PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat How can we get rid of stray cats on our complex legally?

seppe
25-07-2012, 14:56
Hi all,

Many cats without owner are living in our communidad (Tenerife south).
Any advice on how to get rid of them in a legal way?
Thanks

carpenter
25-07-2012, 15:55
Get a dog.....

Mia
25-07-2012, 15:58
First of all make sure nobody on the complex is feeding them or even leaving food or water outside for their own pets which the feral cats will obviously find and keep coming back for more.

I do not know of any legal way to get rid of them but if there is nothing for them to eat or drink they will go elsewhere.

It is difficult to make some people realise the by feeling sorry for them and feeding them they are only creating a problem - "Potential Vermin"

carpenter
25-07-2012, 16:01
Sorry couldn't resist.
Why do you think the cats are there, is someone feeding them, are they neutered? Check there ears to see if they've been clipped.

You can try contacting Cats Aid who did run a capture neuter and release program.
There's other tales such as used tea bags and high pitch noises that the cats don't like.

seppe
28-07-2012, 17:38
Thank you, but we have so many short-term tourist tennents who dont bother, especially when they have kids.
I was thinking about having them catched and send to the cat heaven in a animal friendly way.
Any advice?

Pets@Home
28-07-2012, 22:52
Please ring cats welfare ........ 662 524 006

carol & steve
29-07-2012, 00:39
Thank you, but we have so many short-term tourist tennents who dont bother, especially when they have kids.
I was thinking about having them catched and send to the cat heaven in a animal friendly way.
Any advice?

Please don't do that......I'm sure this a better solution than that.:pray:

Suej
29-07-2012, 14:09
Any advice?

With respect to the OP. Well I hope you could live with that on your conscience! and I don't think that people who could kill a living breathing animal and say "well they are only stray cats" could call themselves Animal lovers! The main problem lies with the authorities who should support the neutering programmes to eventually significantly reduce the numbers of stray and feral cats on the Island! but that help is not forthcoming! I suggest instead of killing just a few cats that are not wanted on your community, donate a small amount to one of the Cat charities so they can keep the neutering campaign going! Thankyou!

http://cats-welfare-tenerife.com/index.php?main=data/blocks/funding.html

http://www.cats-aid.com/

LeFrunk
29-07-2012, 14:40
I dont like cats at all im a dog lover but i dont believe in killing them . If you can catch them , bring them to one of the charities that deal with them , ie , neuter them . no need to do them in .

John Beck
29-07-2012, 18:24
Look for "Cat Repeller" on ebay.

Lots to chose from.

YOUNG GOLFER
29-07-2012, 19:28
Well you can try and contact some of the links provided by members and i am sure the charities will do their very best......but i can tell you that money does not grow on trees and things are very tight right now after talking to one of these guys this week.
Us humans are the main problem there are so many strays here in Tenerife on the streets or hanging around complexes why not contact these cat charities and donate a little something to help these guys who all work free of charge.
TNR is the way forward not killing the animals.

Pets@Home
29-07-2012, 19:46
How about we send u to bloody "cat heaven" they will sort u out!
You dont put something like that on this Forum, which is noteably a
Pro Animal Welfare site, the charities work endless hours trying to sort
the neutering and stray cat problem with some strays getting
homes and everything, best not comment again eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you will upset me and others like me .............

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

sorry directed at the originator of this thread no one else x

warbey
29-07-2012, 20:05
I have read this Thread and assumed that Someone from another Culture has taken the trouble

to post a Polite enquiry about suggestions to try and control the Numbers of Strays at that Location.

This, to Me, compliments those involved with Cat's welfare, the Status of this Forum, and the Poster's a concerns are laudible..

Time will tell......maybe.

Suej
29-07-2012, 20:14
I have read this Thread and assumed that Someone from another Culture has taken the trouble

to post a Polite enquiry about suggestions to try and control the Numbers of Strays at that Location.

This, to Me, compliments those involved with Cat's welfare, the Status of this Forum, and the Poster's a concerns are laudible..

Time will tell......maybe.

It may or may not be so that the poster is from another culture! killing a few cats on one complex is not the answer! so it's best to put the OP straight on the massive problem that we have here and show them the way forward.

