PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair from Prestwick airport information

Ecky Thump
20-08-2012, 07:19
I thought I would reintroduce "Angus Jim's" popular thread from the old Tenerife forum.

Does anyone know when Ryanair will release flight information and pricing from Prestwick to Tenerife for May 2013?

Jet2 flights for May are available now, but the cost looks expensive after adding all the extras.

Angusjim
02-09-2012, 08:41
I thought I would reintroduce "Angus Jim's" popular thread from the old Tenerife forum.

Does anyone know when Ryanair will release flight information and pricing from Prestwick to Tenerife for May 2013?

Jet2 flights for May are available now, but the cost looks expensive after adding all the extras.

I would also like to know approx dates for this we are looking to book for April to bring our grandson over any one remember when they were released last year. Hopefully Jet 2 prices are not a guide to what prices are going to be like :wow:

Ecky Thump
02-09-2012, 12:11
Thomas Cooks prices are not too bad for Tuesday flights from Glasgow, but for people with young children the flight timings are none to clever.........

Outward Journey, Arrive Tenerife at 21:45

Return Journey, Arrive Glasgow at 01:15

:(

Angusjim
05-10-2012, 09:36
Flights now available to book from start of April till end of May if anyones meets Ecky or can contact him in Tenerife let him know as he was looking to book flights for May:)

Ecky Thump
17-10-2012, 08:22
Flights now available to book from start of April till end of May if anyone meets Ecky or can contact him in Tenerife let him know as he was looking to book flights for May:)

Thanks Jim...........Now booked for May 2013, £119 Return. :spin:

No Bargains yet for October 2013, but I live in hope.;)

Angusjim
28-10-2012, 12:46
Thanks Jim...........Now booked for May 2013, £119 Return. :spin:

No Bargains yet for October 2013, but I live in hope.;)

Ecky

Glad you got a good deal for May the prices look VERY high in October. Hopefully our holiday dates will match up some time and we can have a beer together :)

i love the beach
28-10-2012, 14:32
Sorry to butt in but since you seem to know Ryanair rules quite well can you tell me, I am flying to Tenerife next week with Ryanair from Prestwick, hand luggage only, can we carry a seperate bag with snacks, duty free etc ?

Thanks x

rob897
28-10-2012, 15:50
Sorry to butt in but since you seem to know Ryanair rules quite well can you tell me, I am flying to Tenerife next week with Ryanair from Prestwick, hand luggage only, can we carry a seperate bag with snacks, duty free etc ?

Thanks x

Well if nothing has changed since last December then yes you are allowed one bag per passenger from the duty free as well as your 10 kilos cabin baggage. The situation is the same at Tenerife South [Regardless of Airline it would appear], As there are now signs up. Hopefully nothing has changed.

junglejim
28-10-2012, 15:54
I'm not sure there is anything in duty free that is cheaper than buying in Tenerife ?
Obviously sandwiches , unless you make your own , are cheaper than Ryanair food !

Ecky Thump
28-10-2012, 16:12
Ecky

Glad you got a good deal for May the prices look VERY high in October. Hopefully our holiday dates will match up some time and we can have a beer together :)

No return flights out yet for October 2013, hopefully when they are released there might be a few cheap ones.:crossfingers:

Just let me know when you are going out, I am always up for another trip out. I have booked the apartment for the whole of October 2013.....this being idle is great!!;)

karinagal
28-10-2012, 16:24

Thanks x

Me too - what day are you flying? We're flying on Thursday 1st.. I usually buy food and soft drinks to have on board in addition to my hand luggage..

macdonald5
28-10-2012, 17:19
Me too - what day are you flying? We're flying on Thursday 1st.. I usually buy food and soft drinks to have on board in addition to my hand luggage..

The few times we flew from Edinburgh with RA they were very strict on the One piece of hand luggage per person
I took a nylon type fold up carrier bag with snacks in and then put my handbag in that till I got on plane that left hubby to carry the one other bit of hand luggage

Enjoy Hols you lucky people

Ps please remember you can't get through security with drinks over 100ml

i love the beach
28-10-2012, 17:26

We fly out on Sunday 4th. thats great we planned on buying snacks & drinks to take onboard but didnt know if we would have to squeeze them into the 1 bag.

Cheers, have a great time !

rob897
28-10-2012, 17:47
you could also buy something cheap from one of the shops say a newspaper or magazine from WH smith's and just put everything else into that bag....

ciderhunter
28-10-2012, 18:10
We fly out on Sunday 4th. thats great we planned on buying snacks & drinks to take onboard but didnt know if we would have to squeeze them into the 1 bag.

