PDA

View Full Version : Utilities Gas Inspectors. How can I tell if they're legal?

bardofely
08-08-2012, 14:40
I just had a visit by two guys claiming to be doing gas inspections. I am pretty certain having let them in that they were con-men! Fortunately they only conned me as far as letting them here and they got no money from me.

They looked very official with blue shirts and overalls and the one carried a folder of official looking paperwork.

They spoke English as well as Spanish as I quickly discovered.

They looked at the gas cooker and the Butane gas bottle and pipes. They said that it had all run out as being safe in 2009 and pipes needed changing.

I said I don't own this place but only rent it so it is my landlady's problem not mine and you will have to speak to her but she doesn't live here.

They then said it was my problem because it was very dangerous. I said I have no money. They said hadn't I got a card? I said, no.

Then I asked how much they wanted and was told 40€ would cover everything. I repeated that there was no way I could pay that and they went to leave and did so.

I thought I had better post this in case this happens to anyone else who uses this forum.

It is my opinion that they are charging people for nothing that needs doing.

TenerifeTeddy
08-08-2012, 15:10
I don´t know about private property, but there are genuine gas inspectors who check out the gas pipes etc in businesses. The pipes have a year imprinted on them and AFAIK they must be replaced before the end of the year on the pipes. This happened in one of the bars I use, where the pipes were shown to be 4 years out of date, they had only just taken the bar over and just had to pay to get the pipes renewed and a new certificate issued.

cainaries
08-08-2012, 15:42
I just had a visit by two guys claiming to be doing gas inspections. I am pretty certain having let them in that they were con-men! Fortunately they only conned me as far as letting them here and they got no money from me.

They looked very official with blue shirts and overalls and the one carried a folder of official looking paperwork.

They looked at the gas cooker and the Butane gas bottle and pipes. They said that it had all run out as being safe in 2009 and pipes needed changing.

I said I don't own this place but only rent it so it is my landlady's problem not mine and you will have to speak to her but she doesn't live here.

They then said it was my problem because it was very dangerous. I said I have no money. They said hadn't I got a card? I said, no.

Then I asked how much they wanted and was told 40€ would cover everything. I repeated that there was no way I could pay that and they went to leave and did so.

I thought I had better post this in case this happens to anyone else who uses this forum.

Suspect you are lucky to get rid of them and am 99% certain it's a scam. Goes on here, too. Good thing you posted on here so others can beware.

bardofely
08-08-2012, 16:17
Surely landlords would be aware of this seeing as if an accident happened it would be in their property and could affect others too in a multiple apartment block like this?

canarybird
08-08-2012, 16:38
This is a known scam that has been going on for years. The official gas inspectors don't operate in this way. Don't let these guys in as they are just out to find as many "faults" as they can and skin you off for as much as they can. It's a racket despite the blue shirts and documents. Yes you need to have an inspection every 5 years to inspect tubing and connections but you must either contact the gas company to make an appointment for a checkup or wait until they contact the owner of the property by mail to arrange an inspection.

I always phone every 5 years to arrange for an official inspector to come around. When these cowboys come ringing my doorbell I either say I don't use gas anymore or I tell them to get lost. There have been warnings in the newspapers about these guys so don't fall for their act.

Canarybird

bardofely
08-08-2012, 16:57
Sounds like I was right then and I am glad I didn't pay them anything!

Mia
08-08-2012, 17:28
We had exactly the same thing happen last year. Unfortunately we had also let them in because they looked "official".

They pointed out that the date on the pipe had expired and said the regulator was not safe because the newer ones have a safety feature which ours didn't

Fortunately my husband is knowledgeable enough to realise they were trying to make money out of us especially when they quoted 40 Euros to make it safe.

He sent them packing and decided that they were probably right that we should have a new regulator and piping if they were out of date, so the next day we got these from a local ferretaria for next to nothing and my OH replaced them himself.

You definately did the right thing.

canarybird
08-08-2012, 18:13
Yes you did the right thing and you can read about these false gas inspectors here: "The gas scam"

(In Spanish)

http://www.periodistadigital.com/canarias/tenerife/2011/05/26/el-timo-del-gas.shtml

Most important is to know that the authentic inspectors don't come cold calling and only come when you have made an appointment with them.

Never open your door to anyone who comes without warning claiming to be a gas inspector.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

They also operate on the mainland where gangs of them have been arrested.

( In English)

http://www.roundtown.info/271-false-gas-inspectors-arrested.html#.UCKiKaYhIGQ.mailto

Sent from my iPad

bardofely
08-08-2012, 18:58
The one guy was trying to make me feel scared by the threat that unless I paid them I could have serious gas accident. I am sure many old people especially listen to all this and pay them.

deepdivejunkie
08-08-2012, 20:58
Golden rule for anyone of presumably official status who comes to your door... Ask to see I.D. and be able to confirm this by asking to phone their place of work. They should have a contact number preduceable on demand.

tracy hampshire
08-08-2012, 21:12
thanks for the warning, i am now pre warned if they are working in this area xx

cainaries
08-08-2012, 23:11
The one guy was trying to make me feel scared by the threat that unless I paid them I could have serious gas accident. I am sure many old people especially listen to all this and pay them.

