PDA

View Full Version : Is a paper UK driving licence valid in Tenerife?

Andy777
15-07-2012, 15:00
Hi all, Is my old paper licence (pink duplicate) ok in Tenerife?

I haven`t converted to the new 2 part one as not needed unless making changes to it.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 15:03
Yes my dad has been using his green one, thats the one before the green and pink paper. He says he too old to be bothered

Suej
15-07-2012, 15:06
For how long it will take and the cost I would change it to the new style licence I feel it would be an advantage as it has your picture on it for photo ID otherwise you might be asked for your passport! not a good idea carrying that around all the time really! I don't even know whether the old paper licence is accepted here! I'm sure someone on here can give you the answer to that one!:)

Andy777
15-07-2012, 15:13
Well the reason for not getting 2 part is you have to renew every 10 years and pay!
So waste of money if I don`t have to! I would rather carry passport as well.

But I am sure someone will know for sure.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 15:29
If you are looking to hire a car. My dad used to hire cars when he first got here until he bought one. He hired on a couple of weeks ago when his car was in the garage. So if he's using the old old licence, you really shouldnt have a problem.
I never carry mine and the Guardia usually pull me over to look at my insurance. I think they really pull me over to look at my car.:spin:

Tom & Sharon
15-07-2012, 15:37
I was driving round on my old green paper licence until about 12 months ago. I was stopped many times by the Guardia with it, and they never bothered it wasn't the new style.

Andy777
15-07-2012, 15:43
OK Thanks very much, I shall use old one then!:D

Would I need to carry photo ID as well?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

UK DRIVING LICENCE IN TENERIFE

There has been a bit of confusion about whether or not UK residents can drive in Tenerife if they only hold a paper licence. Spanish law does not require that anyone wishing to drive on the island has to have a new plastic licence. However drivers who do hold paper licences must have these 'inscripted'.

Anyone who relocates to the island permanently must inform the DVLA that they have done so because they are not allowed to register a British licence with a foreign address. Anyone who lives in Tenerife for longer than 6 months does have a choice of two things they have to do in order to remain legal both under Spanish law and British law.

What does this mean???

Suej
15-07-2012, 15:54
I was driving round on my old green paper licence until about 12 months ago. I was stopped many times by the Guardia with it, and they never bothered it wasn't the new style.

Just interested to know if you were ever asked for photo ID on any of the occasions that you got stopped? surely you could be driving on anyone's licence then??? Did you have a residencia card on you at the time with a photo on it! As we are discovering on another thread the Police can be a bit monkey when they want to be awkward!

OH just reminded me! a few years ago now but a friend's car got towed away to the pound as it was parked illegally in El Camison! he had to provide photo ID he had an old paper licence but still had to get a taxi home to get his passport before they would release the car. It's getting a bit confusing and might have just have been a case of a jobsworth Police officer. :dontknow:

judetenerife
15-07-2012, 16:00
the green and pink paper licenses are valid in TF but should have them inscribed at traficio. this also applies to the new versions. to inscribe the license you need to go to traffico with your passport, nie green paper, license, valid within 3 months empadriemento which matches your nie green paper address and the driving medical. the medical is only done at registered centres - there is one in the valdes centre los cris - and is bout 50€ for a standard license. the traficio fee is bout 8€. inscription is renewable every 10 years the same as a spanish license. without inscription your license is in theory invalid in tenerife. depending on why the police stop you / who the policeman is is whether you get into trouble. i have recently re-inscribed mine.

Tom & Sharon
15-07-2012, 16:00
Just interested to know if you were ever asked for photo ID on any of the occasions that you got stopped? surely you could be driving on anyone's licence then??? Did you have a residencia card on you at the time with a photo on it! As we are discovering on another thread the Police can be a bit monkey when they want to be awkward!

I always carry my passport with me as well. Actually I don't think the Guardia had a clue what they were looking at. It was falling apart, had a bit of it missing, and they still never bothered!

the green and pink paper licenses are valid in TF but should have them inscribed at traficio. this also applies to the new versions. to inscribe the license you need to go to traffico with your passport, nie green paper, license, valid within 3 months empadriemento which matches your nie green paper address and the driving medical. the medical is only done at registered centres - there is one in the valdes centre los cris - and is bout 50€ for a standard license. the traficio fee is bout 8€. inscription is renewable every 10 years the same as a spanish license. without inscription your license is in theory invalid in tenerife. depending on why the police stop you / who the policeman is is whether you get into trouble. i have recently re-inscribed mine.

