PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best way to get internet access for 10 weeks in north Tenerife?

curriegirl
11-08-2012, 16:40
Hi, can't find the right thread, but hoping someone can help me.
We are coming to Tenerife North at the end of September and would like to get the cheapest access for the internet.
We are bringing our laptop with us, and I know we can go to wi-fi cafes but would rather do this from the apartment.
I believe there is a dongle or something like that you can purchase.
I am not very goods with these things but would appreciate some help.
We will only be in Puerto de la cruz so want to purchase this around here.
Hope someone can help me.

edsa
11-08-2012, 17:27
Mas movil might be right for you http://www.masmoviltienda.es/
If you do a search you will probably find a site with details in English

curriegirl
12-08-2012, 13:22
thanks will check it out

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

RIGHT, AM I BEING REALLY SILLY HERE AND THINKING MASMOVIL IS FOR INTERNET ON YOUR MOBILE???

I have checked out the website and from what I can make out you can get 5 megabites for 29 euros per month.
This is for internet only and that would be fine, I just don't know whether this is for your mobile phone or laptop.

We are bringing a laptop.
We have an orange mobile we use in Tenerife, but it is just a basic phone, which is all we need for a few months at a time.

I just want to plug one of these usb things into the laptop and get the internet.

We have a mac and are used to a very high speed here in the uk, so looking for something similar.

Is this possible???? help please!!!

junglejim
12-08-2012, 19:32
As far as I remember ,you will either have to bring an unlocked Dongle , or buy one here, the you will have to buy a sim with data at
around €40 a month for a limited data download , nothing like UK -I donīt know about Mac compatability ,but to do it any other way will be expensive !
You can find a local bar with WIFI but it will be limited in speed !
Itīs €34 plus taxes here for WIFI i your apartment and 5Mb/s speed ,welcome to Tenerife!
You will have to visit a Movistar shop for information whwn you get here !

carpenter
12-08-2012, 19:55
A couple of things you will need to make things easier are an NIE number and a Spanish bank account.

I could be wrong but Mas mobile offer several different packages. The prices depend on predicted usage.

It is possible to get a prepay dongle with them but this does work out very expensive, they also offer automatic top up but this can run out of control if not closely monitored . Being that it's only for a short period I would simply suggest contacting Tenerife WIFI or perhaps just using one of the many WIFI hotspots. Most bars are offering them now as are shopping centres.

Megaloo
12-08-2012, 19:59
I am not a technical person as I think you know? But when my Son was here a few weeks ago and my Internet was playing up he bought a vodaphone dongle for 39 Euros to use as back up as he needed to work but the speed was not brilliant. But then I do not get a great speed even with my ADSL .

carpenter
12-08-2012, 20:07
Check out your mobile providers roaming charges in the UK. It may work out a lot cheaper just to bring a UK mobile dongle with you. There are companies elsewhere in the world that offer holiday internet packages but I'm not sue if Tenerife has that luxury. Again Tenerife WIFI is trying to set up this system here I believe but I don;t know how far they've got with it

I am not a technical person as I think you know? But when my Son was here a few weeks ago and my Internet was playing up he bought a vodaphone dongle for 39 Euros to use as back up as he needed to work but the speed was not brilliant. But then I do not get a great speed even with my ADSL .

Was he able to just buy it? No ID or NIE?

Beachwatcher
12-08-2012, 20:15
We are in callao Salvaje in the south and Internet to this area is very poor altho San juan and paraiso have 5 x the speed!
We use a computer here in our apt which we visit for say 4-6 wks at a time
We use a Vodafone dongle which is supposed to be the best and have done for nearly 7/8 yrs
We got the dongle from vodafone shop initially which came with some free Gb..in theory to last a month..but it lasted 3 days as the pc we had here had Never been on tne net so it used all it's powers updating the pc!
So update your pc before you come out....
However it's been great since, we top it up to last 30 days at a time for about 20 euros for 1Gb.
We use wifi tho on iPad wherever possible to reduce demands on data.dell pc is too big we feel to carry around
Vodafone used to do a stronger 2 gb one which let u use Skype ..this one doesn't but but...I am on an iPad doing this and have a wi fi router I got from Nevada electrical below us..he also tops up vodafone dongles so no travel hassle!
And if I go to paraiso wifi cafe I can use the Skype there so expect puertonde la cruz has lots of powers too!
HOpe this helps...
The router in our apt has been great.

