PDA

View Full Version : Other Can I use Euro travellers cheques to pay for our apartment on arrival in Tenerife?

jolfc
23-07-2012, 05:52
if i buy the euro travellers cheques in the u.k can i use them like cash to pay for our apartment on arrival if they accept them. also would there be any commision charge on them in the u.k when buying them and if i had for example 1000 euro in travellers cheques would it be like a 1000 euros in cash, :confused: i do not really want that much cash on me during the journey, so i thought this may work. i know i could use a credit card but i think i pay handling fees etc, also i like to have some availibility on the card in case of emergency, :) hopefully i have explained well enough for a kind person to be able to help with an answer,many thanks.

Balcony
23-07-2012, 10:54
You will already have paid charges when you purchased any travellers cheques, so on use there will not be further charges at your home bank.

Your practical difficulty would be, as I see it, in finding establishments in Tenerife that accept the cheques.

jolfc
23-07-2012, 11:08
You will already have paid charges when you purchased any travellers cheques, so on use there will not be further charges at your home bank.

Your practical difficulty would be, as I see it, in finding establishments in Tenerife that accept the cheques.

are the euro ones not accepted as readily as sterling ones?

golf birdie
23-07-2012, 13:19
lots of places will not change them since a lot of forgeries were passed in Tenerife a couple of years back and if they do they will charge. Shops will not take them.

Megaloo
10-08-2012, 21:12
I know of friends here arriving from Scotland a couple of days ago they have with them American Express sterling travellers cheques and cannot change them anywhere here in the North. After telephoning the Conuslate office who said try airports a friend took them to the North Aiport to see if there was an exchange place there but there is not now, when speaking to information desk there who were very helpful they telephoned various places and apparently there is only one place now in Los Cristianos who will change them which is useless for someone here in the North. So warn folks do not bring travellers cheques.

fixer
10-08-2012, 21:38
I use a caxton fx pre loaded card look here http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/ there are no fees for using this card and can be used in most tenerife atms.

timmylish
11-08-2012, 00:39
I have found this page which seems to suggest better use of Amex T/c,s although, personally, I have recommeded NOT to use Cheques for years now. The only people who seem to benefit from their issue is,

wait for it,

American Express! What a surprise.

jolfc
11-08-2012, 10:15
just an update, we bought travellers cheques in the end as i did have card back up if there were any problems. just been to a place called red arrow opposite vistasur apartments and just up from surfers and cashed my £100 travellers cheques with no problems at all. also the staff were very nice. so no need for me too worry as i have found somewhere now. :jumping:

just to add they are sterling cheques.

AL JAY
11-08-2012, 10:31
Glad you are sorted now jo, red arrow is a forum member but i haven't seen him post for a while! You can relax now and enjoy your holiday:sunbathe::cheers::surfer::beach:

Megaloo
11-08-2012, 14:18
Glad you have been sorted, but my friends haven't as there is no where here in the North so far who will change them. banks exchange places just nowhere unless they travel South.

jolfc
11-08-2012, 17:44
Glad you have been sorted, but my friends haven't as there is no where here in the North so far who will change them. banks exchange places just nowhere unless they travel South.

i hope they soon get sorted it is a long way to travel down to the south to change them. :(

jolfc
02-06-2013, 12:43
Glad you are sorted now jo, red arrow is a forum member but i haven't seen him post for a while! You can relax now and enjoy your holiday:sunbathe::cheers::surfer::beach:

We are going to be coming to Tenerife on 15/08 can anyone tell me if red arrow is still there. I am hoping it has not relocated as they were very helpful last year when we used them. If red arrow reads this post can you let me know if we can still bring sterling travellers cheques to you for cashing,:)
Many thanks for any help in advance, :tiphat:

BobMac
02-06-2013, 20:24
We are going to be coming to Tenerife on 15/08 can anyone tell me if red arrow is still there. I am hoping it has not relocated as they were very helpful last year when we used them. If red arrow reads this post can you let me know if we can still bring sterling travellers cheques to you for cashing,:)

He is still there but a couple of doors along from where he used to be.

He doesn't come on the Forum a lot now.

Sunlover
02-06-2013, 22:07
We take sterling traveller's cheques every year and have never had any problems in cashing them in the south. Any of the exchange booths have cashed them, the most favourable one last year being the big excursion place on the main road near the La Nina Hotel (next door to a property place).

slodgedad
03-06-2013, 01:41

He is still there but a couple of doors along from where he used to be.

He doesn't come on the Forum a lot now.

Why not PM him. In that way, even if he doesn't come on here he will be notified in his Email.

jolfc
03-06-2013, 13:15
Thank you peeps for your help, :) I shall send him a p.m.

jolfc
24-08-2013, 10:53
A quick update I sent Red Arrow a pm as suggested and got a reply to say sterling cheques were fine. Just been to Red Arrow and changed my travellers cheques, :jumping:
Once again very friendly service, thank you to the couple in the shop. We shall call again.

marbro8
24-08-2013, 11:03
A quick update I sent Red Arrow a pm as suggested and got a reply to say sterling cheques were fine. Just been to Red Arrow and changed my travellers cheques, :jumping:
Once again very friendly service, thank you to the couple in the shop. We shall call again.jess and bob;)

jolfc
24-08-2013, 12:06
Thanks, I did think I heard the name Bob mentioned, :) I did not post it though in case I had misheard...

slodgedad
24-08-2013, 15:53
I do love it when OPs come on and report how they got on with advice or recommendations given. Cheers jolfc

jolfc
13-07-2014, 11:39
My yearly question......
Can anyone tell me if the shop still there please as I don't think the man I messaged last year comes on the forum anymore. Many thanks.

BobMac
13-07-2014, 18:16
If you mean Red Arrow, he's still there.

You can contact them through their website - www.tenerifeexcursion.com or if you have Facebook account, look up Bob Gant.

bonitatime
15-07-2014, 06:40
They are still there

kingbaker
15-07-2014, 09:34
Why would anyone use travellers cheques in the EU? Particularly in the eurozone with modern debit cards and atms everywhere!

I remember using these cheques for Punts, Pounds, Marks, Franks.
Glad thats over!!
It was a massive pain in the ass!!!!:p:D:D:D:confused:;):p:confused::D;):p:conf used::D;)

Ecky Thump
15-07-2014, 09:42
i do not really want that much cash on me during the journey, so i thought this may work. i know i could use a credit card but i think i pay handling fees etc, also i like to have some availibility on the card in case of emergency, :) hopefully i have explained well enough for a kind person to be able to help with an answer,many thanks.

I would forget the idea of buying travellers checks, give some thought to getting a Euro debit card from CaxtonFx, there are no charges made for using it in restaurants, hotels etc. or if you make cash withdrawals from ATM's in Tenerife.