PDA

View Full Version : Other Do you think that Spanish police deserve respect?

carpenter
13-07-2012, 17:45
I'm currently reading an interesting story in the Tenerife Weekly Page 11 "Hawkers in Granada due in court for beating up police officers"

The paper reports that two Senegalese hawkers (a hawker is a lookout for the manteros (street vendors displaying merchandise on blankets )) face one and a half years in jail + 500€ fine and deportation for allegedly putting THREE local police officers in hospital.

My 1st concern is why is the potential punishment so lenient?
My other concern is how do 3 armed police officers get beaten up? Surely one police officer possibly two, would approach the men and the third would stay at a safer distance providing cover.

The police here like nothing better than inspecting your paperwork and imposing fines, and they can because they are nothing but bullies.

The Guardia Civil are old school underpaid Franco left overs, Policia Local are armed civil servants the National Policia learning to be bigger a***ho;es than the Guardia and the Protection Civil are a cross between lollipop-men and community support officers.

I personally have very little respect for any of the police forces here. I laughed out loud when I was at the Guardia Civil offices in Granadilla last week and the officer behind the front desk was carrying a side arm. For Christs sake in the UK that job is done by civilians.

It's all image but the image alone no longer works, it no longer invokes fear, just pity! Maybe if they got rid of the firearms and just had one armed response unit and put the money saved into buying a finger printing kit and a big magnifying glass I might start thinking differently

FKB
13-07-2012, 18:51
Totally agree with you, Tenerife has got to be close to having one of the worst police set ups in the world.
Arrogant, ignorant individuals with little in the way of courteous communication skills.
Has anyone seen one smile at all.

golf birdie
13-07-2012, 19:06
Totally agree with you, Tenerife has got to be close to having one of the worst police set ups in the world.
Arrogant, ignorant individuals with little in the way of courteous communication skills.
Has anyone seen one smile at all.

to see the way the tourists are treated at the police station when trying to report crime is a sad picture of Tenerife.

TF1
13-07-2012, 19:18
Iīd hate to have their job ...... slated by the public for "not doing their job", and restricted by the courts so much that they canīt do much if they do catch criminals, and they canīt even defend themselves effectively (they need to file a full report every time a firearm is taken out of the holster in public). Canīt blame the officers, but the system they try to work within is lamentable.

warbey
13-07-2012, 20:01
Over the Years as a Holidaymaker, I have had two occasions to connect with the Police.

Once was routine and was a few questions about what I had seen.

The second was when I was given a Highish value Euro Note that wasnt a standard one.
The advice I was given was excellent and I was treated as a Person by Him and His M
ate who was with Him.

I understand that Police are drawn from the Mainland, so perhaps this has some effect..

Finally, I once had a duff Supervisor. One Day I told Him I didn't respect Him, but only the Position He held

I honestly think thats well worth keeping in mind, especially if You are in the wrong..

carpenter
13-07-2012, 20:03
Iīd hate to have their job ...... slated by the public for "not doing their job", and restricted by the courts so much that they canīt do much if they do catch criminals, and they canīt even defend themselves effectively (they need to file a full report every time a firearm is taken out of the holster in public). Canīt blame the officers, but the system they try to work within is lamentable.

You mean they have to do a report when they draw a weapon! The English police have to do a report when they arrest someone, speak to someone regarding a crime, question someone, interview someone the list goes on and on so that's no excuse you've just added to my gripe that they are lazy sods.
I should hope that they did have to file a report if they drew their weapon in public.

If they're too afraid of extra paperwork take the guns away from them.

As I said in my OP give the responsibility of a firearm to a higher trained unit and lets have the police policing.

tracy hampshire
13-07-2012, 20:07
i have only had , 3 dealings with the police here 2 good & 1 bad, the bad was years ago when i was here on holiday, my boy friend and i were getting a lift home with one of his friends from the sahara, & we were pulled over for no reason, my bf was pulled out of the car & thrown to the floor, the officers( national police) we very heavy handed, shouting at me for my paperwork, did not belive i was english, when everything calmed down we went to the police station where they were very apologetic, the good 2 were, once again bf, was dragged into the national police in puerto de la cruz, a case of misstaken identity, they we looking for a moroccan, i was with him at the time & got very upset & the police were lovely, even got a hug & again when we wanted to get married , you need proof of where you have lived for the passed 2 years, even though we had lived in puerto, ( everything in my name) the police in icod were great, writing us up documents to say he had lived in icod for 12 years ( probably guilt for the afore mentioned bad experience !!!!! only joking) so after all that waffle, iīm on the fence on this one, i supose you have good & bad same as everywhere, but i do agree the system is a farce.

CIM
13-07-2012, 22:57
I have seen them all in action and not been impressed. I feel sorry for the decent ones who do a solid job who are tarred with the same brush as all the thickos that seem to be so prevalent throughout the police forces.
"Bullies" is the first description that springs to mind - other descriptions that come to mind are "arrogant" "machisto" "head up own arses" "waste of space" "waste of money"
Why on Earth do they need 4 types of police force in Tenerife?? Standing around in military gear with guns hanging off them. Youīd think it was Mexico City rather than a holiday island.
Get rid of the guns, get rid of all but one police force, retrain them to understand they are public servants and ditch the high and mighty 70īs style despot attitudes!

carpenter
13-07-2012, 23:08
I have seen them all in action and not been impressed. I feel sorry for the decent ones who do a solid job who are tarred with the same brush as all the thickos that seem to be so prevalent throughout the police forces.
"Bullies" is the first description that springs to mind - other descriptions that come to mind are "arrogant" "machisto" "head up own arses" "waste of space" "waste of money"
Why on Earth do they need 4 types of police force in Tenerife?? Standing around in military gear with guns hanging off them. Youīd think it was Mexico City rather than a holiday island.
Get rid of the guns, get rid of all but one police force, retrain them to understand they are public servants and ditch the high and mighty 70īs style despot attitudes!

