PDA

View Full Version : Other Cabildo President says mis-use of Social Networks should be prosecuted

Goldenmaniac
19-07-2012, 14:41
The president of the Tenerife Cabildo, Ricardo Melchior, has stated during a press conferance that he believes the misuse of social networks during emergencies such as the recent forest fire should be a prosecutable offence.

He did concede that they can also be a useful means of disseminating information.

The president was speaking yesterday during a local German language radio station broadcast when he highlighted one incident where a photograph was circulating showing the Orotava valley in flames, something that was a complete fabrication.

In a separate episode, the Guia de Isora local Police telephone number almost collapsed under the weight of phone calls offering help after a spurious notice was published which maintained volunteers with water carrying equipment were needed.

Ironically a notice refuting the mis-information was published on the official Ayuntamiento website.

In the UK in 2011 at least one teenager appeared in court after posting inviting people to follow rioting in English cities reported by fellow Facebook users

http://newsinthesun.com/?p=9412

yourneighbourdi
19-07-2012, 14:45
Sorry to disagree but if was not for the social networking would not have a clue what was going on....we are not in UK so our main priority is our homes and Tenerife. Cannot rely on Spanish Gov for correct information.
Far too little too late...and if anyone disagrees with this..you are welcome to my village...

tonypub
19-07-2012, 14:58
The president of the Tenerife Cabildo, Ricardo Melchior, has stated during a press conferance that he believes the misuse of social networks during emergencies such as the recent forest fire should be a prosecutable offence.

He did concede that they can also be a useful means of disseminating information.

The president was speaking yesterday during a local German language radio station broadcast when he highlighted one incident where a photograph was circulating showing the Orotava valley in flames, something that was a complete fabrication.

In a separate episode, the Guia de Isora local Police telephone number almost collapsed under the weight of phone calls offering help after a spurious notice was published which maintained volunteers with water carrying equipment were needed.

Ironically a notice refuting the mis-information was published on the official Ayuntamiento website.

In the UK in 2011 at least one teenager appeared in court after posting inviting people to follow rioting in English cities reported by fellow Facebook users

http://newsinthesun.com/?p=9412did he not mention the fact that it took so long for the planes to get here?or the fact that the army was stuck in limbo waiting for the all clear to fight the fire.descisions were not made by the powers that be.

julia44
19-07-2012, 15:00
OK miss use is not acceptable but for someone that lives alone and my house was only 300m from the fire in 2007 social networks are very important for me to get any info possible

Vortex Wake
19-07-2012, 15:08
I was disappointed that a member of this forum had posted both the picture of Orotava , and the false request for water carrying equipment on Facebook- despite the authenticity of the latter being questioned .

KirstyJay
19-07-2012, 15:14
I was disappointed that a member of this forum had posted both the picture of Orotava , and the false request for water carrying equipment on Facebook- despite the authenticity of the latter being questioned .If you're talking about me, the water trucks were verified to my knowledge, as I got the info from a Guia ayuntamiento website. I did not know that they had not verified it, plus it was mentioned on the TV too. I removed them as soon as the info came out to the contrary and I noticed that the source I got it from, the Associación de Guia de Isora, removed it too.

Also, I have not shared the Oratava photo as the fires... I shared it as a photo of Oratava that I thought was nice. Read the comments.

Suej
19-07-2012, 15:21
I think we all posted information that we thought was relevent or helpful at the time!:)

TOTO 99
19-07-2012, 15:23
I was disappointed that a member of this forum had posted both the picture of Orotava , and the false request for water carrying equipment on Facebook- despite the authenticity of the latter being questioned .

I don't know how you can be disappointed. Nobody on this forum would post something like that knowing it to be wrong. All the information I have had has come from either this forum, Janet's site or Facebook. They kept me up to speed and I am thankful of that. You might rely on assistance like this yourself one day. :angry:

Vortex Wake
19-07-2012, 15:33
If you're talking about me, the water trucks were verified to my knowledge, as I got the info from a Guia ayuntamiento website. I did not know that they had not verified it, plus it was mentioned on the TV too. I removed them as soon as the info came out to the contrary and I noticed that the source I got it from, the Associación de Guia de Isora, removed it too.

Also, I have not shared the Oratava photo as the fires... I shared it as a photo of Oratava that I thought was nice. Read the comments.

I don't know what the case is now, as this was posted yesterday afternoon, but I assure you, at the time I posted it, it was not a hoax.

It was always a hoax - just like a lot of Facebook posts. That is why we all need to be cautious about re-posting, or 'liking' posts on Facebook that cannot be verified. After-all, it was said that this misinformation blocked telephone lines into the emergency services.

TOTO 99
19-07-2012, 15:35
It was always a hoax - just like a lot of Facebook posts. That is why we all need to be cautious about re-posting, or 'liking' posts on Facebook that cannot be verified. After-all, it was said that this misinformation blocked telephone lines into the emergency services.

VW I can't believe you're even arguing this point.........

