PDA

View Full Version : Other I am thinking of moving to the UK. Where should I go?

Javi
13-08-2012, 16:32
Hi everyone,

I am thinking in moving to UK in September and I need to choose a place.

Just let me know, in your opinion or under your own experience, what the best places to find a job are.

Altough I am working within the health and safety field I also have other previous experiences (waiter, kitchen assistant, hotel receptionist, warehouse operative...).

Thanks in advanced for your comments,:wink:

Javi.

chifleta
13-08-2012, 17:54
I haven't lived in UK for 20 years so couldn't even begin to give you suggestions.... but good luck in your quest :) maybe if you can find a temping agency within the area you're moving to first, might be worth a try, so that it gives you time to check out the area!

Javi
13-08-2012, 18:43
Hi Chifleta,

Many thanks.

carpenter
13-08-2012, 19:16
September is a difficult time to move anywhere that has a tourist industry.
Most of the Temp summer jobs would have finished and more people are actively seeking work. Kids gone back to school and Mum's are looking for part time work as are College and Uni students
Your skills in hospitality are advantageous but common.

Temp agencies are definitely the way to go at the mo as no one is hiring. Wages are better but obviously security is less. In saying that no job is secure in the UK until you have worked for that company for 2 years.

Good luck. It is easier to find work in the UK for the simply fact it doesn't cost the employer a fortune to try you out for a couple of weeks.

warbey
13-08-2012, 19:25
Good luck in Your search.

Health and safety could be an option, but You need to have some qualifications

in E..U. Standards I should think, to be acceptable in the U.K.

There are more than a few Eastern Europeans over most of the Country now, so a good Job will be hard to find.

Not impossible though for the Right Persona

Javi
13-08-2012, 19:48
Thank you Carpenter and warbey for your comments.

I have good qualification and experienced as health and safety advisor buy before going for a position within this field I need to improve my English. For that, I think that working in lower paid job it will me the chance to enhance my English skills.

Someone suggested me to go to Southeast nera London:confused:

warbey
13-08-2012, 20:03
A Cruise Liner Company would also be an option?

Your English is good. Speaking is harder, so Yes, practice is needed.

Once again.. Good Luck..

carpenter
13-08-2012, 20:26
Thank you Carpenter and warbey for your comments.

I have good qualification and experienced as health and safety advisor buy before going for a position within this field I need to improve my English. For that, I think that working in lower paid job it will me the chance to enhance my English skills.

Someone suggested me to go to Southeast nera London:confused:

I agree with the boats. A good area that is extremely accepting of different cultures and nationalities is Brighton just South of London.
Ports of Dover,Newhaven,Portsmouth,Poole and Plymouth are also good options for multilingual people especially Plymouth that has a Spanish crossing.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Try Condor Ferries in Poole they hire quite a bit

Javi
14-08-2012, 08:21
Hi!

I love maritime industry. In fact, I have got a BSc (hons) in maritime transport but very little experience in this business. I am going to try to contact with some maritime companies.

Thnaks,

Javier.

Ed3229
14-08-2012, 08:36
Portsmouth (now got to wash my mouth out) has lots of ferry's going to France and Spain......Give this a look :goodluck:

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/

Skeggy
14-08-2012, 08:44
With your general life skills why not apply to Wetherspoons who are always seeking bar staff, it may not be what you want but would give you an opportunity to get over here and assess different areas and opportunites in health and safety and other situations for which you are qualified.......It will not be easy.....

carpenter
14-08-2012, 09:31
Portsmouth (now got to wash my mouth out) has lots of ferry's going to France and Spain......Give this a look :goodluck:

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/

Spoken like a true scummer :lol:

Megaloo
14-08-2012, 10:36
Also Southampton has many cruise liners leave from there on a regular basis.

Javi
14-08-2012, 22:27
Many thanks Ed3229 for your link, very useful