PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic dental care or what?!

Tenerifelass
04-08-2012, 19:43
I had a bad toothache a few months ago and being deceived by the fancy ads all over different English newspapers went to the El Cedro clinic in Adeje. The clinic is fantastically decorated and looks very high tech and posh.
The dentist removed the earlier filling and filled it again. He suggested that I should be patient with the pain for a week or two. I suffered for few months back and forth to the posh clinic. He finally suggested that the pain was related to the adjacent tooth, and removed the crown bridge for which I had paid for dearly to another dentist, and renewed my crown bridge!
The pain continued for another month, and the new crown chipped to pieces too!
Had to go a another dentist at end end who told me that the pain originated in the first tooth, that they did a horrible job only half evacuating the previous filling, and that they had not filled it properly too!
He filled my tooth again and I could sleep the very first night. Although, I had to pay dearly for a third time for the crown bridge that had been flawless in the first place!
The 2nd dentist told me that the crown bridge could have not been the source of the pain at all as the nerve underneath had been killed and nerve canals fully filled before!
Despite repeated visits, they fobbed me off and didnt accept any compensation, or even reimbusrment of the money they charged.
I am grateful to the other dentist who relieve the pain with very little money and in a very humble looking surgery.
Throughout this time I met a couple of other patients who experienced much worse managements in their hands and were charged hefty amounts for their teeth to be destroyed.
Thought to share this experience so us all leanr not to be deceived by appearances only!

TenerifeTeddy
04-08-2012, 20:26
Thatīs interesting, so who was the good dentist you went to that finally sorted you out?

Tenerifelass
04-08-2012, 21:11
A tiny and humble dental surgery in Adeje village, AVDA constitucion, Edif Retama 2 (just further up from Hyperdino). A local canarian friend introduced me to them. Strange enough the surgery has two dentists, one Italian who speaks very good English and a Spanish dentist. They do not have a PA or dental assistant and assist each other while working on patients. And they do not charge you insane prices based on their overhead costs!

carpenter
04-08-2012, 22:30
A tiny and humble dental surgery in Adeje village, AVDA constitucion, Edif Retama 2 (just further up from Hyperdino). A local canarian friend introduced me to them. Strange enough the surgery has two dentists, one Italian who speaks very good English and a Spanish dentist. They do not have a PA or dental assistant and assist each other while working on patients. And they do not charge you insane prices based on their overhead costs!

Can we have a price comparison. I recently went to Excellent Medical on the Golf with toothache and I directed him to my upper wisdom tooth.
The consultation and extraction cost bang on €100 and I was happy with that. The only comparison I have had is with UK dentists and I know I'd pay a lot more for a private wisdom tooth extraction over there.

Margaretta
04-08-2012, 22:46
Tenerifelass, so sorry about the pain in your tooth and the pain in your purse!

Carpenter, I had a wisdom tooth extracted just before Christmas here in the UK and it was Ģ95. Two weeks ago I spent nine minutes in the dentists chair where a filling was replaced (no drilling needed) and a quick check was made. It cost Ģ77. Teeth are a necessary nuisance but really does their repair need to be so very expensive? The filling fell out tonight as I was cheering Mo Farrah on TV. Do you think the dentist will make me pay again?

carpenter
04-08-2012, 23:09
Tenerifelass, so sorry about the pain in your tooth and the pain in your purse!

Carpenter, I had a wisdom tooth extracted just before Christmas here in the UK and it was Ģ95. Two weeks ago I spent nine minutes in the dentists chair where a filling was replaced (no drilling needed) and a quick check was made. It cost Ģ77. Teeth are a necessary nuisance but really does their repair need to be so very expensive? The filling fell out tonight as I was cheering Mo Farrah on TV. Do you think the dentist will make me pay again?

I had the same thing but my filling fell out in ASDA and no I didn't pay again. Dentists in the UK are on over 100k on average i think and more and more dental chains are popping up with eastern europeon dentists it's a massive money making machine.

Maybe €100 wasn't so good then what's that about Ģ90? It was quick and the pain went so I was happy

viv
05-08-2012, 09:07
hmm this is very worrying, my wife has been putting off finding a dentist, because she has a real bad Phobia about dentists. She is not in constant pain... only when she eats or or drinks but every now and then the pain will start up and last for hours... she has a constant headache and is popping the painkillers!! She says it's the nerves as she can fell a gap between the tooth and the gum!! We will now be very careful of any dentists we go to. However I'm very please to hear you are finally pain free.. well at least in your mouth!

Suej
05-08-2012, 15:11
I had extensive bridge work done at El Cedro and although not cheap I was very pleased with finished work! It was Dr Bournay that carried out all my treatment he is the senior Dentist and I think he is excellent! My OH saw the younger dentist at the same surgery and was not too pleased with his treatment as they wanted to remove a tooth that was not bothering him but leave the tooth that was giving him pain which the Dentist kept wanting to save! after three courses of Antibiotics which did nothing to ease the pain he gave up and in the end we suggested another solution to the problem which reluctantly the Dentist agreed to which was a bridge of three teeth! and not two extremely expensive implants. The first bridge did not fit at all and had to be re-made! it's all fine now but I would only ever want to be treated by Dr Bournay at this particular practice.

