PDA

View Full Version : Which connection cable do I need from my laptop to TV?

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 13:19
Cant find what im looking for on this subject in the forum archives (probably as i dont REALLY know what im looking for!). I want to play dvds on laptop, view via TV. Not as simple as i thought. My laptop has a 15 pin input available (i believe known as a "vga"!!. It has no screw holes. The TV has the same, with screw holes. In shops here all the cables seem to have 15 or much more, pins all in a line, not what im after. Adding to this, my TV also has a hole with "hdmi" audio" on it, but i dont know what connector is needed for it. Any help appreciated, as to where to get the right cable, and sound options as i want to hear it through the TV. Thanks, Sean.

Suej
18-07-2012, 13:47
Cant find what im looking for on this subject in the forum archives (probably as i dont REALLY know what im looking for!). I want to play dvds on laptop, view via TV. Not as simple as i thought. My laptop has a 15 pin input available (i believe known as a "vga"!!. It has no screw holes. The TV has the same, with screw holes. In shops here all the cables seem to have 15 or much more, pins all in a line, not what im after. Adding to this, my TV also has a hole with "hdmi" audio" on it, but i dont know what connector is needed for it. Any help appreciated, as to where to get the right cable, and sound options as i want to hear it through the TV. Thanks, Sean.

PM Mrs TT (Witzend) they might be able to help you sean!

KirstyJay
18-07-2012, 14:05
You need a VGA to VGA cable. Ask in any computer shop. 😊

delderek
18-07-2012, 14:26
You will also need an Audio cable. VGA does not carry sound.

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 14:44
ok , vga to vga, not seen any so far, one other shop to try. As suspected for audio, just unsure Delderek how to resolve. Could go headphone out of my laptop but tried it with rca jacks to back of tv playing a cd, no joy?

slodgedad
18-07-2012, 15:00
Headphone/ line out is the only way to get sound from lappy to whatever

delderek
18-07-2012, 15:03
ok , vga to vga, not seen any so far, one other shop to try. As suspected for audio, just unsure Delderek how to resolve. Could go headphone out of my laptop but tried it with rca jacks to back of tv playing a cd, no joy?

That should work, but you may have to look into your audio software to choose devices, although if when you plugged in the audio lead, it shut off the laptop sound, then it should work. (just a thought, are you sure its RCA out, most are mini Jack.

Suej
18-07-2012, 15:08
A friend of ours uses this and reckons it's brilliant! only an idea!:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Waves-Wireless-USB-HDMI-Extender/dp/B002RL9F38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342620448&sr=8-1

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 15:09
its mini jack, the inputs on back of tv are rca plus one marked "hdmi sound", think its mini jack too.

karinagal
18-07-2012, 15:15
Just buy a DVD player - it's bound to be cheaper than the computer cable!!!!!

The undisputed queen of de-nial

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 15:24
Got 2, Spanish one will not play the discs you kindly made (think its wrong region?) and the Uk one is kaput! Cable only a few quid, just wanna get the right one. They play fine on laptop.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2012, 15:30
Then as stated, you need a VGA to VGA cable for video, plus a 3.5mm stereo plug to 3.5mm stereo plug cable for audio (assuming only VGA is available on both bits of kit).

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 15:36
Vortex, the TV has an "hdmi" input, would that change anything? Laptop doesnt appear to have an HDMI out.

Vortex Wake
18-07-2012, 15:45
No, not if the laptop has no HDMI out.

You may well be able to buy a USB to HDMI converter - but you then still need the cable (?)

KirstyJay
18-07-2012, 16:14
I bought one of these recently for the projector in my class. You may only need a shorter one, but just search for something similar on amazon or ebay :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300657325433?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

seanocelt
18-07-2012, 16:26
looks like what need, got 1 in Los Cris for the bar last year, without audio lead, think i know what shop to go to. Thanks.s

karinagal
18-07-2012, 19:27
Got 2, Spanish one will not play the discs you kindly made (think its wrong region?) and the Uk one is kaput! Cable only a few quid, just wanna get the right one. They play fine on laptop.

