PDA

View Full Version : Diving Where's the best place to do novice snorkelling in Tenerife South?

jono
20-08-2012, 17:14
Hi
Be over end of next week.
I would like to do some novice snorkeling.
Think I need some shallow water to get my sea legs, or maybe hang out with a more competent group.
anyone got any ideas, I would be pleased to hear them.
reg
jono

Ed3229
20-08-2012, 17:38
I started at Las Vistas Beach.....Gentle slope out and you can snorkle nr the groynes if your careful...

http://www.arona.travel/portal/turismo/panorama.jsp?panorama=RecursosWeb/IMAGENES/1/0_13760_1.mov&preview=RecursosWeb/IMAGENES/1/0_13760_1_bis.jpg

chifleta
20-08-2012, 18:08
if you go somewhere a bit more pebbly/rocky you can see more fish normally... buy some jelly shoes, we all wear them (well us that are of an age where we really don't care how unfashionable we look .... or want to just save our feet and stop ourselves looking like idiots trying to walk into the rocky water LOL)

deepdivejunkie
20-08-2012, 19:20
Many dive centres offer snorkel excursions. Some take you out on the boat, and will take you to the best spots. All equipment is usually supplied on these trips so you don't need your own. These are recommended for the more novice as you don't need to worry about surface currents and sea conditions... so safer, and may prove more enjoyable.

chifleta
20-08-2012, 19:28
ahhh LOL I thought he meant just normal snorkelling hahahaha...... ooops

Ecky Thump
20-08-2012, 19:44
Hi
Think I need some shallow water to get my sea legs, or maybe hang out with a more competent group.
reg
jono

Try only putting about 6" of water in the bath!:p

jono
21-08-2012, 10:59
if you go somewhere a bit more pebbly/rocky you can see more fish normally... buy some jelly shoes, we all wear them (well us that are of an age where we really don't care how unfashionable we look .... or want to just save our feet and stop ourselves looking like idiots trying to walk into the rocky water LOL)

Hi
Thanks for your advice.
I have just read a previous thread about Alcala, that sounds good,
We will be staying in the Porto Colon area.
Any one know the best way for me to get there? , bus if pos, or walk maybe.
Might even tackle the dive boat once I got my sea legs sorted..:ducky::
Of to buy my Jelly shoes, would`nt hit the beach without em :surfer:
reg
jono

deepdivejunkie
21-08-2012, 11:38
For Alcala, catch the bus for Los Gigantes from Las Americas. (Its a long walk up there to Alcala).
Also La Caleta is good and a short walk along the coast from Puerto Colon

chifleta
21-08-2012, 11:47
agree Deepdivejunkie... La Caleta is lovely and a nice walk that way too ... i'm going to live in a huge villa up that way when I win the lottery :-)

Vortex Wake
21-08-2012, 11:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY6nGQPGg1c

chifleta
21-08-2012, 15:13
I couldn't snorkel there Vortex, i don't like waves LOL ... give me a nice calm bay, but not a sandy bay as you don't see as many fish, it has to be rocky, but not choppy :D

deepdivejunkie
21-08-2012, 16:19
Abades beach is fine if you don't mind travelling up that direction.
A little nearer is Playa Tejita at Montana Roja.... you only need to wear fins, mask and snorkel :cheeky:

jono
24-08-2012, 15:48
Hi
Can anyone give advice on where I can purchase a decent face mask,
for snorkeling in tenerife.
reg jono

deepdivejunkie
24-08-2012, 15:57
Hi
Can anyone give advice on where I can purchase a decent face mask,
for snorkeling in tenerife.
reg jono

Almost any dive centre will sell you one, or sports shop here. Don't bother with the endless shops with beach toys for sale as the cheapy masks may well be unsafe and could shatter.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

When trying out a mask to buy. Test first by placing the mask on your face without the strap over your head. Breath in through your nose. Whilst doing this, let go of the mask... it should stay in position on your face if it is a good fit.

karinagal
25-08-2012, 09:38
Many dive centres offer snorkel excursions. Some take you out on the boat, and will take you to the best spots. All equipment is usually supplied on these trips so you don't need your own. These are recommended for the more novice as you don't need to worry about surface currents and sea conditions... so safer, and may prove more enjoyable.

I'm keen to try snorkelling.. Only ever tried it once before and that was on the Great Barrier reef in Australia. I was extremely nervous at first. I'm an ok swimmer, but not particularly strong. Do you do these excursions from Amarilla Golf?

The undisputed queen of de-nial

deepdivejunkie
25-08-2012, 09:58
I'm keen to try snorkelling.. Only ever tried it once before and that was on the Great Barrier reef in Australia. I was extremely nervous at first. I'm an ok swimmer, but not particularly strong. Do you do these excursions from Amarilla Golf?

Have a word wih Amarilla Divers, they are at Apartments Aguamarina Golf. They may be able to sort you out, plus they have the fins, mask and
snorkel, and a shorty wetsuit if the sea's a bit chilly.

karinagal
25-08-2012, 10:05
Have a word wih Amarilla Divers, they are at Apartments Aguamarina Golf. They may be able to sort you out, plus they have the fins, mask and
snorkel, and a shorty wetsuit if the sea's a bit chilly.

Errr.... Me in a wetsuit..... I would probably look like a stray Orca baby in need of rescuing before a fatal beaching....!!! :D I'll call in and see them when I'm over. Thanks!

davship
07-09-2012, 09:03
Hi
reg
jono

jono
Contact Tenerife Divers at tropical park in Callao salvaje they offer all kinds of courses.

Torero
04-06-2013, 00:16
Reopening an old thread here I understand, but is there any chance for someone to just rent snorkeling equipment for a couple either at Las Galletas or La Caleta?

El Puertito looks a little rough round the edges on Google Maps- maybe it's my time on the mainland but parking the car in a place like that is asking for trouble there...not being a Canario I don't know if it's any different here..!