PDA

View Full Version : Over-sensitivity and censorship

carpenter
25-07-2012, 15:24
There are words such as the "F" word the "C" word and when talking about colour there is the "N" word and the "P" word.

But as I've just found out there is another "P" word banned from this forum. This word is commonly used to describe the less than honest Travelling community.

Now in my experience these people have brought nothing but shame on themselves and fear to the areas to which they invade. The work they do is substandard, the tax dodging and benefit claiming is rife. They have a low opinion of women quite often beat there women and others if they get in the way. They have no respect for the law or any law abiding citizen.

Now it is wrong to use this word when talking about the common Irishman because it is extremely derogatory but it is nonetheless a word that describes a particular low life percentage of the travelling community so why is it banned?

It's no different to calling someone a Scouser or Geordie or Cockney because these are particular groups within the English community.

So Forum mods if this word is deemed unacceptable can we please ban

Ang Moh
Limey
Pommy
Rosbif/Rosbeef
Rooinek, Khaki, Soutie
Island Apes
John Bull
Tommy
Redcoat
Suddo, Ingrisikarayo

As I take offence to these words used by Non Brits to describe us

Malteser Monkey
25-07-2012, 15:41
Blimey - I haven't heard hardly any of those just the Aussie ones

oh then best ban the one for the Welsh "Sheep S" :agree:

Tom & Sharon
25-07-2012, 16:32
There are words such as the "F" word the "C" word and when talking about colour there is the "N" word and the "P" word.

But as I've just found out there is another "P" word banned from this forum. This word is commonly used to describe the less than honest Travelling community.

Now in my experience these people have brought nothing but shame on themselves and fear to the areas to which they invade. The work they do is substandard, the tax dodging and benefit claiming is rife. They have a low opinion of women quite often beat there women and others if they get in the way. They have no respect for the law or any law abiding citizen.

Now it is wrong to use this word when talking about the common Irishman because it is extremely derogatory but it is nonetheless a word that describes a particular low life percentage of the travelling community so why is it banned?

It's no different to calling someone a Scouser or Geordie or Cockney because these are particular groups within the English community.

Ang Moh
Limey
Pommy
Rosbif/Rosbeef
Rooinek, Khaki, Soutie
Island Apes
John Bull
Tommy
Redcoat
Suddo, Ingrisikarayo

Quite agree. We got told off by Doreen once when Tom used it. I think she said they were an ethnic group or something daft. B******s. True Romany's might just about qualify, but not P***ys, that term refers as you say to a lying, thieving, scumbag, good for nothing underclass.

Anyway, I'll let Tom comment because he doesn't think of them in as good a light as me!

He's away though working, and hasn't got much internet time, so it might not be today.

Tom absolutely hates them with a vengeance

carpenter
25-07-2012, 16:37
Quite agree. We got told off by Doreen once when Tom used it. I think she said they were an ethnic group or something daft. B******s. True Romany's might just about qualify, but not P***ys, that term refers as you say to a lying, thieving, scumbag, good for nothing underclass.

Anyway, I'll let Tom comment because he doesn't think of them in as good a light as me!

He's away though working, and hasn't got much internet time, so it might not be today.

Tom absolutely hates them with a vengeance

Pretty strong words nonetheless Sharon. I can't wait for Tom's input, try to keep it clean though eh!

garlicbread
25-07-2012, 16:38

Ang Moh
Limey
Pommy
Rosbif/Rosbeef
Rooinek, Khaki, Soutie
Island Apes
John Bull
Tommy
Redcoat
Suddo, Ingrisikarayo

I think you missed off "chippies"

carpenter
25-07-2012, 16:41

GB you were the worst for censorship so it'll be interesting to see how you vote

Malteser Monkey
25-07-2012, 16:58

:c2: good one ! I had to think for a mo tho !

admin
25-07-2012, 17:59

Ang Moh
Limey
Pommy
Rosbif/Rosbeef
Rooinek, Khaki, Soutie
Island Apes
John Bull
Tommy
Redcoat
Suddo, Ingrisikarayo

Whether you think it should be allowed or not is not really the point. It was banned because we received complaints that the word was being used in a derogatory fashion to insult other members, and it was - so it was banned. However, as per the T&Cs, the moderation of this forum is not really up for discussion. :)