That's strange.... They're region 2 which is or should be the same as here? Sorry petal - can't think why they won't play. I specifically chose the format to be played on a DVD player!!

delderek
18-07-2012, 21:15
looks like what need, got 1 in Los Cris for the bar last year, without audio lead, think i know what shop to go to. Thanks.s

I think you may need to look very closely at the TV input. I suspect the HDMI sound may well be an OUTPUT, as earlier hdmi cables could not carry RETURN sound (used in some Home theatre systems). and the RCA on your TV could also be outputs, not inputs.

seanocelt
19-07-2012, 01:09
Never thought about that re-hdmi. The rca audios are deffo ins, as my video camera works through them on playback. Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That's strange.... They're region 2 which is or should be the same as here? Sorry petal - can't think why they won't play. I specifically chose the format to be played on a DVD player!!

No, now that ive thought more, aint the region. DVD players can be such snobs, so will get a cable n try laptop, or another Spanish dvd player,my friend who knows these things, says the cheaper the player the more stuff it plays, something about less prorocols? ****ed if i know!!

Red Devil
29-07-2012, 20:40
Further to this, I want to buy an ipad to bring to Tenerife later this year. If I load lots of films, TV shows etc onto the ipad (not that I know how to even do that yet), will I then be able to buy a similar connection so I can watch these programmes via the TV in the apartment?

joshll
19-08-2012, 15:33
PC cable from pretty much any Chinese shop, VGA to VGA or S-VIDEO to VGA, or S-VIDEO to SCART..Any of those will do just fine.

Rickiebear
19-08-2012, 16:47
Hi Red Devil, I watch this with interest. I have managed to download a number of films, but not yet managed to play them on my TV.

cainaries
19-08-2012, 19:27
A friend of ours uses this and reckons it's brilliant! only an idea!:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Waves-Wireless-USB-HDMI-Extender/dp/B002RL9F38/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342620448&sr=8-1

I don't know if you are still following this thread but, if you are, is your friend using this in UK or Tenerife? Looks exactly what we want but only friend we know who has one bought it in Switzerland (where he comes from) and brought it back with him ... as so many of us do with these things.

Later thought .... he was showing us photos! So no sound involved.

seanocelt
19-08-2012, 19:32
Ultimately i had a frustrating time, laptop output to tv doesnt include sound, hard to find cables that work with vision and sound from mine. Good luck to all, im sure newer laptops will have hdmi, with sound.

delderek
19-08-2012, 20:23
PC cable from pretty much any Chinese shop, VGA to VGA or S-VIDEO to VGA, or S-VIDEO to SCART..Any of those will do just fine.

None of those will carry Audio.,

karinagal
19-08-2012, 21:13
Ultimately i had a frustrating time, laptop output to tv doesnt include sound, hard to find cables that work with vision and sound from mine. Good luck to all, im sure newer laptops will have hdmi, with sound.

Do you want to borrow the original DVDs? We're coming over on 7th September.. It really would not be a problem.

The undisputed queen of de-nial

Vortex Wake
19-08-2012, 22:22

It is worth pointing out that you may need to tell the laptop (via audio settings ) that audio is sent via the hdmi cable - it is often not automatically sent via hdmi.

timmylish
19-08-2012, 23:24
My daughter flew back to Glasgow this evening but had her iPad with her and watched all her films etc from iPad to TV in her apartment! Don,t know which cable she use, unfortunately.

karinagal
20-08-2012, 00:07
There are two cables you can use for the iPad - one has 3 coloured plugs to connect to the tv, the most recent one is an iPad to HDMI adaptor. I have both but the HDMI one is best for HD content.

seanocelt
20-08-2012, 01:27
Thanks Karina, no worries will be getting a less snobby dvd player. Vortex my laptop settings have very few options on that section, thanks though, know what you mean.