PDA

View Full Version : What do you call the media hard disc drives in Spanish, so I can store my videos on?

chocaholic
12-07-2012, 09:53
Hi, does anyone have any experience or even know what they are called in English and Spanish?
I am looking for a device to store my films on that I can just plug into my TV or dvd player?
I believe it is like a hard drive for films but know nothing about thEM
Any advice and also where to buy one in Tenerife welcome
Cheers

junglejim
12-07-2012, 11:03
Depends on the TV you have - if it has a media player in it that will support playing movies then something like a Western Digital"My Passport" 500gb/1TB would do ,price around €70 - I also have an IOMEGA Screenplay Media centre which will play directly on any TV via HDMI, Scart. or Composite leads about €150 these days .
500gb should store more than 400 films depending on format.
PC shop in Valdes Centre was where I bought Iomega , WD was Amazon . WORTEN at Las Chafiras should have them.
Look up on Amazon to get idea of details and rough price , then google to get technical details.
http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_7/277-0695427-9675803?__mk_es_ES=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=western+digital+my+passport&sprefix=Western%2Caps%2C330

http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_7/277-0695427-9675803?__mk_es_ES=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=western+digital+my+passport&sprefix=Western%2Caps%2C330

chocaholic
12-07-2012, 12:22
Thanks Junglejim. I have a question :)
I believe my tvs do have built in media player as I currently plug a usb into my dvd player which plays perfectly on the tv.
So I believe the first option "if it has a media player in it that will support playing movies then something like a Western Digital"My Passport" 500gb/1TB would do ,price around €70 " would suffice but how do I plug this in?
Ideally need a 2TB to allow for future additions.
Thanks

junglejim
12-07-2012, 12:48
Thanks Junglejim. I have a question :)
I believe my tvs do have built in media player as I currently plug a usb into my dvd player which plays perfectly on the tv.
So I believe the first option "if it has a media player in it that will support playing movies then something like a Western Digital"My Passport" 500gb/1TB would do ,price around €70 " would suffice but how do I plug this in?
Ideally need a 2TB to allow for future additions.
Thanks
If you look up your TV make and model on the website of manufacturer on the internet it should get you the information on what it supports . Usually they'll also have a forum somewhere as well.
The TV's with Media player will play movies from an unpowered USB source , it runs of USB Hub in TV
If it has a USB port then you can try a simple flash drive with a film loaded and this should play if it supports movies other wise you will need a media centre similiar to IOMEGA , I would suggest you don't put all your media onto 1 drive , if it goes you lose the lot! (Backup is the Key!)

KirstyJay
12-07-2012, 13:26
Disco duro para media would do, if you were asking for one in a shop.

chocaholic
12-07-2012, 13:56
If you look up your TV make and model on the website of manufacturer on the internet it should get you the information on what it supports . Usually they'll also have a forum somewhere as well.
The TV's with Media player will play movies from an unpowered USB source , it runs of USB Hub in TV
If it has a USB port then you can try a simple flash drive with a film loaded and this should play if it supports movies other wise you will need a media centre similiar to IOMEGA , I would suggest you don't put all your media onto 1 drive , if it goes you lose the lot! (Backup is the Key!)
Thanks! Backed up multiple times and on online cloud!