PDA

View Full Version : Wild fires rage in La Gomera and La Palma

KirstyJay
05-08-2012, 20:29
We've not got any mention of the fires on the forum that are currently raging in both La Gomera and La Palma, and considering we have members who live on these islands, such as helresa and cainaries, I think it's important that we should have some information if we get it.

From my roof terrace I can see both islands and the fires quite clearly, so I hope that our friends on the others islands are staying safe. If they have any info or photos, please post them. :)

Here is some news in Spanish :

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1557670/0/incendios-forestales/gomera-palma/muerto-sierra-gata/

cainaries
05-08-2012, 20:44
We've not got any mention of the fires on the forum that are currently raging in both La Gomera and La Palma, and considering we have members who live on these islands, such as helresa and cainaries, I think it's important that we should have some information if we get it.

From my roof terrace I can see both islands and the fires quite clearly, so I hope that our friends on the others islands are staying safe. If they have any info or photos, please post them. :)

Here is some news in Spanish :

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1557670/0/incendios-forestales/gomera-palma/muerto-sierra-gata/

Thanks so very much for your concern, Kirstyjay. The fire here on La Palma is not yet completely under control but they are hoping to have it contained tomorrow. I haven't got any photos but have been following the fire news on our digital paper and it seems the fire services are doing a wonderful job containing it.

This particular fire started very near where the devastating 2009 fire started. We are all getting a little suspicious about these fires. There was another one earlier in the week on the east side which was quickly spotted and extinguished but the current one is much worse.

I hope Helresa won't mind my mentioning that she lives in the north of La Palma and, to date, the fires have been in the central or southern zones.

Thanks so much for starting this thread.

KirstyJay
05-08-2012, 20:50
I hope Helresa won't mind my mentioning that she lives in the north of La Palma and, to date, the fires have been in the central or southern zones.Yes, Helresa and her partner came and visited us when they came over during our last Calima! It was HOT up here that day. I'm glad to hear they are away from the effected areas. I have a few friends in La Palma who are fellow ex-auxiliares de conversación. :)

cainaries
05-08-2012, 20:54
Yes, Helresa and her partner came and visited us when they came over during our last Calima! It was HOT up here that day. I'm glad to hear they are away from the effected areas. I have a few friends in La Palma who are fellow ex-auxiliares de conversación. :)

Well, I hope they are all okay, Kirstyjay. There is a lot of rumour here about an arsonist. If they catch them, I think burning at the stake will be the right punishment.

We saw some unbelievably ancient fire engines setting off to the south yesterday. I don't know how things are in Tenerife but these looked as though they should be in the old cars exhibition not out on the road protecting us. Am beginning to wonder if a whip round for a new fire engine here might not be a good idea.

KirstyJay
05-08-2012, 21:00
Here's a pic of the smoke from my roof. It's not too clear, as it's digital zoom on my iPhone, but you get the idea.

http://img.tapatalk.com/5897d15d-d0af-4c7b.jpg

junglejim
05-08-2012, 21:13
Diario de Aviso report on fires- looks like La Palma is being controlled.
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2012/08/05/actualidad/el-incendio-de-la-palma-podra-quedar-controlado-esta-noche/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

cainaries
05-08-2012, 21:32
Diario de Aviso report on fires- looks like La Palma is being controlled.
http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2012/08/05/actualidad/el-incendio-de-la-palma-podra-quedar-controlado-esta-noche/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Thanks! We could only see the fire and smoke from the west side yesterday but not today so I think the last part they are containing is probably the area nearest Tenerife (if you see what I mean) which is why you can still see the smoke from your side.

The wind has got up tonight ... hopefully not in the area of the fire.

junglejim
05-08-2012, 21:43
Thanks! We could only see the fire and smoke from the west side yesterday but not today so I think the last part they are containing is probably the area nearest Tenerife (if you see what I mean) which is why you can still see the smoke from your side.

The wind has got up tonight ... hopefully not in the area of the fire.
I can't see anything ! I'm in Scotland and it's very wet! Tenerife on Tuesday !

cainaries
05-08-2012, 22:00
I can't see anything ! I'm in Scotland and it's very wet! Tenerife on Tuesday !

LOL! Sorry! I very much hope that you won't be able to see anything on Tuesday either even when you are in Tenerife because it will all have been put out by then. I pray.

junglejim
05-08-2012, 22:04
LOL! Sorry! I very much hope that you won't be able to see anything on Tuesday either even when you are in Tenerife because it will all have been put out by then. I pray.

Yes I hope so - we have different problems with summer!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-19134969

cainaries
05-08-2012, 22:12
Either way ... unless it's horrendously bad ... you end up doing a whole load of cleaning. After the last fire here some friends of ours cleaned their house and terrace from top to bottom three times. Our friend said that after doing it the first time and wearing themselves right out they couldn't even see any difference.

But other people here have lost absolutely everything, finca burned to the ground, etc. animals killed. So cleaning isn't really as bad as that.

Malteser Monkey
05-08-2012, 22:15
C I hope you are ok and not in any danger hun?

cainaries
05-08-2012, 23:25
C I hope you are ok and not in any danger hun?

Thanks so much for asking. OK here at the moment though always worried about people affected by it. It's not as close as the big one a few weeks ago.

Just ironical in an awful way that it is so dry here and wet in the UK this summer ...

Megaloo
06-08-2012, 09:24
So pleased to hear that it is not as bad as the one weeks ago, but bad enough let us hope no more start. Stay safe C x

Canarian Weekly
06-08-2012, 15:10
WILD fires are still raging on two Canary Islands today; they’ve been burning out of control for 48 hours affecting the islands of La Gomera and La Palma and are still not stabilised or under control, according to the Minister of Economy, Finance and Security of the Canary Islands, Javier Gonzalez-Ortiz. Weather conditions are positive, [...]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/wild-fires-rage/)

pbasonuk
13-08-2012, 13:25
From the BBC "On La Gomera, the flames have consumed about 750 hectares (1,853 acres) of woodland in the Garajonay nature reserve, a Unesco World Heritage site, some of which is believed to have been in existence for millions of years. Officials have already said it will take at least three decades for the burned areas of the reserve to recover"

Absolutely devestating news. This island is one of the main reasons I am moving to Tenerife next year. To think it wont be accesible anymore :(

warbey
13-08-2012, 19:04
This Fire was on I.T.V. /Granada News early Evening too.