You may have a job getting your drinks through security. Liquids still have to go in the hold.

Ecky Thump
28-10-2012, 18:17
You may have a job getting your drinks through security. Liquids still have to go in the hold.

If you have bought any liquid goods in the Duty Free shop, then you have already gone through security, so no problems on that one.:)

rob897
28-10-2012, 19:10
Best to get a drink in Departures, Ryan Air really expensive and very little in return last time i flew, a mini 150ml can of pepsi was only £/€2.50

you've been warned. :)

karinagal
29-10-2012, 00:25

You'll be fine - as suggested, if you have either a WH Smith or duty free bag put your food and drinks in that for carrying on board. We might pass each other on the Sunday - I'm collecting my friend Monika on Sunday morning off an Aer Lingus flight!

i love the beach
11-11-2012, 23:34
Well we are back safe & sound, cant fault Ryanair, well apart from the price of their drinks lol.

rob897
15-11-2012, 01:21
well if anyones considering flying out from Prestwick in the near future, might be wise to look at fly thomas cook at jet2 as they have some good offers from and to Glasgow International at the moment.

macdonald5
10-12-2012, 19:20
With future of Prestwick airport looking precarious , wonder what would happen with Ryanair flights from here
Is M O 'Leary interested in business op to buy ??

Ecky Thump
01-09-2014, 09:57
This is a extract from the latest Ryanair news that mentions Prestwick.

Budget airline Ryanair has confirmed that it will continue flying from Prestwick Airport next summer.

Ryanair will operate a total of 44 weekly return flights from Prestwick next summer, and 57 return flights from Glasgow.

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary said: "Ryanair is pleased to be the first airline in Scotland to launch its 2015 summer schedule, with nine new Glasgow International routes to Bydgoszcz, Carcassonne, Chania, Derry, Dublin, London Stansted, Riga, Warsaw and Wroclaw and - just as important - 16 Glasgow Prestwick routes, which will deliver 1.35 million customers per annum to and from Glasgow."

kingbaker
01-09-2014, 15:35
Oh no Asylum Seekers comin' by air n KILTS!! :p:p;):D;):p:(:confused::confused::confused:

Ecky Thump
05-09-2014, 11:45
Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Tenerife are now on sale right up to October 24th 2015:)

macdonald5
05-09-2014, 17:43
Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Tenerife are now on sale right up to October 24th 2015:)

Not cheap at£734 for 2 but £200 cheaper than Jet2 from Glasgow same dates
Edinburgh flights not released yet I notice

Ecky Thump
05-09-2014, 18:53
Not cheap at£734 for 2 but £200 cheaper than Jet2 from Glasgow same dates
Edinburgh flights not released yet I notice

I spoke to Angusjim a couple of days ago and he said that the Edinburgh flights are Being put "on and off":dontknow:

If you put a search for your desired Edinburgh flight at a earlier date than you require and then scroll across they may appear, this is how I found the Glasgow October 2015 flights, some of which are under £45 single.

Ecky Thump
23-02-2016, 22:00

Good news for Prestwick airport.:)

News courtesy of The Scotsman.:c2:

Struggling Prestwick Airport received a major boost today with Ryanair announcing its first significant increase in flights there since the Scottish Government saved it from closure three years ago.

The airline will extend summer routes from the Ayrshire airport to Barcelona, Faro and Malta to operate year-round from this autumn, and add extra flights to TENERIFE!!

It is expected to increase passengers by 12 per cent after years of decline at Prestwick, where Ryanair is the only passenger airline.

Ryanair will also launch new four Spanish routes from Glasgow Airport to Alicante, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Malaga, and increase flights to Berlin.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/major-boost-for-prestwick-airport-as-ryanair-increase-flights-1-4036318#ixzz411lCYvrY
Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook

Medman
24-02-2016, 09:48

Struggling Prestwick Airport received a major boost today with Ryanair announcing its first significant increase in flights there since the Scottish Government saved it from closure three years ago.

The airline will extend summer routes from the Ayrshire airport to Barcelona, Faro and Malta to operate year-round from this autumn, and add extra flights to TENERIFE!!

It is expected to increase passengers by 12 per cent after years of decline at Prestwick, where Ryanair is the only passenger airline.

Ryanair will also launch new four Spanish routes from Glasgow Airport to Alicante, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote and Malaga, and increase flights to Berlin.