:agree: Totally

Jackie
13-07-2012, 23:08
I don't think ditch the guns for one minute....what a different place the UK would be if the police carried guns...I've had a few encounters with the police since moving here and every time they have come out tops. Maybe if you're a motorist driving in flip flops the case may be different lol....they're not there to be your mate but by god are some of them good eye candy lol...

carpenter
13-07-2012, 23:15
I don't think ditch the guns for one minute....what a different place the UK would be if the police carried guns...I've had a few encounters with the police since moving here and every time they have come out tops. Maybe if you're a motorist driving in flip flops the case may be different lol....they're not there to be your mate but by god are some of them good eye candy lol...
But Jackie if the police carried guns in the UK then more criminals would carry guns. It is kept to one firearms division in each police force to ensure the best training and understanding of their weapon.

Simples lol, also they are not eye candy for me more like diabetes

Tom & Sharon
13-07-2012, 23:40
I think they do command more respect than British police. The guns, jackboots and military stance may be an unwanted throw back, but for me they still appear to be more in control.

Ask the young ones are they afraid of them. I think they are afraid of the Guardia here, but laugh at UK police. Have you ever seen a PCSO in action? They are a joke, and no wonder the kids don't take them seriously. The UK can't even afford a proper, complete police service. Half of it is farmed out to these "plastic policeman".

Read this Carpenter, and ask yourself if that was your child (to be) would you rather be in the UK when it happened, or here, where there are no silly H&S restraints. I personally can't see the Guardia standing by and letting this happen:-

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/67080-officers-watched-boy-drown

tracy hampshire
14-07-2012, 00:10
i have seen both local people & police jump in the sea here, along san telmo in puerto de la cruz, a really dangerous area to swim when the tides are strong, no questions asked no training nesessary, when a life needs saving , it needs saving ,within minutes the police are there to help, could that be said about the uk,that is the general diference here, people care, i have seen an old lady colapse, and people run to help her, & police are there within minutes, could that also be said about the uk, or here as it is at home is it just a post code lottery, i live in the north, are things different in the south??????

timmylish
14-07-2012, 00:42
i have seen both local people & police jump in the sea here, along san telmo in puerto de la cruz, a really dangerous area to swim when the tides are strong, no questions asked no training nesessary, when a life needs saving , it needs saving ,within minutes the police are there to help, could that be said about the uk,that is the general diference here, people care, i have seen an old lady colapse, and people run to help her, & police are there within minutes, could that also be said about the uk, or here as it is at home is it just a post code lottery, i live in the north, are things different in the south??????

Tracy. I don,t see any difference in police but certainly in tourist. I have some problem in deciding on this one since I have not been in the UK for a very long time so comparisons are out. I generally feel very safe and secure living on Tenerife, as does Mrs.T in particular. This has to be down to policing. The question of gun carrying. Again I have no problem and I would differ with the general consensus in that by carrying a side arm I see very little of criminals carrying guns here. As to the Guardia,s attitude to us the paying customer all that I can say is that if I,ve ever been stopped on the road they are required to salute and at worst mumble a courteous "Good Day". Most of the officers I,ve ever dealt with smile so I am at a loss to know why they don,t to the members above? Frankly, a lot will come back to the old problem of not speaking some Spanish, in the main. Other than ourselves all that we can judge by is what friends or family tell and us and, at the moment, that is only positive comment. So, along with Tracy, I go against the grain on this matter.

carpenter
14-07-2012, 00:44
Tom and Sharon thanks for that link a truly horrible story of both a child's bravery and the spinelessness of capable adults.

The PCSO's that you speak of are a joke they were David Blunkets money saving idea after keeping the peace was relegated to a "second-order consideration". The whole idea of PCSOs was that they would give communities a greater sense of security by their very visibility on the streets.

What they actually did was cause embarrassment to themselves and the police forces that had to work alongside them. In my opinion they are the dinner ladies of the British police force.

In the story in your link were the details of a legitimate policeman that stripped off his body armor to dive in and try to save the boy. Armor that is sadly necessary in the UK today.

As CIM said previously this is a holiday paradise island and I add that this is NOTHING like the UK.
Guardia jumping in the water and helping? I should think so because even my dog would! There's my comparison.

KirstyJay
14-07-2012, 00:51
In my opinion they are the dinner ladies of the British police force. Don't you think that's doing a bit of a disservice to dinner ladies? ;)

carpenter
14-07-2012, 00:58
Don't you think that's doing a bit of a disservice to dinner ladies? ;)

Sorry Kirsty! can I have some more chips please?

slodgedad
14-07-2012, 01:00
I respect the Spanish police a lot more than I do the British version.

I have witnessed the arrogant attitude of Brits when talking to them and have admired their patience.

Respect seems to be a dirty word to most Brits, but a little bit goes a long way.

Can you imagine a British cops attitude if a drunk was cursing them in a language they didn-t understand.