How could it be invalid in Tenerife? All tourists drive on one ???

Suej
15-07-2012, 16:05

Tourists won't have NIE numbers!

judetenerife
15-07-2012, 16:06
its invalid because you are a resident and the owner of the vehicle. it is not invalid if you are on holiday (ie short period) and in a hire vehicle

tourists arent residents with their own vehicles

Suej
15-07-2012, 16:13
its invalid because you are a resident and the owner of the vehicle. it is not invalid if you are on holiday (ie short period) and in a hire vehicle

I think the OP is asking for information as a Tourist! :)

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 16:35
But I am sure someone will know for sure. Goldenmaniac will know the exact laws regarding this :)

judetenerife
15-07-2012, 17:08
my mistake if the op is referring to holiday driving :spin:

Tom & Sharon
15-07-2012, 17:10

They will if they are on holiday from the mainland. When my mum and dad are here, they are tourists. They have NIE's though, because they own a property on the mainland.

That just can't be true. Several of our neighbours here, don't live here, they just have their apartments as second homes. They have bought brand new cars which they keep here to use when they are on holiday. They're not resident, but have NIE's and own their own car. Which category do they fall into? By your argument this could mean their driving licences are invalid?

I'm sorry, but I think a lot of rubbish is talked about driving licences here.

Suej
15-07-2012, 17:36
]They will if they are on holiday from the mainland. When my mum and dad are here, they are tourists. They have NIE's though, because they own a property on the mainland.
[/B]

That just can't be true. Several of our neighbours here, don't live here, they just have their apartments as second homes. They have bought brand new cars which they keep here to use when they are on holiday. They're not resident, but have NIE's and own their own car. Which category do they fall into? By your argument this could mean their driving licences are invalid?

I'm sorry, but I think a lot of rubbish is talked about driving licences here.

Yes I understand this! Anyone from anywhere who owns property will have an NIE but someone just coming on holiday who wants to hire a car won't! I think the OP falls into this category.:)

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 17:41
OMG Andy777 look what you've started:twak:

Tom & Sharon
15-07-2012, 17:43
Yes I understand this! Anyone from anywhere who owns property will have an NIE but someone just coming on holiday who wants to hire a car won't! I think the OP falls into this category.:)

I agree Sue. But there's still some rubbish being talked about driving licences in general!

Suej
15-07-2012, 18:15
Well the reason for not getting 2 part is you have to renew every 10 years and pay!
So waste of money if I don`t have to! I would rather carry passport as well.

But I am sure someone will know for sure.

Sorry Andy as I might sound a bit "over cautious!" but I think it is better to keep your passport safely locked away during your visit! the hassle and expense of getting a replacement if you should lose it is really not worth it! most of the requests that are made at the British Consulate from holidaymakers are emergency replacements of lost or stolen passports, these are extremely expensive and are only valid to get you home! Also think of the possible additional costs of having to pay again for any missed return flight! Worse case scenario I know but it does happen...A lot! it's only my opinion.

Andy777
15-07-2012, 18:16
OMG Andy777 look what you've started:twak:

I know! Ha ha ooops!

It is just a few days rental while on holiday, I was just being cautious as it would ruin holiday if I couldn`t do a few miles discovering
places.

cainaries
15-07-2012, 19:18
It so happens I was pulled over by the Guardia yesterday (along with a lot of other people, I would like to add). He asked for my driving licence and I handed over my pink one. He asked if I was resident here and I said yes. I then proffered my passport. All was accepted and returned very politely and he said OK, you can go, and then he noticed the dog. We got a telling off for not having the dog secured. We would secure her if we could work out how to do it.

I have a local friend who drives on his pink British driving licence which he got years ago when living in the UK. He has pointed out that it is perfectly legal to be resident in more than one country at once so he has worked on the basis that he can drive here on his British licence.

As for the OP, I would just like to add to your confusion by telling you that my Spanish teacher is ADAMANT that you must carry photo id with you at all times in Spain. It was because of her lecturing me on this that I had my passport with me yesterday. Unless the copy you carry is certified, it isn't acceptable.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 19:38
I really need to ask. What is an OP? :dontknow:

junglejim
15-07-2012, 19:58
original poster

slodgedad
15-07-2012, 19:58

Original Poster..ie, the thread starter

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:02
Oh!!! Simple really, and there me thinking of all sorts of things that could'nt be put on here .... how rude. :whistle:

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 20:03
...then he noticed the dog. We got a telling off for not having the dog secured. We would secure her if we could work out how to do it.

