PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! How much? Fights to Tenerife are extortionate!

minimadmandy
15-07-2012, 10:51
Just looked online for flights in October half term and for 3 adults and 1 child Easyjet want £2,564 and Monarch £2,303. Ouch. Looks like it might be Cyprus instead then. :-( Why on earth is the October half term so expensive compared to Easter, Christmas and Feb half term? I am so looking forward to the time when we are not tied to school holidays, feels like families are subsidising everyone else's cheap flights!

garlicbread
15-07-2012, 11:10
Just looked online for flights in October half term and for 3 adults and 1 child Easyjet want £2,564 and Monarch £2,303. Ouch. Looks like it might be Cyprus instead then. :-( Why on earth is the October half term so expensive compared to Easter, Christmas and Feb half term? I am so looking forward to the time when we are not tied to school holidays, feels like families are subsidising everyone else's cheap flights!

spot on........

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 11:39
Pay the fine! :eek:

golf birdie
15-07-2012, 11:41
its getting to the stage where you will have to post yourself to be able to afford to come......

minimadmandy
15-07-2012, 13:14
Pay the fine! :eek:

Very tempting to do that sometimes but older child at an important age in education and can't afford to miss anything.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Or hubby and I come out the week before and let the kids make their own way over:lol:

Susief
15-07-2012, 13:46
Have you tried looking on www.skyscanner.net and do them as one way, I.e go with one airline out and another back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed3229
15-07-2012, 13:52
Off to Athens to see daughter and new baby....Last week in August £490 return....first week September £190 return.
Not just Tenerife !!!! September it is then....:raspberry2:

Angusjim
15-07-2012, 14:21

And on behlf of the impoverished old farts :old:who travel out with holiday times may I say thank you, but we did pay into this sytem when our kids were growing up so its now pay back :)

BobMac
15-07-2012, 15:09

We looked at October half term for 4 adults and the prices were bloody ridiculous, we have booked to go to the Algarve instead - 4 adults staying in a 4* hotel with flights was cheaper than the flights only to Tenerife.

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 16:26
We looked at October half term for 4 adults and the prices were bloody ridiculous, we have booked to go to the Algarve instead - 4 adults staying in a 4* hotel with flights was cheaper than the flights only to Tenerife.That's disturbing. The tourism board really need to address that. :eek:

LeFrunk
15-07-2012, 19:38
I had 14yrs of paying the high prices now i go whenever suits me and when the prices are low . Just to add to the price of the fares , i checked yesterday for 1ad & 1ch return from Belfast £750 and from Dublin e720 , i thought there was a recession too .

BobMac
15-07-2012, 20:04
That's disturbing. The tourism board really need to address that. :eek:

Tell us about it. We'd rather be coming to Tenerife but we are stuck with having to come during School holidays which makes it completely unrealistic with the prices as they are.

When we were out at Easter, the price of our flights in the School holidays for 4 adults was just over £1000, in October half term it was just short of £2000.

Rickiebear
15-07-2012, 20:26
Hi, we found that school holidays varied in the north and south of UK. So look at a northern airport, such as East Midlands, just up the M1.

minimadmandy
17-07-2012, 08:15
Have you tried looking on www.skyscanner.net and do them as one way, I.e go with one airline out and another back?

I have done that in the past but October flights even more expensive with the other airlines!

And on behlf of the impoverished old farts :old:who travel out with holiday times may I say thank you, but we did pay into this sytem when our kids were growing up so its now pay back :)

Trouble with such extortionate prices it means we just don't come anymore. We have booked flights for Christmas and Easter next year, but prices for these holidays was a lot cheaper.

Eventually what will happen is no families will come anymore in the holidays, so all flight prices will go up even more. Just wondering why October is so expensive compared to all the other holidays, even July and August are a lot cheaper.

We were quite happy having to pay £250 each for school holidays, accepting that airlines like to cash in, however the current price for October is ridiculous.

Hi, we found that school holidays varied in the north and south of UK. So look at a northern airport, such as East Midlands, just up the M1.

In the past we have looked at other airports and Flying from Gatwick seems the most expensive, but airlines also put up prices 3-4 days either end of the school holiday week meaning we can't even go a bit earlier to avoid price hikes. A few years ago our Easter hols were out of sync with the rest of the UK which meant cheaper holidays, unfortunately we were booked to go to Lincolnshire in our caravan!

davship
17-07-2012, 09:04

All comes down to supply and demand i'm afraid. Because (as mimimadmandy says and i know this might be contrivesial ) most of us value our childrens education above holidays. So the airlines know when the holidays are and they hike up the price! even though the airplanes dont cost any more to run then i.e fuel is same price and i am sure the stewards and stewardesses dont get paid extra for working then.