Do you think they-d smile

Jackie
14-07-2012, 01:01
Sorry Carpenter but when I left the UK knife crime was rife in my area and one of the main reasons I wanted my kids out of it.....knife versus gun no contest. The police in the UK can't do jack anymore..if them wearing a gun puts the s***s up people then in my eyes that's a good thing

carpenter
14-07-2012, 01:07
Sorry Carpenter but when I left the UK knife crime was rife in my area and one of the main reasons I wanted my kids out of it.....knife versus gun no contest. The police in the UK can't do jack anymore..if them wearing a gun puts the s***s up people then in my eyes that's a good thing

and my best friend was stabbed to death two years before I moved here, but arming the British bobby Nooooooooooooo. Worst idea ever, that's exactly why they haven't armed them because gun crime would escalate 10 fold

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I respect the Spanish police a lot more than I do the British version.

I have witnessed the arrogant attitude of Brits when talking to them and have admired their patience.

Respect seems to be a dirty word to most Brits, but a little bit goes a long way.

Can you imagine a British cops attitude if a drunk was cursing them in a language they didn-t understand.

Do you think they-d smile

After working the door for 20 years I always smiled if I had a drunk person slagging me off because I knew that this person in front of me will probably **** themselves on the way home, lose their keys, get mugged by a prostitute, wake up in a pool of vomit and with a hangover from hell. How's that not funny? and so easy to deal with, especially if I can't understand them!

Jackie
14-07-2012, 01:20
I know your story Carpenter and while it is very sad that it should happen to anyone most of the knife crime is committed by no more than kids. One of my sons friends got stabbed to death at a railway station at the age of 15...why? because my sons football team beat his during a schools match. I'm sorry but that was too close to home for me.... I really think the sight of the police with guns and the power to give these kids a good slap would make them think twice...they know the police in the UK have their hands tied and they take the p out of them. All you hear is 'parent shouldn't smack their kids' etc. sorry and I know i'll get stick but I brought my kids into this world and I would take them out of it if they were ever involved in anything like that. It's political correctness gone crazy and that's the reason so much c**p is going on in the UK right now. Give me the Spanish police over those in the UK any time.

carpenter
14-07-2012, 01:45
I know your story Carpenter and while it is very sad that it should happen to anyone most of the knife crime is committed by no more than kids. One of my sons friends got stabbed to death at a railway station at the age of 15...why? because my sons football team beat his during a schools match. I'm sorry but that was too close to home for me.... I really think the sight of the police with guns and the power to give these kids a good slap would make them think twice...they know the police in the UK have their hands tied and they take the p out of them. All you hear is 'parent shouldn't smack their kids' etc. sorry and I know i'll get stick but I brought my kids into this world and I would take them out of it if they were ever involved in anything like that. It's political correctness gone crazy and that's the reason so much c**p is going on in the UK right now. Give me the Spanish police over those in the UK any time.

Complete agreement about most of your points but we will never agree about the police being armed. That will never stop knife crime or even come close to helping reduce it.
Why is it necessary for a policeman to carry a weapon? I can't think of one reason.
Protection? NO
Deterrent? Definitely not
Respect? You must be joking

It's all in the training and the command that a man or women can give to a situation. It's not a gun......

Angusjim
14-07-2012, 13:16
Why do all threads asking questions about bad aspects about Tenerife always end up being a lets slag off the UK :dontknow:

carpenter
14-07-2012, 14:33
Why do all threads asking questions about bad aspects about Tenerife always end up being a lets slag off the UK :dontknow:

I'm definitely not slating the British bobby, it's just that most people on here only have one comparison to Tenerife and that's the UK and if they disagree with the OP then it's the old "well it's better than the UK brigade"

I wasn't asking if the Spanish police are better than the British police or even do who do you respect more?

Simply put I do not respect the Spanish police, I think they do as little as possible, the system that they adhere to is corrupt and needs radically updating. A proper police complaints investigation division that doesn't take an eternity to lift a pen is needed. They are public servants and they need to remember that they are just that.

World crime has changed over the years, it has become more sophisticated but the Spanish police and their methods haven't.

Jackie
14-07-2012, 14:49
It's not slagging of the UK at all...it's comparing. If the police in the UK come of bad in some of those comparisons then so be it.

Angusjim
14-07-2012, 15:06
It's not slagging of the UK at all...it's comparing. If the police in the UK come of bad in some of those comparisons then so be it.

No one asked for a comparison the question was "do you think that Spanish police deserve respect" it did not ask is the Spanish police system better than in the UK.

Suej
14-07-2012, 15:50
You only have to ask the Spanish or Canarians what they think about the Police here! You might not like the answers!eek2:

atlantico
14-07-2012, 19:13
let the World decide.

How many Countries Worldwide, in percentage, arm their Police ?

The answer to that question, IS the answer !

CIM
14-07-2012, 19:42
Quick example of the police one night last month:

Friday night, 11.30pm, South Tenerife
Busy down town with the pubs and clubs heating up, revelers who have been out since early/late afternoon already worse for wear after hours boozing and watching the European championship football. Petty crime, muggings and thefts on the rise as the crisis continues unabated.... Organised groups of pick pockets fleece unsuspecting tourists in busy bars and scuffles break out as the copious amounts of alcohol take affect - some will take a turn for the worse and blood will probably be shed in more than one place. The usual conveyor belt of accident victims make their way to casualty and a few restaurants request help evicting some rowdy Russian clients who have decided they dont want to pay their bill. A typical Friday night which will keep the police and emergency services busy until sunrise....

Yet two of these divs have turned up at my tennis club BBQ to spend an hour making sure the clubs paperwork/late license is all above board - obviously got nothing better to do....

slodgedad
14-07-2012, 23:05
So what you're saying is that ALL resources should be targeted at the trouble on a particular day.

This is a very simplistic viewpoint, IMHO. Crooks would love it..

