PDA

View Full Version : What school should I put my children in when relocating to Tenerife?

Cherry
11-08-2012, 10:26
Hi all, as you can see I am new on here. My husband and I were married on Tenerife in June and we absolutely love it there. We have visited the Costa Adeje area many, many times and are now serious about relocating. My main concern is my two daughters education. The language barrier does not scare me as I know they will be picking up Spanish and making new friends in a heart beat. My issue is which school???? I have Spanish friends on the Island who tell me Luther King is excellent. Was just wandering if any of you out there has experience of this school? Also, we are coming out in December for a rece' and would like to take the girls to the schools. Any ideas folks? Your help and knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks for listening :spin:

willo-the-wisp
11-08-2012, 11:18
Sorry can't help you there Cherry, but a big welcome to the forum! http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa74/Pixielate/Welcome/53.gif

Cherry
11-08-2012, 12:05
Thanks for responding willo-the wisp. Any help we can get from sunny Tenerife will be much appreciated :c2:

waveydavey
11-08-2012, 12:23
Hello Cherry,
Welcome to the forum,it all depands how old your children are to decide a school.If they are young enough put them in a school where they speak Spanish as a first language,it's hard but they will appreciate learning and find it easier later .

sunspot
11-08-2012, 12:32
Hi Cherry,another who cant offer advice but a warm welcome to the forum

chifleta
11-08-2012, 12:44
welcome Cherry.... my son always went to a state school, mind you he is half Spanish and was born here.... but agree with previous comment, if they're young enough, get them in a state school, then you can think about private when they're in secondary school, that way you would have settled in... nothing is cheap and work is scarce, so extra advice, bring plenty of emergency money... oh, and good luck :) it's lovely here once you get into the swing of things..

Cherry
11-08-2012, 13:05
Thanks guys the girls are 8 and 10. I'm not worried really for the children regarding the language as they are sponges and I know will learn quickly (barr a few tears I'm sure). We are learning Spanish also, to give us all a head start. We are coming over in December and I am planning on setting up a few meetings at schools so we can all visit, I understand from previous threads etc. that spaces in schools are limited, so hopefully I can get their names down asap. We will also be looking at businesses so any advice etc.....sorry, seems I am want want want!!!! lol x

MrsTT
11-08-2012, 17:21
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Living-in-amp-Moving-to-Tenerife&s=&pp=20&daysprune=Beginning&sort=Last%20Post%20Time&order=desc&prefixid=Education
You need to look in this Living in Tenerife sub forum, select the prefix Education and you will find a wealth of information and opinion for you to work your way through to help you make your decision.

Cherry
11-08-2012, 20:07
Thanks MrsTT really helpful, I shall get a cuppa a have a read :spin:

AL JAY
11-08-2012, 20:10
Welcome to the forum Cherry! :tiphat:

slodgedad
12-08-2012, 02:58
:welcome: to the Forum.
Try typing Luther or King into the quick search facility.

Oce again, :welcome: to the Forum...

Javi
13-08-2012, 16:26
Hi Cherry,

Luther King is as least as good as state schools. If I were you I would not waste money in a private school. Private schools here are not going to offer you anything that you cannot find in a state one - in terms of education quality -.
Public/state education is Spain is good however, many Spanish people have a different opinion. Private ones offer a better face and better image but in essence they are interested only in your pocket.

All my friend and I studied in state primary schools, secondary school and universities and most of them got high paid jobs or are running their own business.

Private schools in Tenerife it is not a synonym of success in the future.

The best for your daughters will be the chance to learn a new language.

Finally, if you are looking for a 100% British school, then with no doubt at all, I would recommend you The Wingate School in cabo Blanco - quite expensive -.

Good luck and welcome to sunny but not working prospects island of Tenerife.

chifleta
13-08-2012, 17:25
Nicely put Javi, that's the first time i've read a students point of view... me, as a parent, always worried that my son (who is Spanglish) missed out from not having a more British education, although my mum told me that the UK education wasn't what it used to be anyway.

At the end of the day I think it comes down to:
a. the childs urge to learn, and
b. the parents way of helping them as much as possible at home....

I went to probably the worst school in Hampshire/Wiltshire, but my dad helped me enormously with my homework. I may not be an entrepreneur extraodinaire like my brother in the UK, but I live in Tenerife :neener: hehehe, so not done too bad for myself.

My lad always studied in state schools, and is now doing "modulos"? which are like college/further education courses. Whilst we can afford to support him, we prefer him to study for as long as possible, especially, like Javi says, working prospects are a bit dire here for the moment.