This thread is dangerously close already to becoming discriminatory and insulting towards sections of society, and if people continue to post hate comments, then the mods will be forced to close it. So, keep it nice folks :)

junglejim
25-07-2012, 18:08
What about us Jock's, Tims, Taigs and Huns? :redcard::jumping::lol:

sunseeker
25-07-2012, 18:11

what do they even mean?

junglejim
25-07-2012, 18:33
That's what google's for! :wink:

Malteser Monkey
25-07-2012, 19:10

what do they even mean?

cheapskates tightar@@@@:spin::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::tongue: ooops only joking:scared:

carpenter
25-07-2012, 19:42
Whether you think it should be allowed or not is not really the point. It was banned because we received complaints that the word was being used in a derogatory fashion to insult other members, and it was - so it was banned. However, as per the T&Cs, the moderation of this forum is not really up for discussion. :)

This thread is dangerously close already to becoming discriminatory and insulting towards sections of society, and if people continue to post hate comments, then the mods will be forced to close it. So, keep it nice folks :)

It's always my intention to keep it nice,
This is precisely my point though, it is a derogatory term because of the people it describes so if it's not being used in a derogatory fashion then the word itself isn't harmful, merely descriptive.

If I was to say one woman looked like or acted like a whore that would be an insult, but if I said another woman (a prostitute) was a whore that would be ok wouldn't it?

So I appreciate your reply but I still do not believe that the word in the title is all that bad, and to who ever complained I would really like to know their reasons for complaining. As Malteser Monkey said a Welsh person is often called a "sheep S*****" in jest, but in my own personal experience is rarely complained about. It comes down to the individual rising above the petty name calling and not moaning about it, and above all having a laugh.

TOTO 99
25-07-2012, 20:00
In everyday life we are free to call people whatever we wish. Of course that may have it's consequences.

On here there are rules that are made pretty clear from the offset. What is acceptable to one, might not be to another. In an attempt to avoid upsetting anyone we don't use certain words even if we use them commonly in conversation.

I personally have no difficulty whatsoever in sticking to the rules. If I want to mouth off there are plenty of places I can do it. If you can't get your point across on here without being derogatory then perhaps it's time to broaden one's vocabulary.

henry
25-07-2012, 20:03
i wasnīt going to post on here but ahh i guess i put my two cents in (if i can afford it with spain being trouble lol) well, for me i just donīt know why people talk normal and then start crussing when they talked. when i go out for a walk in los cristanos,las americas etc. gosh!! donīt they know any other words to use beside the bad ones. for me i donīt cruss aless iīm really upset it takes a while for me because iīm easy going. why canīt people i heard talking when they said the f word and such why canīt they said wow, or man etc. i guess they only know the bad words then talking normal. thatīs my two cents in oh!! as long as the word browski not bad iīm happy!! browski means pal even all my post ask any member if i ever curss when talking or posting all of them will said no, (i know better lol)

carpenter
25-07-2012, 20:13
In everyday life we are free to call people whatever we wish. Of course that may have it's consequences.

On here there are rules that are made pretty clear from the offset. What is acceptable to one, might not be to another. In an attempt to avoid upsetting anyone we don't use certain words even if we use them commonly in conversation.

I personally have no difficulty whatsoever in sticking to the rules. If I want to mouth off there are plenty of places I can do it. If you can't get your point across on here without being derogatory then perhaps it's time to broaden one's vocabulary.

Are you reading anything? It's describing a particular group of people. It's only derogatory if you use it with that intent. Can you please tell me the PC name for the people that that word describes? I don't think there is one.

Perhaps the less than honest Traveller types that come from Irish Traveller backgrounds that offer half a job for half the money, scare the hell out of communities when they invade and when they eventually leave it has cost the tax payer thousands in court fees and then clean up fees. That's a bit of a mouthful isn't it.

TOTO 99
25-07-2012, 20:19
Are you reading anything? It's not derogatory it's describing a particular group of people. It's only derogatory if you use it with that intent. Can you please tell me the PC name for the people that that word describes? I don't think there is one.

Perhaps the less than honest Traveller types that come from Irish Traveller backgrounds that offer half a job for half the money, scare the hell out of communities when they invade and when they eventually leave it has cost the tax payer thousands in court fees and then clean up fees. That's a bit of a mouthful isn't it.