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/major-boost-for-prestwick-airport-as-ryanair-increase-flights-1-4036318#ixzz411lCYvrY

And maybe (hopefully) "The Donald" will play the Trump card and start flying into Prestwick from the States (when he is El Presidento) . :D

fixer
24-02-2016, 11:00
Anyone book flights from Prestwick on 24th December says its full did they release this date?

kingbaker
24-02-2016, 11:07

Jeeeeze Ecky!! Snp saving Prestwick.............and building ships on the Clyde!! You'll be praising our Nic yet and giving her a no.1 ;):D:doh::doh:

Next time I meet either, I'll say ''Ecky says hellllooooo'';);)

Thats the vote...not the finger:lol:

Ecky Thump
24-02-2016, 11:15
Jeeeeze Ecky!! Snp saving Prestwick.............and building ships on the Clyde!! You'll be praising our Nic yet and givine her a no.1 ;):D:doh::doh:
Next time I meet either, I'll say ''Ecky says hellllooooo'';);)

Thats the vote...not the finger:lol:

Is this crap from you going to continue throughout the Brexit campaign (a repeat of the Crap that you posted throughout the Scottish independence vote), I'm sure that there must be some Irish affairs that could keep you occupied and out of harms way.;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Anyone book flights from Prestwick on 24th December says its full did they release this date?

The date was open for a few days and then showed full, are they trying to fill flights for the 22nd Dec at £164 and then reopen the 24th. ???

This is the latest news as reported by the Daily Record.

Budget airline Ryanair had a number of new international flight services to its 2016 winter schedule from Scotland.

The airline will launch new twice weekly services from Edinburgh to Bologna, Italy; Bordeaux, France; Bratislava, Slovakia; Gran Canaria; Palma, Majorca; and Poznan. Poland in its winter 2016 schedule.

Ryanair will also increase the frequency of flights to Spanish cities Alicante, Malaga and Barclona; Copenhagen, Denmark; Rome, Italy and Tenerife.

Ryanair’s chief marketing officer, Kenny Jacobs, said: ““We are pleased to launch our Edinburgh winter 2016 schedule, which includes six new winter services to Bologna, Bordeaux, Bratislava, Gran Canaria, Palma and Poznan, and more flights on six other routes, which will deliver 2.5 million customers p.a. and support 1,900 jobs, as we grow our Edinburgh traffic by 20 per cent.”

Ryanair is also adding four new services from Glasgow Airport to its winter schedule, to Alicante and Malaga, Spain; and Lanzarote and Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.

The budget airline is also launching three new services from Glasgow Prestwick – where it is currently the only carrier - to Barcelona and Madrid, Spain and Faro, Portugal.

Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs said the new routes would “deliver over 1.8 million customers p.a. and support 1,400 jobs at Glasgow and Prestwick airports”.

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/business/business-news/ryanair-adds-13-new-destinations-7425023#GsxoSTRA2IAUDv1p.99

melm
24-02-2016, 16:39
Good news for the employees at Prestwick airport:mexicanwave:

fixer
25-02-2016, 14:04
Now not showing any December / January flights on web site.

Ecky Thump
25-02-2016, 14:14
Now not showing any December / January flights on web site.

It seems that they are testing market demands....it's the same from Manchester, one minute on then gone! :dontknow:

Angusjim
25-02-2016, 14:15
It seems that they are testing market demands....it's the same from Manchester, one minute on then gone! :dontknow:

Hope they dinnae drop in price:eek::eek:

TOTO 99
25-02-2016, 16:39
Hope they dinnae drop in price:eek::eek:

It's dropping out of the sky you need to worry about mate...:laugh:

melm
25-02-2016, 21:59
Just booked Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Tenerife on 20th December for £87.99 each. Plus luggage of course. No complaints from me,,,,,,,,,,,great price.:)

bennoa1
25-02-2016, 22:48
Still got nothing beyond end of October????? I really don't like Ryanair but flights are cheap enough and times are good for us.
Just tried checking Prestwick to Tenerife and doesn't even recognise Tenerife as a route from Prestwick - the new site is nearly as bad as the flight experience.

Ecky Thump
25-02-2016, 23:01
Still got nothing beyond end of October????? I really don't like Ryanair but flights are cheap enough and times are good for us.
Just tried checking Prestwick to Tenerife and doesn't even recognise Tenerife as a route from Prestwick - the new site is nearly as bad as the flight experience.

Try the Ryanaire app, it's showing flights up the end of December 2016 from Prestwick to Tenerife. :)

tfs1
25-02-2016, 23:30
Try the Ryanaire app, it's showing flights up the end of December 2016 from Prestwick to Tenerife. :)

The website has been doing some odd things today regarding searches, prices are displayed and a few minutes later gone and then a while later back again - maybe due to the release of flight prices for later this year and into 2017.

