PDA

View Full Version : Other What type of trees are used for the topiary in Los Cristianos, Tenerife?

zada
09-08-2012, 09:53
i recently visited tenerife and there were lots of lovely trees that had pale trunks and they were clipped into round shapes (like umbrealla shape) and looked stunning. does anyone know what these trees are called. thanks

Suej
09-08-2012, 10:05
These trees are Ficus and won't tolerate British winters outside but make a good house plants! Welcome to the Forum!

zada
09-08-2012, 14:49
These trees are Ficus and won't tolerate British winters outside but make a good house plants! Welcome to the Forum!

thanks for the reply, what a shame they dont tolerate our winters, i thought they looked beautiful and fell in love with them and the place , Cheers

Balcony
09-08-2012, 16:05
I like those trees too. I even asked in the UK if one of the plants could be grafted to a special rootstock to get it to grow, but no luck. You could buy it as a houseplant and trying cutting min umbrellas!

Rickiebear
09-08-2012, 19:08
Hi, they would grow outside in pots, but you would need to bring then inside for the winter. A greenhouse kept to around 10 degrees, and fairly dry should be OK.

AL JAY
09-08-2012, 19:21
Ficus are part of the Fig family and there are 100s of varieties,I also like the ones found in Tenerife and have seen some similar at Tarleton specimen plants (Lancs) but they are very expensive!