PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know for definite how to get my blood group tested?

carpenter
20-07-2012, 16:39
Steph's due to drop very soon and I've just been told that my blood group must be known!

The reason is, if I'm not the same group as Steph's (which I'm pretty sure i'm not) and our baby comes out with my blood group and not Steph's then her body will reject our second child if the second baby is of the same group as the first.

If I am a different group to Steph then she must be given a special injection during labour or after birth to stop her body rejecting any further children. This injection is not routine in Spain which is the reason there are so many 2nd child miscarriages.

I used to know my group but over time I can't be sure that I am correct and something this important I'm not prepared to guess.

I have phoned my old surgery in the UK and also the Hospitals where I have had ops and treatment but no luck.

Does anyone out there know how to get this done please, where to go and if there is a cost how much it is.
Do I just go to my doc here?
Please only definite answers. Thanks in advance

Malteser Monkey
20-07-2012, 16:58
Good grief !

Wish i could help..daft question but have you tried the farmacia - maybe there is a kit - there seems to be for most things these days ?

Wishing you three the best of luck xx

just did a quick google

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Blood-Type

carpenter
20-07-2012, 17:32
Good grief !

Wish i could help..daft question but have you tried the farmacia - maybe there is a kit - there seems to be for most things these days ?

Wishing you three the best of luck xx

just did a quick google

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Your-Blood-Type

I'll see if I can get a test kit but I'd rather it was done by a qualified person so no mistakes are made.

Jackie
20-07-2012, 17:37
I'm sure Karen Wittaker could help

Suej
20-07-2012, 17:43
I'll see if I can get a test kit but I'd rather it was done by a qualified person so no mistakes are made.

You could go to Dr Whittaker in Los Cris on the outside (underneath) of the Arona Gran Hotel. she will have the result within a couple of days! I'm not sure of the cost of just analysis of a blood group but I would say around 30€ you could phone and ask! Tele: 922 798 226 the surgery is open until 1pm Mon-Fri!:)

carpenter
20-07-2012, 17:46
Thanks Jackie and Sue. I'll call her Monday morning and see what happens. €30 is a nice comfortable amount if it is around that price

Suej
20-07-2012, 17:51
Thanks Jackie and Sue. I'll call her Monday morning and see what happens. €30 is a nice comfortable amount if it is around that price

I don't think it will be much over that carpenter...also you will get a full analysis printed out from the Lab so something for you to file away for whenever you may need it! Please stop saying Steph's about to drop it makes her sound like a sow!!! :laugh: MEN!!!

carpenter
20-07-2012, 17:55
The baby does drop Sue, just before labour :bootyshake: WOMEN!!!

Malteser Monkey
21-07-2012, 12:35
The baby does drop Sue, just before labour :bootyshake: WOMEN!!!

Doesn't it get engaged ? and I don't mean just before marriage !!!:tongue:

Suej
21-07-2012, 12:44
Doesn't it get engaged ? and I don't mean just before marriage !!!:tongue:

So caprenter should say "Steph's about to get engaged!" Where the party then?:jumping:

carpenter
21-07-2012, 14:51
Dropping and engagement are two slightly different things.

Dropping is when baby descends to the pelvis which is not the same as baby engaging which is when the baby descends to the level of the ischial spines.

You women should know all this! us blokes don't learn this until the delivery room. Give me a break please :confused:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

So caprenter should say "Steph's about to get engaged!" Where the party then?:jumping:

Our engagement cost me a fortune and my motorbike :crying2: not doing that again

Suej
21-07-2012, 14:59
Dropping and engagement are two slightly different things.

Dropping is when baby descends to the pelvis which is not the same as baby engaging which is when the baby descends to the level of the ischial spines.

You women should know all this! us blokes don't learn this until the delivery room. Give me a break please :confused:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Our engagement cost me a fortune and my motorbike :crying2: not doing that again

Well! you shoulda kept the motor bike cos this baby's going to cost a whole lot more!!!;) Well worth it though!!!:respect:

ciderhunter
21-07-2012, 15:26
Try donating blood. They will tell you what your blood group is for nothing.

carpenter
21-07-2012, 15:51
I know that's the case in the UK, but I don't know about Spain. Where do I go and how long will it take? Thanks

KirstyJay
21-07-2012, 16:36
Try donating blood. They will tell you what your blood group is for nothing.

You can't donate blood in Spain if you have ever lived in the UK pre-1999. This is because of CJD.

Megaloo
21-07-2012, 18:40
You can't donate blood in Spain if you have ever lived in the UK pre-1999. This is because of CJD.

That is for sure two friends of mine went recently to donate on my behalf and were refused because of their residence in the UK . Told they will take German French or Dutch but not English although I believe Germany had CJD?

KirstyJay
21-07-2012, 18:56
That is for sure two friends of mine went recently to donate on my behalf and were refused because of their residence in the UK . Told they will take German French or Dutch but not English although I believe Germany had CJD?I was a regular donator in the UK. I donated 3 times a year, as do all my family. I was gutted when I was told I couldn't here. It seems such a waste. :( I wonder how long they have to wait before it's safe to take blood from Brits then? It's been over 10 years since the last outbreak of CJD...

Jackie
21-07-2012, 19:22
Does it have to be an outbreak though Kirsty? My OH's Mum got CJD in Queens Hospital in Romford only 4 years ago!

That's my 'local' hospital in the UK Sue lol.......people are scared to go in there for even minor things it is an awful place :(

Megaloo
21-07-2012, 19:33
Does it have to be an outbreak though Kirsty? My OH's Mum got CJD in Queens Hospital in Romford only 4 years ago!

