PDA

View Full Version : Have Tenerife South Rentals ceased trading?

mcoady
02-08-2012, 15:10
Hi Guys,

Just wondering was anyone renting from Tenerife south rentals (Hazel and Phil)? We are renting an apartment (long term) from these guys and just received a letter to say that they have ceased trading and to contact the landlord directly. They still have our deposit!!

FKB
07-08-2012, 07:45
Their web site is still up and running, have you tried contacting the sister company "Tenerife Temptations" to see if they know anything? Good Luck

suzy-sue
26-08-2012, 15:16
Good luck ...I m afraid I would never rent from anyone unless they were know to me or were English .No offense meant .But ive found certain reviews on rental sites that have made me very wary
.I 'm sure there are legit people out there. But In future Id advise you to stick to the main holiday rental companys from the UK .
Hope you get it all sorted .I have numerous private numbers if you need an apt to rent .All the best Sue

fonica
26-08-2012, 16:30
[QUOTE=suzy-sue;210604]Good luck ...I m afraid I would never rent from anyone unless they were know to me or were English .No offense meant .But ive found certain reviews on rental sites that have made me very wary
.I 'm sure there are legit people out there. But In future Id advise you to stick to the main holiday rental companys from the UK .
Hope you get it all sorted .I have numerous private numbers if you need an apt to rent .All the best Sue[/QUOTE
They are renting a long term apartment not a holiday rental so the UK holiday rental companies wouldn't be much use to them.They can stay put until the end of their lease and should contact the owners to sort out their deposit.At least the rental company has advised them of the situation.

greenc
26-08-2012, 16:58
I believe that they have gone back to UK, I know of someone else that was renting from them and they have also gone off with their deposit. Website is till there, but all the telephone numbers are dead

tmfkahs
26-08-2012, 19:29
Good luck ...I m afraid I would never rent from anyone unless they were know to me or were English .No offense meant .But ive found certain reviews on rental sites that have made me very wary
Hope you get it all sorted .I have numerous private numbers if you need an apt to rent .All the best Sue

These people are English and have skipped back to the UK so no offence taken.

They also operated Tenerife South Vacations, a main holiday rental company from the UK, which has also ceased trading with many deposits for future holidays taken with them. Again no offence taken.

I think this may have something to do with the clampdown on illegal letting of apartments on residential complexes and on tourist complexes through 'Agents'.

I know of one Agent, who, on the receipt of his €40,000 fine, quit his rented apartment, shut the door on his office and skipped back to Britain.

This may be another who has decided to cut and run, rather than face the music. If your main business is 'illegal holiday letting' what other choice do you have? It is just sad that the long let tenants have doubts about their deposits and rents.

Pets@Home
26-08-2012, 20:09
They have gone back, and it is because of all this illegal letting laws, ruined their business, had to go back to the UK.
I believe that the previous owners have taken over the business, again, maybe contact them. They are nice people ......
If anyone wants me to pass a message via email to them, happy to, just p/m me what u want to say and who you are as I am in touch with them, as I have their dogs and cats ...........

Tinkabel
26-08-2012, 21:48
We had a similar problem a few years ago with another company, It turned out they were not paying the apartment owner the rent, we had proof of payment. My advice to you would be to speak directly to the apartment owner, Our Landlord not only offered us a new contract for less money, he also said if we decided to move he would pay back our deposit. Best thing we ever did and the landlord knows he'll get his rent and bills paid every month without delay.

carpenter
26-08-2012, 23:02
Blimey on the one hand you have forum member Dipper asking for info about a tenant that owes rent now there is a complaint about a agency that owes a tenant and landlord.

Is anything regulated over here? This problem was dealt with very effectively in the UK by deposits being held by a central government approved body.

Forget about tracing the couple who have your money, unless you are are good friends of Melinda Messenger and Dominic Littlewood you'll never see that cash again.

Good luck with the landlord hopefully he is understanding and does not hold you accountable for their errors.

harbern
26-08-2012, 23:13
hi there
hazel & phil were, are running tegueste villa's management .opposite sunset bay in torvisca's
harbern

Angusjim
27-08-2012, 09:30
Yet another un regulated area in Tenerife, I am a Landlord in the UK and we are not now allowed to hold deposits they have to go into a rent deposit scheme. It's about time that the government over there took some responsibilty for what is happening , neither the landlord or the agent should be holding any deposits from tenants.

CIM
27-08-2012, 16:29
Too true Jim. It can be a dodgy area indeed, especially if you aren't familiar with the laws governing renting.
Some good news though is that the government are aware of the short falls and have changed the laws to favour landlords recently, with more changes in the pipeline so far as evicting non payers in a much shorter space of time. I am looking into it now and will do a write up on my site when I get some time.

suzy-sue
27-08-2012, 22:41
They are renting a long term apartment not a holiday rental so the UK holiday rental companies wouldn't be much use to them.They can stay put until the end of their lease and should contact the owners to sort out their deposit.At least the rental company has advised them of the situation.[/QUOTE]

The main Rental sites I had in mind i've sent via Pm .There are Apts for long term rental available on there .At least you are dealing directly with the owner that way .That said its a sad state of affairs for all concerned on this one ..Sue

mcoady
22-05-2013, 15:10
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, just to let you all we actually had it sorted with the owners last month, and they have kindly offered to cover the full deposit!