PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a car from the U.K. to Tenerife

Greg
14-07-2012, 22:50
Has anyone ever had a car shipped door to door? Or shipped one in a container? I've just bought a new toy in the UK but I haven't really got the time to have a holiday and drive it over myself. It is going in my OH's name so I won't have the resident import problems (Been there before!) Any suggestions folks?

duracell290
14-07-2012, 23:33
If all else fails and you want someone to drive it over, I'd be interested. Check out the cost of both. PM me if interested.

Foz
15-07-2012, 09:53
Has anyone ever had a car shipped door to door? Or shipped one in a container? I've just bought a new toy in the UK but I haven't really got the time to have a holiday and drive it over myself. It is going in my OH's name so I won't have the resident import problems (Been there before!) Any suggestions folks?

If you do decide to have someone drive it over for you, my husband and I would love to do that! Hubby has a passion for cars and we've often talked about driving a beautiful car over from the Uk. If you do go that route, we have heard that it is much cheaper to ship it from Portugal, than Cadiz. We have no work commitments so are free to travel at any time and would take great care of your precious new toy. Pm me if you are even the slightest bit interested.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 11:01
If you are having the car driven over for import the first thing you need to do is contact a shipping agent in the UK to complete an HMRC form C88 (bifa dot com) they will ask you for your start and stop addresses and a copy of your log book. They then convert this to a T2LF European declaration certificate. This is for goods in transit, showing the final taxable destination.

2, Contact a Gestor like "Abona Gestión" in Granadilla (they speak English) and email your invoice and logbook for an import valuation. If you have not owned a +1yr empardromento you do not pay import tax on a car you have owned for over 6 months but you may have to pay 13% IGIC if you have not.

3, Let the gestor do the rest. Their fees are not high but the amount you pay can depend on the amount of fees they have to pay to sPAIN

4, With all the paper work you can carry including your insurance green card, logbook, T2LF, driving licence, passport, original invoice, MOT, tax disk displayed, empardromento, residencia and ferry tickets. Drive over.

5, On arrival at each port get your docs a checked and the T2LF stamped by customs or the Guardia.

6, You arrive in Tenerife. Drive off the ferry and through the gate onto the road.

7, You now have 6 months to register the car but sooner the better as I have heard of cars being confiscated because they have not matriculated the vehicle in time or the are not carrying the correct docs.

8, Go to the ITV in Las Chafiras as you will still need the vehical checked. Book an ITV and they will recommend a technician do the specs on the vehicle. Usually 100e.

9, Go to the ITV and have the vehicle checked.

10, Got back to the gestor with all the docs you have accumilated and they will register the vehicle on spanish plates.

11, Go to Auto Style in Las Chafiras and they will make and fit your new plates.

If you ship the car over it can be held in customes until the IGIC and customs charges are paid as they treat it as an import.

If you drive it over, you are treated as a visitor and not an import.

You need to do the math

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 14:22
If you are having the car driven over...

...If you drive it over, you are treated as a visitor and not an import.

You need to do the math

Great post :eek: :bowdown:

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 17:11
The Journey

1. You catch a Britany ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (23hrs) arrive 5pm
2. Santander to Santiago De Compostela (3hrs) arrive 9pm then hotel, Santiago De Compostela is fantastic.
3. Santiago De Compostela to Portimao via E1(ES) and IP1(P)toll road (9hrs) and 60 euros in tolls
4. Hotel
5. Midday Ferry from Portimao to Tenerife (43hrs) This trip is via Madeira, stop off for 6hrs. Get a taxi into town and get some food.
6. 7am arrive in Tenerife and relax. Also known as the quiet before the storm.

Dont try to drive through Spain to Cadiz as it will take you forever

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 17:33
The Journey

1. You catch a Britany ferry from Portsmouth to Santander (23hrs) arrive 5pm
2. Santander to Santiago De Compostela (3hrs) arrive 9pm then hotel, Santiago De Compostela is fantastic.
3. Santiago De Compostela to Portimao via E1(ES) and IP1(P)toll road (9hrs) and 60 euros in tolls
4. Hotel
5. Midday Ferry from Portimao to Tenerife (43hrs) This trip is via Madeira, stop off for 6hrs. Get a taxi into town and get some food.
6. 7am arrive in Tenerife and relax. Also known as the quiet before the storm.

I think you could also get the RMS St. Helena direct from Portland, UK to Tenerife ;)

http://rms-st-helena.com/

From their website :

Versatile facilities

The service is suitable for dry break-bulk, reefer, LCL, FCL (teu) and out-of-gauge consignments up to approximately 22 tonnes total weight.

Personal and household goods, vehicles and pets can be carried and the vessel offers air conditioned accommodation for people wishing to travel on board.