Not disputing what you are saying,but I did not think CJD was caught in hospital? But I stand to be corrected. I know some hospitals have got bad names for MRSA and I believe that is one of them as a friend of mine lives near there and she told me.

Kirsty both of my friends that went to give blood for me were regular donors in the UK and took all their documents with them and they just flatly refused, fortunately I had a couple of Canarian friends that went.

Megaloo
21-07-2012, 20:17
So sorry to hear learn something all the time always thought it was to do with eating infected meat, but obviously there are other causes . That is dreadful to happen.

Suej
21-07-2012, 20:22
So sorry to hear learn something all the time always thought it was to do with eating infected meat, but obviously there are other causes . That is dreadful to happen.

Actually Megaloo I might owe you an apology! It might have been C Diff? I'm going to have to check with OH's Sis as he doesn't know which one it was! :confused:

caroll72
21-07-2012, 20:48
Don't know if this is of any help to you, carpenter, as i'm going back to the 80's now when my son was born.
The previous year, i had a miscarriage. They told me it was because my blood cells rejected my husbands blood, which meant that the baby i lost would have had my husbands blood group.
I'm O negative, which is pretty rare, apparently (maybe your wife is the same?).

The hospital gave me a ' ANTI D' injection. I was told that this injection prevents my blood cells rejecting my husbands in future, thus preventing any further miscarriage. My husbands blood group was 'positive', obviously, being the opposite of negative, which seemed to be the problem.
It worked, and i gave birth to a healthy son the following year.
Don't know if this is relevant to your situation, or helps in any way. But all the best to you both.

Suej
21-07-2012, 21:05
That's my 'local' hospital in the UK Sue lol.......people are scared to go in there for even minor things it is an awful place :(

Same goes for OH's family they would rather go to Whipps instead tbh! Sorry Jackie I have deleted my posts as I'm sure now that she got infected with C Diff at Queens!

deepdivejunkie
21-07-2012, 21:15
carpenter
I wanted to know my blood group for a card to carry in my wallet, a few years ago. Make an appointment with your own doctor and tell them that you want to know your own blood group. They will give you an appointment to have your blood taken. You will get the result at your doctors a week later. This is what I did. Totally free. None of this paying 30 or 40€ at K Whittaker nonsense!

carpenter
21-07-2012, 21:16
Don't know if this is of any help to you, carpenter, as i'm going back to the 80's now when my son was born.
The previous year, i had a miscarriage. They told me it was because my blood cells rejected my husbands blood, which meant that the baby i lost would have had my husbands blood group.
I'm O negative, which is pretty rare, apparently (maybe your wife is the same?).

The hospital gave me a ' ANTI D' injection. I was told that this injection prevents my blood cells rejecting my husbands in future, thus preventing any further miscarriage. My husbands blood group was 'positive', obviously, being the opposite of negative, which seemed to be the problem.
It worked, and i gave birth to a healthy son the following year.
Don't know if this is relevant to your situation, or helps in any way. But all the best to you both.

This is very similar what I said in the OP, I need to find out what group I am because of that future miscarriage risk. Steph is B+ and I'm pretty sure I'm not.
The injection is not standard practice here so I need to shove the blood groups under their noses to make sure Steph gets that injection within 24hrs of childbirth, so there is a much lower risk of her body rejecting our 2nd child.

Suej
21-07-2012, 21:31
This is very similar what I said in the OP, I need to find out what group I am because of that future miscarriage risk. Steph is B+ and I'm pretty sure I'm not.
The injection is not standard practice here so I need to shove the blood groups under their noses to make sure Steph gets that injection within 24hrs of childbirth, so there is a much lower risk of her body rejecting our 2nd child.

I would just go to Doc Whittaker on Monday and find out a.s.a.p! When is Steph actually due? do you have time to waste? Remember in August everything slows up here carpenter!

carpenter
21-07-2012, 21:39
carpenter
I wanted to know my blood group for a card to carry in my wallet, a few years ago. Make an appointment with your own doctor and tell them that you want to know your own blood group. They will give you an appointment to have your blood taken. You will get the result at your doctors a week later. This is what I did. Totally free. None of this paying 30 or 40€ at K Whittaker nonsense!

That's great info thanks, I'll make an appointment first thing Monday with my doc, if they can't help for whatever reason I'll call K Whitaker immediately afterwards. Thank everyone.
I'll post how I did it as an update and how long it took

deepdivejunkie
21-07-2012, 22:15
carpenter
Make an appointment with your doctor now, do it online. Just in-case there is nothing available Monday

http://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/sanidad/scs/gc/18/Cita_Previa/index.html

Good luck

carpenter
21-07-2012, 22:27
carpenter
Make an appointment with your doctor now, do it online. Just in-case there is nothing available Monday

http://www3.gobiernodecanarias.org/sanidad/scs/gc/18/Cita_Previa/index.html

Good luck

Holy Christ that was easy, all done I'm booked in for Monday. What an amazing link. Thanks a million

Malteser Monkey
23-07-2012, 10:17
Holy Christ that was easy, all done I'm booked in for Monday. What an amazing link. Thanks a million

so how did it go ?

carpenter
23-07-2012, 10:48
so how did it go ?

They only had afternoon appointments available so I'm off there about 18.00.
That link was so easy. I didn't have to speak with a power crazy receptionist that doubts that you have the right to an audience with a doctor.
I just punched in my SS number and it gave me a drop down menu with a list of times available. Very simple.

Malteser Monkey
23-07-2012, 12:24
They only had afternoon appointments available so I'm off there about 18.00.
That link was so easy. I didn't have to speak with a power crazy receptionist that doubts that you have the right to an audience with a doctor.
I just punched in my SS number and it gave me a drop down menu with a list of times available. Very simple.

Blimey that's easier than here - although in London you can book online now