Hopefully will settle down soon.

junglejim
25-02-2016, 23:50
I booked Dec/January return flights for 2016/17 yesterday for me going home and friend coming out to use my apt. their flights coming and going were 20-30 quid dearer than mine for reverse journeys?

macdonald5
26-02-2016, 10:50
Just booked Ryanair flights from Prestwick to Tenerife on 20th December for £87.99 each. Plus luggage of course. No complaints from me,,,,,,,,,,,great price.:)

By comparison just checked Skyscanner Edinburgh/ Tenerife Dec/ Jan......£905 plus £100 luggage !!!!! Ouch
Ryanair availability comes and goes on screen

fixer
26-02-2016, 10:54
Still no 24th December showing fully booked wonder if its really full.

bennoa1
26-02-2016, 11:13
Can see Scottish airports on skyscanner for December but no Brum or East Mids showing.

macdonald5
26-02-2016, 11:26
Can see Scottish airports on skyscanner for December but no Brum or East Mids showing.

Think they're all playing a waiting game ! Jet2 flights are out from Edinburgh and Glasgow but eye watering costs...they not showing on Skyscanner so might be worth looking on sites direct for your flights

fixer
26-02-2016, 11:28
How about this don't all rush to book now! £1471 for two persons no luggage or booked seats.
GLASGOW INTL to Tenerife South TFS
Dep Fri 23 Dec 2016 08:45
Arr Fri 23 Dec 2016 13:25
Flight LS155
2 Adults 2 x £322.20 Taxes and Charges Included
Was £716.00
Your Saving £71.60
Sub-total £644.40
Show breakdown

Tenerife South TFS to GLASGOW INTL
Dep Sat 07 Jan 2017 14:35
Arr Sat 07 Jan 2017 19:25
Flight LS156
2 Adults 2 x £413.10

Taxes and Charges Included
Was £918.00
Your Saving £91.80
Sub-total £826.20
Show breakdown

Bags Both Ways
Hand Baggage Only FREE

Total: £1470.60
about this dot al go rushing to book now!

Ecky Thump
26-02-2016, 11:38
How about this don't all rush to book now! £1471 for two persons no luggage or booked seats.
Flight LS155
Was £716.00
Your Saving £71.60
Sub-total £644.40
Show breakdown
Flight LS156
2 Adults 2 x £413.10

Was £918.00
Your Saving £91.80
Sub-total £826.20
Show breakdown

Bags Both Ways
Hand Baggage Only FREE

Total: £1470.60
about this dot al go rushing to book now!

Whose that flying with?

Angusjim
26-02-2016, 11:45
Whose that flying with?

Would have to be Jet 2 :eek:their prices are unbelievable I have no idea how they manage to fill their planes to Tenerife but in saying that Mrs Mac is a frequent flyer with them :whistle:
I have said it before Tenerife has nothing to offer that would induce me to pay that sort of money :spin::spin:

fixer
26-02-2016, 11:46
sorry Jet rip off 2

Despite owning in Tenerife ill not pay that kind off money pure rip off someone must pay it!

Ecky Thump
26-02-2016, 11:55
sorry Jet rip off 2

Despite owning in Tenerife ill not pay that kind off money pure rip off someone must pay it!

I still miss "Globespan" from Glasgow, good prices and service.

Did anyone apart from me have the dubious pleasure of flying with "Air Scotland" ?

macdonald5
26-02-2016, 13:35
Yes we miss Globespan too, fondly remember a one off flight at £99 each return !!
Jet 2 have lost us now too.....they have broken my 'glass ceiling'
Saying that any flight we have been on with them is full so some people still willing to fork out
If little flexibility with holiday dates or accommodation availability that's where Jet2 score, first out !!
Think we done Air Scotland a couple of times way back

Also done the Airbus with upstairs one time

blondie
26-02-2016, 16:09
Globespan was our all time favourite , could read them like like a book and knew exactly when to book , We got many a bargain with them I have to say.
Booked one day and off the next . We have never been ones to book way ahead to get Ryanairs best prices . We are off again 29th March for 2 weeks ,
a package with Thomson . I think the early Easter has caught them out this year as we got a really good deal but 3 nights later the holiday went up £500.
As for Jet 2 god knows how they fill their planes , a complete rip off company , its a dear price to pay for 22 kgs luggage , that is all they offer as far asI am concerned . Oud friends booked them to fly last week to Tenerife to get a nice morning flight , yip , they changed it to the afternoon 2 days before they flew .

macdonald5
26-02-2016, 18:09
Globespan was our all time favourite , could read them like like a book and knew exactly when to book , We got many a bargain with them I have to say.
Booked one day and off the next . We have never been ones to book way ahead to get Ryanairs best prices . We are off again 29th March for 2 weeks ,
a package with Thomson . I think the early Easter has caught them out this year as we got a really good deal but 3 nights later the holiday went up £500.
As for Jet 2 god knows how they fill their planes , a complete rip off company , its a dear price to pay for 22 kgs luggage , that is all they offer as far asI am concerned . Oud friends booked them to fly last week to Tenerife to get a nice morning flight , yip , they changed it to the afternoon 2 days before they flew .

