PDA

View Full Version : Should community administrators give contact details to the owners?

caroledowner
19-07-2012, 22:16
Although i know where the president of our complex lives the
administrator has refused to give we owners his phone and email address as they say " it is confidencial " what is the general rule
surely his number and email should be made available
does anybody know is this normal

slodgedad
20-07-2012, 02:11
administrator has refused to give we owners his phone and email address as they say " it is confidencial " what is the general rule

Good question. I don't know, but would like to. Hence the bump..:)

junglejim
20-07-2012, 06:43
Simple solution -take out a denuncia against the Administrator, he also should have a complaints book as he is providing a service- if that doesn't work get an AGM or EGM to sack the administrator and President - you pay the administrator's wages and the President is elected to serve you !

BoPeep
20-07-2012, 08:20
What, Slodgedad, is a bump??

junglejim
20-07-2012, 08:25
It's adding a comment that brings your thread back to top - like this !:hello:

londoner
20-07-2012, 12:41

from your previous thread i presume your complex is vista hermosa 4 which i now know the administrators are TANDEM FINCAS SL i was looking to buy an app in another complex who use the same adminstrators and am interested to know if this company is playing by the rules before i go ahead with the sale.
any info will be much appreciated

BobMac
20-07-2012, 15:51

Don't know if it's normal or not but surely his contact details should be on the paperwork which he sends notifying the residents of the Community AGM every year ??

caroledowner
20-07-2012, 18:11
Don't know if it's normal or not but surely his contact details should be on the paperwork which he sends notifying the residents of the Community AGM every year ??

no presidents contact details on a recent AGM, except the appt number only the contact details for the administrators TANDEM FINCAS SL

fixer
20-07-2012, 18:44
Must be the same one as ours he also will not give out contact details.

Foz
20-07-2012, 18:47
Will the administrator not even pass on a message to the President asking him/her to contact you?

delderek
20-07-2012, 19:35
Purchased 20 years ago, did not have a clue about communities, Presidents, Administrators, (and I suspect many purchasers these days are the same). My purchase was on Royal Palm. Well run, everyone contactable, proper audited accounts, etc, AGM conducted in English.The more I read about community problems. I just can't believe how lucky I was.

René
20-07-2012, 21:23
Although i know where the president of our complex lives the administrator has refused to give we owners his phone and email address as they say " it is confidencial " what is the general rule surely his number and email should be made available does anybody know is this normal

I can confirm that it is not normal that a president cannot be contacted.

From all our communities we administer we have not one President who cannot be contacted directly. A few presidents like to be contacted by e-mail instead of by phone and in communities with many properties I can understand that. If the president asks us to not give their telephone number we can indeed not give their phone number according to the data protection act. But again a president who is not willing to speak to the co-owners is maybe not the best person for the job.

The contact details of the president are not mentioned on the invitation as it is normally the secretary-administrator, in the name of the president, who convokes the meeting. Therefore you will only find the details of the administration on the invitation.

I personally think that the presidents should only be contacted by other owners about community issues if it is really necessary. Owners should first contact the administration if there is a problem to try to find a solution.

Cruise
22-07-2012, 14:15
Surely the president attends the meetings and his apt no. is on the result of the AGM meeting.....if it was asomething urgent, I would go and knock on his door, if he does not want to give his contact details out. The presidents which are mostly unreachable are the ones in shopping centres.

Peterrayner
22-07-2012, 14:50
TANDEM FINCAS SL are the Administrators on our complex nad have been brilliant in sort out a whole load of mess with staff and financila matters.

Our President is contactable, mostly via the Administrators which they see has part of their job.

If things are not run like this the presidnet can end up running round like a headless chicken sorting out all sorts of trivia that frnakly arent even part of the job.

Many owners expect them to be available at every whim 24/7 which is just unreasonable.

david16
22-07-2012, 16:41
Surely if Presidents and Comittee members do not want to be contacted by owners they should not put themselves up for election in the first place??????? They should be easily contactable by those who elected them

Peterrayner
22-07-2012, 19:34
Surely if Presidents and Comittee members do not want to be contacted by owners they should not put themselves up for election in the first place? They should be easily contactable by those who elected them.

Easily ??? Do you mean "on demand" every hour of the day or night.

That sort of statement is usually made by those who arent ever willing to stand as President or on a committee.

It can be a thankless job which is done purely on a voluntary basis.

The Presidents job in law is to simply to call the community meetings and to represent the community in court.

Some people seem to think it is to police each and every minor petty dispute or infringement and to be at the beck and call of everyone at all hours of the day or night.