[QUOTE=carpenter;207216]Check out your mobile providers roaming charges in the UK. It may work out a lot cheaper just to bring a UK mobile dongle with you. There are companies elsewhere in the world that offer holiday internet packages but I'm not sue if Tenerife has that luxury. Again Tenerife WIFI is trying to set up this system here I believe but I don;t know how far they've got with it

Ah yes...I think wen we first got the dongle...see my reply... They took our passport info..we have ine but can't remember if they wanted those
Then once you are registered on tnat dongle u just top it up taking the box it came with as that has all the codes on it

I think it's very very unlikely u could use an English one here.we looked into that. Very dear but all things change don't they

Megaloo
12-08-2012, 20:38
Check out your mobile providers roaming charges in the UK. It may work out a lot cheaper just to bring a UK mobile dongle with you. There are companies elsewhere in the world that offer holiday internet packages but I'm not sue if Tenerife has that luxury. Again Tenerife WIFI is trying to set up this system here I believe but I don;t know how far they've got with it

Was he able to just buy it? No ID or NIE?

I believe he just used his passport to purchase the dongle

tracy hampshire
12-08-2012, 20:59
i have a vodafone dongle here, it costs me 19 euros a month, but is slow, but ok for what i need, for the best deals here, you need a spanish bank account, mine is a 1 month rolling contract that i can cancel anytime after the first month, but needed an account here to open it, maybe you would be better checking out your options at home first, because it is very expensive over here .

karinagal
12-08-2012, 21:06
I have an unlocked dongle you can have. You can find Spanish data sim cards on eBay .... I got one posted to me in the UK along with the unlocked dongle.. Wasn't cheap to use - the sim was on Vodafone - but we now have adsl so don't need it any more..

The undisputed queen of de-nial

curriegirl
13-08-2012, 17:36
a bank account and a NIE is fine as we have this already.
Not sure if I wanted any sort of contract, even one I can cancel anytime after the first month, as I can imagine, we would be back in UK and they would still be taking the money out of the account.
The dongle sounds a good idea. I will try checking out the vodafone site.

Thank you all for your help. If I get confused, I will be back on again.
thanks

melm
13-08-2012, 18:58
About two years ago i purchased a dongle from the Moviestar shop (at the top end of the Plaza del charco). think at that time it was about 30euros...and i am sure i needed my passport to do this.

They are very good and helpful in this shop and speak very good English. because i am not very good with technology they installed the dongle for me.

It is not cheap at 20euros for one weeks usage but having asked opinions of other providers this one seems to have a better speed.

When i am about to leave to come home i pop into the shop and leave 5euros and they top up for me in 6months time to keep my number active and avoid having to purchase a new dongle.

Hope you can understand my ramblings...not very good at explaining these things.

let me know if i can be of any help to you.....and if you find something better let me know.

Beachwatcher
13-08-2012, 19:27
I don't think we needed bank acct info to buy dongle..just passports...yes I think it was about 39 euros for initial dongle and data, but it is slow...nothing u can do about that..but am on i pad again doing this and is not that bad
Ur only here for ten weeks aren't you?
Yes a contract is faster and more gb but you don't need it
Go to wifi cafes as much as poss and get dongle for in apt
We managed 8 years like that on holiday

Brian
13-08-2012, 20:28
About two years ago i purchased a dongle from the Moviestar shop (at the top end of the Plaza del charco). think at that time it was about 30euros...and i am sure i needed my passport to do this.

They are very good and helpful in this shop and speak very good English. because i am not very good with technology they installed the dongle for me.

It is not cheap at 20euros for one weeks usage but having asked opinions of other providers this one seems to have a better speed.

When i am about to leave to come home i pop into the shop and leave 5euros and they top up for me in 6months time to keep my number active and avoid having to purchase a new dongle.

Hope you can understand my ramblings...not very good at explaining these things.

let me know if i can be of any help to you.....and if you find something better let me know.

Yes I did the same when we first moved here. The shop is in Calle Blanco, just off of Plaza del Charco. His name is Manesh and he has been there for years, really helpful.

curriegirl
14-08-2012, 20:19
thanks for that, might take you up on that offer. I will pm you. thanks again

thanks Brian, hubby knows the shop. Will investigate when we arrive.