CIM
14-07-2012, 23:35
What I am saying is if they dont have anything better to do than go pestering business owners for paperwork at 11:30 on a Friday night then perhaps they aren't needed to begin with....
Surely this type of work is for some pen pusher / administrator / bureaucrat to carry out rather than tying up the precious hours of two "Highly trained" "respected" firearms carrying police officers and their accompanying expensively kitted out vehicle.

slodgedad
14-07-2012, 23:52
But the same can be said for police forces the world over.

Paperwork is the key to most successful convictions and lack of properly effected paperwork is the reason many crooks are let off.

The point 'highly trained' police officers are used is so that mistakes are not made.

Do you really think a 'highly trained' police officer enjoys paper pushing?

CIM
15-07-2012, 00:05
One of them looked embarrassed, the other one was a "Little Hitler" type and yes - he was thoroughly enjoying the "power" he was wielding. He is well known as a vindictive ********!

slodgedad
15-07-2012, 00:09
You find 'jobsworths' everywhere.

In general though, I don't think it's their preferred daily task.

Oberon
15-07-2012, 02:25
I think that generally the character of the person who wants to be a policeman is pretty similar the world over.
I've certainly seen first hand some pretty heavy handed policing in London. Lots of right arrogant and ignorant bullies there.

What I find really sad is having to listen to people who think that everything here should be done just like it is in Britain ... it's as if , yeah the weathers nice but there are loads of really annoying people around who eat funny food and shout a lot.

For Christs sake in the UK that job is done by civilians.

The English police have to do .............

Get rid of the guns, get rid of all but one police force, retrain them to understand they are public servants....... Good God ... haven't you ever been anywhere apart from Tenerife? .... these guys are pussy cats ..... grumpy pussy cats, but pussy cats all the same.

But you will find that the National Police are generally quite well educated and quite efficient, they're the ones who passed the exams to be proper policemen.

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 08:25

Get them up to the airport to get some tips from the the charmers who check your passports. They are belters half them look like they have just woken up and the others are still asleep.:c2:

Graceylacey
15-07-2012, 09:51
I have written, deleted and re written this post!!!

I know a few policeman on this island on a personal level and I feel very strongly that they do deserve respect. Just because they do jobs that some people think should be done by a civilian is no reason to slag them off. That is how it is done over here, if you dont like it, go back to the country where they leave jobs like that to civilians. Most of us commenting on this do live here and we have to realise that this is how they work. I am sure you are all pretty quick to celebrate all the fiestas that they have here in Spain and support Spain when England have been knocked out of the football, so take the good with the bad!!
The police here are armed and not all of them are grumpy, as for eye candy, being female I have no problem ogling them, they are all gorgeous!!!!!:lol:

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 10:14

I know a few policeman on this island on a personal level and I feel very strongly that they do deserve respect. Just because they do jobs that some people think should be done by a civilian is no reason to slag them off. That is how it is done over here, if you dont like it, go back to the country where they leave jobs like that to civilians. Most of us commenting on this do live here and we have to realise that this is how they work. I am sure you are all pretty quick to celebrate all the fiestas that they have here in Spain and support Spain when England have been knocked out of the football, so take the good with the bad!!
The police here are armed and not all of them are grumpy, as for eye candy, being female I have no problem ogling them, they are all gorgeous!!!!!:lol:

Is there any policewomen in Tenerife most comments seem to refer to policemen only??

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 10:23
Call the police in the UK = A crime number
Call the police here = a knock on the door 10 mins later.

Car broken into in the Uk = Crime number
Car broken into here = A visit from forensics

Theres a game in the UK, its called: Spot the REAL copper!!!

Your in the UK and an Afgan speaks to you like dirt, the next day another Afgan speaks to you like dirt.
The next day an Afgan approaches you to ask a question... How would you react?

After all the abuse the spanish have had from the Brits over the years, no wonder you come across screptical and grumpy police.

As for some of the jobs they have to do. What kind of expression would you have on your face after looking at 10,000 passports or proccessing the same document over and over. I'm sure as a police officer I would rather be on the street helping an elderly lady to cross the road.

Respect? Oh yes R.E.S.P.E.C.T. And my respect even reaches not just the police but also respect to the guy that sweeps the same street every morning and the people that pick up the litter at the side of the road.

There is another job here that deserves equal respect to the police, as they both to do a similar job and thats the guy that pumps out and cleans up your S from the black holes and sewers.

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 10:41

Your in the UK and an Afgan speaks to you like dirt, the next day another Afgan speaks to you like dirt.
The next day an Afgan approaches you to ask a question... How would you react?

After all the abuse the spanish have had from the Brits over the years, no wonder you come across screptical and grumpy police.

As for some of the jobs they have to do. What kind of expression would you have on your face after looking at 10,000 passports or proccessing the same document over and over. I'm sure as a police officer I would rather be on the street helping an elderly lady to cross the road.

Respect? Oh yes R.E.S.P.E.C.T. And my respect even reaches not just the police but also respect to the guy that sweeps the same street every morning and the people that pick up the litter at the side of the road.

There is another job here that deserves equal respect to the police, as they both to do a similar job and thats the guy that pumps out and cleans up your S from the black holes and sewers.

Try passport in Edinburgh for example always very happy & chat with you, its called good customer relations. They are the 1st people you meet at an airport and their faces looking like skelped a----s is not a great 1st impression of Tenerife ( sorry Jackie off Topic I know:ashamed:)

Suej
15-07-2012, 11:08
Is there any policewomen in Tenerife most comments seem to refer to policemen only??

Plenty of policewomen here Angusjim! you even see them riding those huge motorbikes!