Just imagine if you end up spending all your hard earned cash on private schooling, and then realise you child will need further eduction because they weren't the best student in junior/secondry school, no matter how good the school is... it's a struggle more nowadays as a lot todays generation need it, things have changed, teenagers don't leave home at 17 (like I did) and become independant, nowadays they stay at home until they are about 25 years old (eeeeek), and i've decided that's going to be the case, and I actually told my lickle 19 year old baby that he'd be a fool to move out before then, that he should stay at home and take full advantage - as long as he's respectful to our house rules, which he is, then we will help him for as long as necessary :)

Now, as long as the Arona town hall give out the free bono buses on time this year purleassse, that would be a bonus.......

TenerifeTeddy
13-08-2012, 17:46
We have heard mixed reports of state schools here from students that have gone to them and to Wingate.

From what we have been told, the teachers in the state schools deliver the lesson, those that want to learn do so, but the ones that don't are ignored and left to their own devices. From what I have seen, many seem to leave at the earliest opportunity with no formal qualifications or training. I think if the children are likely to want to return to the UK to live and work at a later date, then obtaining UK recognised qualifications is a must.

We have had 2 English people who work(ed) for us, both went through the Spanish school system, both speak and write perfect Spanish, and speak perfect English, but both write and spell English as they hear it, and don't know how to use punctuation properly. This proved to be a serious problem for one of them when she returned to the UK to try and get a job as a bi-lingual secretary.

So you need to balance the education you receive, with what your needs are for the future.

Javi
13-08-2012, 18:39
I could not more agree with chifleta statment:

At the end of the day I think it comes down to:
a. the childs urge to learn, and
b. the parents way of helping them as much as possible at home....

And I would also add that as parents we need to find out what the motivation of our children are/has in order to work on the right way and give them a proper support. No school in Tenerife will do that for you.

chifleta
13-08-2012, 19:21
It's true, you have to find their motivation also ... my son always struggled in school, and at the time my Spanish was questionable, so I wasn't much help, and his dad worked long shifts, so again, not much help.. when he got to 4th year (4º de la ESO) secondary school, he had by then repeated a year due to failing exams. Luckily Guaza secondary offered selected children a special course for the 4th and 5th year called Divers (diversification) ... the teachers recommended students that they saw were willing to learn, but needed extra curriculum classes, so basically that's what my son did, he did all the normal lessons, but the basics (maths/Spanish) were more back to basics, so to speak).... it worked, he left with his basic qualifications.

I know what you mean TenerifeTeddy, but when my son was born I never even thought that he may want to move to UK LOL I didn't consider moving back, ever .... I do keep trying to push him to study his English more, but he's a typical teenager, speaks perfectly when he wants, throws in the occassional "whateverrr" and "innit" to wind me up :-)

He did do an IT course for a year or so, but it wasn't his forte, so he's now doing an Admin/Gestion course, which is going very well, with the hope that when he passes the second year, he can then go and do what he actually wants to do, which is a "superior modulo" in "sonido" (sound technician sort of thing)...

KirstyJay
16-08-2012, 17:00
From what we have been told, the teachers in the state schools deliver the lesson, those that want to learn do so, but the ones that don't are ignored and left to their own devices.

This is really subjective and depends completely on the school you attend. You have to really check out the schools and keep monitoring them, as teachers, unless they have a 'fijo' position, can move from a school even if they are good and have a good rapport. This is the system. You need to investigate the school and make sure it has a good team. I think the comments above are correct for some schools but certainly not for all. One of the schools I worked in spent a lot of time on the children that were left behind or not as academic, whereas the other school I worked in was as described, but mainly because the behaviour problems there prevented it from being any other way.

We have had 2 English people who work(ed) for us, both went through the Spanish school system, both speak and write perfect Spanish, and speak perfect English, but both write and spell English as they hear it, and don't know how to use punctuation properly. This proved to be a serious problem for one of them when she returned to the UK to try and get a job as a bi-lingual secretary.

But if you are a student in a Spanish school you learn English as a SECOND language (L2), not as a native (L1). If you study a foreign language in the UK, then you do so at a L2 level too. L2 will focus on conversation, especially at primary level, as the main emphasis is being able to have a conversation, not spell or punctuate. This level of English is only taught at L2 in Instituto (secondary level), and not until Bachillerato (AS/A-Level). If you have a bilingual child and you want them to learn English at L1 level, then you must be prepared to pay for a private tutor. You should not expect the Spanish system to provide a level of English equivalent to the UK. :)

Javi
16-08-2012, 18:10
I think that another key element to success is, as Kirstyjay mentioned, monitoring, not only the school but your children' daily performance as well.
I do not know why, by it is really hard to find any canarian on the street who speak well or say something good about state schools (...social security, public infrastructures or anything related with public services). Therefore, when you come to one of them to check their opinion about public matters (in our case, state schools) you will almost always get a negative (or destructive) criticism.
Good, not so good and bad professionals could be found in everywhere. Most of the time, the educational quality delivered to students don't depend on the school.
Another point to think about it; what is the role of the association of parents? Are they monitoring the school development and performance?
Finally, we cannot pretend that our children speak and writing fluent English if are studying in a state/private Spanish school. It is sad but true, the English language teaching in our schools even at "Bachillerato" level is simply a rubbish. How many canarians do you know who can speak an acceptable English?
Regards,

Javi.

