PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to transport a Gearbox/propshaft to Tenerife?

waverunner
31-07-2012, 11:36
Any recommendations on the best way to get a car gearbox and propshaft to Tenerife other than me going and picking it up and bringing it over by road. thanks

Happy Days
31-07-2012, 13:08
I had a friend who worked for a distributer of British foods here in Tenerife.

There was a time when I thought I would need something large sent from the UK, and he said it would have been no problem to "rent" a bit of space on their container. I would have just needed to get it to the port that they shipped from in the UK.

Sorry my friend no longer works there, but I think it would be worth while contacting the many distributers directly and asking.

Hope this helps....

delderek
31-07-2012, 13:22
Any recommendations on the best way to get a car gearbox and propshaft to Tenerife other than me going and picking it up and bringing it over by road. thanks

Would have thought for that sort of weight, consolidated airfreight would end up being the best overall.

biciboy
31-07-2012, 14:06
the problems will be when you come to pick the parts up at the port! ie special import duties/taxes.I had a pair of m/cycle tyres to bring over and in the end the cheapest way was bring them back with me from UK as extra luggage.Was quoted over £400 at one point by a courier!The tyres cost me £180!
It's mainly because we're on the Canaries and the infrastructure is not set up for recieving stuff in the way that mainland Europe is.
My advice would be (if you don't speak Spanish)find an English speaking garage repair place and ask them,as they will often need to have stuff sent to them.
good luck