PDA

View Full Version : How do I register with a Tenerife doctor with form S1 with a UK retirement pension?

junetta
17-07-2012, 21:29
I now have my retirement pension from the UK and need to register with the Doctor. I have the form S1
and need to know how to go about it.

Some advice please x

timmylish
17-07-2012, 22:47
First and foremost. Make sure that you pick a doctor who is genuinely liked and respected by locals. If you cannot converse well in Spanish get someone who is prepared to go with you every time. Absolute must. DO NOT EXPECT DOCTORS TO SPEAK ANY LANGUAGE OTHER THAN THEIR OWN.

cainaries
17-07-2012, 23:36
If our experience is anything to go by, you don't start by registering with a doctor. You have to go to your local Spanish Social Security Office and register with them and they will arrange for you to get a Spanish Health Card. Once you have got that ... or at least the paperwork ... you can go to your local Health Centre and apply. I know Tenerife is more sophisticated and they may accept the English version of your paperwork but we had to get ours translated. Choosing a doctor, quite frankly, was the least of our worries at the time although Timmylish is right that it becomes important later on. However, if you don't like the one they allocate you, you are allowed to ask to change to another one. good luck.