Goldenmaniac
19-07-2012, 15:45
Sorry to disagree but if was not for the social networking would not have a clue what was going on....we are not in UK so our main priority is our homes and Tenerife. Cannot rely on Spanish Gov for correct information.
Far too little too late...and if anyone disagrees with this..you are welcome to my village...

Don't shoot the messenger :)

yourneighbourdi
19-07-2012, 20:05
Don't shoot the messenger :)

Sorry..this is by no means a minor event, and unfortunately you were the Messenger:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Is it not feasible to put collection tins on checkouts ..Mercadonna..Lidl..surely would work but probably too much red tape?

warbey
19-07-2012, 20:52
I have no personal involvement at all, except I know a lot of Fellow Members can be directly affected by Fires.

These People want current information and its too late when Your House is in Flames.

It reflects somewhat on Official ommunications and I fail to see what direct benefit ANY Official

can gain from making this kind of statement except to shoot Themselves in the Foot, yet again.

Why not invite the Official view within this (and perhaps other) Forum so points of view can be exchanged

and Inhabitants reassured Systems are working for their collective safety?

or was the Statement just to get Their Name published as being involved.? (it happens often)

A while ago a rather gruesome incident was reported on This Forum.. Video information was used in Newscasts in the U,k, national News.

My point is We were all informed and I believe this to be an example of the important functions of this Forum.

Use it. Don't abuse it..

Muppet
19-07-2012, 20:53
VW I can't believe you're even arguing this point.........

Whilst VW and I have had disagrements in the past, I can....

The amount of mis-information I've seen during this incident has been beyond belief. It is one thing using "social networking" to disseminate the latest info on a particular subject, but quite another to label it as genuine without checking sources once, twice and then again.

Just because something appears on a website does not necessarily mean it is official. The Cabildo are partly to blame for having one of the most confusing website structures and uncontrolled twitter feeds known to man, and our President would do well to understand how this sort of thing comes about, and act upon it, but what he said is actually spot on. IMHO

yourneighbourdi
19-07-2012, 21:05
So why can't we take Collection tins into Mercadonna and Lidl..they will be full before anyone can do anything about it! Quick cash..for people who deserve it..not much point waiting for official stuff....!

cainaries
19-07-2012, 23:07
Whilst VW and I have had disagrements in the past, I can....

The amount of mis-information I've seen during this incident has been beyond belief. It is one thing using "social networking" to disseminate the latest info on a particular subject, but quite another to label it as genuine without checking sources once, twice and then again.

Just because something appears on a website does not necessarily mean it is official. The Cabildo are partly to blame for having one of the most confusing website structures and uncontrolled twitter feeds known to man, and our President would do well to understand how this sort of thing comes about, and act upon it, but what he said is actually spot on. IMHO

Personally I would find it quite impossible to tell the difference. There is a digital newspaper here on La Palma which was publishing updates about the fire here which, according to the paper, was based on information supplied by the authorities. I don't have the skills to go burrowing away on the authorities' websites to verify the information as, very probably, they haven't even posted the information on their websites because they are just that minute giving a press conference reported by the paper.

yourneighbourdi
20-07-2012, 18:11
So why can't we take Collection tins into Mercadonna and Lidl..they will be full before anyone can do anything about it! Quick cash..for people who deserve it..not much point waiting for official stuff....!

Sorry..can see how that would not work....now things have calmed down :)

carpenter
20-07-2012, 19:03
Just the facts mam,

To be honest everyone loved getting stuck in and relaying all the info that they had. People unfortunately were giving false info which escalated by means of the TENERIFE GRAPEVINE. Someone said on this forum, I can't see the flames but it looks to be coming from Vilaflor, the next posts were OMG Vilaflors' on fire (this was a day before Vilaflor was evacuated)

It wasn't the posters fault but people only see or read what they want to see or read and panic, so I agree that in this case Social Networking sites were a pain in the derriere for the cabildo but essential to expats.

I just stayed well away from the thread completely.

I saw some friends today that were watching the fire from their houses in La Escalona, the fire reached as close as 1 km away and they were a hell of a lot calmer that most people down here because the rumors were out of control.

I applaud the services and also the news networks that were reporting from the mountains. Those for me were the only people to believe.

Jimgomera
20-07-2012, 21:09
After-all, it was said that this misinformation blocked telephone lines into the emergency services

No doubt you have double if not triple checked that this was in fact the case.........

Social Media is the new driving force everywhere....those in Authority whether it be Newspapers or Politicians
want to discredit the exchange of opinion and information.

Again well done to all who participate on this site.....for the betterment of us all in Islas Canarias

Jackie
20-07-2012, 21:24
Carpenter I can see where you're coming from with 'official reports' but I have a work colleague who is also a forum member who knew nothing about the fires when they first started and was only notified on Sunday when I put something on my FB..and would like to add she has skived off work all week while looking after the children of Bomberos hahaha...you know I'm joking darlin'...look forward to seeing you Monday xx

yourneighbourdi
20-07-2012, 22:21
Tenerife is too small an Island to wait for red tape....people who have been here many years know who to trust...and act accordingly....good job we did!
Enjoyed the skive hun and put it to use :) x