I await commnets.

honda
17-07-2012, 09:49
A friend of mine has booked for St. Lucia. He tells me it was cheaper than the same package for Tenerife.

TOTO 99
17-07-2012, 09:54
The one that I don't understand is how can a flight to Cyprus ( as in the OP ) be cheaper than Tenerife?
Same planes, fuel, staff, flight time etc. Doesn't make sense...???

primrose
17-07-2012, 10:11
The one that I don't understand is how can a flight to Cyprus ( as in the OP ) be cheaper than Tenerife?

The biggest mystery to me is how can an AI holiday for 2 adults and 1 child be cheaper than flight only,they are coming on the same flights with all food and drink included at a 4star Hotel for 40 Pounds less than flight only.No wonder so many are going AI.

Angusjim
17-07-2012, 11:18

Flight may be cheaper but I heard the cost of food & drink etc is VERY high compared to Spain / Tenerife etc

Marianne
17-07-2012, 13:19

LOL yes - and we didn't go abroad on holiday in those days either! :)

minimadmandy
17-07-2012, 16:03
All comes down to supply and demand i'm afraid. Because (as mimimadmandy says and i know this might be contrivesial ) most of us value our childrens education above holidays. So the airlines know when the holidays are and they hike up the price! even though the airplanes dont cost any more to run then i.e fuel is same price and i am sure the stewards and stewardesses dont get paid extra for working then.

I await commnets.

Also airlines hike prices on popular flights as soon as they get lots of bookings. A couple of years ago hubby worked for First Choice and a flight to Florida I was trying to book was suddenly £150 dearer each! He looked into it at work and found out they add on the supplement when they realise the flight is a very popular one to get more money (I didn't book!).

tfs1
17-07-2012, 20:22
We got lucky.

Booked outbound fliights for the family and grandkids for Oct/Nov halfterm wiith Ryanair from Leeds Bradford but no returns available at that time.

But saw Easyjets winter schedule as it was published online for the return to the UK and managged to get 4 adults and 5 kids back on Saturday 3 November to Manchester for € 800.

Since then the return alone has reached €3,200 for the nine of them.

green1960
24-07-2012, 18:07
We used to go to Tenerife at February half term every year, and we used to book with Easyjet on the day they went on sale. That was the only way we could get them at a reasonable price.

Susief
24-07-2012, 19:00
A work colleague has just bought flights for end Sept to Lanzarote and has paid £300 each return! I thought Tenerife was expensive, maybe not, same dates to Tenerife £200 return!

warbey
24-07-2012, 20:17

Dont forget Landing fees. I understand the Spanish Government has just upped them..

and Our Government has Taxed some more too...

Talkabout killing the Goose..!!!

WELSH CLASSIC
24-07-2012, 20:44
Looked for flights from Cardiff last friday and thought£380 without luggage was dear, tried Gatwick they came back at £650 each.Going to ROMAIN HERE.

cheery
26-07-2012, 15:47
I have been looking on several sites, F/O for the beginning of October. First option 2/10 -9/10 was £609 inc bags. Second option 9/10-16/10 £491 inc bags. That is 2 good meals out when we get there saved. A big difference for only a week and no school holiday involved with either date.

murph
26-07-2012, 17:12
I have found I have to use two comparison sites www.skyscanner.net (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-5505831-10644826) - www.airflights.co.uk and RyanAir itself to see all the deals.

Jackalina
26-07-2012, 17:14
Two flights from Glasgow Ryanair for 26 August were 309.50 booked on 2nd July and I thought that was dear.

Balcony
26-07-2012, 17:49
School holiday times has always produced higher fares. We're coming for Christmas and paying over £500 each. They're in the 'Gotcha' category.

golf birdie
26-07-2012, 18:03
School holiday times has always produced higher fares. We're coming for Christmas and paying over £500 each. They're in the 'Gotcha' category.

on the bright side, by the holiday makers coming out at these times and paying silly prices it enables me to fly back dirt cheap:laugh:

warbey
26-07-2012, 20:08
There is a Protest Letter circulating at present, asking Your Local M.P. to look into the Highest Taxation in Europe for Air Travel..

