PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experience of Hertz car rental through Ryan Air?

twotees
22-07-2012, 10:01
As the title says really! Has anyone any good/bad experiences? Flying out tomorrow :laugh::laugh: and thinking of renting a car. I used GoldCar last time, and got stung on the whole 'full tank of petrol' thing, not to mention the extra insurance.:(

And although I browse the forum regularly, this is my first post, so please be gentle with me :pray:

wigjam
22-07-2012, 10:17
As the title says really! Has anyone any good/bad experiences? Flying out tomorrow :laugh::laugh: and thinking of renting a car. I used GoldCar last time, and got stung on the whole 'full tank of petrol' thing, not to mention the extra insurance.:(

And although I browse the forum regularly, this is my first post, so please be gentle with me :pray:

I hied via Ryan air recently and although the basic cost is good you still pay petrol and insurance extra.
Auto Reisen are generally the best option or some of the local companies near where you stay. You can see what you are paying for then.

Balcony
22-07-2012, 10:19
Hertz is a regular rental company. The cars are, generally, newer and they have the backup to help in the event of a problem. You should get a reasonable price through Ryanair, but it's always worth checking what deals you could get booking direct.

If you got stung on petrol re-fuelling charges then remember to fill the car before returning it. It's pretty standard practise with large rental companies. Small local companies usually have a few litres in the tank and ask you to leave it at the same level when returning it, but rarely would charge. Remember with the larger companies you're not paying for the fuel alone, but paying a "refuelling charge",

twotees
22-07-2012, 12:01
Thanks

The petrol sting was having to pay for a full tank on pick up, and return it empty. My fault, didn't check the small print!

fixer
22-07-2012, 13:08
Most off us use autoriesen cars not as good as hertz but never had a problem there cheaper and you just bring the car back with same amount that was in the tank when picked up no pressure to take extra insurance have used hertz and there ok.David

golf birdie
22-07-2012, 13:27
when ever I go to the UK I use Hertz and would never use anyone else. New cars and great service, worth any extra IMO. I never pay for the tank of petrol, just return it full and I take insurance out with http://www.worldwideinsure.com/car-hire-insurance.htm to cover any excess.

slodgedad
22-07-2012, 20:23
Why book a car through Ryan Air?

Book separately and you'll always get a better deal.

Flights----Ryanair

Everything else.....Search.

Theses deals are offered to make it easier for you, but not your pocket.

bonitatime
23-07-2012, 13:23
You usually get a better deal booking throught the Ryanair site and I have been known to do it even if I wasn't flying with them

golf birdie
23-07-2012, 13:38
You usually get a better deal booking throught the Ryanair site and I have been known to do it even if I wasn't flying with them

that is correct. I was quoted over 100 pounds extra for the same car by going direct to Hertz. It's a hell of a deal RA has with Hertz.

curriegirl
23-07-2012, 13:49
I have tried them all over the years and found that CICAR have been the best. Newish cars, on site at airport, and everything included even a second driver.
They also give discount to previous customers.
Hertz cars were very badly scratched and old.
Record cars was a just a joke.
Avis really expensive.

Megaloo
23-07-2012, 14:41
I have tried them all over the years and found that CICAR have been the best. Newish cars, on site at airport, and everything included even a second driver.
They also give discount to previous customers.
Hertz cars were very badly scratched and old.
Record cars was a just a joke.
Avis really expensive.

We also used to use Cicar when coming here on holiday very reliable and good cars, we always also found that if we booked in advance we were also upgraded to a bigger car, so learnt to book a lower grade and got what we wanted on arrival. the price you see is what you pay no hidden extras.

karinagal
23-07-2012, 17:51
I've had excellent prices the last couple of trips using Autoreisen at the airport. No extras, bring it back with the same amount of fuel and extra driver at no extra cost. Never had a problem and excellent prices - just paid 117€ for 10 days hire..

The undisputed queen of de-nial

KirstyJay
24-07-2012, 16:56
If you were going to use Hertz, I'd be inclined to check out the direct prices rather than going through Ryanair as it may be cheaper. :)

bonitatime
27-07-2012, 13:51
If you were going to use Hertz, I'd be inclined to check out the direct prices rather than going through Ryanair as it may be cheaper. :)

I actually usually find it the other way around surprisingly

twotees
27-07-2012, 18:24
Thanks for the responses. I have just got back from 5 lovely days on the Island, but didn't hire a car in the end - TITSA adventures instead!!! Am coming back in 2 weeks with all the family, so will look at all suggested places.

Thanks again :)

mike40ugs
14-09-2013, 20:14
Ryanair say that you get discounted Hertz rental prices through their website.
I have just found it cheaper to book directly through Hertz UK. The Ryanair deal, which I have now cancelled, also required me to pay for a full tank of fuel and return the car empty (how?)

minimadmandy
14-09-2013, 22:12
We have hired cars direct at the airport several times always with Autoreisen. Last Christmas we left it too late and nothing left so went with Hertz. Extra insurance they insist you take out is a rip off and cars no better. I wouldn't say that Autoreisen have the best cars in the word but that depends on what category you go for and what you pay. However that have always been very reasonable price wise and let you have child booster seats free if you need them. Out Hertz car was certainly not superior, still full of dents! Once, with Autoseisen we got a puncture and despite our best efforts could not get the wheel nuts undone, made the call and they arrived 20 mins later with a new car and swapped them. I thought they would just send someone to swap the tyre! Now we make sure we always book the car early so we don't have to use anyone else again. They also have a local office near Los Cristianos/Las Americas merging area that we have used as well when we only needed car for a few days and not from the Airport.

mike40ugs
14-09-2013, 23:11
My experience of Ryanair and Hertz is in Italy.
It may be different in Teneriffe but always read the terms and conditions carefully

Angusjim
15-09-2013, 08:08

Good thing about hiring cars thru Ryanair is that you will always arrive early to your destination:lol::c2:

barryk
15-09-2013, 10:22
It looks like it is typical Ryanair, low start price, looks good value and on go the extras. Looks like the RA contract with Hertz is differnt to the normal Hertz contract

The full-empty policy applies to cars booked through RA not the normal full-full. That usually means you have to pay at least 75euros for a tank of gas.

Also are you likely to do about 350 miles on Tenerife. Thats not an holiday.

As stated Autoreisen are the best, paid last week 69 euro for seven days hire booking advance and check prices regulary after booking, they do go down.

Then just re book and cancel the original booking on the same form.

The cars are not the best on the Island, but who cares, most cars in Spain have a good selection of dents, they can be old and some high milers but all the cars I have rented have been ok.

Last car I had just put 10 euros of petrol in to return to the level on collection. Total cost 79 euro for the week., cheaper than a couple of taxi transfers and the convienience of havig a runabout on call

Barryk

bonitatime
19-09-2013, 09:58
I have actually always found them to be a good deal on the mainland. I have been known to use the link even when we didn't fly with them

stanjohn
19-09-2013, 10:39
i personally had no problems with hertz.car from airport to puerto. and reverse one day hires.

Chayofa Tete
20-09-2013, 09:28
Used them once at Aeropuerta Sur and they were okaybut have used Auto Reisen since.