
I believe there are a few "strange birds" in Callao :whistle::whistle:

primrose
10-07-2012, 09:27
Please help!
over the past couple of years when we stay in Callao Salvaje of a night we hear very strange bird calls as they are flying over. When we look up the underside of the birds are bright yellow(although that might just be the ambient street lighting) when we asked somebody local they told us that they are commonly known as "Wacka-Wacka" birds after their call but i would love to identify the real name of these birds.

Many thanks in anticipation.

They are Cory Shearwaters.

AL JAY
10-07-2012, 09:35
The Cory Shearwater's largest colony is to be found on "Savage Island" Madeira,here's a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory%27s_Shearwater

Another link

http://www.madeirabirds.com/corys_shearwater_calonectris_diomedea_borealis

davship
10-07-2012, 10:49
It depends how many pints youve had in Bo'locks(ha!ha!)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I believe there are a few "strange birds" in Callao :whistle::whistle:

It depends how many pints youve had!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

many thanks for all the replies (this forum really is brilliant for info)

universal
13-07-2012, 16:40
Here they call these shearwaters "wenya wenyas". I had two fly into my house around this time last year, as fledglings their navigation skills aren't what they should be.
As they are protected species we called the policia local - they turned up in record time and took one away, (the other flew off) said he had dealt with nine so far that day.

atlantico
13-07-2012, 17:48
they are indeed Cory Shearwaters, like small Albatross, big seagulls and can grow up to 4' wingspan. Stayed at Jardin Tecina on La Gomera last month and each night they'd fly home from being out at sea all day, have a game of aerial acrobatics and sing using that 'wacka wacka' noise - scary at first ! ( more like 'wacka, wacka, wacka, wack, wacka , wack). They are indeed protected and go to Africa in winter.

Margaretta
14-07-2012, 00:35
There is a Cape Verde species too. They fly to our local mountain from the sea when it gets dark and for a long time I thought it was a child blowing a gazoo!!

slodgedad
14-07-2012, 01:18
There is a Cape Verde species too. They fly to our local mountain from the sea when it gets dark and for a long time I thought it was a child blowing a gazoo!!
The little bugger is still there. Remember we thought it was some kind of cuckoo.

Every bloody morning.:duh: and I like birds....:)

david16
14-07-2012, 11:24
Once saw a pink Flamingo fly over Palm Mar

davship
18-07-2012, 08:49
Once saw a pink Flamingo fly over Palm Mar

Too many majitos???

Bazz
18-07-2012, 09:40
No - if you've too many of them it's usually pink elephants! :lol:

Margaretta
18-07-2012, 15:24
each night they'd fly home from being out at sea all day, have a game of aerial acrobatics and sing using that 'wacka wacka' noise - scary at first ! ( more like 'wacka, wacka, wacka, wack, wacka , wack).

Could you sing that for us please Atlantico?:lol:

Wile E Coyote
04-09-2013, 12:30
Mystery solved! Thanks primrose.
We have an apartment in phase II of the Los Gigantes Harbour Club and have just returned home after 2 weeks.:cry: There are only 3 of the released parrots left (and do they make sure you know it!) who roost around us and I thought it might be them but on one night last week, we could see quite a number of the birds flying - in complete darkness apart form the light pollution - and could just make out the shape and size and that it was them doing the chuntering.

Chayofa Tete
05-09-2013, 08:27
Thanks everyone for the information this has puzzled me for years

Ecky Thump
05-09-2013, 08:50
and I like birds....:)

Yeah, it's been noticed, when you are out at nights you can't keep your eyes off them!!:laugh:

Carina
09-09-2013, 15:17
Here the bird is called "pardela"

Suej
10-09-2013, 14:09
We get some really strange looking sparrows in Chayofa!!! here's one on a neighbour's roof that we spotted the other day!:wow:

Malteser Monkey
10-09-2013, 14:47
We get some really strange looking sparrows in Chayofa!!! here's one on a neighbour's roof that we spotted the other day!:wow:

That from the Eagle park ?

Suej
10-09-2013, 15:58

Hee Hee! Yeah! he arrived on Sunday morning on a roof opposite our garden! my neighbour phoned the Jungle Park and told them but they said they were not missing any birds! Hmmm! :dontknow:

Carina
10-09-2013, 20:49
Seems a stork to me. On it's way from Europe to Africa?

slodgedad
10-09-2013, 22:38
Seems a stork to me. On it's way from Europe to Africa?
As long as it leaves nothing at my house on it's way..:nono:

Peterrayner
11-09-2013, 00:04

That's the ******* that bit me there last year.