Its not all the Companies or Airlines.

theslaters
26-07-2012, 21:08
I can see what you are saying but a package now would be cheaper last min holiday,We as a family of 5 alway try to book as soon as the flights are out squeezy Jet from Gatwick oct Half term £600 all in (we are not coming back till the Wed.after half term) not for price just wanted longer holiday.Must be over 2000 grand now but then we would not be comming if that was the price.
I have just checked summer flights with easyjet all i can say is good luck Tenerife from £171 each way to a superdooooper jawdropping £497 plus admin and bags sounds like Florida money to me .....

minimadmandy
31-07-2012, 17:45
Have just booked myself and 5 friends on flights to Tenerife for the May/June half term and we have paid £353 each, which is kind of what I expected to pay now with prices going up every year, but I still think the October prices are obscene!

Hoping I might get a free flight next year after saving up my points with Monarch, but I bet you can't use Them on flights in the school holidays!

DOREEN QUINN
01-08-2012, 12:59
Going to a family wedding this weekend in Newcastle - fri till tues €585 return for 4 days!
Going via barcelona with ryanair €24 and 2 hours later Easyjet from Barcelona into Newcastle €100. OK a longer trip but half the price!!!

jack oakley
01-08-2012, 14:19
Hoping I might get a free flight next year after saving up my points with Monarch, but I bet you can't use Them on flights in the school holidays![/QUOTE]

You are right you can't use them during school holidays or at xmas, nor can you use them on any flight at all if it's already half booked, also the free flight is NOT free because you have to pay the taxes. Last time i tried to get a "free" flight i chose to use the Tenerife to Manchester leg, (i only had enough points for a one-way) because the taxes are (or should be ) cheaper than the Manchester to Tenerife leg, BUT THEY ARE NOT. The Manchester to Tenerife leg was £70-00 plus £39-00 taxes, the Tenerife to Manchester leg was 90 euros plus "advertised" taxes of 18euros so i chose to use my "free" flight for that leg. When i tried to make the booking i was told the taxable portion of my "free" flight was FORTY FIVE euros !, when i questioned the operative telling her that the advertised taxes were 18euros she said that Monarch's pricing policy was to charge the highest tax rate for a one-way "free" flight outbound or inbound. Monarch have become worse than Ryan Air recently, for 'hoodwinking' prices and the abhorrant £39-00 charge for a suitcase is extortionate making a mockery of their latest television advert which visualy features heavily on the packing of suitcases. Come on Monarch stop the "Bull" and just give us the bottom line. jack.O

karinagal
01-08-2012, 15:08
Ryanair's free flights are the same - I worked out that the cheapest 'free' return flight would cost @£75.00.......!!!

The undisputed queen of de-nial

primrose
01-08-2012, 15:48
Have just booked myself and 5 friends on flights to Tenerife for the May/June half term and we have paid £353 each, which is kind of what I expected to pay now with prices going up every year, but I still think the October prices are obscene!

Hoping I might get a free flight next year after saving up my points with Monarch, but I bet you can't use Them on flights in the school holidays!

Have just booked flights for 3 people Manchester to Tenerife for the 17th October with 20 Kilos of luggage each 232Pounds, 77 pounds each including luggage think that's a bargain compared to some of the prices being quoted on here.

Delilah
03-08-2012, 10:14
I booked flights for 2 adults flying out from Bristol on 26th October and returning on 9th November for £541.96 total including 15kg luggage. I didn`t think that was too bad as it is the half term week beginning on the 26th! That was through Thomsons, however flights from Cardiff on the same dates were £120 more expensive!

BobMac
03-08-2012, 10:30
I booked flights for 2 adults flying out from Bristol on 26th October and returning on 9th November for £541.96 total including 15kg luggage. I didn`t think that was too bad as it is the half term week beginning on the 26th! That was through Thomsons, however flights from Cardiff on the same dates were £120 more expensive!

That's because you are flying back after the Half Term holiday ends on 5th November.

From Gatwick with EasyJet the same dates are £348.98 + luggage, Etc; if you restrict it to the Half term holiday - Friday to Friday the fare is £452.98 + Luggage, etc; Saturday to Saturday the fare is £572.98 + Luggage, Etc; Sunday to Sunday the fare is £452.98 + luggage, Etc.

It's a killer if you are tied to having to fly within the confines of the half term week,

If you look at the fares by date, leading up to the half term holiday, they start to increase from Wednesday 24th October and then start to decrease again after Sunday 5th November.

Susief
04-08-2012, 13:39
Last night booked 2 flights from Man to TFS for beginning Oct.
Flights were £25.47 no tax, with the check in, cc fee, reserved seating came to £49.99 each. Well pleased.
Just need a cheap flight coming back 2 weeks later.