PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for a new national anthem in Britain?

Margaretta
22-07-2012, 18:01
Talking GB. We have had great success with the Diamond Jubilee and today's Tour de France. We are hoping for some Olympic wins.
I'm proud of our Monarchy and our achievements but really, our National Anthem is dire. It's boring, repetitive, very old-fashioned and inappropriate to our general sense of fun and pride.
Does anyone agree that it's time for a new one?

warbey
22-07-2012, 20:19
In a multicultural Nation like Ours, I cannot answer.

slodgedad
22-07-2012, 20:43
I have always thought that 'Land of Hope and Glory', played at the Proms was a more fitting anthem, and one people would connect with.

deepdivejunkie
22-07-2012, 21:16
There is this one I saw on You Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzIEnL8FxUE

TenerifePool
23-07-2012, 01:48
I have always thought that 'Land of Hope and Glory', played at the Proms was a more fitting anthem, and one people would connect with.

Whilst the music of Land of Hope and Glory is uplifting, the lyrics are quite colonistic and imperialistic.

How about Jerusalem?

Or maybe as Billy Conoly once suggested, the themetune from The Archers...

Malteser Monkey
23-07-2012, 10:14
Or maybe as Billy Conoly once suggested, the themetune from The Archers...

Bottoms ! you beat me to it !

http://youtu.be/i9nnnM-__JQ

LUCKY
23-07-2012, 11:42
Talking GB. We have had great success with the Diamond Jubilee and today's Tour de France. We are hoping for some Olympic wins.
I'm proud of our Monarchy and our achievements but really, our National Anthem is dire. It's boring, repetitive, very old-fashioned and inappropriate to our general sense of fun and pride.
Does anyone agree that it's time for a new one? Blimey dont think they will learn the new words by Friday for the opening ceremony of the olympic games so dont think now is the time we have enough problems with G4S

chifleta
23-07-2012, 15:29
the lady warbling at the Tour de France win was agonizing hahahaha

carpenter
23-07-2012, 19:54
Rule Britannia all the way for me for I shall never never be a slave ha ha

Despite the dodgy versus this is so much more uplifting than LOHAG and the present muck Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves.......

LeFrunk
23-07-2012, 20:14
As im an Irishman i dont know if my view on this subject will count , i agree that the present anthem is a bit boring but the Rule Britannia sounds much better. I think the French anthem is class if you dont mind me saying .

Margaretta
24-07-2012, 23:54
Yes, with you there, Le Frunk. Le Marseillaise is really rousing and a battle song but fun to sing.

davship
25-07-2012, 09:50
Does anyone agree that it's time for a new one?

For the olympics we should use the tune the stormtroopers use on starwars it would frighten everyone to death. But i do agree the current anthem is boring we should use something more up lifting. Perhaps if Prince Charles does the honourable thing and steps aside allowing William and Kate to inherit the throne we might have something better.