You need one of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAT-BELT-HARNESS-Designed-small/dp/B005LBMWMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342378937&sr=8-2

OP = Original Poster. The person that started the thread. :)

slodgedad
15-07-2012, 20:04
I have used my 'green' licence for years but had it authenticated at Trafico for around 25 euros.

It's good til I'm 75.

My wife, who has a fancy one, which needs replacing every few years opted for a Spanish one (which still needs renewing every 5 years)

I'm glad I stuck with my scrap of tatty green paper.

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:04
OP = Original Poster. The person that started the thread. Oh Kirsty your too slow....

Suej
15-07-2012, 20:08
Oh!!! Simple really, and there me thinking of all sorts of things that could'nt be put on here .... how rude. :whistle:

Ha Ha! when I first joined here I thought OP stood for Old Person!!! come to think of it...........:laugh:

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:10
Ha Ha! when I first joined here I thought OP stood for Old Person!!! come to think of it...........:laugh:

OOHHHH!!!!! my thoughts were much worse than that....:ashamed:

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 20:34
OOHHHH!!!!! my thoughts were much worse than that....:ashamed:'Orrible Pervert?

woodchip68
15-07-2012, 20:38
'Orrible Pervert?
Oh much worse
:lol:

cainaries
15-07-2012, 22:20
I have used my 'green' licence for years but had it authenticated at Trafico for around 25 euros.

It's good til I'm 75.

My wife, who has a fancy one, which needs replacing every few years opted for a Spanish one (which still needs renewing every 5 years)

I'm glad I stuck with my scrap of tatty green paper.

Slodgedad, that's very interesting. Doesn't your green UK licence expire when you're 70? How can trafico extend that until you're 75?

We are definitely Old People (OPs) and would be very interested to know how you managed this. Thanks!

You need one of these :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAT-BELT-HARNESS-Designed-small/dp/B005LBMWMC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342378937&sr=8-2

OP = Original Poster. The person that started the thread. :)

Thanks for the link, KJ, and that is exactly what we need but they don't ship to here and nor do any of the others, it seems. So blinkin irritatin'. At least we know what we need even if we can't get it.

KirstyJay
15-07-2012, 22:35
Thanks for the link, KJ, and that is exactly what we need but they don't ship to here and nor do any of the others, it seems. So blinkin irritatin'. At least we know what we need even if we can't get it.You can get them here too, I'm just not sure where. I posted the link so that you'd know what is the legal way of restraining your dog in the car.

Ask at a pet shop where you can get hold of a 'cinta de perros'

cainaries
15-07-2012, 22:40
You can get them here too, I'm just not sure where. I posted the link so that you'd know what is the legal way of restraining your dog in the car.

Ask at a pet shop where you can get hold of a 'cinta de perros'

KJ I'm much more worried about the fire on Tenerife. We had a truly awful fire here on La Palma 2 years ago and every time I hear one of those helicopters I start to worry.

thanks so much for the advice. When I asked at the vet's about the harness he told me to ask the Guardia what I needed to get that would meet their requirements. Might be easy for him but I find them rather intimidating. Just emailed a friend who will be over in 2 weeks to see if she can get me one. Not many pet shops here! Places which sell 'piensos' but when we've asked for a cinta de seguridad de perros they've looked very blank.

Am so off topic now! Sorry!

slodgedad
15-07-2012, 23:37
Slodgedad, that's very interesting. Doesn't your green UK licence expire when you're 70? How can trafico extend that until you're 75?

We are definitely Old People (OPs) and would be very interested to know how you managed this. Thanks!

