PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Animals and Olives

cainaries
25-07-2012, 21:35
This might be slightly in the wrong place but I couldn't find a 'general chat' forum for pets. We have 3 cats and 1 dog and a visitor cat. The visitor cat ADORES olives. Unfortunately, they don't agree with him but this isn't my point. Tonight I had stupidly left a large bowl of olives out on the kitchen work top which OH and I were snacking on whilst we cooked. Suddenly there was a huge crash as th4e visitor cat tipped the bowl over and the bowl and the olives crashed on to the tiles. As I rushed for the broom and mop the dog started hoovering up the olives!

The dog also eats avocados. Is this normal?!?

Suej
25-07-2012, 22:21
This might be slightly in the wrong place but I couldn't find a 'general chat' forum for pets. We have 3 cats and 1 dog and a visitor cat. The visitor cat ADORES olives. Unfortunately, they don't agree with him but this isn't my point. Tonight I had stupidly left a large bowl of olives out on the kitchen work top which OH and I were snacking on whilst we cooked. Suddenly there was a huge crash as th4e visitor cat tipped the bowl over and the bowl and the olives crashed on to the tiles. As I rushed for the broom and mop the dog started hoovering up the olives!

The dog also eats avocados. Is this normal?!?

Ha Ha! How funny you should post this Cainaries! My cat has a fettish for Yoghurt! Strawberry and Banana particularly! it doesn't matter where she is in the house if she hears a yoghurt pot being opened she will be there within seconds! We just let her lick out the pot when it's finished! I think all animals have some foods that they just can't resist! ;)

Malteser Monkey
25-07-2012, 22:26
I thought cats were lactose intollerent my Mum has 3 "adopted cats" and I've told her to stick to cat food and water.

The ad on TV where the cats are clicking their paws/fingers at the milk always makes me laugh.

So where does the saying the cat's got the cream come from??

Animals and Olives what a title - I do love you Cainaires

Pets@Home
25-07-2012, 22:55
Hi I have a dog called Rubi a white poodle.

She has a habit of going in the bin, if I leave the kitchen door open, and taking stuff into the lounge. Then she looks all wide eyed and innocent, "not me mummy"

So other day left the kitchen door open and she came into the lounge with an orange face, once again, all wide eyed and innocent, "not me mummy"

OH YES, YOU, LADY, the evidence of last nights curry is all over your face.

WE NOW CALL HER "RUBI MURRY"

cainaries
25-07-2012, 22:56
I thought cats were lactose intollerent my Mum has 3 "adopted cats" and I've told her to stick to cat food and water.

The ad on TV where the cats are clicking their paws/fingers at the milk always makes me laugh.

Mwah Mwah, MM.

Your advice is absolutely right. Dried Animal Food and water is the correct diet. We feed ours Fit 32 as a rule (Royal Canin). Since I posted earlier we had stupidly fed the dog some leftover chicken casserole and my goodness is she poorly. So dogs should also only be fed dog biscuits and water.

I am still mopping, what with the olive disaster and now the chicken casserole disaster ... aaaiieee!

As for the strawberry and banana yoghurt cat .... honestly never heard of such a thing.

One of ours knows when we open one of those UHT cream cartons and she puts herself about and is given the bowl to lick out after we've eaten whatever it might be. But strawberry and banana yoghurt ... !!

julia44
26-07-2012, 06:16
I scatter olives on the patio for the cats and they rub their faces on them and roll in the juice and eventually eat them, the dog I had also used to eat them, my vet said it was OK as they have good nutrients for their fur.

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2012, 09:43
I read somewhere that if you have trouble with dog food sticking to the dish and it's difficult to wash spread with a little olive oil - it's also helps give a glossy coat

Now I don't mean spread the dog with olive oil ! you lot come on now :laugh:

sunseeker
26-07-2012, 09:54
my cats eat lizards. im sure thats not good for them. lol

Suej
26-07-2012, 11:01

Never feed my cat human food she has biscuits and water! and once a week I give her Malta! but it's a treat to let her lick out an empty yoghurt pot once in a while!

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2012, 11:10
Never feed my cat human food she has biscuits and water! and once a week I give her Malta! but it's a treat to let her lick out an empty yoghurt pot once in a while!

ahhh quite cat

Malta ?

Suej
26-07-2012, 11:17
ahhh quite cat

Malta ?

It's malt extract in a dispenser (also get it in tubes) really good for the cat's digestive tract and fur balls! My vet recommended it! not all cats like it though!

chifleta
26-07-2012, 11:34
Oh dear, my family are right dinlows with their cats...... my nan had a tabby cat that she fed fresh fish once a week, raw liver once a week, and a sip or gulp of her martini of a weekend.... :cheeky:

And my mums 3 cats could tell the difference between the flee spray can and the squirt squirt cream can.... they run a mile with the flee spray and they give her the cats choir when she got the squirt squirt cream out..... they'd go "meow meow meow" and she'd go squirt squirt squirt on each of their noses... hilarious... she wouldn't do that very often though (this was a longggg time ago by the way).... anyways all 4 cats lived to ripe old ages ....

cainaries
26-07-2012, 15:07
I scatter olives on the patio for the cats and they rub their faces on them and roll in the juice and eventually eat them, the dog I had also used to eat them, my vet said it was OK as they have good nutrients for their fur.

