PDA

View Full Version : Is there any aftercare and advice for cancer patients in Tenerife?

mariben
13-08-2012, 14:32
I know in Tenerife there is Cancer reseach, and I also know people who have done the Walk of Life, but I did wonder if there was any aftercare or advice for cancer patients on the Island. I have been told the medical care cannot be faulted, but it would help if there was somebody you could talk to by phone or a meeting place arranged by patient to talk about the treatment beforehand and after, also how they coped during there treatment. Many of us are lucky enough to have a partner to talk to but there are others who are on there own, and having to go through this alone
is not something I would like to do, knowing you can pick up the phone and talk to someone who has been through it and they know what your going through would be a great help to them.

casabonny
13-08-2012, 16:27
I am sure that there is this facility but probably only in Spanish.I know that the aecc do fantastic work and that they do have some staff that speak some English so why not give them a call and ask.
If you do. Ot speak fluent Spanish then maybe ask your local GP if they have any English speaking patients who have had cancer treatment .Of course it does depend on the type of cancer you are referring to as most people know people who have had or do have cancer of some sort and maybe we could then introduce you .A bit more info will probably prompt others to post .

mariben
14-08-2012, 14:06
Thank you for your reply, This is for my friend and she does not speak Spanish, but she did think there must be people in the same position as her who do speak English and would be happy to talk to others about there treatment before and after. We understand there are many type's of cancer and know two people react in the same way to the treatment, but talking to someone who has gone through it would help you understand a bit more. This has been a very stressful time for her during all her treatment, and at times she was very low, and depressed.
I am delighted to say my friend has finished her treatment and yesterday went up to the hospital for her results, and all was clear, she does not have to return to the hospital for 3 months, this is wonderful news, she is so pleased to be able to get on with her life, it will take time but she is a determined person and she will do just fine.

nurse ratchet
14-08-2012, 17:15
Thank you for your reply, This is for my friend and she does not speak Spanish, but she did think there must be people in the same position as her who do speak English and would be happy to talk to others about there treatment before and after. We understand there are many type's of cancer and know two people react in the same way to the treatment, but talking to someone who has gone through it would help you understand a bit more. This has been a very stressful time for her during all her treatment, and at times she was very low, and depressed.
I am delighted to say my friend has finished her treatment and yesterday went up to the hospital for her results, and all was clear, she does not have to return to the hospital for 3 months, this is wonderful news, she is so pleased to be able to get on with her life, it will take time but she is a determined person and she will do just fine.
I have just finished 14 months of cancer treatment here in Tenerife, only last week was I given the all clear. If your friend would like to share experiences then please feel free to PM me with her contact details and I will happily talk with her.

mariben
14-08-2012, 18:32
Thank you for your reply. I have sent PM with contact details.