Carpenter, I can read mate. I get the picture. You don't like them.Neither do I. So what?
Why would you feel the need to shout about it on a forum which asks you to tick a box agreeing not to do it?
It's inflammatory.

chifleta
25-07-2012, 20:26
Unfortunately the majority of us were brought up hearing all these "labels".... if we described an occurrence/incident to someone, we wouldn't say "there was a white man in the shop", but if they were black(can I say black nowadays?)/Indian(do I have to specify Hindu? who knows)/Chinese/Gypsy etc etc then for some reason it's ingrained that we state that persons creed/colour if it isn't the same as our own (i'm normally white as milk for example... would that be offensive? hmmm)...

I'm forever saying to my son, be careful what you say, you can't say this, you can't say that, don't be offensive, don't copy the accent - but every week it's different .... I do think sometimes we throw out derogatory comments without actually knowing for a fact that the person is actually e.g. a "p***y" or not, just because they are Irish and live in a caravan does that automatically make them a gypsy/alternative/traveller.... they might just be a nasty Irishman who happens to live for the time being in a caravan.... there are bad apples in every country/community :)

I swear like a trouper on many an occassion, although lately i've decided if I can give up heavy drinking, give up ciggies and lose lots of weight, well I might as well try and stop my potty mouth too.... it's a slower process than weight loss LOL

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i've re-read what I typed and the following "quote" from a popular 80's tv programme came into my head:

" Confused? you will be.... see next weeks thrilling episode of Soap" cue theme music LOL

pps I don't think it's a rude word like a swear word... but like most offensive titles, it does has it's place and here is not it....

carpenter
25-07-2012, 20:41
So what it gets brushed under the carpet? This came about because I wrote the word on another post and it was blanked out. I wasn't insulting anyone I tried to use it as a recommended way forward for people to get around paying for car ownership changeover tax as a joke.
I found it quite insulting that adults are censored this way and the fact this word has been banned after I ticked that box you speak of a bit out of order just because a couple of people complained. Instead of just banning it why can't members politely police each other. A bit like "Puppies for sale"

Unfortunately the majority of us were brought up hearing all these "labels".... if we described an occurrence/incident to someone, we wouldn't say "there was a white man in the shop", but if they were black(can I say black nowadays?)/Indian(do I have to specify Hindu? who knows)/Chinese/Gypsy etc etc then for some reason it's ingrained that we state that persons creed/colour if it isn't the same as our own (i'm normally white as milk for example... would that be offensive? hmmm)...

I'm forever saying to my son, be careful what you say, you can't say this, you can't say that, don't be offensive, don't copy the accent - but every week it's different .... I do think sometimes we throw out derogatory comments without actually knowing for a fact that the person is actually e.g. a "p***y" or not, just because they are Irish and live in a caravan does that automatically make them a gypsy/alternative/traveller.... they might just be a nasty Irishman who happens to live for the time being in a caravan.... there are bad apples in every country/community :)

I swear like a trouper on many an occassion, although lately i've decided if I can give up heavy drinking, give up ciggies and lose lots of weight, well I might as well try and stop my potty mouth too.... it's a slower process than weight loss LOL

i've re-read what I typed and the following "quote" from a popular 80's tv programme came into my head:

" Confused? you will be.... see next weeks thrilling episode of Soap" cue theme music LOL

pps I don't think it's a rude word like a swear word... but like most offensive titles, it does has it's place and here is not it....

Thanks for your opinion and not just telling me to shut up and obey the rules...... That means a lot

chifleta
25-07-2012, 21:22
So what it gets brushed under the carpet? This came about because I wrote the word on another post and it was blanked out. I wasn't insulting anyone I tried to use it as a recommended way forward for people to get around paying for car ownership changeover tax as a joke.
I found it quite insulting that adults are censored this way and the fact this word has been banned after I ticked that box you speak of a bit out of order just because a couple of people complained. Instead of just banning it why can't members politely police each other. A bit like "Puppies for sale"

Thanks for your opinion and not just telling me to shut up and obey the rules...... That means a lot

I wouldn't tell anyone to shut up lol unless I was trying to have a siesta ... but I do think that if we write on a public forum like this, albeit under the anonymity of a nickname, that we have to follow the rules of whoever runs this page, and if we don't like it, then tough titties .... it's just difficult nowadays to know what we can or can't say or what is right or wrong, I mean WHO decides? but as this isn't my forum, i'll follow the rules, and when I get fed up of things (which so far I haven't.... but then I was always was a goody goody following rules) then I'd not bother commenting or reading any more...