Cat Woman
30-07-2012, 20:51
Its good to have a few neutered and spayed cats on a complex and at the hotels, they keep the virmin away. If the cats are "got rid of" more will take their place and then they will need to be neutered and spayed. I have have hundreds of cats (and a few dogs) neutered and spayed since I set up Cats Welfare and in all the years before I became a registered charity. Now, many hotels and complexes understand that a few neutered and spayed cats are ok to have around, they don't breed, they don't fight over females and as I said, they keep the virmin away.
SueJ is correct, money is very tight, donations have dropped. Whatever we have in the "kitty" we spend on cats, having them neutered, spayed, treated for illnesses and feeding the many colonies we look after. If any hotels or complexes need to have the cats neutered and spayed please contact me through my website, I can help, but I do need a donation towards the cats as we don't have much money, perhaps a collection at the hotel/complex? We will help as much as we can, but as Young Golfer pointed out, money doesnt grow on trees. We do get the cats done at a discounted price because we are a Charity.
Cats Welfare is a registered Charity but we do not get any financial help, except for donations from collection tins, in Paypal and second hand books we sell on the market, although that has dropped quite a lot this year.
As soon as we move to a bigger place with land, (we are still looking) we will be able to take in more cats. Then we will open a charity shop, (the last one fell through) which will hopefully enable us to raise more money and help lots more cats. Sharon.

jack oakley
30-07-2012, 21:53
Any advice?

Yes, send the irrisponsible owners to cat heaven in an unfriendly way along with the idiots who believe that cats are pestulent. The cats didn't ask to be left alone to fend for themselves they are creatures who have feelings and loved the "owners" who bought or aquired and then abandoned them. If they are nuetered they pose no real problems , ferrel cats are able to fend for themselves to a certain degree, abandoned domestic cats can't, i am sure that there will be some members of your community that will have the compassion and the decency to feed and water them and they should be allowed to without question or redress. Without cats your community would be over-run by rats (both 2 legged and 4 legged ones). Seek advise from a genuine animal rescue or charity, they may not be able to take the cats but they will help you to understand how to manage them. Heaven is a place for all Gods creatures great and small, one thought to remember, the doorperson just might be a cat.... Jack.O

BoPeep
31-07-2012, 21:57
I suggest give them food and water as payment for keeping the rats away and when they are tame enough catch them and neuter them and put them back on their home territory. Then continue to feed and water.

After a few years there are very few left, tried and tested in Tenerife!

admin35
28-05-2013, 12:29
How cruel, I felt I had to join the site just to comment, these cats have a right to live just like anything else if everyone felt like you these poor animals would die of starvation, instead of what you suggest why don't you get in touch with an animal sanctuary and see if they can help. I wonder if you would do the same if it were dogs. SHAME ON YOU I CAN'T STAND ANIMAL CRUELTY

andy pandy
28-05-2013, 20:56
I ahve just returned from a month in Tenerife. I saw several stray cats and I fell in love with one of them. She was beautiful and very friendly. She used to come twice a day for food and get cuddles. We knew she was a stray as she had a piece out of her ear. We were going to take her back with us to the UK as we are animal lovers but one morning we found her on the pavement outside the complex and unfortunately she had been hit with a bus or car. We were very upset as you can imagine. My husband arranged to have her buried. We will always think of her. Give an animal love and you will be rewarded over and over again. They didn't ask to be born and they have to fend for themselves. It doesn't cost much to feed a cat. We also have 3 rescued dogs that were dumped when we lived on Cyprus...... another country that is cruel to animals........and we wouldn't part with them either. The animal charities are excellent so come on folks help these poor animals and the charities and stop saying nasty things about the animals.

slodgedad
28-05-2013, 21:03
How cruel, I felt I had to join the site just to comment, these cats have a right to live just like anything else if everyone felt like you these poor animals would die of starvation, instead of what you suggest why don't you get in touch with an animal sanctuary and see if they can help. I wonder if you would do the same if it were dogs. SHAME ON YOU I CAN'T STAND ANIMAL CRUELTY
In what way is the post before yours cruel?

sundownersvince
28-05-2013, 22:59
None of the posts are cruel. Some people dont want hordes of cats roaming around thats all. The OP was asking for advice not abuse. Wake up.

admin35
29-05-2013, 11:12
This wasn't the post I was referring to it was the lady that wanted to put all off the cats down that were on her complex, don't know why my reply ended up being in the

place.

None of the posts are cruel. Some people dont want hordes of cats roaming around thats all. The OP was asking for advice not abuse. Wake up.

I don't need to wake up I'm wide awake to the cruel people that don't help these animals, why doesn't the whole complex do something about it they wouldn't be left like that in the uk, she was requesting that they all be put down. They need help and if all of the people that live at this complex get together the problem will lessen.