CIM
15-07-2012, 12:04

I know a few policeman on this island on a personal level.
The only difference this makes is that your opinions are therefore bias (less objective.)

If you dont like it, go back to the country where....
A clumsy and simplistic retort which I often hear when people try to defend something but cant construct a valid argument to support their opposing opinion.
I have as much right as anyone living here (of any nationality) to voice my opinion on any service on the island to which my taxes contribute.

Graceylacey
15-07-2012, 12:36
The only difference this makes is that your opinions are therefore bias (less objective.)

A clumsy and simplistic retort which I often hear when people try to defend something but cant construct a valid argument to support their opposing opinion.
I have as much right as anyone living here (of any nationality) to voice my opinion on any service on the island to which my taxes contribute.

It actually gives me more insight into what they actually do rather than you lot who are just slagging them off.

You are entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to mine.

golf birdie
15-07-2012, 13:00

that is so far off the the mark. I called 112 year or so back when a man was being attacked and the police came 30 minutes later, the man was on his way to hospital by the time they got there. There are times when it kicks off at veronicas and the police take an age to respond as they wait for back up to arrive. As I wrote earlier, pop down the police station and watch the sad way the tourists who fall victim of crime here are treated.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 13:08
that is so far off the the mark. I called 112 year or so back when a man was being attacked and the police came 30 minutes later, the man was on his way to hospital by the time they got there. There are times when it kicks off at veronicas and the police take an age to respond as they wait for back up to arrive. As I wrote earlier, pop down the police station and watch the sad way the tourists who fall victim of crime here are treated.

I was in a pub in Manchester having after time. Two coppers knocked on the back door and popped in for a drink. They told us they were the only officers on duty that night to cover the whole of Failsworth and surrounding areas.

All be it late, but at least some officers showed up in your case.

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 14:02
Plenty of policewomen here Angusjim! you even see them riding those huge motorbikes!

Would you say are they in shot putter class or eye candy:lol:

Suej
15-07-2012, 14:07
Would you say are they in shot putter class or eye candy:lol:

The ones I have seen I would say are eye candy for the fellas! Apart from one I saw in the Police station a few years ago sitting behind her desk smoking a fag boobs busting out of her shirt! actually everything was busting out! Now you wouldn't want ya collar felt by her I'm sure!:laugh:

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 14:16
The ones I have seen I would say are eye candy for the fellas! Apart from one I saw in the Police station a few years ago sitting behind her desk smoking a fag boobs busting out of her shirt! actually everything was busting out! Now you wouldn't want ya collar felt by her I'm sure!:laugh:

It's not my collar I was thinking about :wink2::lol:

Suej
15-07-2012, 14:19
It's not my collar I was thinking about :wink2::lol:

She had hands like shovels so I don't blame you!:wow::laugh:

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 14:33

Nae babysitting work for Gracey from you then Andy :whistle::lol:

Oberon
15-07-2012, 14:35
There are times when it kicks off at veronicas and the police take an age to respond as they wait for back up to arrive. I doubt they are simply waiting for backup.
If it were me policing the area, "kicking off at veronicas" would be something I would be very very slow to respond to. One of those places where they would be right to think - you go there, your problem.

golf birdie
15-07-2012, 15:58
I doubt they are simply waiting for backup.
If it were me policing the area, "kicking off at veronicas" would be something I would be very very slow to respond to. One of those places where they would be right to think - you go there, your problem.

if they have a licence to open and sell alcohol they deserve as much response from the police as any other bar on the island. Don't tar all who go there as thugs as that is a milion miles from the truth. There are also a lot of youngster working in the area who deserve much better response from the police who think its ok to let them sort it out.

Jackie
15-07-2012, 18:54

Why does everyone slag Veronicas/Starco? or does everyone just jump on the bandwagon? I've been down there the last few weeks with mates and had nothing but a great time. Not one fight or any trouble in sight and believe me we visited plenty of the bars/clubs

golf birdie
15-07-2012, 19:04
Why does everyone slag Veronicas/Starco? or does everyone just jump on the bandwagon? I've been down there the last few weeks with mates and had nothing but a great time. Not one fight or any trouble in sight and believe me we visited plenty of the bars/clubs

because they are old before their time;) Maybe they just don't like kids having a good time or feel they missed out when younger. It gets me when people talk about the place as being a run down trouble spot and yet they have never been there to see;) I know plenty of youngsters who party there and love it.

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 19:11
I know plenty of youngsters who party there and love it.I'd party there and love it if I had the chance! :o

carpenter
15-07-2012, 19:41

Oberon are you alright in the head?
In post #35 you have quoted myself and CIM very very selectively which I think is unfair! Also in the above quoted post you make Veronicas sound like Beirut and even if it were similar to the war torn Arabic city the police have a duty to respond.... that is their job.

Respect for police dwindling......... now it's in minus figures.

Car broken into early hours of morning, called police at 07.00, told to take car to Granadilla Guardia Civil, no forensics not even dusting for finger prints. Their investigation totaled opening my car door, and telling me to go to Guaza car boot sale on Sunday morning.
Yeah that's real police work.

And if your referring to community support workers. What do expect to happen when you put a blind bloke in charge of crime prevention? They are put in place as visual deterrents when public order offences were downgraded to save money. It hasn't worked!

Oberon
15-07-2012, 19:56
Yes the Veronicas is great fun, I' ve had some good times there myself.

All I am saying is that if you had been involved in policing it over the last 25 years ... just imagine .... you would not be in any hurry if things "kicked off".
I'm sure they have lots to do but ...... "oh here we go again - who wants to go and round up a load of drunken British brawlers .... again". I'm just saying that I doubt speedy response is a high priority there.