I suspect they want to only do holidays to maximise profit from hotels, seem to be discouraging flight only customers

melm
26-02-2016, 21:50
[QUOTE=fixer;512372]How about this don't all rush to book now! £1471 for two persons no luggage or booked seats.
Flight LS155
Was £716.00
Your Saving £71.60
Sub-total £644.40
Show breakdown

Flight LS156
2 Adults 2 x £413.10

Was £918.00
Your Saving £91.80
Sub-total £826.20
Show breakdown

Bags Both Ways
Hand Baggage Only FREE

Just checked Ryanair prices departing Prestwick 22nd December (one day earlier) returning 7th January £815.96 no luggage or booked seats included in this price. Quite a difference if you can go on this date.

This site is really playing up. When I looked earlier today no flights for December were available and now they are showing till 22nd December. :confused:

Guess who is going to Tenerife tomorrow.:heyhey: Early start flying from Prestwick at 6.15am.

Ecky Thump
26-02-2016, 22:00
[QUOTE=fixer;512372]How about this......

Guess who is going to Tenerife tomorrow.:heyhey: Early start flying from Prestwick at 6.15am.

Have a good holiday, but when you drive past my house in the morning, please don't blow your horn.:p

melm
26-02-2016, 22:03
[QUOTE=melm;512531]

Have a good holiday, but when you drive past my house in the morning, please don't blow your horn.:p

And I was going to drop in for an early morning cuppa and a bacon roll:yum:

Ecky Thump
26-02-2016, 22:05
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;512543]

And I was going to drop in for an early morning cuppa and a bacon roll:yum:

If you had told me earlier, I would have thrown the Grandson out and offered you B&B....at a very good rate!;)

melm
26-02-2016, 22:13
[QUOTE=melm;512545]

If you had told me earlier, I would have thrown the Grandson out and offered you B&B....at a very good rate!;)

I'll give you more notice next time but its got to be mates rates. Need my pennies to pay for all these ever increasing airfares. Always nice to have your grandson overnight, I have two granddaughters who come and stay from time to time.

bennoa1
26-02-2016, 22:53
I can se the Prestwick lights into Jan, but nothing for BHX or EMA yet.

bennoa1
01-03-2016, 11:10
Can also see Manchester flights but still no BHX or EMA flights. I contacted Ryanair and asked when they would be released and I was told around 6 months in advance. When I mentioned about other airports listing flights into 2017 they had no response - useless. So have to now check daily. To be fair Norwegian also list 2017 flights from Manchester but nothing from BHX beyond October. Lets hope they both haven't pulled out of the TFS route or that could make my choices very limited.

Ecky Thump
25-04-2016, 08:48
I have just received this email below from Ryanair, I wonder if they are using Prestwick Airport as a trial with a view to introducing it to other airports....I for one won't be making use of the service, a extra return journey to the airport, plus parking fees to save thirty minutes on the day of departure.

Dear Customer,

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. From 1st April 2016 customers travelling on an early morning flights, departing Glasgow Prestwick, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service.

• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 – 22:00 the evening before your scheduled flight at Glasgow Prestwick Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

macdonald5
25-04-2016, 08:53
Yes Ecky would only be advantageous if you stayed very close to airport !!

Ecky Thump
25-04-2016, 08:59
Yes Ecky would only be advantageous if you stayed very close to airport !!

The only advantage as you say is if you are stay very close to the airport or at a hotel airport, no taxi or parking fees and you don't want your cases in your room......there has somewhere got to be a cost saving to Mr. O'Leary or he wouldn't be introducing this service, but what the saving is to him ??? :dontknow:
fixer

blondie
25-04-2016, 13:50
I don't see the point of this , what are you going to save in the way of time for a start. I have never been in a queue to check in at Prestwick ever .
The only thing is if you are staying at a nearby hotel you wont have the bother of lugging your cases about in the morning of your journey . Cant see either whats in it for Uncle Mickey but there must be something or he wouldn't be doing it . Have a lovely holiday Ecky .

fixer
25-04-2016, 15:07
Just maybe as the aircraft sit at Prestwick over night they will be able to load baggage earlier and get faster departures or just another publicity gimmick to say how nice Ryanair are these days.