I think it would have been less of a problem if they hadn't eaten the pitts as well (is that the right word ... the stones in the middle, I'm talking about).

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2012, 15:11
Piths I think dear

chifleta
26-07-2012, 15:14
http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=pit

google is your friend :wave:

Malteser Monkey
26-07-2012, 15:40
http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=pit

google is your friend :wave:

pith is the skin isn't it - silly me !

cainaries
26-07-2012, 17:53
pith is the skin isn't it - silly me !

We were both a bit wrong there, Monkey. Not much of a surprise that though! Yes, I meant the pit with one t. I think the pith is that strange foamy layer you get inside the skin of an orange between the orange skin and the segments themselves.

Loved chifleta's story about the cream. What is a `dinlow' .. is that what she wrote .. a dinlow?

chifleta
26-07-2012, 18:28
We were both a bit wrong there, Monkey. Not much of a surprise that though! Yes, I meant the pit with one t. I think the pith is that strange foamy layer you get inside the skin of an orange between the orange skin and the segments themselves.

Loved chifleta's story about the cream. What is a `dinlow' .. is that what she wrote .. a dinlow?

I only looked it up because I thought it was just called a stone LOL

omg Urban Dictionary is my new friend:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dinlow

I'm from Hampshire, and this word is used in my family on my dads side, mainly from my nan .... and reading the urban dictionary I now know why bwahahaha.... my dad recently found that my nans family comes from a large gypsy family ... hilarious - we actually use a saying "we've got itchy feet" meaning we can't sit still for long, or live in one house for too long, and now it's dawned on us why... my nan had never said anything because it was all hushed up - obviously now we know why her and her sis could speak backslang (presumably a gypsy dialect so no other bugger could understand them hehehehe) .... I might have to learn it myself :)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I can actually say this in a Worzel voice, although I haven't actually got much of an accent (unless i've had a drink):

A worzel overheard talking in a Portsmouth inn: "I are a right dinlow when I bin shanting."

cainaries
26-07-2012, 18:36
my cats eat lizards. im sure thats not good for them. lol

Just spotted this one. No it really isn't good for them. The lizards carry salmonella poisoning. We always try to snatch them away from the cats and wash our hands carefully afterwards. So, at the risk of a quick swipe with a paw, you might try to take them away before the whole lizard goes down. Can be tricky when they're those little ones.

Foz
26-07-2012, 18:53
My lil dog loves green olives stuffed with anchovies! How sophisticated is that? x

Ed3229
26-07-2012, 19:41

I'm from Hampshire, and this word is used in my family on my dads side, mainly from my nan .... and reading the urban dictionary I now know why bwahahaha.... my dad recently found that my nans family comes from a large gypsy family ... hilarious - we actually use a saying "we've got itchy feet" meaning we can't sit still for long, or live in one house for too long, and now it's dawned on us why... my nan had never said anything because it was all hushed up - obviously now we know why her and her sis could speak backslang (presumably a gypsy dialect so no other bugger could understand them hehehehe) .... I might have to learn it myself :)

I can actually say this in a Worzel voice, although I haven't actually got much of an accent (unless i've had a drink):

A worzel overheard talking in a Portsmouth inn: "I are a right dinlow when I bin shanting."

Im from Hampshire too and not far from Skatemouth (Saints fan cant bring myself to say the word) Dinlow is used in my village as is fella(man),gathers(police)gorgers or country(non gypsy)....We also speak backslang in the butchers when the customers are around...dlo,namow,lrig etc but our favorite word is bwatterdelayloes but I can't tell you what this means its a shop secret...:crylaughing:
Gone a bit off topic.....Sorry.

tracy hampshire
26-07-2012, 19:44
when my dog lily was a pup, we were in a bar in puerto, & someone dropped a pincho made up of olives ,gherkins & pickled onions in a very spicy vinegar, she wolfed the lot, then barked at the man for more, hubby picked her up she then stuck her nose in his dorada & took a big slurp, but she will eat anything she thinks you are eating, fruit, raw veg, yoghurt you name it, but she is now on a strict diet of biscuts, unless someone is clumsy & drops something, then shes like a dyson, she sill likes beer if she gets the chance, thats the yorkshire breeding in her, us yorkshire lasses like a bevvy or two :cheeky:

cainaries
26-07-2012, 22:12

Well, I'm from Hampshire as well, chifleta, and you are talking forrin as far as I'm concerned! And Ed is as well. But when I checked our families out on Genes Reunited no-one in the family came from Hampshire, just that my parents ended up there so perhaps that's the explanation or perhaps I'm just posher than what you are?:laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2012, 09:39
or perhaps I'm just posher than what you are?:laugh::laugh:

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:lol:

you been about a bit you !

chifleta
27-07-2012, 14:04
Im from Hampshire too and not far from Skatemouth (Saints fan cant bring myself to say the word) Dinlow is used in my village as is fella(man),gathers(police)gorgers or country(non gypsy)....We also speak backslang in the butchers when the customers are around...dlo,namow,lrig etc but our favorite word is bwatterdelayloes but I can't tell you what this means its a shop secret...:crylaughing:
Gone a bit off topic.....Sorry.

omg i didn't understand half of those words, my nan and her sis never taught any of us backslang, so none of us could understand what they were saying about us hahahaha....