Sol
08-08-2012, 23:33
Talking about dentists I use Clinica Dental Medical Implant in Los Abrigos. I am very happy with them and all my family go there. I recently had my top right wisdom tooth taken out plus stitches and received excellent aftercare, with 2 appointments one to see how it was healing and the other for the removal of the stitches all for 48€ (special price). They have a golden card system where you pay 95€ a year and you can put up to 6 people on the card including children and the people on the card get a free clean during the year and all treatment at a discounted price. This is especially a good save if you have to have treatment as it works out cheaper. It was for me as I have had various treatments and still ongoing as I now have to take out my other wisdom tooth. My husband and father have had their cleans and my children have had their free check ups. When I go there the waiting room is full of English patients as they all speak excellent English. You can also go along and get a quote and they donīt charge like most dentists. I am very happy with Medical Implant and I have always disliked going to the dentist. Also the surgery is very clean, bright and airconditioned.

TIS
09-08-2012, 00:10
Annual DKV Dental Policy : Classic : 72.56€ or Elite : 106.05€

FREE annual check-up
FREE annual clean
FREE x-rays
FREE tooth extractions (except wisdom teeth -15€).
FREE inclusion of children under 14 yrs of age.
NO exclsuion for existing rotten teeth
USE CARD IMMEDIATELY ( takes 5 working days to arrive)
LARGE DISCOUNTS on all other treatment
One simple on-line form to complete

Comparison of Classic & Elite policy and prices can be found on our web site

We referr people to Maximo's dental surgery in San Isidro, mnay English clients have been well happy with quality and prices,

Margaretta
09-08-2012, 00:40
Talking about dentists I use Clinica Dental Medical Implant in Los Abrigos. I am very happy with them and all my family go there. I recently had my top right wisdom tooth taken out plus stitches and received excellent aftercare, with 2 appointments one to see how it was healing and the other for the removal of the stitches all for 48€ (special price). They have a golden card system where you pay 95€ a year and you can put up to 6 people on the card including children and the people on the card get a free clean during the year and all treatment at a discounted price. This is especially a good save if you have to have treatment as it works out cheaper. It was for me as I have had various treatments and still ongoing as I now have to take out my other wisdom tooth. My husband and father have had their cleans and my children have had their free check ups. When I go there the waiting room is full of English patients as they all speak excellent English. You can also go along and get a quote and they donīt charge like most dentists. I am very happy with Medical Implant and I have always disliked going to the dentist. Also the surgery is very clean, bright and airconditioned.

I read that this dentist received an award a couple of years ago as being top for implants in the whole of Spain!

viv
09-08-2012, 08:19
Thank you Sol, Your comments are very interesting and reassuring. I think I might get my wife to pop over to your dentist in Los Abrigos. we don't live very far from it. :0)

Sol
09-08-2012, 17:34
Just come back from the dentist now with my Dad (82) and just had a tooth extracted, my dad is happy and he is difficult to keep happy. There was a couple in the waiting room from the UK who are here on holiday and have come especially to have dental treatment at this dentist. They also have a facebook page and their website is http://www.dentalturismo.es/index_en.html incase anybody is interested. Back in a week with my dad to have his stitches taken out.... Joy of going to the dentist.

viv
10-08-2012, 12:42
Sol, is this the dentist in Los Abrigos your talking about?

Sol
10-08-2012, 14:26
Yes it is in Los Abrigos, you canīt miss it on the main street.

offshore diver
10-08-2012, 15:03
Laura barabino an italian dentist at clinic fanabe plaza she is good iv e never had any problems and prices are okay except they don t accept pvt insurance incl dkv not sure why

slodgedad
11-08-2012, 02:49
A lot of doctors and dentists, who previously accepted various insurance cards, no longer do so because of the delay in payment.

It's OK for the large practices to wait months for payment but the smaller, usually better, concerns can't extend their credit.

Tenerifelass
23-08-2012, 12:37
Hi Sol, Have you done any implants at your dental surgery, and are they very expensive or affordable?. Thanks

Sol
28-08-2012, 13:47
I personally havenīt had any, but I have a friend that has and she was very happy with the service she received. But donīt know about the price but I am sure you can get a quote.

Tenerifelass
28-08-2012, 15:55
Many thanks Sol, ill have to give them a call.

viv
01-09-2012, 11:20
My wife finally went to the dentist!! On recommendation from here and other people she went to the dentist in Los Abrigos... Wow as she has been terrified of dentists since a small child, it was really lovely to her come out with a smile on her face...Wifey told me the dentist she (a lady) was so gentle, she didn't feel a thing.. Her first consultation which lasted about 15 minutes was 30 euros antibiotics and painkiller for 3 days on prescription from the pharmacia was 9 euros. On her second visit 3 days later with the same dentist, the wife had a filling around the top of the tooth and gum.. Total cost 60 euros... flipping brilliant last time I went to a dentist in the UK cost me Ģ150 for a consultation!!!!

TIS
02-09-2012, 10:52
DKV Dental - Classic Plan. Costs 72.56€ per annum and includes ;-

FREE annual inspection
FREE annual clean ( take about 50 minutes to do when I had one earlier this year)
FREE X-rays, including complete mouth or individual tooth
FREE tooth extractions ( wisdom teeth only cost 15€)
FREE inclusion of kids under 14 years old onto the policy

Takes 5 days for card to arrive
Use card immediately
NO exclusions for existing bad teeth !
Some other items are FREE
Others with up to 50% discount compared normal private charges
e.g. filling costs 35€

Application can be done online from our website : http://www.tenerifeinsurance.biz/dentalquote.html
or telephone us to take details and receive your card the following week.

Cost is 72.56€ pro-rata until end of year, so start one now and only pay 24€ WITH FULL COVER !

We are here to help you if you have any questions.

allao
03-09-2012, 15:24
Fanabe plaza is quite expensive. Had my wisdom tooth extracted couple years ago for 145 EUR in 5 minutes, x-ray was included in the price.