Ecky Thump
25-04-2016, 18:20
I don't see the point of this , what are you going to save in the way of time for a start. I have never been in a queue to check in at Prestwick ever .
The only thing is if you are staying at a nearby hotel you wont have the bother of lugging your cases about in the morning of your journey . Cant see either whats in it for Uncle Mickey but there must be something or he wouldn't be doing it . Have a lovely holiday Ecky .

I shall do my very best.:c2:

Prestwick airport has almost come to a standstill, if it wasn't for Ryanair's few daily flights and the odd military aircraft there wouldn't be any one there to be seen.

Ecky Thump
30-07-2016, 10:08
Can anyone remember when Ryanair release their April/May flight schedule from Prestwick to Tenerife?

macdonald5
30-07-2016, 21:02
Can anyone remember when Ryanair release their April/May flight schedule from Prestwick to Tenerife?

Sorry cannot help Ecky Thump ,we've not used Ryanair for wee while
We trying Norwegian Air after Jet2 jump prices
Pity Angus Jim away to hear how he got on

Ecky Thump
30-07-2016, 21:56
Sorry cannot help Ecky Thump ,we've not used Ryanair for wee while
We trying Norwegian Air after Jet2 jump prices
Pity Angus Jim away to hear how he got on

Thanks. We did look at Norwegian Air, but it's not really cost effective or time to travel to Edinburgh. We live in hope that they start flying from either Prestwick or Glasgow! ;)

macdonald5
31-07-2016, 10:13
Thanks. We did look at Norwegian Air, but it's not really cost effective or time to travel to Edinburgh. We live in hope that they start flying from either Prestwick or Glasgow! ;)

We could throw you a cup of coffee and slice of toast as you flew along M8 !!
We've got two bookings with NAir now at good prices so hope all goes well and we're not peddling the plane
Ps see Prestwick is costing taxpayers £600,00o a month !!

Ecky Thump
31-07-2016, 10:35
Ps see Prestwick is costing taxpayers £600,00o a month !!

I wonder if it's pressure from NATO that it's kept open as there are quite a few military planes using the airport. What money from the NATO budget goes into it, I have no idea. The Fairlie Marina is now used commercially, but is still ultimately under the control of the MOD/NATO, but no one sees or hears of much usage from them, maybe the odd Fishery Protection boat or some foreign military gun boat berths there for a few days. :dontknow:

melm
31-07-2016, 18:54
There was talks sometime back re a Spaceport at Prestwick airport. Any further news on this?

macdonald5
31-07-2016, 20:12
There was talks sometime back re a Spaceport at Prestwick airport. Any further news on this?
If I remember Newquay was also in the frame with Prestwick melm ,take it it's still 'being considered'

Ecky Thump
31-07-2016, 20:38
If I remember Newquay was also in the frame with Prestwick melm ,take it it's still 'being considered'

Your right, I found this article from the Herald Scotland. I don't know from when......

PRESTWICK Airport has welcomed senior NASA staff as the airport's chief executive said its long-standing relationship with the US space agency made it the leading candidate to be the UK's first spaceport.

Prestwick 'leading candidate' for spaceport, says chief executive as he welcomes senior NASA staff to airport

PRESTWICK Airport has welcomed senior NASA staff as the airport's chief executive said its long-standing relationship with the US space agency made it the leading candidate to be the UK's first spaceport.

Dan Hartman, NASA's Deputy Space Station Programme Manager, and Peggy Whitson, a former NASA Chief Astronaut, were at the Ayrshire base to facilitate the return of US astronaut Barry Wilmore, who had just arrived at Prestwick on a flight from Kazakhstan after spending six months on the Space Station two hundred and fifty miles above the Earth.

Captain Wilmore, a former Navy test pilot, left for the space station in September as Commander of Expedition 42 to carry out research and maintenance accompanied by Russian cosmonauts Alexander Samokutyaev and Elena Serova.

The mission included three spacewalks at the space station to help prepare for the arrival of "space taxis" - US commercial spacecraft that will allow crews to dock there in the future.

Iain Cochrane, chief executive of Prestwick Airport, said: "We have an excellent and long-standing relationship with NASA and they are delighted with the expert and professional service they receive here.

"We are an important link in the chain linking the USA and NASA with the Space Station. After the Space Shuttle was retired from service in 2011, the US was left with no space transport capability for their astronauts.

"That meant the only way to access the International Space Station was via the Russian Soyuz rocket which launches from Kazakhstan.

"On their return from the Space Station, the American astronauts are flown back to the US by a Gulfstream jet which stops at Prestwick to refuel.

