PDA

View Full Version : Other Staying cool in Tenerife when it's REALLY hot!

KirstyJay
19-07-2012, 15:19
We had a thread similar to this on the old forum that was really useful, and answering Graceylacey's post brought it to mind again.

Please post any suggestions you have for ways of keeping cool.

1) Put bottles of water in the freezer to keep them cool, then take them out one by one and drink the cold water as it defrosts.

2) Use the frozen bottles by płtting them in a bowl in front of a fan. The fan will blow cold air and act as aircon if you don't have any :)

3) This was Andy0210's original suggestion, if you have an electric boiler, swap the hot and cold connections over, then you'll get cold water from the cold tap instead of warm water when it's this hot!

Any more...?

tonypub
19-07-2012, 15:28
go to the pub(my pub);):shiver

Suej
19-07-2012, 16:10
a little earlier OH went to hose down our front steps! (the hose reel is on the wall in the sun) the first flush of water went over his foot when he turned it on and it looks almost like he has scalded it! be careful folks!

carpenter
19-07-2012, 17:23
Low pressure misting system, enables you to sit outside and stay cool. The costs compared to air con are incomparable. They cost €25 and plug straight into your outside tap.

Suej
19-07-2012, 17:29
Low pressure misting system, enables you to sit outside and stay cool. The costs compared to air con are incomparable. They cost €25 and plug straight into your outside tap.

That might make my hair go fuzzy!:girl:

nigelmercier
19-07-2012, 17:44
if you have an electric boiler, swap the hot and cold connections over, then you'll get cold water from the cold tap instead of warm water when it's this hot!

This has got to be a wind-up.

ciderhunter
19-07-2012, 18:15
Go to a supermarket and stand near the freezer department.

primrose
19-07-2012, 18:24

When it's really hot the people that have their water piped to their houses through pipes on the side of the mountains have hot water coming out of the cold tap as it is heated by the sun,so you turn the electric to the boiler off and let the water in the boiler go cold so cold water comes out of the hot tap and the warm water out of the cold tap.

Suej
19-07-2012, 18:31
When it's really hot the people that have there water piped to their houses through pipes on the side of the mountains have hot water coming out of the cold tap as it is heated by the sun,so you turn the electric to the boiler off and let the water in the boiler go cold so cold water comes out of the hot tap and the warm water out of the cold tap.

Thank you very much for the detailed info primrose! I was beginning to think that the sun had got to me too!:laugh:

carpenter
19-07-2012, 18:49

I think she forgot to mention to turn the electric supply off. Alternatively you could just turn the tap to hot when you want cold water if the boiler is storing cold water couldn't you?

chifleta
19-07-2012, 18:57
I have a plastic water spray bottle for my balcony plants.... when it's stinking hot and you just don't wanna lie in bed, I spray my bed sheets a few mins before I get in, and the fan cools it down, and also I sometimes just spray my whole body and lie like a starfish in bed with the fan on oscillate :tongue:

primrose
19-07-2012, 18:58
I think she forgot to mention to turn the electric supply off. Alternatively you could just turn the tap to hot when you want cold water if the boiler is storing cold water couldn't you?

Who is she????????????? I think you will find that I did say to turn the electric to the boiler off.

KirstyJay
19-07-2012, 18:59
You know, that's common sense. Never thought of that! :o

Who is she????????????? I think you will find that I did say to turn the electric to the boiler off.He means me... in the OP... and I did forget to mention that. :)

Suej
19-07-2012, 19:26
I have a plastic water spray bottle for my balcony plants.... when it's stinking hot and you just don't wanna lie in bed, I spray my bed sheets a few mins before I get in, and the fan cools it down, and also I sometimes just spray my whole body and lie like a starfish in bed with the fan on oscillate :tongue:

Too much information chifleta! what star fish are we talking about here?:laugh:

chifleta
19-07-2012, 20:02

it's too hot to think dirty today :hightemp::sunshine:

Malteser Monkey
19-07-2012, 20:04
You know, that's common sense. Never thought of that! :o

Men ! they're not too hot on that KJ:doh::D

Blinkin hell - she's still reading that 50 shades of whatever :crylaughing: dirty mare:wow::D

warbey
19-07-2012, 20:34

I like that a lot.

Unfortunately where I am I dont think We would EVER need it..

On Holiday My O.H. has been known to take a tepid Shower aroun 2 a,m. when it can be stifling.

cainaries
19-07-2012, 20:38

No no no! I haven't even read the rest of the thread. this is absolutely not a wind up and I have been so grateful for the advice given a year or so ago and I tell everyone else about it!

I run a bath from this system which arrives quite warm and let it cool and then just get in it and chill.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

What is it called in Spanish and ... mas o menos....where would I get one (or two) .....gracias.

KirstyJay
19-07-2012, 20:43
Men ! they're not too hot on that KJ:doh::DBut it was a MAN that had it! It must be the heat.... :o

kingbaker
19-07-2012, 20:46

I'm not sure that I understand you correctly Chifleta, have you any photos please? to make it more clear!!:whistle:

carpenter
19-07-2012, 20:55
What is it called in Spanish and ... mas o menos....where would I get one (or two) .....gracias.

