PDA

View Full Version : Health Vaccination information

Cousincas
14-08-2012, 14:55
After getting a 9 week old puppy at the beginning of July, I started the vaccination procedure straight away. Three weeks later the pup had his 2nd vaccination and today he's had his third. I was amazed when the vet told me he needs another in three weeks time and he shouldn't be on the street for another 4 weeks. This seems an awful long time to me, we both need a decent walk. I'm interested to know what other pup owners have been told as looking on the internet there seems to be no hard and fast rules about this.

timmylish
14-08-2012, 15:41
In the case of both of the dogs we have had since they were pups I did not let either out on these streets until AFTER they were 4 months old. So many nasties going around Tenerife I,m afraid! Why pay for the services of a vet and not take their advice?

Ed3229
14-08-2012, 16:15
I breed springer spaniels and have just sold a litter and kept one pup for my collection.....All the pups have had 1st jab at 8 weeks (Duramune) and will have 2nd jab at 10 weeks.At 12 weeks the can go out on the ground and walks.You can carry the pup outside after 1st jab but don't let on the floor....

You could have different jabs to us in uk.....I know in the uk we have two types the other type does take longer before you can take out your dog.I would wait because not all dogs are vaccinated and it could kill the pup.

Cousincas
14-08-2012, 16:30
Thanks for the replies. Timmylish, I HAVE taken the advice of the vet, but speaking to other people their vets have given them different time frames I was just interested to hear what other vets have advised. Ed, His first jab at 9 weeks was Duramune, his second at 12 weeks was Vanguard and today was Vanguard again, that's another thing I found odd as I thought Duramune was a course of jabs.

Ed3229
14-08-2012, 16:38
Thanks for the replies. Timmylish, I HAVE taken the advice of the vet, but speaking to other people their vets have given them different time frames I was just interested to hear what other vets have advised. Ed, His first jab at 9 weeks was Duramune, his second at 12 weeks was Vanguard and today was Vanguard again, that's another thing I found odd as I thought Duramune was a course of jabs.
Yes your right it is a course but you should not mix the jabs Duramune is not compatible with Vanguard so you would need the extra jab. When I sell my pups I always have to ring the new owners vet to find out what they give pups and then make sure they have compatible 1st jabs.

Can I just add this is my vets advice and you should always consult your own vet !!!