And there's nothing wrong with selective quoting if all the quotes selected say something I disagree with. Just as fair as questioning posters' sanity.

carpenter
15-07-2012, 19:58
And ladies, eye candy? Come on please. The only thing that I can think of that was successful and based entirely on looks was Baywatch. Is that really a sensible argument?

Yes the Veronicas is great fun, I' ve had some good times there myself.

All I am saying is that if you had been involved in policing it over the last 25 years ... just imagine .... you would not be in any hurry if things "kicked off".
I'm sure they have lots to do but ...... "oh here we go again - who wants to go and round up a load of drunken British brawlers .... again". I'm just saying that I doubt speedy response is a high priority there.

And there's nothing wrong with selective quoting if all the quotes selected say something I disagree with. Just as fair as questioning posters' sanity.

I question my own sanity

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:25
Oberon are you alright in the head?
In post #35 you have quoted myself and CIM very very selectively which I think is unfair! Also in the above quoted post you make Veronicas sound like Beirut and even if it were similar to the war torn Arabic city the police have a duty to respond.... that is their job.

Respect for police dwindling......... now it's in minus figures.

Car broken into early hours of morning, called police at 07.00, told to take car to Granadilla Guardia Civil, no forensics not even dusting for finger prints. Their investigation totaled opening my car door, and telling me to go to Guaza car boot sale on Sunday morning.
Yeah that's real police work.

And if your referring to community support workers. What do expect to happen when you put a blind bloke in charge of crime prevention? They are put in place as visual deterrents when public order offences were downgraded to save money. It hasn't worked!

OMG.... Have you thought about changing your name to Victory.....;O)

When the blind guy that I didnt personally put in power, was in power they were called "Specials" in this decade they are called community support officers.

How long has it been since you was in the UK? At least you got to a police officer. In the UK their hands are so tied now that they have to have their handcuffs taken of to use the loo never mind investigate crime.

carpenter
15-07-2012, 20:37
OMG.... Have you thought about changing your name to Victory.....;O)

When the blind guy that I didnt personally put in power, was in power they were called "Specials" in this decade they are called community support officers.

How long has it been since you was in the UK? At least you got to a police officer. In the UK their hands are so tied now that they have to have their handcuffs taken of to use the loo never mind investigate crime.

David Blunket was behind the PCSO's

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:40

OK Victor.......

slodgedad
15-07-2012, 20:41

I see what you mean.. Pity he didn't..:)

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:46
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/apr/12/david-blunkett-criticises-role-police-community

carpenter
16-07-2012, 08:16
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/apr/12/david-blunkett-criticises-role-police-community

What's your point?

woodchip68
16-07-2012, 09:30
What's your point?

You called them Blunkets Bobbies, he set the specials up to support the police, now they are being used as the Police.

You design and build a kitchen for a customer, a year later another chippy replaces the doors and worktop. Is it still the same kitchen that you designed?

By the way, when I finished my joinery apprenticeship, I then had time out of the trade and became a TO for the Solihull accident survey unit. I still have friends in the police and my company consults for the West Yorkshire Crime Division on intruder provention. We here about the real situation on a weekly basis.

carpenter
16-07-2012, 11:07
You called them Blunkets Bobbies, he set the specials up to support the police, now they are being used as the Police.

You design and build a kitchen for a customer, a year later another chippy replaces the doors and worktop. Is it still the same kitchen that you designed?

By the way, when I finished my joinery apprenticeship, I then had time out of the trade and became a TO for the Solihull accident survey unit. I still have friends in the police and my company consults for the West Yorkshire Crime Division on intruder provention. We here about the real situation on a weekly basis.

Why are we on about the British Bobby? That wasn't the question.

I don't care about the British police when I live here, nor do I care about British unemployment, immigration, drugs, politics, because, I'm not a resident, voter nor British tax payer. Should I ever move back then I'd care.

I live here which is why I asked the question that was relative to my current situation.

woodchip68
16-07-2012, 12:03
Why are we on about the British Bobby? That wasn't the question.

I don't care about the British police when I live here, nor do I care about British unemployment, immigration, drugs, politics, because, I'm not a resident, voter nor British tax payer. Should I ever move back then I'd care.

I live here which is why I asked the question that was relative to my current situation.

You completely missed my piont from my original post.

I was using the comparison to show that there is at least a police presence here.

The grass is not always greener. You moved away from the UK because you wanted a better life, so there was obviously things that you complained about there.

Yes, I was on topic with the comparison as your question was about respect. If they loose their will to do there job properly or cannot do thier job properly because of the red tape and abuse then you have to respect that they at least there.

They have been risking their life over the last 15 hrs. You have to respect them for that.

They deal with the abuse and danger in tourist pub areas. You have to respect them for that.

They are dealing with violent drug situations on a daily basis. You have to respect them for that.

The amount of things they have to do and deal with on a daily basis. You have to respect them for that.

The amount of greasy kitchens that you rip out. I have to respect you for doing that.

Now do you get my point?

carpenter
16-07-2012, 12:19
You completely missed my piont from my original post.

I was using the comparison to show that there is at least a police presence here.

The grass is not always greener. You moved away from the UK because you wanted a better life, so there was obviously things that you complained about there.

Yes, I was on topic with the comparison as your question was about respect. If they loose their will to do there job properly or cannot do thier job properly because of the red tape and abuse then you have to respect that they at least there.

They have been risking their life over the last 15 hrs. You have to respect them for that.

