PDA

View Full Version : Make sure you take out personal contents insurance if you rent in Tenerife

curlytop
21-08-2012, 13:22
I have been renting an apartment which has contents insurance (as taken out by the owner) and having recently been burgled, the owner was confident that the items stolen were covered under the umbrella of his policy.
I reported the incident at the Police Station in Granadilla, and was provided with a copy of the denuncia which was then forwarded to both the owner and the insurance company.
This morning an insurance assessor visited the property and I have been informed that because the items belonged to me rather than the insured person, I am unable to claim for anything.
I've also learnt that because I'm a tenant, if a fire starts due to a fault on any electrical items belonging to me, I would be liable for any damage caused not only to the owners property, but also for any other property which may be affected as a result.
So, in a nut shell if you are unfortunate enough to be broken into, or you have a fire and you're not personally insured, make sure you have your big liar head on and disclose that any stolen or fire damaged items belong to the owner. (That's if they are insured for contents and are willing to agree with this) or better still, take out your own contents insurance.

Ed3229
21-08-2012, 15:24
I have been renting an apartment which has contents insurance (as taken out by the owner) and having recently been burgled, the owner was confident that the items stolen were covered under the umbrella of his policy.
I reported the incident at the Police Station in Granadilla, and was provided with a copy of the denuncia which was then forwarded to both the owner and the insurance company.
This morning an insurance assessor visited the property and I have been informed that because the items belonged to me rather than the insured person, I am unable to claim for anything.
I've also learnt that because I'm a tenant, if a fire starts due to a fault on any electrical items belonging to me, I would be liable for any damage caused not only to the owners property, but also for any other property which may be affected as a result.
So, in a nut shell if you are unfortunate enough to be broken into, or you have a fire and you're not personally insured, make sure you have your big liar head on and disclose that any stolen or fire damaged items belong to the owner. (That's if they are insured for contents and are willing to agree with this) or better still, take out your own contents insurance.

Same in UK....landlord insurance covers named items kitchen units/bath etc (must say when getting insurance as is extra) not tenants contents.
It down to tenant to insure his/her OWN things.
I tell my tenants this when renting from me....