Yes in a true genuine emergency they would and should be available but for daily routine matters then a simple request, via the administrators, to return a call at their convenience is sufficient.

junglejim
22-07-2012, 21:57
Our President is available by phone, email and personal approach everyday ! However, I don't think he is doing himself any favours - I have suggested to him that he makes himself available at a specified time only, either weekly or a bit more frequently for community issues (emergencys excepted).
We also have 24hr reception which are more than capable of passing on or delegating messages to appropriate staff .
He did put himself in this position and does have legal responsibilities but he is also entitled to a private life. However our guy also has "other interests" so he has to be available almost 24/7 - he is welcome to it!

bonitatime
23-07-2012, 13:34
I don't think the administrators are obliged to give out this information due to data protection but the should pass on a message that you want to talk to the president.

caroledowner
23-07-2012, 14:43
TANDEM FINCAS SL are the Administrators on our complex nad have been brilliant in sort out a whole load of mess with staff and financila matters.

Our President is contactable, mostly via the Administrators which they see has part of their job.

If things are not run like this the presidnet can end up running round like a headless chicken sorting out all sorts of trivia that frnakly arent even part of the job.

Many owners expect them to be available at every whim 24/7 which is just unreasonable.

well you would say that, i am sure the half of owners on dinastia are delighted that their president and administrator turns a blind eye to holiday lets on a residential complex. i have lived on dinastia and know it was true at least up to last year.
we do not want to knock on the presidents door and we do contact the administrators about most things, but a presidents email should be available.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I don't think the administrators are obliged to give out this information due to data protection but the should pass on a message that you want to talk to the president.

we do contact the administrators but think it is not too much to ask for the presidents email address, rather than knocking on his door

Peterrayner
23-07-2012, 16:17
I still dont see anything wrong in protecting the President form a constant barrage of demands from owners or tenants.

NO the community administrators should not give out the Presidents contact details.

The Administrators should take note of your telephone number or email address and pass them on to the President who can then contact you direct to resolve the issues.

Tdm
23-07-2012, 18:06
Administrators should not give out addresses of owners in a complex, as they would be breaking the (Data Protection Law & possibly the Privacy Law as well) if they did. Some owners do not want their addresses made available to all and sundry, nor even to anyone without their permission. However owners should be able to contact a President, and if the Presidents address is not freely available then a letter simply marked "President" left in the complex or with the Administrators should get to the recipient and should be acknowledged.
I am no expert on the Law, but I know their was a terrible fuss (quite rightly) in our complex when one owner managed to obtain the addresses of other owners, and it wasn't the President nor the Administrators who gave them out.

caroledowner
24-07-2012, 13:15
Administrators should not give out addresses of owners in a complex, as they would be breaking the (Data Protection Law & possibly the Privacy Law as well) if they did. Some owners do not want their addresses made available to all and sundry, nor even to anyone without their permission. However owners should be able to contact a President, and if the Presidents address is not freely available then a letter simply marked "President" left in the complex or with the Administrators should get to the recipient and should be acknowledged.
I am no expert on the Law, but I know their was a terrible fuss (quite rightly) in our complex when one owner managed to obtain the addresses of other owners, and it wasn't the President nor the Administrators who gave them out.

our presidents app number is on the A.G.M but unless it was an emergency we would not want to infringe on his personal space, an email address would be
useful and should be the considered a right.

londoner
24-07-2012, 13:35
well you would say that, i am sure the half of owners on dinastia are delighted that their president and administrator turns a blind eye to holiday lets on a residential complex. i have lived on dinastia and know it was true at least up to last year.
we do not want to knock on the presidents door and we do contact the administrators about most things, but a presidents email should be available.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

we do contact the administrators but think it is not too much to ask for the presidents email address, rather than knocking on his door

i was told that dinastia was strictly residential, are some people renting out to holiday makers, this is a disaster for me as dinastia is one of the complexes i had hoped to buy and live permanantly.
i take it there is a big difference in the quality of management depending on which complex you live and only see the real story after you have lived on a complex

Peterrayner
24-07-2012, 13:54
Dinastia is a residential complex and we have mostly resident owners and long term term tenants however many other owners are non resident and use them as holiday homes themselves very frequently. It is a large complex with over 200 apartments and it can get quite busy at peak times.

We changed administrators last year and they have been a big success in my view in chasing debtors and reducing costs significanlty with the help of a very active committee and a great President who is always willing to help and assist others but does insist that her free time is her free time.

Balcony
24-07-2012, 14:39
If you know where the president lives why do you need a phone number? Just go to him. His home phone is a private matter, if he is paying for it. Administrators have a duty of care with any confidential information and so are right if they choose not to just hand out telephone numbers. You could ask adminstrators to contact the president of your behalf.

What is different is where the community fees pay for any telephone, or where the committeee awards themselves mobile phones paid for by the community, so they can "keep in touch" (it should be ONLY for community matters. LOL)- this then, IMHO, should be a matter of community concerns and those numbers made known.

elbee
25-07-2012, 14:56
The e mail address of the President of Dinastia is written in the entrance foyer. In my experience e mails are answered and she is only to happy to give honest answers and information to prospective purchasers.