regarding brushing things under the carpet... I think sometimes people are scared to even pm someone if they think they've been rude/offensive and so go to the head honcho (ooops is that PC?) and at the end of the day, like I said, it's not our forum, so we have to agree with the rules put down and their decisions, then so be it ... cyber arguments are so old hat don't you think?! and sometimes two parties thing they are correct and don't back down and it drags on and on and on and on and on and on...... and on and on and on ... and in the end, we're all right/wrong/who cares LOL

Tom & Sharon
26-07-2012, 12:00
There are some hilarious definitions of p***ys here on Urban Dictionary, all true! -

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*****

The link doesn't work cos the forum stars out the relevant bit on the end. If you want to look just replace the stars in the URL with the relevant word, you know the one, the one beginning with "P" that us grown ups aren't allowed to say :nono::zzz:

carpenter
26-07-2012, 13:14
I've learnt something over the past 24hrs, and that is the use of Euphemisms in this day and age are not only expected but in this forums case insisted upon.

Now that I know that I shall continue on my merry way and post happy from now on.

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2012, 13:28
I've learnt something over the past 24hrs, and that is the use of Euphemisms in this day and age are not only expected but in this forums case insisted upon.

Now that I know that I shall continue on my merry way and post happy from now on.

Everyday's a learning day :cheeky:

tracy hampshire
26-07-2012, 20:50
in my humble opinion, it is not what you say it is the manner in which you say it, most things or slang terms for anybody said in a nasty way would be upsetting to that person, take the c word here, can be heard comming out of the mouths of babes , used as a greeting, or heard in a full blown argument, but i do agree the world, especially the uk, has gone mad on p c, a friend of mine went into a very expensive toy shop in york, a carrabean friend of hers wanted a gollywog ( made famous by robinsons jams) she was severly repremanded by the shop assistant & was told they are now called coloured stuffed toys, or some such name !!!! now whats that all about, bring back love thy neighbour on tv, thats when folk had a sense of humor .

yourneighbourdi
26-07-2012, 23:49
in my humble opinion, it is not what you say it is the manner in which you say it, most things or slang terms for anybody said in a nasty way would be upsetting to that person, take the c word here, can be heard comming out of the mouths of babes , used as a greeting, or heard in a full blown argument, but i do agree the world, especially the uk, has gone mad on p c, a friend of mine went into a very expensive toy shop in york, a carrabean friend of hers wanted a gollywog ( made famous by robinsons jams) she was severly repremanded by the shop assistant & was told they are now called coloured stuffed toys, or some such name !!!! now whats that all about, bring back love thy neighbour on tv, thats when folk had a sense of humor .

That was in the days when..
Gay.....meant happy
Charlie...was a perfume! Triangle bottle..remember it well.
Ordering coke in a bar meant you got a choice of Pepsi or Cola.
and your whole life didn't come to standstill if you lost a phone...
We had every Robertson's Golly playing instruments..my Daughter loved them..:)

Tom & Sharon
27-07-2012, 19:16
Love them to bits,never come across a more honest hard working bunch in my life,in my humble opinion

A credit to private car parks and private land the length and breadth of the UK.:liar:

Tom :tiphat:

DaveRF
27-07-2012, 19:23
To me it is not the words or terms used but the sentiment behind them. In the spoken word it is easy to interpret the sentiment meant. Not so easy with the written word and therein lies the dilemma for those moderating forums. My two cents.

carpenter
28-07-2012, 20:57
To me it is not the words or terms used but the sentiment behind them. In the spoken word it is easy to interpret the sentiment meant. Not so easy with the written word and therein lies the dilemma for those moderating forums. My two cents.

Thanks for you input, that's exactly what I mean. Where do you draw the line? Can you draw the line?
I said in a previous post you can't call a woman a whore as this would be insulting but it would be ok to call a prostitute a whore as this then becomes descriptive.

Other terms that fall into a similar category and open for interpretation would be. "A thieving Scally", "A Cockney conman" (which I've been called in jest) and "A West Country Bumpkin"

The world has gone PC mad but as it stands at the moment the votes show a very close poll and it shows that people are indeed offended by the P**ey word.

I have been called a bigot by another member on a different thread to which I must protest. I am not a bigot I have always listened to other peoples views and never gone into a discussion with blinkers on. I have apologised when I felt was necessary and left arguments when for the best.
I spend on average 5 mins writing and sending my posts because I believe in gut instinct (which is why I quite often edit my posts after a short time because I notice bad grammar or spelling).

