PDA

View Full Version : Business Chat Would our bakery business be viable in Tenerife?

ruffus
11-08-2012, 22:38
Thinking of opening a small home made bakery locale, selling all home made products such as : Steak pies, Mince and Onion pies, pasties, Sausage Rolls, Home made curries, chilli con Carne, Home made Potato salad, Home made Coleslaw.
Home made sweets such as, Fruit pies, Fruit Crumble, Cheesecakes and assorted cakes. We already have let the public try some of our home made food, and have had a very good response, as it is all fresh, tasty, and value for money.
I would like to know if any one, or any bar would be interested in having this supplied to them.
Pm myself for any enquiries.
Thank you

AL JAY
11-08-2012, 23:32
Sounds like a great idea, Years ago i used to go to a bakery locale in Puerto Colon and there used to be queue's everyday to buy fresh crusty bread and rolls and all kinds of delicious Cakes and Danish pastries! In fact im salivating whilst writing this and will have to see whats in the fridge :laugh:

ps.Good luck and best wishes,Go for it!

pps.Come on bar owners give ruffus some business!

fesdie
12-08-2012, 00:05
Thinking of opening a small home made bakery locale, selling all home made products such as : Steak pies, Mince and Onion pies, pasties, Sausage Rolls, Home made curries, chilli con Carne, Home made Potato salad, Home made Coleslaw.
Home made sweets such as, Fruit pies, Fruit Crumble, Cheesecakes and assorted cakes. We already have let the public try some of our home made food, and have had a very good response, as it is all fresh, tasty, and value for money.
I would like to know if any one, or any bar would be interested in having this supplied to them.
Pm myself for any enquiries.
Thank you

Good luck with your new venture, the food sounds great. I will pass this on to people I know who may be interested. Where will you be based?

ruffus
12-08-2012, 05:55
Thanks fesdie. Hopefully we will be based 5 minutes away from Chayofa, close to Los Cristianos. We will be doing deliveries to.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks AL JAY. I believe there is a niche in the market for " good, tasty,filling, good priced " produce. A locale has become available in the right location.... I just wanted feedback on what people think about it, my mind is " nearly " made up :yum:

Leam_Lin
12-08-2012, 08:18
Sounds like a great idea, Years ago i used to go to a bakery locale in Puerto Colon and there used to be queue's everyday to buy fresh crusty bread and rolls and all kinds of delicious Cakes and Danish pastries! In fact im salivating whilst writing this and will have to see whats in the fridge :laugh:

ps.Good luck and best wishes,Go for it!

We also used the bakery at the port, OH fetched the bread while I grilled the bacon, yum.
Ruffus I hope you go for it & make it successful, only hope its in the San Eugenio area.

Rickiebear
12-08-2012, 08:56
Hi, I wish you the very best of luck. Are you looking for a local market, or one for visitors. One market may be packed meals for low cost flight passengers.

Megaloo
12-08-2012, 09:05
Would be lovely to have something like that in the North,:cheeky: But probably not so many expats here as down South:goodluck:

cainaries
12-08-2012, 10:11
Years ago OH and I watched a tv programme about a young British couple who had opened a bakery in, I think, Marbella. The guy was a professional baker and had shipped out his ovens. Started with just a few items like sausage rolls and his shop was filled from the first morning. The girl-friend went out with samples to local British bars and came back with loads of orders. It was TOO successful! They had moved for a gentler life in the sun, to spend more time with the kids and he was working flat out 7 days a week trying to keep up with the orders.

So, it might easily be very successful!

Rickiebear
12-08-2012, 10:50
Hi, I also remember that programme. And one that had brought English Fish & Chips to an expat community. If you are looking at the expat market. Look to see what we all miss.

So I will start that off, custard slices and carrot cake.

What else do the rest of you miss?

primrose
12-08-2012, 11:30
Hi, I also remember that programme. And one that had brought English Fish & Chips to an expat community. If you are looking at the expat market. Look to see what we all miss.

So I will start that off, custard slices and carrot cake.

What else do the rest of you miss?