Sorry, meant 70.....

timmylish
15-07-2012, 23:54
I carry both types of UK driving licences and produce whichever falls out of my wallet first and my first opinion of the Officer. Neither have been endorsed by Traffico!. Probably more by luck than anything else but the guys in green are more interested in the Insurance papers (which I agree with tbh).
On the doggie problem I just use their existing, harness, leads and attach to the rear seat belts. Although they are both Yorkies they cannot get out and certainly cannot get onto the front seats so all seems well.

cainaries
16-07-2012, 10:45
I carry both types of UK driving licences and produce whichever falls out of my wallet first and my first opinion of the Officer. Neither have been endorsed by Traffico!. Probably more by luck than anything else but the guys in green are more interested in the Insurance papers (which I agree with tbh).
On the doggie problem I just use their existing, harness, leads and attach to the rear seat belts. Although they are both Yorkies they cannot get out and certainly cannot get onto the front seats so all seems well.

Thanks, Timmylish, we'll do that as a stopgap measure at least.

Goldenmaniac
19-07-2012, 16:07
Hi all, Is my old paper licence (pink duplicate) ok in Tenerife?

I haven`t converted to the new 2 part one as not needed unless making changes to it.

I know! Ha ha ooops!

It is just a few days rental while on holiday, I was just being cautious as it would ruin holiday if I couldn`t do a few miles discovering
places.

Goldenmaniac will know the exact laws regarding this :)

Sorry this is a bit late didn't spot it until now:
regards a visitor - theoretically your valid Uk Licence (whichever format) plus passport are fine http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DG_10023103
and http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022084

HOWEVER you may experience some difficulties at hire car outlets so check before booking

re UK licences and people who live here see this link http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#Spanishdrivinglicence

cainaries
19-07-2012, 23:13
Andy777....not covered by anything above. Make sure your credit card address is the same as the address on your driving licence - otherwise you won't be able to hire anything.

Have a lovely holiday.

Andy777
12-08-2012, 10:23
HOWEVER you may experience some difficulties at hire car outlets so check before booking

Does anyone know if I will have problem with the car hire place in santiago? next to optica lucia?

was thinking of trying there first as our hotel is just behind it...

Suej
12-08-2012, 13:04

Does anyone know if I will have problem with the car hire place in santiago? next to optica lucia?

was thinking of trying there first as our hotel is just behind it...

Give them a call and ask if you don't get a definite reply!

MarionEd
12-08-2012, 19:12
I certainly dont have any problems with Orcar with my green paper licence. Hired from them many times.

Andy777
16-09-2012, 12:20
Should be ok then thanks.

DonnaFranka
20-09-2012, 23:21
It so happens I was pulled over by the Guardia yesterday (along with a lot of other people, I would like to add). He asked for my driving licence and I handed over my pink one. He asked if I was resident here and I said yes. I then proffered my passport. All was accepted and returned very politely and he said OK, you can go, and then he noticed the dog. We got a telling off for not having the dog secured. We would secure her if we could work out how to do it.

I have a local friend who drives on his pink British driving licence which he got years ago when living in the UK. He has pointed out that it is perfectly legal to be resident in more than one country at once so he has worked on the basis that he can drive here on his British licence.

As for the OP, I would just like to add to your confusion by telling you that my Spanish teacher is ADAMANT that you must carry photo id with you at all times in Spain. It was because of her lecturing me on this that I had my passport with me yesterday. Unless the copy you carry is certified, it isn't acceptable.

Is there anyway that I can get a copy of my passport certified so I don`t have to carry it around everywhere. I just carry a good colour photocopy which I have had plastificated and the supermarkets accept it when I pay by credit card, but will the police accept it if I get stopped driving.

Suzanne
20-09-2012, 23:31
The Notary at El Camison above Mercadonna will certify your passport. I had mine done there and my residencia. Saves a lot of messing about.

cainaries
21-09-2012, 11:27
The Notary at El Camison above Mercadonna will certify your passport. I had mine done there and my residencia. Saves a lot of messing about.

That's a good idea! A friend who arrived in June has got a new 'credit card' sized and plastificated residencia. I don't suppose the authorities would allow us to hand back in the old one and get a new one ?? OH suspects it would be more trouble than it's worth but I am very tempted to at least try.

DonnaFranka
21-09-2012, 16:16
Good Idea. I too am tired of looking after that large piece of paper which is getting dogeared by the minuite. Could you pls let us know Canaries how you got on. Thanks.

cainaries
21-09-2012, 19:45
Good Idea. I too am tired of looking after that large piece of paper which is getting dogeared by the minuite. Could you pls let us know Canaries how you got on. Thanks.

Will do! Might not be for a while as we are always loath to tangle with Canarian bureaucracy. And before anyone objects to that, all our Canarian friends feel just the same.