PDA

View Full Version : Buying drinking water in Tenerife

Graceylacey
19-07-2012, 10:10
Does anyone know a water company who delivers water bottles to houses in Tenerife??

I have used a company for the last 6 years called Guayadeque who delivered big water bottles that sat on a machine that kept it cool. But my machine has broke and I cant afford a new one :(:(

I dont want to start having to lug water bottles from supermarkets, so wondered if anyone gets water delivered here.

When I was nannying in Chafiras I am saw a van delivering water but I cant think what the name of the company was..

Any help would be appreciated!

KirstyJay
19-07-2012, 14:58
Does anyone know a water company who delivers water bottles to houses in Tenerife??

I have used a company for the last 6 years called Guayadeque who delivered big water bottles that sat on a machine that kept it cool. But my machine has broke and I cant afford a new one :(:(

I dont want to start having to lug water bottles from supermarkets, so wondered if anyone gets water delivered here.

When I was nannying in Chafiras I am saw a van delivering water but I cant think what the name of the company was..

Any help would be appreciated!Put water bottles in your freezer and get them out to drink one at a time. Drink the cold water as it defrosts :)

Suej
19-07-2012, 16:48
Put water bottles in your freezer and get them out to drink one at a time. Drink the cold water as it defrosts :)

...............???

nigelmercier
19-07-2012, 17:39
What is wrong with the water from the tap? If you don't like the taste, buy a filter.

viv
19-07-2012, 18:39
We had a drinking water tap fitted because we did not want to carry water bottles up the stairs... The chap who fitted it is lovely.
The tap is fitted onto your kitchen sink.. and comes from the mains.. The water is sent through 3 filters to take out all the yuk!! He can explain it better than I.

His name is john Darling of "Tenerife Drinking Water Filters" ofice number 922729365

It really is brilliant, save money and time in the long run.. we wouldn't be without it.

John came and changed our filters last month, we were shocked on how much yuk had been collected! The water is great we cook, wash our vegetables and drink it all the time.

Hope this helps.. :0)

Sunterra
19-07-2012, 19:27
I stopped buying water a long time ago and use a Brita water filter. No more worrying about getting or carrying water. I decant the filtered water from the Brita jug into 1 or 2 litre bottles which stay chilled in the fridge. All you need is to change the filter approximately every month and it is safe to drink and cook with. Cheaper than buying in water and hefting the 3/5 litre bottles. There is a company who does the chilled water machines, but as you know this can be expensive.

viv
20-07-2012, 10:52
whooops sorry, looks like I gave out to much information on John Darling who fitted our drinking water tap! If you need his mobile or email address Pm me and I'll send it to you.. :0)

Graceylacey
20-07-2012, 10:54
Thanks for all your advise. I go through so much water with having the animals too that I need more than the Brita Water Filter. But my daughter uses one and she is really happy with it.

I have gone for a water filter system, as my Dad is able to fit them, being a plumber! I bought one yesterday for 101€ which was on offer from 185€ in Hydroulica. So was very happy with my bargain and saved me going to Leroy Merlin which was the next cheapest!!!

The idea of keeping the water bottles in the freezer Kirsty is a good one, we do that all the time and the girls take them to school and work with them so that they have cold water to drink and I take one with me when I have the dogs with me, so that they have water in the car to drink but its not gone so bloomin hot in this heat!!!

nigelmercier
22-07-2012, 18:32
I go through so much water with having the animals too that I need more than the Brita Water Filter...
Really? You filter water for animals to drink?

My dog would drink from our lake, puddles, manhole covers, and sometimes even from her water bowl.

poker
22-07-2012, 20:27
Really? You filter water for animals to drink?

My dog would drink from our lake, puddles, manhole covers, and sometimes even from her water bowl.

Animals like humans can get kidnie stones and other problems over the years from drinking not so good water.
We give our cats also filterd water.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

slodgedad
22-07-2012, 20:36
Animals like humans can get kidnie stones and other problems over the years from drinking not so good water.
We give our cats also filterd water.

Don't think so. Locally bred animals are used to the local water conditions through heredity.

I would think that giving them fancy water would be worse.

Locally bred humans seem to survive well on tap water.

poker
22-07-2012, 20:55
Don't think so. Locally bred animals are used to the local water conditions through heredity.

I would think that giving them fancy water would be worse.

Locally bred humans seem to survive well on tap water.

Water differs from source and qualety in different places in Tenerife.

Some water up the hils is pure very good mineral water (they even bottle and sel it) .

Our water comes from a desalination plant
the desalonated water gets a bit mixed with mountain water to soften it with minerals, but is no good to drink.
I know, my neaber wurks in the desalination plant and has a filter also.

fixer
22-07-2012, 21:29
Ive also got a filter fitted by John no more carrying water.

junglejim
22-07-2012, 22:25
The water in Tenerife tends to be high in dissolved solids including heavy metals - no amount of filtration will remove these .
Some people do not do well on high dissolve heavy metals and as such need to check what is in the water they are drinking - young babies in particular need to drink water with low sodium and metals content which I doubt would be achieved by filtering tap water - the only feasible ways of doing this are by distillation or "Reverse Osmosis" desalination systems which do operate around Tenerife.
Our complex has a potable water supply which is chlorinated and some use it directly or with in-house filters , In addition we have had for 2 years a Machine installed wich will supply water that has been triple filtered then passed through Reverse Osmosis membranes to provide a high quality , suitable for babies ,product .
It is well used by complex and the deal with supplier of machine makes it cheaper than supermarket - you also have the option to source and supply/service a machine yourself .

nigelmercier
22-07-2012, 23:21
Conflicting views here: RO filters in desalination plants are bad / RO filters at home are good.

The bottom line is that almost nothing other than pure water can pass through a RO filter, so if you are fed from a desalination plant, the water from it is as pure as it can get. The problem is that pure water tastes bland, and has no mineral content (many trace minerals being good for you) hence the need to mix it.

Babies are of course a different case, but cats? The animals that lick themselves clean? Everywhere! :yum:

Graceylacey
23-07-2012, 15:37
I was told by my vet NOT to let my dogs or cats drink the water from the taps, so that is why I dont let them.

Beachwatcher
23-07-2012, 18:48
We dont have pets but for our wAter....We use one of those jug filters...they had them in sainsburys in uk for about 15 including Brita filter

But u can buy filters on amazon 4 £10
Each one lasts 4-5 weeks. They work ,it seems, on a time basis

I got ours from ferreteria in las galletas...one on main side street dar end town 20 euros I think it was
It's a godsend to avoid expensive purchase bottled water.
We drink it all the time....so would be darned site cheaper for your dogs!