They deal with the abuse and danger in tourist pub areas. You have to respect them for that.

They are dealing with violent drug situations on a daily basis. You have to respect them for that.

The amount of things they have to do and deal with on a daily basis. You have to respect them for that.

The amount of greasy kitchens that you rip out. I have to respect you for doing that.

Now do you get my point?

It's so much easier to complain than to commend or appreciate that is true, everyone can be a Mr Meldrew and most revel in complaining including myself.

All your above points are valid no argument there.
For me it comes down to what they don't do more than what they do do.
Bit like women moaning at men.

I don't like their methods, attitude, role, corruption the list goes on.

I'm a firm believer in good honest policing and respect is earned not demanded. They have done a lot of damage to their reputation over the years and they show no signs of doing anything about it. If anything it's getting worse

YOUNG GOLFER
16-07-2012, 13:20
I think anyone doing a job such as a Policeman/woman deserves respect.

I know a few guys who are Police officers here and they are nice enough to me and my family.....I also know a few who are a little up their own backside and are on a power trip......but I tend not to bother with them.

I have seen first hand many times how the Police here can be heavy handed but with every right to be.....last year a young idiot threw a bottle at away football fans walking down the road a Police officer seen him do it and him and another officer grabbed him and gave him a good beating.

Now to me that's fine I don't feel sorry for someone like that.......I would of felt sorry for someone who had a bottle land on their head a child or a older fan now that would of been very sad.....one thing for sure I hope this idiot will think twice before doing it again.

Now this was swift justice no wasting tax payers money taking him to the police station and the courts.... he was dealt with the same way he wanted to dish it out by throwing a bottle.... (with violence).

The last game of the season lot's of idiots again were throwing bottles at the away fans mostly over 50yrs who came to this island to cheer on their team I felt really sorry for them having to take so much abuse more so when they clapped CDT at the end and wanted to wish us all the best...... in return bottles thrown at them children, old folk, women they were scared.

They stayed in the ground for around 45 mins and the Police did a great job making sure these few idiots from here did not get to close to them again as they walked out of the stadium to where ever they were going.
I and another friend waited outside and i asked a Police man if it was ok to swap scarfs this cop was fine i gave it to a old lady and a kiss and told her not all CDT fans are like this i wished her all the best and in this case (again)the Police were spot on.

You are always going to get a few bad apples in any bunch but living here for over 20yrs I think the Police do a great job and one we should respect nothing better than taking your kiddies to school knowing there are always two Police officers there every morning and afternoon it makes you and your children feel safe.

As for guns well that's what they do here in Spain along with other countries around the world it's something you get used to.

So again back to the question YES they should be respected....after all how many people on here would want their job it's not all fun and games.

Must add they are doing a great job right now trying to make sure everyone is safe with this fire going on.......but being a Police officer they won't get much thanks from too many people.:)

carpenter
16-07-2012, 14:32
I think anyone doing a job such as a Policeman/woman deserves respect.

I know a few guys who are Police officers here and they are nice enough to me and my family.....I also know a few who are a little up their own backside and are on a power trip......but I tend not to bother with them.

I have seen first hand many times how the Police here can be heavy handed but with every right to be.....last year a young idiot threw a bottle at away football fans walking down the road a Police officer seen him do it and him and another officer grabbed him and gave him a good beating.

Now to me that's fine I don't feel sorry for someone like that.......I would of felt sorry for someone who had a bottle land on their head a child or a older fan now that would of been very sad.....one thing for sure I hope this idiot will think twice before doing it again.

Now this was swift justice no wasting tax payers money taking him to the police station and the courts.... he was dealt with the same way he wanted to dish it out by throwing a bottle.... (with violence).

The last game of the season lot's of idiots again were throwing bottles at the away fans mostly over 50yrs who came to this island to cheer on their team I felt really sorry for them having to take so much abuse more so when they clapped CDT at the end and wanted to wish us all the best...... in return bottles thrown at them children, old folk, women they were scared.

They stayed in the ground for around 45 mins and the Police did a great job making sure these few idiots from here did not get to close to them again as they walked out of the stadium to where ever they were going.
I and another friend waited outside and i asked a Police man if it was ok to swap scarfs this cop was fine i gave it to a old lady and a kiss and told her not all CDT fans are like this i wished her all the best and in this case (again)the Police were spot on.

You are always going to get a few bad apples in any bunch but living here for over 20yrs I think the Police do a great job and one we should respect nothing better than taking your kiddies to school knowing there are always two Police officers there every morning and afternoon it makes you and your children feel safe.

As for guns well that's what they do here in Spain along with other countries around the world it's something you get used to.

So again back to the question YES they should be respected....after all how many people on here would want their job it's not all fun and games.

Must add they are doing a great job right now trying to make sure everyone is safe with this fire going on.......but being a Police officer they won't get much thanks from too many people.:)

Agreed, it sounds like these coppers have done a good job. A job nonetheless that is expected of them. The football club (I expect if it's the same as another country that keeps cropping up in this thread) contribute massively financially to the policing of football matches.
The police could have turned and run, turned a blind eye, waited for back up, waded in with truncheons swinging CS GAS spraying but they didn't. Also they could have arrested the hooligans that have brought the clubs name into disrepute.

As far as swift justice is concerned did you perhaps see the young man that threw the bottle get the same bottle thrown at him moments before? The swift action of the police may be pleasing to some, saving money, time and effort but do you think maybe that questions should be asked first.

I'm in complete favour of an eye for an eye. But remember the case of Derek Bentley "Let him have it" does that ring any bells?