You can get one or two from me, I can send them over to you.

The Spanish don't have an exact word for them but something similar to sistemas de nebulización but they vary from cheap systems from 25 Euros that plug into your tap to high pressure systems that cost in the thousands that run from high pressure pumps

chifleta
19-07-2012, 21:23
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly Chifleta, have you any photos please? to make it more clear!!:whistle:

oh dear oh dear oh dear :wink2:

Suej
19-07-2012, 21:25
Oscillating fans! star fish! misting machines! What sort of Forum is this!!!??:crylaughing:

ciderhunter
19-07-2012, 22:00
At night, get your top sheet soaking wet then wring it out as best you can. Then just pull it over yourself.

cainaries
19-07-2012, 22:49
You can get one or two from me, I can send them over to you.

The Spanish don't have an exact word for them but something similar to sistemas de nebulización but they vary from cheap systems from 25 Euros that plug into your tap to high pressure systems that cost in the thousands that run from high pressure pumps

Will send you PM as friends will be in Tenerife next Friday (not tomorrow) and may be could pick it up from you somewhere. Thanks!

kingbaker
20-07-2012, 11:30
oh dear oh dear oh dear :wink2:
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own::bowdown::whistle:

Very sorry Chifleta!!!!!:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g: You are always a poster of good info, and sources of good info, but you out-did yourself yesterday.(Deffo must be the heat) As an experienced sea angler, I have caught many hundeds of starfish over the years, and was always able to look them straight in the eye. I feel that I might now be traumatised, (DEPENDING ON THE AWAITED PHOTOS) and unable to catch then with a straight face ever again:whistle::whistle::whistle::bowdown::bowdown: :bowdown::D

chifleta
20-07-2012, 18:40
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowd own::bowdown::whistle:

Very sorry Chifleta!!!!!:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g: You are always a poster of good info, and sources of good info, but you out-did yourself yesterday.(Deffo must be the heat) As an experienced sea angler, I have caught many hundeds of starfish over the years, and was always able to look them straight in the eye. I feel that I might now be traumatised, (DEPENDING ON THE AWAITED PHOTOS) and unable to catch then with a straight face ever again:whistle::whistle::whistle::bowdown::bowdown: :bowdown::D

:crazy::crazy::crazy::fpull::fpull::raspberry2::ra spberry2::crylaughing::crylaughing: definately the heat.... I really meant like a snow angel... I knew what I meant hahahaha .... ughhhhh it's too hot ..... this is me:

kingbaker
20-07-2012, 19:00
:crazy::crazy::crazy::fpull::fpull::raspberry2::ra spberry2::crylaughing::crylaughing: definately the heat.... I really meant like a snow angel... I knew what I meant hahahaha .... ughhhhh it's too hot ..... this is me:

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaugh ing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing:

warbey
20-07-2012, 20:31
At night, get your top sheet soaking wet then wring it out as best you can. Then just pull it over yourself.

If You take a tepid Shower The Towel can go around You holding even more Moisture..

cainaries
20-07-2012, 23:11
If You take a tepid Shower The Towel can go around You holding even more Moisture..

Having forgotten my own advice to unplug the water heater, I turned the tap to COLD this afternoon and the cold water was so hot I couldn't actually have a shower without scalding myself. Only solution is to have a shower tomorrow morning before dawn! I did have a swim but it's not quite the same.

Santiago
21-07-2012, 21:34
Chuck some ice cubes in a bowl of water and then put your feet in it. Your blood will circulate and eventually cool the whole of your body.

cainaries
01-08-2012, 18:09
We bought one of Carpenter's water misting systems and it is wonderful. (He is not paying me to say this, honest!). I have just been sitting outside very near where it is 'misting' and it is beautifully cool. So glad we got it set up before the next calima.

Thanks for the excellent service, Carpenter.

balababe
01-08-2012, 18:18
Any pictures of your water misting system, Carpenter?

cainaries
01-08-2012, 18:20
I was going to try to post a picture but it's a very fine mist so I don't think it will come out in the photo.

tmfkahs
01-08-2012, 20:05
We were in Andalucia last week, and at 7pm the temperature was still 38c. This misting system was in all outside bar/cafe spaces and without it no-one stopped. Such a difference to outside living. It looks like you should be getting wet, but it evaporates so quick.
It should be used more here, especially in a Calima.
No good for up here, as the mosquitoes would love it, but for on the coast, IMO, a winner

carpenter
01-08-2012, 21:24
Hi , I've got a few images to show you showing some different applications and effects.
As has been said, misting is a very cheap and very effective way of cooling any outdoor area. To increase the cooling effect the mist line can be attached to the front of any fan.

I am just about to place an order for some more kits so let me know if you are interested. No mention of price here as I'm skating fairly close to the advertising edge as it is so PM me for more details. I also have digital water timers so you can keep your pet cool when your away at work or for the day.

carpenter
01-08-2012, 21:26
Couple more

Restaurante Margarita Los Cristianos

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Any pictures of your water misting system, Carpenter?

Photos posted as per request