"Perhaps more importantly, here at Prestwick they get their first proper shower after six months in space."

He added: "I believe our work with NASA plus the pre-eminent role the Prestwick Aerospace Cluster plays in the UK aerospace industry make us the leading Spaceport candidate."

Ecky Thump
08-09-2016, 18:53
Ryanair have today released their summer 2017 flights.

I've now booked for May 2017. :D

£280 return including extra legroom and luggage.

macdonald5
08-09-2016, 21:06
Ryanair have today released their summer 2017 flights.

I've now booked for May 2017. :D

£280 return including extra legroom and luggage.

Great price Ecky !! We have £320 with Norwegian Air from Edinburgh in May and thought that great price

Ecky Thump
08-09-2016, 21:23
Great price Ecky !! We have £320 with Norwegian Air from Edinburgh in May and thought that great price

Wait until Susief23 sees these posts, as she finds always seems to find return flights for £69 !! :D

macdonald5
08-09-2016, 22:12
Always 'someone' getting better bargain than us ??
Good news with Ryanair additional routes from Glasgow and Prestwick !!

Ecky Thump
09-09-2016, 08:54
Always 'someone' getting better bargain than us ??
Good news with Ryanair additional routes from Glasgow and Prestwick !!

The total fares for next May have worked out at £30 per person less than this September......not a lot, but it will buy a decent meal and a pint at the Linaris2 restaurant, unless of course Medman decides to make a surprise visit! :D

Medman
09-09-2016, 09:07
The total fares for next May have worked out at £30 per person less than this September......not a lot, but it will buy a decent meal and a pint at the Linaris2 restaurant, unless of course Medman decides to make a surprise visit! :D

I might just do that !

macdonald5
09-09-2016, 11:08
Ours were £600 less ,changing from Jet2 to Norwegian Air
Lots of meals and decent gins with that saving !!
Dec/ Jan saved £1000 Think will book another cruise with the savings !?

Carol55
27-10-2016, 23:21
Just back from Tenerife a few (two) days ago and arrived at Prestwick and I was surprised by the activity of difference airlines at Prestwick, there were several military planes, which was to be expected, plus a Thompson and a Jet2 plan there???

fixer
28-10-2016, 16:19
Be doing pilot training also new aircraft maintenance base opening in Prestwick .

Angusjim
07-05-2017, 08:20
We fly tomorrow from Prestwick first time for at least a couple of years from Prestwick. We are staying at a local hotel with parking tonight decent price around £70 incl parking and are going to use the bag drop facility which will be open tonight 8.00pm - 10.0pm which will save a bit of time for our early flight on Monday 6.25am:tiphat:

AndyG
07-05-2017, 08:27
It's lovely here this morning and the forecast is good. Have a great holiday!

Ecky Thump
07-05-2017, 09:51
We fly tomorrow from Prestwick first time for at least a couple of years from Prestwick. We are staying at a local hotel with parking tonight decent price around £70 incl parking and are going to use the bag drop facility which will be open tonight 8.00pm - 10.0pm which will save a bit of time for our early flight on Monday 6.25am:tiphat:

Oh Dear oh Dear oh Dear. You have let the down the myth that 'Scotsmen' are tight fisted! :D

Ryanair check in at Prestwick is super fast and to be brutally honest Jim, it won't have saved you any time, only the inconvenience of lugging cases about at 4am.

Sorry that we won't be at home to give you a 'wee dram' as you drive past, but I think fixer will be in residence and very close by. :scotland:

Angusjim
07-05-2017, 09:58
Oh Dear oh Dear oh Dear. You have let the down the myth that 'Scotsmen' are tight fisted! :D

Ryanair check in at Prestwick is super fast and to be brutally honest Jim, it won't have saved you any time, only the inconvenience of lugging cases about at 4am.

Sorry that we won't be at home to give you a 'wee dram' as you drive past, but I think fixer will be in residence and very close by. :scotland:

An extra 15 minutes in my bed and as you say nae lugging about cases. I think Fixer is even mare tight fisted than you so I will just pass:doh:

fixer
07-05-2017, 19:49
An extra 15 minutes in my bed and as you say nae lugging about cases. I think Fixer is even mare tight fisted than you so I will just pass:doh:

Me tight fisted i dont pay for parking at Prestwick !yes and ill be just across the runway from before 6am.

Manor Park?

Angusjim
09-05-2017, 17:52
Me tight fisted i dont pay for parking at Prestwick !yes and ill be just across the runway from before 6am.

Manor Park?

That's the place not great but does the job

Ecky Thump
06-06-2017, 18:18
I've just picked up my son and his wife from Prestwick Airport and due to the recent terrorists activities I was expecting that there might have some increase in the security there, but not one policeman was to be seen and a man who appeared to be some form of security staff, was busily involved in moving luggage trolleys!

