PDA

View Full Version : Health Emergency trip to the vet with my pooch Gizmo!

warmwind
01-08-2012, 11:00
I am writing this post as information for anybody who may see a similiar behaviour in their dog or cat !

On Saturday I noticed my dog 'Gizmo' was not doing his normal amount of pee pee's. Then on Sunday he was straining to pass urine plus he was crying in pain when he passed his pee pee. Sod's laws dictate these things always happen on a Sunday, of course, when the vet is closed ! but I phoned the vet emergency phone number as I thought my pooch can't go through another day without passing urine or very little.

I am glad I did, as the vet said it was serious and if i had left Gizmo another day he would have been very ill and indeed might of died. The vet extracted my dog's pee pee. Not a very pleasant experience for Gizmo but the vet gave him a sedative and pain killer.

The next day more X-Rays were taken and it was discovered that Gizmo has a stone in his bladder, and the crystals from the stone were causing a blockage. He has been given a special diet to help reduce the size of the stone plus antibiotics and I am hoping he won't need surgery

The vet doesn't know why Gizmo has a stone as he is a young dog and this occurs more in older doggies.

So doggie owners if you see your dog having trouble having a pee pee , take it seriously, especially if he or she is in pain while trying to pee pee and there is no urine coming out or very little. Please take your pooch to a vet immediately ! If you leave it too long toxins can build up in your pooches blood stream and or your doggie's bladder can burst ! which as you can imagine is life threatening.

The vet also told me to give Gizmo mineral water or filter water - which I have mostly been doing, and from now on will only give him bottled water. Giving your dog bottled/filtered water is not pampering your dog. The water in Tenerife has many deposits here which could be harmful and may cause kidney stones, you only need to look at the state of the taps here to know how much build up of limescale there is, well that is what is lining your dogs stomach/bladder.

The X-ray is of my doggies bladder and where the stone is .

timmylish
01-08-2012, 12:37
Sorry to hear of his suffering. We faced the same issue on a Saturday afternoon 6 years ago with our Bali cat and ended up at the Veterinary Hospital in Taco, SC because our cat,s condition was clearly a couple of days further advanced than your poor dog. In fact all of Timmy,s water works were removed just to save his life as stones were in all the tracts. A thin plastic tube now serves him as his urinator! Cost us over 1600 Euros for all the surgery etc.
Since then all our pets are given our home drinking water. Now in addition to that we have never used any main feed from Supermarkets of any kind. We only use high quality feeds with no rice and other, to animals, dangerous contents. Salt is a big problem as you,ll see from dog treats and the dog heading straight for water after eating large amounts of treats so be careful, particularly in this heat and possible further increases in temperatures.
Owners, as always, just be extra careful at this time of year as not only these problems but fleas and ticks are rampant at the moment, being carried by the large number of strays running about! Poof animals.

Suej
01-08-2012, 12:40
This seems to be a very common complaint with Cats and Dogs here! I wonder why! I agree with OP never give your pets tap water!

warmwind
01-08-2012, 13:02
Sorry to hear of his suffering. We faced the same issue on a Saturday afternoon 6 years ago with our Bali cat and ended up at the Veterinary Hospital in Taco, SC because our cat,s condition was clearly a couple of days further advanced than your poor dog. In fact all of Timmy,s water works were removed just to save his life as stones were in all the tracts. A thin plastic tube now serves him as his urinator! Cost us over 1600 Euros for all the surgery etc.
Since then all our pets are given our home drinking water. Now in addition to that we have never used any main feed from Supermarkets of any kind. We only use high quality feeds with no rice and other, to animals, dangerous contents. Salt is a big problem as you,ll see from dog treats and the dog heading straight for water after eating large amounts of treats so be careful, particularly in this heat and possible further increases in temperatures.
Owners, as always, just be extra careful at this time of year as not only these problems but fleas and ticks are rampant at the moment, being carried by the large number of strays running about! Poof animals.

Sorry to hear about your poor cat.

Good point about dog treats and having a high salt content. The vet has told me not to give Gizmo any treats until he is better . i will be careful with the treats i give him in the future.

Pets@Home
01-08-2012, 14:03
Thanks for that important info, yes yr right another day, would have been totally toxic and would not been able to been reversed.
SO well done for being quick to spot and to take action, otherwise poor Gizmo would have been a goner, as urine has to come out or goes in yr bladder or blood and then becomes dangerous ........ so well done u ........... Gizmo lucky to have u xxx

anegib
01-08-2012, 14:19
Thank you very much for your post. I did not know about the tap water being bad for my animals. Will buy loads of bottled water tomorrow for my dog.