Well, I'm from Hampshire as well, chifleta, and you are talking forrin as far as I'm concerned! And Ed is as well. But when I checked our families out on Genes Reunited no-one in the family came from Hampshire, just that my parents ended up there so perhaps that's the explanation or perhaps I'm just posher than what you are?:laugh::laugh:

you're a posh bird LOL ... our gypsy roots are from Portsmouth apparently ... I was born in Tidworth, but lived most my life in Ludgershall, then Andover, and over 20 years here in Tenerife (so much nicer don't you think)...

sorry for us all going off topic, someones fault for asking what dinlow meant hehehe

cainaries
27-07-2012, 14:59
Completely off topic now but I started the thread and I don't care! So, if the mods come and post us all over to OT, so be it. Isn't Tidworth an Army camp? Or is there more to it than that, don't think I'v ever been there. Been through Ludgershall ...Andover is a very civilised place. But, yes Canary Islands are definitely better.

Malteser Monkey
27-07-2012, 15:08
Completely off topic now but I started the thread and I don't care! So, if the mods come and post us all over to OT, so be it. Isn't Tidworth an Army camp? Or is there more to it than that, don't think I'v ever been there. Been through Ludgershall ...Andover is a very civilised place. But, yes Canary Islands are definitely better.

Well I'm going to join in coz there's no one better at going off topic than moi !

kingbaker
27-07-2012, 20:24
Oh dear, my family are right dinlows with their cats...... my nan had a tabby cat that she fed fresh fish once a week, raw liver once a week, and a sip or gulp of her martini of a weekend.... :cheeky:

And my mums 3 cats could tell the difference between the flee spray can and the squirt squirt cream can.... they run a mile with the flee spray and they give her the cats choir when she got the squirt squirt cream out..... they'd go "meow meow meow" and she'd go squirt squirt squirt on each of their noses... hilarious... she wouldn't do that very often though (this was a longggg time ago by the way).... anyways all 4 cats lived to ripe old ages ....

Would that be where the fettish for all things squirty, started then?:rofl::cheers:

cainaries
27-07-2012, 23:18
Would that be where the fettish for all things squirty, started then?:rofl::cheers:

You know there's simple 'off topic' and then there's ..... a quite different category ... and your post sinks right into that!

I know I spelt pitt with two tts earlier but I think fetish only has 1 ... er. ...t.

kingbaker
28-07-2012, 20:57
You know there's simple 'off topic' and then there's ..... a quite different category ... and your post sinks right into that!

I know I spelt pitt with two tts earlier but I think fetish only has 1 ... er. ...t.

Thanks Cainaries...............duly noted:lol:

chifleta
28-07-2012, 21:49

You're right, most of Tidworth is an army camp, but I'm not an army brat LOL ... my dad is a civvy, though he worked for the MOD foreverrrrrr.... now retired. Ludgershall is civvy, but had a big army medical centre (DEMED) and a big tank depot... hence why I swear like a trouper and used to be able to drink most of the younguns under the table and hence why I gave up heavy drinking when I moved over here at the tender age of 23 hahaha... sorry what Andover are you talking about? civilised? OMG :lol::lol: when we used to go to the Bournemouth nightclubs, we'd have to tell them we were from Salisbury, if we said Ludgershall or Andover, they wouldn't have let us in BWAHAHA.... ps i don't mind going off topic, love cats love having a laugh, great thread :)

cainaries
29-07-2012, 01:12
You're right, most of Tidworth is an army camp, but I'm not an army brat LOL ... my dad is a civvy, though he worked for the MOD foreverrrrrr.... now retired. Ludgershall is civvy, but had a big army medical centre (DEMED) and a big tank depot... hence why I swear like a trouper and used to be able to drink most of the younguns under the table and hence why I gave up heavy drinking when I moved over here at the tender age of 23 hahaha... sorry what Andover are you talking about? civilised? OMG :lol::lol: when we used to go to the Bournemouth nightclubs, we'd have to tell them we were from Salisbury, if we said Ludgershall or Andover, they wouldn't have let us in BWAHAHA.... ps i don't mind going off topic, love cats love having a laugh, great thread :)

You went all the way to Bournemouth to go to a nightclub?! Obviously Southampton is a well-kept secret then!