AndyG
06-06-2017, 18:34
I flew back to Tenerife the day after the Manchester atrocity. There were no visible delays at Birmingham but passport control at TFS was VERY slow. It usually takes a few minutes to get through but it took around 40 minutes. I don't mind at all but it was odd that they were still only glancing at each passport so I don't know why it took that amount of time.

Chine
06-06-2017, 22:36
I flew back to Tenerife the day after the Manchester atrocity. There were no visible delays at Birmingham but passport control at TFS was VERY slow. It usually takes a few minutes to get through but it took around 40 minutes. I don't mind at all but it was odd that they were still only glancing at each passport so I don't know why it took that amount of time.

agree with this ,we flew out to TFS the same day from bhx and were in the first 30 or so people at passport control it took ages to get through very unusual , i noticed that the 2 officers in each booth were only working from 1 computer screen and seemed to be overseeing each others work, whether that was tightening the border or system problems i hope its not going to carry on like that it will be a nightmare in the busy times

Ecky Thump
07-06-2017, 08:57
agree with this ,we flew out to TFS the same day from bhx and were in the first 30 or so people at passport control it took ages to get through very unusual , i noticed that the 2 officers in each booth were only working from 1 computer screen and seemed to be overseeing each others work, whether that was tightening the border or system problems I hope it's not going to carry on like that [B it will be a nightmare in the busy times

I'm of the opposite opinion, I do hope that it carries on as it's time that security at the UK border controls do tighten its control, too many people have appeared to slip in and out of the UK with what has appeared with ease. I would rather queue for that extra bit of time than see some terrorist slip through the net.

tfs1
07-06-2017, 09:05
I came over on Sunday and at TFS all passports were being scanned, as they do when you enter the UK, rather than the cursory look the TFS passport control guys previously gave.

The 2 staff each had their own screen but were sharing the passport scanner. Clearly they are becoming more security aware about who comes into Tenerife - can only be a good thing.

It didn't take too long to get through, maybe I got lucky.

I'm flying to Spain from Tenerife this week so will be interested to see what happens, normally there are no passport control staff checks on departure or arrival.

Chine
07-06-2017, 09:44
I'm of the opposite opinion, I do hope that it carries on as it's time that security at the UK border controls do tighten its control, too many people have appeared to slip in and out of the UK with what has appeared with ease. I would rather queue for that extra bit of time than see some terrorist slip through the net.

i was talking about TFS but while we are on the subject the problem lies higher up than a queue at border control, it lies with the level of threat to security that the persons pose, these people dont hide there identity whilst travelling so should be flagged up at the moment of booking tickets, im all for more security but it has to start at the top

Ecky Thump
07-06-2017, 10:20
i was talking about TFS but while we are on the subject the problem lies higher up than a queue at border control, it lies with the level of threat to security that the persons pose, these people dont hide there identity whilst travelling so should be flagged up at the moment of booking tickets, im all for more security but it has to start at the top

I'm in agree with you, it's got to be from the top and travel companies should be involved in a 'red flag' system, but it will take all countries to tighten up and continue with a higher degree of security at all border entries and exits, all it will take is one popular country like Tenerife to allow these terrorists unrestricted movement, then that will be the choice of these murdering scum, that's why I was advocating a prolonged period of high alert, both in the U.K. and Tenerife.

Our UK airports are certainly a 'soft target' for terrorists as can be seen at some of our provincial airports, like Prestwick which is not only used by us as normal travellers, but NATO aircraft use it as well and as I had pointed out earlier, yesterday there was not one policeman to be seen....only one lone bored looking security guard, who was involved in moving luggage trolleys. :-(

tfs1
07-06-2017, 11:22
I'm in agree with you, it's got to be from the top and travel companies should be involved in a 'red flag' system, but it will take all countries to tighten up and continue with a higher degree of security at all border entries and exits, all it will take is one popular country like Tenerife to allow these terrorists unrestricted movement, then that will be the choice of these murdering scum, that's why I was advocating a prolonged period of high alert, both in the U.K. and Tenerife.

Our UK airports are certainly a 'soft target' for terrorists as can be seen at some of our provincial airports, like Prestwick which is not only used by us as normal travellers, but NATO aircraft use it as well and as I had pointed out earlier, yesterday there was not one policeman to be seen....only one lone bored looking security guard, who was involved in moving luggage trolleys. :-(

Maybe, like other UK airports, there were plain clothed armed police around who merged into the background and look like tourists including having a suitcase etc.