Vegetarian sausage rolls, butter pie which is a Lancashire thing potato pasties [no meat], and real mushy peas the ones you soak overnight to go with the pies,and Manchester tart and an Elephant's foot.

cainaries
12-08-2012, 11:40
Was talking to a Spanish friend the other day who thought 'Fish and Chips' would sell locally as well as neither ingredient is 'foreign' ... not sure about mushy peas though.

Suej
12-08-2012, 12:15
Quality is the key imo! if ingredients are good people will pay! some of the rubbish Iceland produce! quite a bit is really disgusting! anyone who's bought pies in there will tell you they are full of fatty mush and unidentifiable bits of chewy gristle! the low end of the market is well covered here! Any chance of some nice bangers??! Eerr with MEAT!!! Good luck I'll be your first customer!:goodluck:

Rickiebear
12-08-2012, 13:27
Hi, the answer is to import quality ingrediants direct from the UK. After all there are enough flights coming. You may also be able to sell those well loved foods we all miss, Bisto, Oxo, Heinz tomato sauce, Yorkshire tea, etc. This would bring people into the shop daily, it's up to you then to sell them other items. Made to order, Christmas & Wedding cakes, Christmas puddings would also sell.

Megaloo
12-08-2012, 13:44
i think you will find Bisto and the likes are readily available in Al Campo and I have bought Heinz tomato sauce in Lidl, so maybe they may not be worth bothering with, but certainly some home made goodies I am sure will do really well.

primrose
12-08-2012, 13:47
Hi, the answer is to import quality ingrediants direct from the UK. After all there are enough flights coming. You may also be able to sell those well loved foods we all miss, Bisto, Oxo, Heinz tomato sauce, Yorkshire tea, etc. This would bring people into the shop daily, it's up to you then to sell them other items. Made to order, Christmas & Wedding cakes, Christmas puddings would also sell.

You can get all these things in Iceland.

atlantico
12-08-2012, 20:59
the few that have come and gone - went because they were way too expensive. You can't expect to get €3-4 for a pasty in a bakery, just like Greggs, it need to be sub €2

tracy hampshire
12-08-2012, 22:14
i think there is already a company in the south that supplies most of the bars with a full range of english products, from pies, pasties, burgers, sausage, chilli, curry, ribs to a full range of sweets, i live in the north but the bar i worked in use them, so do most of the others here, so you might be looking to aim at more the man on the street, i personally have found a lack of good takeaway, sandwiches, salads etc, what i would do for a carvery roast beef sandwich, but then again i´m in the north & don´t really know what is available in the south , good look with your new venture

carolethatch
29-08-2012, 10:57
There is a small supermarket near our apartment who do slices of proper home made steak pie, apple pie, pasties(not like the british ones though), warm baguettes with any filling, including british bacon. It is packed every day, but all prices are 2.50euros, so have to sell a lot to make a profit.

ruffus
29-08-2012, 20:34
The business is starting. Please pm for prices of all HOME MADE Meat filled pies, pasties, quiches, sausages rolls, cheesecakes, Fillings and not just Pastry

primrose
29-08-2012, 20:42
The business is starting. Please pm for prices of all HOME MADE Meat filled pies, pasties, quiches, sausages rolls, cheesecakes, Fillings and not just Pastry

Will you be doing any vegetarian pies and pasties as Vegetarians are not well catered for on Tenerife.

ruffus
29-08-2012, 21:05
Yes we will be Primrose. Can you have short crust pasty, as that has lard in it, made from Beef ? Do you eat eggs, cheese. It all depends on how Vegetarian you are

primrose
29-08-2012, 21:45
Yes we will be Primrose. Can you have short crust pasty, as that has lard in it, made from Beef ? Do you eat eggs, cheese. It all depends on how Vegetarian you are

Only Vegetarian because I don't like meat so lard, eggs,cheese no problem.

ruffus
29-08-2012, 22:03
Not a problem, we will be doing Veggie Pasties, Veggies Sausage rolls, cheese and onion quiche and pies. All we will need is 48 hour notice, and we will bake them to order. I can promise that Vegetarians and Meat eaters will love our pastries.