I don't believe in wrapping people up in cotton wool and serving my medicine with a spoon full of sugar. Euphemisms are a sad fact of life. To say 3 words when 1 will do is my preferred way, some call it blunt, rude, offensive but you cannot deny it is truthful.

Jim is no longer with us = Jim's dead
Heavy boned = fat
She's expecting = pregnant

Swear words are often described by many as a lack in ones vocabulary. But this is nonsense. You show me the English equivalent of **** off and I'll happily use it! It certainly isn't Go Away!

My point is, some words just say something on their own that no amount of other words put together in a sentence come close to saying.
Thank you everyone for your posts. Keep em coming

chifleta
28-07-2012, 21:38
You show me the English equivalent of **** off and I'll happily use it! It certainly isn't Go Away!

Actually it's "go away in short sharp jerky movements" :neener::neener::neener:

marbro8
28-07-2012, 21:55
There are some hilarious definitions of p***ys here on Urban Dictionary, all true! -

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=*****

The link doesn't work cos the forum stars out the relevant bit on the end. If you want to look just replace the stars in the URL with the relevant word, you know the one, the one beginning with "P" that us grown ups aren't allowed to say :nono::zzz::rofl::rofl::rofl:

carpenter
28-07-2012, 22:17
Actually it's "go away in short sharp jerky movements" :neener::neener::neener:

Now that's a string of words that again don't come close to the original :raspberry:

We're in danger of becoming like American's now when people have to put "NOT" on the end of a sentence when indicating sarcasm.

Hey Jo that's a really nice jumper..... NarrrrrrrrrrrrrT! (long sounding not)

Velocette
29-07-2012, 12:18
I have not heard this word used in Ireland, there they use the term 'Knacker' for one or knackers for the plural'. . . .as in the Dublin vernacular ' Those bleedin' knackers!'.

I post this purely in the interests of social, and historical accuracy, regarding derogatory comments towards social groupings, deserved or otherwise.

BobMac
29-07-2012, 12:33
I have not heard this word used in Ireland, there they use the term 'Knacker' for one or knackers for the plural'. . . .as in the Dublin vernacular ' Those bleedin' knackers!'.

I post this purely in the interests of social, and historical accuracy, regarding derogatory comments towards social groupings, deserved or otherwise.

I have lots of friends of Asian origin and they quite regularly refer to themselves as Pakkies

They even played in the works 5-a-side competition as "The Fife Pakkies"

carpenter
29-07-2012, 13:16
I have lots of friends of Asian origin and they quite regularly refer to themselves as Pakkies

They even played in the works 5-a-side competition as "The Fife Pakkies"

And the guy that's taken over the Welcome Inn the Silencio goes under the self given name of "P**ey Pete" so I'm told. This is when I start to find difficulty classing this word as a hate word. When people choose to use that word to describe themselves. :confused:

ribuck
29-07-2012, 14:34
I must have lived a sheltered life, because I have never heard the P word used in a derogatory way. In fact I got to page 3 of this topic before I could even figure out what the word was.

carpdaught1
30-07-2012, 14:48
i found my kids [ now all grown up ] called sheep sh...... because they live on the welsh boarders now that i find offensive as none of us like lamb lol

i found my kids [ now all grown up ] called sheep sh...... because they live on the welsh boarders now that i find offensive as none of us like lamb lol

universal
30-07-2012, 18:39
Brings to mind a definition from Punch magazine some years back in their dictionary section;
PIKEA - A selection of self assembly furniture found in an Essex lay-by.

slodgedad
30-07-2012, 22:17
And the guy that's taken over the Welcome Inn the Silencio goes under the self given name of "P**ey Pete" so I'm told. This is when I start to find difficulty classing this word as a hate word. When people choose to use that word to describe themselves. :confused:
First I've heard. Derek, the owner, is my neighbour.

carpenter
30-07-2012, 22:35
First I've heard. Derek, the owner, is my neighbour.

I did put in there "so I'm told"
The person that gave me the info is a presenter on Coast and Silencio resident. He simply said that Derek had retired.
If I'm wrong I apologise, I must have misunderstood

slodgedad
30-07-2012, 23:00
Take your word for it. I'll ask him tomorrow