PDA

View Full Version : OAP registering as disabled in the Canaries

cainaries
26-07-2012, 22:21
This is a bit complicated.

We retired here before OH was 65 and I was 60. 7 years on we are both OAPs. I have been advised by Spanish Health professionals now that, if I were Spanish, they would register me as disabled. But I'm not Spanish and they say, and I haven't a single grumble about this, that the only thing I would be entitled to would be a disabled parking badge. But, just to get that, according to them, I have to go back to the UK and register as disabled there. But I haven't even got a GP in the UK.

Has anyone managed to do this? If so could you let me know how you managed it?

Thanks!

Megaloo
26-07-2012, 22:42

We retired here before OH was 65 and I was 60. 7 years on we are both OAPs. I have been advised by Spanish Health professionals now that, if I were Spanish, they would register me as disabled. But I'm not Spanish and they say, and I haven't a single grumble about this, that the only thing I would be entitled to would be a disabled parking badge. But, just to get that, according to them, I have to go back to the UK and register as disabled there. But I haven't even got a GP in the UK.

Thanks!

Yes my OH has a blue badge for parking which he got here he certainly did not have to go back to the UK to get registered.
Our GP gave us a form which we had to take to the equivalent of Social Services long story but in all it took about 18 months he had to go to Santa Cruz to be seen and assessed by a Doctor and someone else(don't ask me who) so many questions asked I reallly got cross I said in the end we only came for a Blue Badge not anything else cash or such.!!

Apparently I was told that they ask all these questions so it is all on file in case you need anything else in the future.

Having waited all that time I then found out we could have got a temporary card to park from Puerto Police Station. My OH badge is indefinate. which we presume means does not need renewing.

A friend of mine had a badge from England which ran out of date he got that renewed here but still had to go through the same procedure.

We were told that England have a seperate department for issuing these Spain has not so they get sent to bottom of pile.

BobMac
26-07-2012, 23:17

Thanks!

Yes my OH has a blue badge for parking which he got here he certainly did not have to go back to the UK to get registered.
Our GP gave us a form which we had to take to the equivalent of Social Services long story but in all it took about 18 months he had to go to Santa Cruz to be seen and assessed by a Doctor and someone else(don't ask me who) so many questions asked I reallly got cross I said in the end we only came for a Blue Badge not anything else cash or such.!!

Apparently I was told that they ask all these questions so it is all on file in case you need anything else in the future.

Having waited all that time I then found out we could have got a temporary card to park from Puerto Police Station. My OH badge is indefinate. which we presume means does not need renewing.

A friend of mine had a badge from England which ran out of date he got that renewed here but still had to go through the same procedure.

We were told that England have a seperate department for issuing these Spain has not so they get sent to bottom of pile.

The system in the UK has changed to something similar to the Spanish system now - you have to be assessed by an independent doctor now, not your own doctor and there are less categories you can be fitted into, so it is more difficult to get a Blue Badge here now.

This is compounded by the fact that there is no longer a Registered Disabled status as such in the UK now, it was all swept away when they introduced the Disabled Living Allowance scheme.

casabonny
27-07-2012, 11:26
Hi you can do this here without going to Uk if you are registered in the /Spanish health system which you obviously are.It is , as you would expect complicated but you do first need to get the form from your GP to be referred to Santa Cruz . I would say contact Emma at Motorworld as she has been through this process with clients but if memory serves me well you are in La Palma not Tenerife so giving advice on where to go would be silly!You could e mail her though and ask for advice . good luck

Thanks![/QUOTE]

cainaries
27-07-2012, 14:51
Thanks for all the advice. I started the process with a locum GP about 3 years ago and we got so completely stuck with questions like at what level did I finish education and things like that that we had to stop because of all the other patients waiting. Then she left and the next doctor told me he couldn't do it (sounds more like wouldn't do it from reading your replies) and that I had to go back to the UK and the physiotherapist told me the same thing. Just trying to put me off!

I know one of the questions was could I put on my own socks and ... daft though this sounds ... I have days when that is really difficult and other days when it isn't. So I think I'll leave it for now. But if anyone does it, I would be really interested to know the name/number of the form the GP has to fill in.

Megaloo
27-07-2012, 15:07
Hi you can do this here without going to Uk if you are registered in the /Spanish health system which you obviously are.It is , as you would expect complicated but you do first need to get the form from your GP to be referred to Santa Cruz . I would say contact Emma at Motorworld as she has been through this process with clients but if memory serves me well you are in La Palma not Tenerife so giving advice on where to go would be silly!You could e mail her though and ask for advice . good luck

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Yes as I posted in answer to canaries I did it for my Husband but it did take 18months, and also a friend of mine renewed his English one here but again it took about 18 months but he did get a certificate from the local POlice Station in Puerto de la Cruz to allow him to park in a disabled space within 15 kilometres of Puerto

When we went to Santa Cruz for him to be examined and interviewed there were so many questions but we did get through it, although annoying to be asked so many personal things just to get a blue badge. How big was our apartment etc etc things that I did not think were necessary to be able to park in a disabled space??!!:mad:

cainaries
27-07-2012, 18:09
Hi Megaloo

Yes, I saw that you posted that, sorry! On reflection I think I might start with our Practice Nurse who is very helpful. If it is going to take me 18 months I'd probably better get going now. But it won't be this month or next as she is on holiday.

Megaloo
27-07-2012, 19:03
Sorry Canaries I realised you had seeen my post but was not sure Casabonny had:ashamed:

Yes you do need to give a lot of time. Somebody else I know was bedridden before getting his? Which was a terrible situation.