AL JAY
29-08-2012, 23:09
Good luck with your new venture ruffus!

ruffus
29-08-2012, 23:31
So anyone, or any bars, give us a try, as the saying goes, " You've tried the rest, NOW try the best ". One taste and you will be hooked

samnickgodber
30-08-2012, 08:48
Hey Max, Good luck to you guy´s i hope it works out for you,,,
I know this is a long shot but what about lacto/diary free stuff too,,, I love to eat sausage rolls ect but can´t because of all the eggs and butter in the pastry, i have never found any lacto free butter/marg over here (milk yes and the odd times cheese),
Do you think you´d be able to do this?
Ask Brenda she´ll tell you how bad i am with butter and egg´s x

Megaloo
30-08-2012, 09:23
What about the North any hope of trying your goodies here? I think if enough of us got together we may be able to make it worth while?

Forgive me if this has already been asked but have not had time to read all the postings:ashamed:

ruffus
30-08-2012, 09:30
I understand Megaloo, we are not setting up shops or anything like that. The best we can come up with so far, is that you could order items with us, and in 48 hours they would be ready to pick up. Special orders would be 72 hours notice we would need. If you, or someone could come to the South, or meet in the middle, then we could get your good to you that way.
We are starting out small, and he does all the baking, which can take hours, depending on what is ordered. Hope that helps in a little way for you, Sorry

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I understand Megaloo, we are not setting up shops or anything like that. The best we can come up with so far, is that you could order items with us, and in 48 hours they would be ready to pick up. Special orders would be 72 hours notice we would need. If you, or someone could come to the South, or meet in the middle, then we could get your good to you that way.
We are starting out small, and he does all the baking, which can take hours, depending on what is ordered. Hope that helps in a little way for you, Sorry

Megaloo
30-08-2012, 14:50
Thank you that is a possibility to perhaps meet up when we visit Iceland which we do on occasions.

Have you a price list? Would it be possible to PM derails of what is on offer

tracy hampshire
30-08-2012, 22:27
if you pm me your price list i will give it to the english bars in puerto de la cruz, you never know it might be worth a visit every few weeks , good luck .

ruffus
16-09-2012, 11:56
Megaloo and Tracy Hampshire, I have sent you a pm with a list of items and prices that we have started doing, anyone else who would like a price list, please pm. Thank you :duh:

tracy hampshire
18-09-2012, 08:35
was wanting a phone number for my friend, when i tried to send you the pm, he is not on the forum, so if you could pm me one that would be great x

ruffus
18-09-2012, 08:40
P.M. sent tracy hampshire xx

ruffus
24-09-2012, 10:53
Baileys, Ameretto, white chocolate and M+M´s CHEESECAKE!!!!
Home made Corned Beef Pasties, Cornish Pasties, and Steak and Veg Pasties. Home made Plate pies such as Steak, Mince and Onion, Sausage Rolls, Quiches and Cheesecakes are all available to order. Please pm for details

Red Devil
24-09-2012, 12:01
Good luck with everything, hope it all goes well.
My wish would be to be able to buy a sandwich in a teacake, bap, oven bottom, muffin or whatever you want to call it, (depending which part of UK you are from) instead of a baguette sometimes, nice as they are.
Also a vanilla slice, Greenhalghs pies and Warburtons bread and crumpets would be fantastic - that Kingsmill or whatever, that they sell in Iceland is rubbish.
There was a small pie shop that opened by Garden City in San Eugenio, supposed to be all English produce, it wasnt good and so expensive, pies didnt taste like anything I had ever eaten, anyway it didnt last long, now closed down I think.

ruffus
22-10-2012, 17:36
Glad to say that the business is doing well. We have orders from bars, and lots of happy customers. Thank you all

Rickiebear
28-10-2012, 20:38
Hi, well done you have clearly worked hard to make it the success it is.

ruffus
28-10-2012, 20:58
Hi, well done you have clearly worked hard to make it the success it is.
Thank you. It has been achieved by my good advertising technique and then word of mouth. I have been told by one bar owner,that the pies are the best that they have ever tasted on this island. My partner has been a chef for over fourty years, and knows his business, which helps quite a lot :)