I do not know what a great job they are doing at the moment as I have not witnessed nor heard anything but I can imagine that they must be very very tired by now and I wish them strength.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and I know that my opinion is probably unfair, judgmental, inaccurate among other things but I will never respect the police here! That's how I feel
They would have to possibly disarm, definitely stop the continuous road check points and start policing and caring about the single man before I could even speak of them without leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Apollo
16-07-2012, 15:20
My own view of the Spanish police IN GENERAL is not a good one.
Ok, yes they have been nice to me during a fiesta when I got locked out of my house and they tried to get me back in again....

BUT, there have been one too many cases of "heavy handedness" which just goes beyond a joke.
One case which springs instantly to mind is a friend of mine who, a couple of years ago, was driving along and flagged in at one of these checkpoints. The policeman looked into the car and then waved him on so he slowly pulled away again. A second checkpoint was a little way after and he was flagged in again....so in he pulled. In doing so the police opened his door, dragged him out and proceeded to beat the **** out of him whilst yelling at him that he was "Tonto" for not speaking fluent Spanish. He was told that he hadnt been told to drive off, even though he had been...but even so...does that really justify smashing in his eye socket that required hospital attention and stitches.

Not the first time I have heard of this sort of thing either. Frankly it sickens me and there is no justification for it, there is no "well that's a one off incident" because it isn't and if that is they way that they think you act as law enforcement officers then they have a lot of learning to do.

We are not in the century when this sort of thing should be happening!

Another example...oooh, I dont know, how about the shocking way they drive....using roundabouts incorrectly and then pulling people over for actually using them properly!!! Not EVER indicating and then sending you a €150 fine for doing the same thing!! The list of their appalling driving skills goes on...but it's ok...they can do what they like because "they are police".

Finally their uselessness when it comes to actually dealing with a crime. Our van break in for example. Call 112..."oh yes, take the van to Granadilla Guardia station...but try not to touch anything because they are going to take fingerprints"....errrr...ok, this could prove difficult......takes said van there and do they take fingerprints? No, of course not. In fact they did very little and it took us looking the van over to find the point of entry and driving back to the station to show the bloke.

Now, don't get me wrong, Im not saying that the UK police are good either. In fact, my view of them is pretty dim. Examples there being my late fiance who was stabbed to death AFTER having been threatened with his life in front of the police...who paid no attention to it. A couple of months after said event I saw a couple of police drinking tea/coffee in the street - the only 2 officers on duty for that area at that time- and I told them my displeasure at seeing them doing very little following with the example of what happened to my fiance - in other words they should get off their backsides and do some work....their response to me was "I dont give a monkeys about what happened to your fiance".....Nice....Smooth...Reeeeaaal smooth.

So no, I don't have a lot to say for the UK police...but I sure as hell can never say I "respect" the police here either. Respect needs to be earnt and by trying to instill fear into people all the time by throwing your weight about does not, in my opinion earn it.

YOUNG GOLFER
16-07-2012, 16:08
Agreed, it sounds like these coppers have done a good job. A job nonetheless that is expected of them. The football club (I expect if it's the same as another country that keeps cropping up in this thread) contribute massively financially to the policing of football matches.
The police could have turned and run, turned a blind eye, waited for back up, waded in with truncheons swinging CS GAS spraying but they didn't. Also they could have arrested the hooligans that have brought the clubs name into disrepute.

As far as swift justice is concerned did you perhaps see the young man that threw the bottle get the same bottle thrown at him moments before? The swift action of the police may be pleasing to some, saving money, time and effort but do you think maybe that questions should be asked first.

I'm in complete favour of an eye for an eye. But remember the case of Derek Bentley "Let him have it" does that ring any bells?

I do not know what a great job they are doing at the moment as I have not witnessed nor heard anything but I can imagine that they must be very very tired by now and I wish them strength.

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and I know that my opinion is probably unfair, judgmental, inaccurate among other things but I will never respect the police here! That's how I feel
They would have to possibly disarm, definitely stop the continuous road check points and start policing and caring about the single man before I could even speak of them without leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes i seen the guy throw the bottle he was stood right beside me in a doorway of a bar he threw it passed my ear never seen the lad before.

canirish
18-08-2012, 22:20
their country, tough ****, I know lots of old bill in tenerife, from local to the bad-ass national, i worked for the later. they dont care who you are. for years las americas was swarming with scum, from OPC'S to drug dealers and a lot of us been tarnished with that brush unfortunetly, I have also seen people who think they are tough guys, pissing their pants because they think they have rights, unless you know the legal system in tenerife and appreciate the fact that you are not like indians and pakistanis ( which really bugs me because they have hated each other for about a 1000 years) in the uk you have very different rights, the canarians had nothing until the mid-eighties, but to your point. ITS THEIR COUNTRY, THEY MIGHT ABUSE THEIR POWER FROM TIME TO TIME BUT YOU LIVE IN THEIR COUNTRY, THEIR ISLAND. they CAN be fair.....sometimes, take it on the chin...... i have many times

universal
20-08-2012, 12:24
V. Zaragoza, Benidorm
Benidorm Town Council will pay a bonus of between 240 and 276 euros per month to each local police to prevent absenteeism, according to the agreement reached with the unions on Tuesday. Absenteeism caused between January and September 10,000 days off, as this newspaper revealed Councilman Human Resources, Salvador Moll. From a staff of 280 police officers had turn they could not complete the five patrols usually serve in the street,?
Forgive the auto translation but you get the gist of it - it equates to each officer having an extra 4 days off per month
in addition to existing fiestas and holidays. Nice work if you can get it