...wait... I can't see Tenerife on their schedules anymore... maybe they've cancelled it :(

ah wait... info here : http://rms-st-helena.com/2011/02/rms-back-in-portland-next-month/

Maybe worth a phone call to ask after all :)

david16
16-07-2012, 09:34
I didnt do my research. Shipped to Tenerife in container cost €3,000 then a customs bill for €1100 !!!!!!!!! Should have driven it

Tdm
16-07-2012, 13:30
The Journey

Totally disagree with above statement, have driven 2 cars over from the U.K. to Tenerife (admitedly in 2004 & 2005 when there was only the Cadiz Ferry), and the drive down Spain to Cadiz was a joy, very little traffic and great roads (Autovias). On second occassion only one night stop (near Sevilla) needed, although could have done the whole 650 miles from Santander to Cadiz in a day easily. Didn't have to drive fast, and made stops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

david16
16-07-2012, 15:09
I have done the Tenerife to Santander trip via Portimao. Very pleasant trip and found the Motorways and service stations in Portugal far superior to those in Spain. Also the Portimao ferry is half the price of the Cadiz Ferry unless you apply the residents discount which makes them about the same. Wouldnt want to attempt the trip in a day took a break at Salamanca but Northern Spain had heavy snow and had snow ploughs on the motorways as it was December.

nath
16-07-2012, 15:16
We have recently driven a car over from Holland. The ferry from Portugal was not active (or so we were told) and took the ferry from Huelva. It is about 35hrs and it is a new ferry. No problems at all, nice clean ferry. I heard horror stories about the one from Cadiz (which also takes longer). Further we had the paperwork done in Mainland Spain which saved us a LOT of money. If you want more details or have questions please pm me!!

Greg
16-07-2012, 19:39
Thanks to all of you for your replies and Pms, I did the drive from Calais last year stopping in Biaritz, Seville and Huelva. I really enjoyed the journey and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had the time. I may take one of you up on your kind offer to drive my toy over for me if shipping rates don't compare. The best rate I have had so far is £800 from OH's house in Worcestershire delivered to Faro, Portugal. I'm not sure that given petrol prices at the moment that it would be any cheaper to drive. The portamao ferry isn't running at the moment and the Huelva one is only showing seats available and not cabins and I don't think anyone should have to do that crossing without a cabin. i wouldn't! I'll keep you all posted and thanks again for the help and info.

woodchip68
16-07-2012, 19:47
Totally disagree with above statement, have driven 2 cars over from the U.K. to Tenerife (admitedly in 2004 & 2005 when there was only the Cadiz Ferry), and the drive down Spain to Cadiz was a joy, very little traffic and great roads (Autovias). On second occassion only one night stop (near Sevilla) needed, although could have done the whole 650 miles from Santander to Cadiz in a day easily. Didn't have to drive fast, and made stops for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
2009 Santander to Cadiz x 2

2010 Santander to Portimao x3

2011 Santander to Portimao x2
2011 Santander to Cadiz x 1

2012 Santander to Portimao x1

Grandmother sucking eggs springs to mind

atlantico
16-07-2012, 19:57
my car ( Range Rover) cost £650 on a roll-on roll-off ship from Southampton to Santa Cruz, taking 8 days, then a month later it was ITV'd, all taxes paid , (€1,200) - job done ! I used http://www.eliteshipping.co.uk and Mercedes from mend-it Autos in Guargacho near Silencio (€250) to do all the import, taxation and ITV work

universal
17-07-2012, 14:10
Unfortunately the roll on-roll off service operated by Suar Diaz Shipping (out of Southampton) was stopped some time back, and more recently the R.M.S. St Helena has only been operating the southern supply route and no longer runs to England.
Other than driving the only option is containerized sea freight.

kiwiphil
02-08-2012, 13:49
Hi,

Sorry, but driving across Spain is REALLY easy, possibly easier than getting to Portomao. I've done it 3 times and it only took 12 hours with a big slow motorhome. In a car cruising at 130km on the motorways its more like 10 hours. Its motorway all the way. Happy to provide the route if you are interested.

But if you go on the ferry from Cadiz, take some food with you - meals are included on the boat but they are pretty terrible.

Cheers, Phil

Greg
02-08-2012, 15:09
I decided to drive down myself. I set off Tuesday from Worcestershire for a leisurely drive intending to end up in Huelva on Friday night in plenty of time for the Saturday ferry. I got a little carried away and didn't stop (apart for fuel!) until I hit Madrid about 20 hours later. I had a brief nap under a tree in a field and carried on to Seville. I arrived yesterday evening and I'm stopping here mooching and shopping until tomorrow when I'll do the last 70Kms to Huelva and a bit of a night out before I get on the boring ferry. Its an easy drive and with virtually no traffic. However, without a TomTom I'd hate to think how many speeding fines would be waiting in my post box when I got home!
It's a boys with our toys thing! :convertible:

timmylish
03-08-2012, 02:03
Hey there Greg. Have a great time on your last bit over here. Oh how I envy you all. I drove Glasgow - Cadiz via Dover so many times years ago. Only thing was I took it as my holidays with the kids. Range Rovers were the very, very best but the couple of times I Merc'd were also enjoyable, to say the least.
Anyway, take care.

nath
03-08-2012, 10:45
I decided to drive down myself. I set off Tuesday from Worcestershire for a leisurely drive intending to end up in Huelva on Friday night in plenty of time for the Saturday ferry. I got a little carried away and didn't stop (apart for fuel!) until I hit Madrid about 20 hours later. I had a brief nap under a tree in a field and carried on to Seville. I arrived yesterday evening and I'm stopping here mooching and shopping until tomorrow when I'll do the last 70Kms to Huelva and a bit of a night out before I get on the boring ferry. Its an easy drive and with virtually no traffic. However, without a TomTom I'd hate to think how many speeding fines would be waiting in my post box when I got home!
It's a boys with our toys thing! :convertible:

On our drive over we noticed at least 3 times a camera on the side of the road in France (none in Spain). This was back in January and we never received any of the fines so hopefully you are okay!!! And yes do try to find some food to take along indeed it is not all that nice!

Marius Titulesc
09-11-2018, 08:16
In hindsight, would you recommend driving a car yourself or getting in touch with a cargo shipping (https://www.cargolution.com/en/transport/) company?