TenerifeTeddy
16-08-2012, 18:30
But if you are a student in a Spanish school you learn English as a SECOND language (L2), not as a native (L1). If you study a foreign language in the UK, then you do so at a L2 level too. L2 will focus on conversation, especially at primary level, as the main emphasis is being able to have a conversation, not spell or punctuate. This level of English is only taught at L2 in Instituto (secondary level), and not until Bachillerato (AS/A-Level). If you have a bilingual child and you want them to learn English at L1 level, then you must be prepared to pay for a private tutor. You should not expect the Spanish system to provide a level of English equivalent to the UK. :)

I completely agree, the point I was trying to make was that if they only attend Spanish school, then they will have a problem when/if they return to the UK, because their written English language & spelling skills will be poor.
The girl I was referring to didn't realise this until she went for the interviews for bi-lingual secretary, of which she had 3 lined up, before arriving back in the UK. She ended up spending a year working first in a supermarket, then a bar, then finally night shifts in a nursing home, before returning deflated to Tenerife. To her credit she signed up for an 18 month hair and beauty course at a Spanish college, and now 3 years on works full time in a salon in Las Americas.

KirstyJay
16-08-2012, 19:44
The problem with Spanish schools is because of the rules regarding the employment of teachers, it can be very hit and miss to find a good school vs a bad one.... but I have seen comments on here before from members who have been amazed that their children haven't been learning English to the level in the UK, to which I always wonder, 'Why?' I didn't learn French to the level of a native in my primary school when I was a kid! :D Anyway... the level of English teaching in Spanish State schools is non-existent at the moment, as there are no native auxiliares anywhere in the Canaries. My ex-students' parents have actually told me their children's level of English has deteriorated rapidly since I left which is very sad for them. :(

As far as my business goes though, it's great... however it saddens me that the Consejeria de Educación are basically making it so that only children whose parents have the means or the inclination to educate them get the chance of a second language, which they so desperately need in order to compete in the job market of the future in Tenerife.

zoe70_1
12-10-2012, 00:52
Hi Cherry,

We appear to be in the same situation as you. We are also in the early stages of moving to Tenerife and we have a 9 year old son.

Have you thought anymore about which school your girls will go to? My son speaks no Spanish and I'm worried that placing him into a Spanish speaking school will be very daunting. On the plus side he would pick up the language very quick!! Its a mind field isn't it. We have placed Tom onto the waiting list at Wingate but I'm worried that we will be in a position to move before a place is available.

I hope your move goes well and whatever you decide for your girls I hope they settle.
Thanks, Zoe

MrsTT
11-12-2013, 15:36
Zoe - We currently have spaces at Callao Learning Centre and have several children working with us whilst they wait for a space at Wingate. More information on our webpage - see the link in my signature.

gntjones
13-03-2014, 21:20
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?10-Living-in-amp-Moving-to-Tenerife&s=&pp=20&daysprune=Beginning&sort=Last%20Post%20Time&order=desc&prefixid=Education
You need to look in this Living in Tenerife sub forum, select the prefix Education and you will find a wealth of information and opinion for you to work your way through to help you make your decision.

Hi Mrs TT
Can you post that link again please, it doesn't seem to be working - thanks

gntjones
13-03-2014, 21:28
Hi Javi
Would you mind telling me where you went to school at all, or what public schools you would recommend.
I have a 15 year old son, who is British, but a lot of his time was brought up in the Canadian school system, so am looking for a school that is good, but friendly to outsiders ?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thank you Nicky

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

This is the case in any country you live in, we have lived in NZ, Canada and England - anywhere you live your child will need the right encouragement to succeed, it's not the school system at blame here, but the support all around - school, home and of course the child wanting it has to be there, else you are just fighting a losing battle

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Javi
Would you mind telling me where you went to school at all, or what public schools you would recommend.
I have a 15 year old son, who is British, but a lot of his time was brought up in the Canadian school system, so am looking for a school that is good, but friendly to outsiders ?
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thank you Nicky

MrsTT
14-03-2014, 23:01
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?88-Schools-Education-amp-Childcare-in-Tenerife

charlote
31-03-2014, 13:51
Hello, depends where you come from. We are french but always lived outside france, so we put our son in Wingate school and we are very happy about it.