Only old foreigners. I don't think they try this scam on locals who are more aware of the rules and regs than we are. We know one fairly elderly German couple here who paid them 40 euros and then rang everyone else to tell them to get their pipes checked etc.

They won't have any luck if they come here ... we haven't got any gas. I'm just waiting for them to knock so I can call the police!

canarybird
09-08-2012, 07:15
Golden rule for anyone of presumably official status who comes to your door... Ask to see I.D. and be able to confirm this by asking to phone their place of work. They should have a contact number preduceable on demand.

The problem with that is they can produce realistic looking ID and any phone number given for their "office" could just connect you to another member of their gang.

The best rule is to never open your door to them or let them set foot inside your home. Genuine gas inspectors don't come unless you call and make an appointment or on your receipt of a letter from the gas company advising you ahead of time of an upcoming inspection.

davship
09-08-2012, 08:01

The golden rule is CHECK ID. If they are genuine the id will have a phone number you can phone (before you let them in) to verify they are genuine. I have checked and this rule applies EVERYWHERE. If in doubt just shut the door if they are con men they will soon go away rather than make a scene.

Balcony
09-08-2012, 08:18
I think the warning should be to NEVER let anyone enter your home, no matter who they claim to be, if you are not expecting them and don't know who they are. Who knows a 'right' ID from a fake?

People renting holiday apartments, or newly arrived should be especially wary as they are less likely to know what to do.

candy2411
09-08-2012, 08:27
This thread is a great warning to people to be on their guard. Not just re gas men but all sorts of tradespeople.

In the UK there is a real problem with elderly people being conned by roofers,( who knock the door and say there's a problem with the roof when there isn't), tree cutters who say there are dangerous trees etc etc

There are TV programmes dedicated to the scams and very sad stories from people having been conned.

Glad you weren't conned Bardofely and thanks for warning everyone :hi:

bardofely
09-08-2012, 10:16
I think the warning should be to NEVER let anyone enter your home, no matter who they claim to be, if you are not expecting them and don't know who they are. Who knows a 'right' ID from a fake?

People renting holiday apartments, or newly arrived should be especially wary as they are less likely to know what to do.

The problem is that genuine official people can call at random. The men who read the water meter for example.

Balcony
09-08-2012, 16:02
In that respect we are fortunate in Tenerife that our electric and water meters are not in the apartment...and we don't have gas!

The problem is that genuine official people can call at random. The men who read the water meter for example.

bardofely
10-08-2012, 13:26
In that respect we are fortunate in Tenerife that our electric and water meters are not in the apartment...and we don't have gas!

Yes, you are lucky! I am used to random calls and not just the water meter readers but my landlady's father who collects the money for the electricity and the water and just shows up with the bills that get sent to her. If I don't have the cash here it is a problem and often I don't or if I do paying him uses up all I have! But I do know him, of course, so don't need to see ID!

warbey
10-08-2012, 19:51
Isuggest You take readings and work out the Bill for the period.
You would then know how much and would also be protecting against any errors..

Just a Thought.?

canarybird
22-04-2014, 12:02
22 April, 2014

As a warning....I had a fellow ring my garden doorbell yesterday saying he was there to do a gas inspection.
He was wearing a blue shirt with DISA (the name of the gas company) written on it in orange letters and carried a clipboard with a sheaf of papers.

I told him in no uncertain terms that I did not allow anyone claiming to be a gas inspector into my house on an unexpected call, and that I had already had an earlier inspection done by a company I had phoned to come and do it.

He was disappointed that I wouldn't let him in and insisted that he should be allowed in.
I turned my back on him and walked back into the house.

The police say never to let anyone in who claims to be a gas inspector. It's a scam. The gas companies do not send people out to knock on your door unannounced.
The scammers now wear clothing that resembles the real thing, have realistic looking papers and false IDs. Don't be fooled.

You do need to have an inspection every 5 years but it is up to the homeowner to call a genuine gas installation company and make an appointment for day and time.

So don't let anybody in that you haven't previously arranged to come to your home.
These criminals target foreigners, pensioners or those living alone and those who don't speak much Spanish.
So be warned and close your door on them, especially if they try to intimidate you.

A couple of previous warnings:

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news-spain/national/The_bad_gasman_cometh.shtml

http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/41178/daily-news-article.html

Norm de Plume
26-05-2014, 13:33
They made it to El Sauzal yesterday. Tried to charge me 400 Euros including 200 for a gas detector (20 Euros on Amazon) which they said was now compulsory.

tfs1
29-05-2014, 19:12
They were on our complex, apparently looking very smart, believeable and with offical looking paperwork/IDs - sadly they hadn't done their homework as we also don't have gas.

Nafnut
02-07-2014, 09:46
They were on our complex, apparently looking very smart, believeable and with offical looking paperwork/IDs - sadly they hadn't done their homework as we also don't have gas.

Doing the rounds in Los Abrigos aswell, 2 of my neighbours paid up yesterday :( They are supposed to be coming back to see me later......bring it on!!!

Norm de Plume
02-07-2014, 09:55
Any chance of calling the police?

Nafnut
03-07-2014, 09:29
Surprise surprise they did not return, already onto their next victims no doubt.