PDA

View Full Version : Relocation I am considering moving to Tenerife for my retirement

snodster
16-07-2012, 21:55
Hi All
am retiring aged 55 next year and considering moving to
tenerife. i intend renting my uk home for £600/month and
renting in tenerife for a similar amount.
i hope to live off my monthly pension and supplement this
with some part time work.
I had a holiday previously inland from los cristianos, it was a 20 minute bus ride to the coast and seemed a nice area.
what type of appartment could i rent ?
where could i rent for this amount ?
i intend taking a 3 month break to investigate, but would appreciate any pointers,
fingers crossed,
regards
Malc Brown

KirstyJay
16-07-2012, 22:19
Hi All
am retiring aged 55 next year and considering moving to
tenerife. i intend renting my uk home for £600/month and
renting in tenerife for a similar amount.
i hope to live off my monthly pension and supplement this
with some part time work.
I had a holiday previously inland from los cristianos, it was a 20 minute bus ride to the coast and seemed a nice area.
what type of appartment could i rent ?
where could i rent for this amount ?
i intend taking a 3 month break to investigate, but would appreciate any pointers,
fingers crossed,
regards
Malc Brown

Depending on what size place you require, you can get apartments in the villages for much less than 600€ a month which are on the bus routes about the same time into Los Cristianos that you say. Where I live the bus takes about 25 mins to Las Americas and you can get a 2 bed apartment for about 330€/month.

Then you wouldn't have to supplement your income with a part time job and it'd be entirely doable without worrying about finances :)

If you get a part time job, then great! If not, then do some work for the charities to keep you busy ;)

The only thing you really have to think about is healthcare. You will have to go private, so factor a healthcare insurance premium into your budget too, if you haven't already - unless you are entitled to UK subsidies, but I'm sure that is only if you are staying 6 months at a time? TIS or Goldenmaniac will know for sure. :)

snodster
16-07-2012, 22:52
thanks for the information.
i hope to rent 6 months at a time.
how much is health cover ?
anyone got a ball park price for 1 adult ?
thanks

TenerifeTeddy
16-07-2012, 23:41
It obviously varies on age and existing conditions, but I would think a ballpark of €100-€150 per month wouldn't be too far out. Member TIS, who is an insurance agent, would be able to give you more precise information.

CIM
17-07-2012, 00:04
Not sure on the health cover but so far as rentals you could get something on the coast for very little. Look at towns like Los Abrigos and Las Galletas (where I live.)
Really nice places, everything on your door stop, vibrant communities etc with easy access to the bigger resorts. £600 per month is currently 750€. You could rent a one bed for as little as 300€ here. If you want something a bit nicer then pay a bit more.
To get started I would come over and have a look around these places. There are rental agents with plenty of properties on their books in these areas - they would be a good place to start looking.

Goldenmaniac
19-07-2012, 15:54
Depending on what size place you require, you can get apartments in the villages for much less than 600€ a month which are on the bus routes about the same time into Los Cristianos that you say. Where I live the bus takes about 25 mins to Las Americas and you can get a 2 bed apartment for about 330€/month.

Then you wouldn't have to supplement your income with a part time job and it'd be entirely doable without worrying about finances :)

If you get a part time job, then great! If not, then do some work for the charities to keep you busy ;)

The only thing you really have to think about is healthcare. You will have to go private, so factor a healthcare insurance premium into your budget too, if you haven't already - unless you are entitled to UK subsidies, but I'm sure that is only if you are staying 6 months at a time? TIS or Goldenmaniac will know for sure. :)

Since the recent changes to residence legislation proving that you have the means to support yourself is also a requirement for staying legally longer than 90 days at a time. That might involve a job offer (part time) and/or proof of regular income or investments or proof of the rental income from the UK see here for more info http://www.diana-mcglone.com/#residencia